PDA

View Full Version : weather

Complete Sarah
07-28-2004, 10:15
I am planning on starting from Springer at the end of next May and hiking along the AT up to Harpers Ferry. What is the coldest weather I can expect to encounter up in the mountains during the summer months?

TedB
07-28-2004, 11:20
Mountain weather isn't the most predictable thing in the world, but low 40's seems like a reasonable number. The cold nights would be mainly at a few of the higher sections of the trail, such as the Smokies.

The NPS has some temperatures in the Smokies:
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/gsmsite/natureinfo.html

Most of the trail will be somewhere between the temperatures for the lower elevation Gatlinburg, TN and the higher elevation Clingmans Dome, TN.

Have a wonderful hike.

Flash Hand
07-29-2004, 18:23
I am planning on starting from Springer at the end of next May and hiking along the AT up to Harpers Ferry. What is the coldest weather I can expect to encounter up in the mountains during the summer months?

Sarah,

I hiked on March 22, and stopped at Mt. Rogers National Recreation Area, and I had encountered only about 3 coldest weather, but mainly during the night during your sleep.

So, your starting in May, you wont have problem with cold weather but humidity and sweating. Your sweats could fill up a gallon jug in a day.

Flash Hand :jump

Hikerhead
07-29-2004, 18:49
I hammocked a couple of weeks ago between Standing Indian shelter and the top of the mtn and darn it got right cold. I had my head inside my summer bag and wished I had brought the bottoms to my zip-off pants.