PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Weather Service

Pedaling Fool
09-05-2009, 20:11
How do they get these temps? http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/weather.php

According to them from their website:

ATDB WEATHER DATA:
Current and forecasted weather conditions included in the database are derived from the NOAA public SOAP weather service and subject to the disclaimers found here (http://www.sophiaknows.com/atdb/about.html#).

The ATDB builds a daily table of 7 day NOAA weather forecasts for each waypoint in the database at 1 a.m. each day. Current conditions reported in the database are derived from this table and may be up to 24 hours old.

Links to 7 day forecasts included in the various summary and detailed waypoint lisitings return the results of a live query to NOAA service via the Sophiaknows NOAA weather client.
The listings displayed in the pop up client window represent the most recent available conditions and forecast data for the target waypoint.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

I wonder how accurate the current temps (min - max column) are, since they don't have instruments in most of these locations. Anyone have any information on this service and how they get the temps?

Del Q
09-05-2009, 20:31
Interesting website, if this is right all hikers better get themselves and Arc!

Feral Bill
09-05-2009, 21:21
The weather service extrapolate forcasts for uninstrumented sites by comparison with the instrumented sites. They take into account relative location and elevation.

MkBibble
09-07-2009, 12:16
Interesting website, if this is right all hikers better get themselves and Arc!

Funny. I have been watching this sight for about a month. I must admit that I didn't keep any sort of a log, but I am fairly certain that it has said "chance rain showers" (or something like that) every time I have looked. I had decided that the site was not being updated... guess I was wrong.

garlic08
09-07-2009, 12:40
There is a known 'adiabatic lapse rate' for stable air masses of a given humidity--from about -3.5 degrees F per 1000' for dry air to about -5 degrees F per 1000' for humid air. You can do your own extrapolation if you don't have the forecast handy.