PDA

View Full Version : WOW!!! Hand Sanitizer has dual purpose!!

David@whiteblaze
09-05-2009, 18:31
I was scrounging around looking for a good fluid that would light for testing a new stove i plan on trying out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcrW27Leo4w&feature=related (with a pepsi bottle:D, of course.) and i randomly saw hand sanitizer and thought about an article 'round here that i saw a while back about how hand sanitizer can be used to start a fire, anddecided to try it, i put about 1/10 of a can of hand sanitizer in a soda (pop) can bottom that i cannibalized and threw a lit match at it (you know, sorta like the way you light a charcoal gril...) the match hissed and went out (fail) then, the match turned black on the bottom sorta like it was (gasp) lit! i saw how there was a bit of heat rising from the can and put it in the grill, closed the lid, walked away for a minute for more sanitizer, came back and looked, and the thermometer read 600 DEGREES(F)!!! i played around until i was sure that my dad would strangle me if he found out and juiced it up to 800 degrees. just sayin, i think ill be bringing lighter fluid, i mean, hand sanitizer w/ me on the trail, i mean imagine the result of throwing a travel size bottle in a fire!!! just sayin, if you take the time to look, try it for yourself, although, dont use a real alky stove, it leaves a horrid residue.

saimyoji
09-05-2009, 18:34
pay more attention in science class. :)

David@whiteblaze
09-05-2009, 18:43
what? they dont do any hands on that deals with flame, im just stating biology

Tuckahoe
09-05-2009, 19:12
S-t-e-r-n-o

Blissful
09-05-2009, 20:13
Good to find these things out ahead of time, just be careful with experiments!

My son thought the dry ice you can get from some grocery stores the neatest stuff to experiment with.

Rockhound
09-05-2009, 20:18
I tried a third use for it once but i would not recommend it. Grabbed the wrong bottle during a self abuse session and it dried up my winkie. At least it was germ free after.

David@whiteblaze
09-05-2009, 20:48
oooooooooookkkkk... i didnt need to know that...

Tinker
09-05-2009, 20:55
Alcohol burns. Alcohol is in hand sanitizer. Hand sanitizer burns. No surprise.
Don't count on it as your primary fuel, but it can be a fire starter in emergency conditions. Sterno has more alcohol. Alcohol (100% denatured) is better than hand sanitizer for cooking or starting fires. Ninety-one percent isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol probably burns better than hand sanitizer, but not at very cold temperatures (you could keep it inside clothing layers to help it vaporize and burn) and you can use it as a hand sanitizer and a treatment for cuts.
Experimentation is fun. Keep it up.

Don H
09-05-2009, 20:57
Maybe you should read this before you continue playing with alcohol;

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080712/STATE/80712006

A 17-year-old Boy Scout from Burlington County has died after suffering burns Sunday during what was called a "ring of fire" demonstration at a camp here. Sean Whitley of Evesham in Burlington County died Thursday afternoon at the Temple University Hospital Burn Unit in Philadelphia.

Hooch
09-05-2009, 21:05
If you're looking for something to start a campfire with, I'd use something that burns longer to have plenty of time to get the fire built up. Try cotton balls dipped in melted parafin wax, burns much longer. IMO, alcohol burns off too fast.

David@whiteblaze
09-05-2009, 21:24
wow... i have heard all of my grandpas horror stories about how many times he's almost hospitalized and or killed himself by doing something dumb (in certain cases... do what i say, not what i do) not to blow you off, in other words heeding your warning, but i dont want you hoping i dont kill myself, i know to fill containers w/ water before refilling them, or at least putting my hand over and in until i can tell if its producing heat. and when you light vapourous gases, throw match, dont hold. i wont be experimenting once i find a good source (or bring myself to buy some denatured alky) so dont think that i will continue in my pyromaniacial ways.)

Tinker
09-05-2009, 21:38
If you're looking for something to start a campfire with, I'd use something that burns longer to have plenty of time to get the fire built up. Try cotton balls dipped in melted parafin wax, burns much longer. IMO, alcohol burns off too fast.

As a fire starter, rubber bicycle tubes cut into squares work nicely (smoke like crazy and STINK too), but I think the young man is looking for something to cook with, primarily. There's dryer lint with vaseline (very good) or dryer lint with wax, or cut up squares of waxed cardboard milk cartons (or what have you). Vaseline smeared cotton balls stored in an old 35 mm film cannister (I know, what's that?) is an old-time proven favorite.

David@whiteblaze
09-05-2009, 23:45
Well, I appreciate your thoughtfulness but I will eventually buy denatured alky and have the real deal.

mkmangold
09-06-2009, 00:44
Science beats English in this discussion.
Keep up the experiments, just be prepared for emergencies.
I like waiting until dark to do my alcohol fuel experiments (as I hope Pebble Puppy did) since the flames are visible. Just don't throw water on it: it only spreads the flame.

Maddog
09-06-2009, 01:39
I tried a third use for it once but i would not recommend it. Grabbed the wrong bottle during a self abuse session and it dried up my winkie. At least it was germ free after.:bananathats the funniest thing ive heard all day! thanks bro!:banana

Wolf - 23000
09-06-2009, 04:51
We all know alcohol burns. Hand sanitizer is contains a good amount of alcohol. Why would you not know it could be used to start fires? If your carrying it inside your pack you should know what it is and what it can and can not be used for.

Wolf

Bearpaw
09-06-2009, 11:03
A couple of drops are great for getting an esbit tab going when it's windy.

yaduck9
09-06-2009, 11:15
We all know alcohol burns. Hand sanitizer is contains a good amount of alcohol. Why would you not know it could be used to start fires? If your carrying it inside your pack you should know what it is and what it can and can not be used for.

Wolf

Check the age of the poster, give the guy a break.

He was only trying to communicate the multiple uses of an item. He should be encouraged ( carefully ) not criticized.

We were all that age once.;)

yaduck9
09-06-2009, 11:18
I was scrounging around looking for a good fluid that would light for testing a new stove i plan on trying out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcrW27Leo4w&feature=related (with a pepsi bottle:D, of course.) and i randomly saw hand sanitizer and thought about an article 'round here that i saw a while back about how hand sanitizer can be used to start a fire, anddecided to try it, i put about 1/10 of a can of hand sanitizer in a soda (pop) can bottom that i cannibalized and threw a lit match at it (you know, sorta like the way you light a charcoal gril...) the match hissed and went out (fail) then, the match turned black on the bottom sorta like it was (gasp) lit! i saw how there was a bit of heat rising from the can and put it in the grill, closed the lid, walked away for a minute for more sanitizer, came back and looked, and the thermometer read 600 DEGREES(F)!!! i played around until i was sure that my dad would strangle me if he found out and juiced it up to 800 degrees. just sayin, i think ill be bringing lighter fluid, i mean, hand sanitizer w/ me on the trail, i mean imagine the result of throwing a travel size bottle in a fire!!! just sayin, if you take the time to look, try it for yourself, although, dont use a real alky stove, it leaves a horrid residue.

a small box of baking soda is good to have around to extinguish a fire, check it out.Look for it in the baking section of the supermarket, about a buck (?) a box.

Gray Blazer
09-06-2009, 11:27
Yet another use, but, I wouldn't recommend it.......kds are drinking it for a buzz.

Desert Reprobate
09-06-2009, 12:01

I might have been that age once but it was in another century.

Manwich
09-06-2009, 12:19
cool Story, Bro!

Tuckahoe
09-06-2009, 17:52

He was only trying to communicate the multiple uses of an item. He should be encouraged ( carefully ) not criticized.

LOL learning the samethings that I think we all learned at that age as well... I think by that age, I discovered the use of WD-40 and a Zipo lighter and what a great flamethrower that made. By 15 we had built RPGs using PVC and bottle rockets :eek:

Manwich
09-06-2009, 18:24
LOL learning the samethings that I think we all learned at that age as well... I think by that age, I discovered the use of WD-40 and a Zipo lighter and what a great flamethrower that made. By 15 we had built RPGs using PVC and bottle rockets :eek:

glad to know i'm ahead of the game. by that age, i made my own flamethrower using a PVC tube, compressor, lacquer thinner and torch.

yaduck9
09-06-2009, 19:01

I believe "we" use to take estes B6-4 model rocket engines and the mailing tube they were shipped in to make a home made bazooka....:eek:

I am surprised I have made it this far.......:-?

ChinMusic
09-06-2009, 21:57
***** burn too.

David@whiteblaze
09-07-2009, 00:29
Wow... I found and bought some ethel alky so I jerry-rigged a soda can stove and it boiled 2 cups of water in grill in half hour. I need an aluminum bottle so bad. Hoping to find one online tomorrow or would that b today zzzzzzzz.

David@whiteblaze
09-09-2009, 17:16
will post failed (or discontinued) stove protos soon. justgotta get 1 to work.

Mags
09-09-2009, 17:20
Vaseline smeared cotton balls stored in an old 35 mm film cannister (I know, what's that?) is an old-time proven favorite.

I have some in my campfire starter box. (For truck camping).

When backpacking, I find a campfire is nice..but if it is really cold, well that's what my $$$$ sleeping bag and shelter are for. :) Warm clothing, a good sleeping bag and a shelter is gonna keep me warmer than a campfire.

(I am sure you know that..just emphasizing for our dear readers. :sun)

As for fire starting tools when young...we called this "Magic Boyscout Water":

https://store.bcf.com.au/Images/Common/310556.jpg

sbhikes
09-14-2009, 14:24
Hand sanitizer works great for getting pine sap off your hands. Can get the stickiness of pine sap off fabric, too, but might leave the stain behind.