PDA

View Full Version : preventive knee medication

aquaman1208
09-06-2009, 15:03
Does anyone use chondroitin or glucosamine to treat knee pain? or use as part of a regimen to prevent knee problems?

emerald
09-06-2009, 15:09
Glucosamine is mentioned here regularly. Earlier threads and posts can be located with the search feature.

A good place to begin learning about this topic is MedlinePlus (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-glucosamine.html).

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-glucosamine.html (http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-glucosamine.html)

Both links point to the same page.

Think Spring
09-06-2009, 15:54
In addition to that information provided by MedlinePlus or other similar sources, may I add that this 'somewhat senior hiker' has used both in pill form for the last two years upon the recommendation of a GREAT sports medicine doc here in Cincinnati. Seems to have helped me; I'm still getting out there and lovin' every minute of it.:sun

Jonnycat
09-06-2009, 16:48
I buy the big green bottle from Wal*Mart and take two of them (recommended dose is three) with my lunch.

emeggke
09-06-2009, 18:19
Both my husband and I use this. I wrenched my knee a couple of years ago and if I forget to take them for more than a couple of days, my knee reminds me! I watch for Buy 1 get 1 free sales at Walgreens.

brotheral
09-06-2009, 18:19
Does anyone use chondroitin or glucosamine to treat knee pain? or use as part of a regimen to prevent knee problems?
I've been taking, mainly, Osteo Biflex Advanced religiously for the last 7 years as preventative... Have no joint aches or pain. I did this on advice from a friend that jogged every am and still does....
I always catch the buy one get one free and have $5.00 coupon for each bottle.. Sure keeps the price reasonable... Usually at Kroger :) !!
Also: I'm 58 and feel great :banana !!

saimyoji
09-06-2009, 18:22
if you are having knee pain it is appropriate to seek out the source of the pain. GA/Chond. may not be the thing for you. They do work great for arthritic knees and those whose knees lack natural lubricant, but if your problem is muscular in nature, they may not work. :)

Knox gelatin in your tea or coffee also works very well.

emerald
09-06-2009, 18:31
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration does not strictly regulate herbs and supplements. There is no guarantee of strength, purity or safety of products, and effects may vary. You should always read product labels. If you have a medical condition, or are taking other drugs, herbs, or supplements, you should speak with a qualified healthcare provider before starting a new therapy. Consult a healthcare provider immediately if you experience side effects.
The quote above is toward the bottom of the MedlinePlus link in my earlier post. I thought it might be a good idea to post it given the amount of interest this thread could generate considering some readers have been known skip linked information.

Surplusman
09-06-2009, 19:03
Glucosamine and chondroitin have worked for me, easing osteoarthritis pain in my hands and especially my knees. I know it doesn't work for everybody, but I noticed a very decided improvement after I started taking it. Walking and hiking are pretty much pain-free activities now. Today I hiked up some of the steep old logging roads to the summit of Provin Mountain here in Western MA. It's not Mt. Everest, and it's not even Mt. Everett, but it's a good workout. And I don't have any joint pain. I'm 62 going on 63, and a stroke survivor.

emerald
09-06-2009, 19:08
I've heard some advocates benefit only when they take both, twice daily at 12-hour intervals. Are those who have benefited taking both in this manner?

Blissful
09-06-2009, 20:05
I take mega glucosomine 750 mg, AM and PM. I went off it for a month one time and my knee pain returned. Works great. I get mine through Swanson mail order.

shelterbuilder
09-06-2009, 20:45
I have two bad knees ( dormatory hi-jinx for one, bicycle accident for the other), and have been taking glucosamine sulphate (1000 mg 2x daily) for years - Wal-mart, in the large economy bottle!! G.sulphate is cheaper than glucosamine and chondroitin...have tried both...seem to get better results from G.sulphate alone. Taking half of the daily dose twice a day seems logical - if you're on antibiotics, you don't take your daily dose all at once, do you?? No, you spread it out, so that the blood-levels don't drop below a certain level. (No, I'm not a doctor....)

As it has been pointed out, these supplements don't work for everyone, but they are worth a try. Give it 2 to 3 weeks; if there's going to be improvement, you should see it by then.

I've also found that by keeping the leg muscles in good, toned-up working order, some of my pain can also be eliminated - I guess that, if the knee structures are being held in proper place by strong muscles, things inside the knee don't get "rubbed the wrong way".

brotheral
09-06-2009, 20:57
[quote=emerald;890387]I've heard some advocates benefit only when they take both, twice daily at 12-hour intervals. Are those who have benefitted taking both in this manner?[/quot
I take 2 Triple Strength tablets every morning with my breakfast. Also drink plenty of fluids (water / juice) Directions say: Take 2 tablets daily. That's how I take them :rolleyes:

emerald
09-06-2009, 21:20
I've heard some advocates benefit only when they take both, twice daily at 12-hour intervals. Are those who have benefitted taking both in this manner?
I take 2 Triple Strength tablets every morning with my breakfast. Also drink plenty of fluids (water / juice) That's the directions...:rolleyes:

I'll take that as a no. Thank you for your reply.:)

emeggke
09-06-2009, 22:03
We take ours in the am only.

Doctari
09-06-2009, 22:26
What hasn't been mentioned; Some (Most?) say take 2X the recomended dose for the first week to build to a theraputic level. Also, for the most part, what you are taking this Sunday is for your knees Next Sunday (give or take a day or so) & etc.

FWIW: I find that the combo of Glucosamine & Chondrioten works better than just Glucosamine alone.

Surplusman
09-07-2009, 15:07
I should have added in my earlier post that I do take glucosamine/chondroitin in the morning and evening according to the following formula:

Less than 120 lbs: 1000mg glucosamine, 800 mg chondroitin total daily

Between 120-200 lbs: 1500 mg glucosamine, 1200 mg chondroitin total daily

200 lbs +: 2000 mg glucosamine, 1600 mg chondroitin total daily

Divide each dosage in half and take 1/2 in the a.m. and 1/2 in the p.m. I cut the tablets in half with a scissors.

It usually takes about 6 weeks to see (feel??) results. Then reduce the total daily dosage. How much you want to reduce it is up to you.

Again, this has worked for me. It may not work for you. I still get some joint pain in my hands and knees infrequently, but it is nothing like before, and I don't take anti-inflammatories.

brotheral
09-07-2009, 15:55
For those of you that are into cutting costs: I just came home from Kroger. They had a bottle of 120 + 24 free =144 Triple Strength Osteo-BiFlex Advanced on sale @ buy one get one free. On this particular item, if you buy only one they charge you half price. Because I had just one ($6.00) coupon that's what I did. Paid $15.20 minus $6.00 = $9.20 for 72 day supply.:sun
Directions; Take 2 caplets per day with food. As a reminder, discuss the supplements and medications you take with your health care providers.
Note: YOU have the option of taking 2 caplets together or spread throughout the day.
2 caplets have: 1500mg Glucosamine, 1250mg Chondroitin / MSM complex, 1350mg joint shield, 100mg 5-Loxin
I don't know what all this means...:confused:
And Finally: You can clip and save the barcode from bottom of box, accumulate points and submit for decent savings...

Blue Jay
09-08-2009, 09:33
if you are having knee pain it is appropriate to seek out the source of the pain. GA/Chond. may not be the thing for you. They do work great for arthritic knees and those whose knees lack natural lubricant, but if your problem is muscular in nature, they may not work. :)

This is exactly corect. If you take it easy for the first week or 2 the muscles around your knee will get a chance to develop enough to work correctly.

Just a Hiker
09-08-2009, 10:00
For those of you that are into cutting costs: I just came home from Kroger. They had a bottle of 120 + 24 free =144 Triple Strength Osteo-BiFlex Advanced on sale @ buy one get one free. On this particular item, if you buy only one they charge you half price. Because I had just one ($6.00) coupon that's what I did. Paid $15.20 minus $6.00 = $9.20 for 72 day supply.:sun
Directions; Take 2 caplets per day with food. As a reminder, discuss the supplements and medications you take with your health care providers.
Note: YOU have the option of taking 2 caplets together or spread throughout the day.
2 caplets have: 1500mg Glucosamine, 1250mg Chondroitin / MSM complex, 1350mg joint shield, 100mg 5-Loxin
I don't know what all this means...:confused:
And Finally: You can clip and save the barcode from bottom of box, accumulate points and submit for decent savings...

Rite-Aide Pharmacy up here in Maine has the same "Buy one Get one Free" deal on Osteo-BiFlex. It's a good deal and I really feel that the stuff works. I hiked from Caratunk to Stratton this past Holiday Weekend and my knees felt really good. My knees used to really hurt after doing the Bigelows, but the Osteo-BiFlex has really helped.

onesocktwin
09-08-2009, 10:52
I have read that Glucosamine & Condroitin raises cholesterol levels. Has anyone experienced this? My levels were high when last check and I have since stopped the G&C. My physician said he was unaware of this side effect.

emerald
09-08-2009, 11:18
I have read that Glucosamine & Condroitin raises cholesterol levels.

Your source? Not everything read online is accurate and you no doubt realize you may not be describing a cause and effect relationship. Did your cholesterol drop once you stopped taking g&c?

onesocktwin
09-08-2009, 11:48
Sorry, I don't remember the source but it was an online discussion regarding the benefits and side effects of G&C. Just curious if anyone had personal experience. I am genetically predisposed to high cholesterol and do not take prescription meds for it due to side effects from trying Lipitor and Crestor.