PDA

View Full Version : Outsak-Press Bot /Wonderful Gear

IsleRoyale2009
09-07-2009, 10:45
On this forum I recently read about a product called "outsak". Several users on this site were talking about this new product, as an alternative for food storage.

Another product called the "press bot" was loaned to me by a co-worker.

These are 2 new pieces of gear for me. The first-the outsak I read about on this forum while preparing for an August trip to Northern Michigan. I read about the wildlife on the Island and decided I needed something more than a nylon bag. I did some internet searching and found a lot of info available on Outsak and some similar products. One of which had scores of bad reviews. I mean bad reviews, really bad. The others I couldn't find out any real info. Anyways, I used the outsak for a 5 day trip, and it performed remarkably well. I'm skeptical about spending money on anything that doesn't have a proven track record. I reluctantly ordered a medium(39.99) from Simple Outdoor Solutions, it was at my door 3 days later. The package directed me to their website, to view some videos on how to use the bag. My one complaint about their videos is they seem to be focused on the southwest. There is no bear hanging video, only an indication that it is usable for hanging your food. I see several posts on this forum about folks using this bag in black bear country. To keep it short-it worked well. I had a couple rough nights with the setup of the bear hang, but who doesn't. Throwing a rock in the air at the end of the day just doesn't make for a relaxing time...I think you all know what I mean. On the third day I waked past a camp that was cleaning up the debris from an obvious overnight attack, I just kept going, thankful that I had a stainless steel bag to store my food. Outsak works, it ships for free.

The other piece of gear was the Press-Bot. Its a french press that fits inside a nalgene. It folds in half and fits inside. I'm can't really explain how, lets just say it takes some practice. I'm a coffee junky, and the singles get old. I used this press bot with a nalgene insulated water bottle holder and it kept my coffee hot for 2 hours in the morning. I could make my coffee, strap the holder to my waistbelt and sip a quart of coffee while starting out each morning. Did I say it kept my coffee HOT for 2 hours. Walking with coffee is a wonderful thing. My only complaint with the press bot is practice with it, before you need to use it. It did frustrate me a bit at first, once I got the motion down to get it out of the bottle, it worked wonderfully. Great idea.

Both of these items will accompany me on all trips in the future. An outsak stainless steel bag is better than nylon, and a press bot...well lets just say the coffee gods a smiling.

saimyoji
09-07-2009, 11:05
by outsack do you mean ursack?

http://www.ursack.com/

BrianLe
09-07-2009, 19:58
Nope, I believe he means Outsak,
http://www.simpleoutdoorstore.com/Outsak.html

Not meant to be bearproof, the focus is keeping smaller critters out of your food.