PDA

View Full Version : SteriPen water purifier

mundo
09-07-2009, 10:54
Has anyone used the SteriPen on the AT? If so, how well did work? Were you satisfied with it, would you recommend it to others? battery life, ease of use etc.

Lyle
09-07-2009, 11:07
Take a look at these current threads:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53608&highlight=steripen

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53799

Welcome to WB. :welcome

Spokes
09-07-2009, 11:08
Save the heartache................ buy Aqua Mira.

lazy river road
09-07-2009, 12:03
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53608 this was my first question to WB as well...I just joined a little ago and started this thread has some good info in it...read what summit has to say

Summit
09-07-2009, 13:49
:welcome mundo to WB! Check out the numerous other Steripen threads. Just about everything possible to discredit the Steripen has been raised . . . but IMHO unsuccessfully defended. But at the end of the day, I acknowledge that it may not be the device everyone should use. But it will remain the device I use until something better / more advanced comes along. :)

FamilyGuy
09-07-2009, 14:37
The Steripen only works in clear water. Any floaties and it is only partially effective.

Requires batteries which drain a lot quicker in colder weather.

The bulb is glass and fragile.

It has no effect on worm eggs.

I could go on but I get bored.

ChinMusic
09-07-2009, 15:01
The Steripen only works in clear water. Any floaties and it is only partially effective.

Requires batteries which drain a lot quicker in colder weather.

The bulb is glass and fragile.

It has no effect on worm eggs.

I could go on but I get bored.
You've already bored me........:rolleyes:

The detractors of this effective product are like a broken record, thread after thread.

Floaties are not an issue.....just swirl the water around as per directions.

Lithium batteries are solid at cold temps.

Bulb is no more fragile than a filter. If one is a klutz then stick with chems....but I suspect you'd spill them too.

Jonnycat
09-07-2009, 15:54
The detractors of this effective product are like a broken record, thread after thread.

So are the proponents.

Some people like Steripen, some people like filters, some people like chems.

We each have a unique set of circumstances in which we backpack. For me, a filter makes the most sense. For others, a Steripen or chems make the most sense to them.

The only difference is that I am right, and everyone who doesn't agree with me is wrong. :D :banana :D :banana :D

ChinMusic
09-07-2009, 16:19
So are the proponents.

You mean those that actually use one......;)

Some people like Steripen, some people like filters, some people like chems.

And I never said that chems or filters didn't work........quite a difference.

I KNOW the Steripen works. I get sick and tired of those that do not use one nor understand the technology denigrating it.

FamilyGuy
09-07-2009, 16:42
You've already bored me........:rolleyes:

Floaties are not an issue.....just swirl the water around as per directions.

Lithium batteries are solid at cold temps.

Bulb is no more fragile than a filter. If one is a klutz then stick with chems....but I suspect you'd spill them too.

Aw shucks - the the Steripen Defender has arrived, and managed a personal attack as well.

Should you ever have to use it in really cloudy water don't bother bringing immodium - the effects should show up 2 weeks forth.

Anyone recommending this product should also recommend chemical back up. Electronics tend to fail all the time. As far as battery failure - have a look at www.backpacking.net. Great thread about lithium battery failure in the Adventurer models. And lo and behold, several posts about the Steripen failing in the field.:welcome

Lyle
09-07-2009, 16:57
Hey, this was the guy's first post here at WB. Why do we have to re-hash the same arguments? Particularly getting personal about it.

Some like Steripen, some don't, some feel it's fine but choose to use something else. Just leave it at that. The OP can get all the information he needs to decide what he wants to try first by reading the other threads that were referenced.

Again mundo, welcome to WB. Not everything is a hotly argued as this, but a lot is. :D

Don't take it personal, there is a lot of information available here on WB, not much of it is the be-all, end-all. Just a lot of valid opinions. You'll have to make up your own mind about a lot of things. For most things there is no one right answer.

ChinMusic
09-07-2009, 17:04
Should you ever have to use it in really cloudy water don't bother bringing immodium - the effects should show up 2 weeks forth.
Everyone should have a backup. Mine is micropur tablets. Have had to use them ONCE due to turbid water.

Anyone recommending this product should also recommend chemical back up. Electronics tend to fail all the time.

Any system can "fail". Steripen can break. Filters can break, clog, crack from freezing, etc. Chems can be spilled or take too long due to poor conditions.

It is specious to repeatedly harp on the possible failure of a Steripen while ignoring the rest.

Egads
09-07-2009, 17:06
SteriPen water purifier

Steripen is not a purifier, it is a sterilizer and kills the bacteria & viruses

FamilyGuy
09-07-2009, 17:07
Keeping all honest. What is better? To 'harp' on the Steripen's good points while ignoring the rest or to 'harp' on the Steripen's bad points while ignoring the rest?

People should do their due diligence and make an informed decision.

Lyle
09-07-2009, 17:08
Steripen is not a purifier, it is a sterilizer and kills the bacteria & viruses

Actually, I think it just alters their DNA so that they cannot reproduce and thus cannot colonize the drinker's GI tract. Doesn't actually kill them.

mundo
09-07-2009, 17:39
Thanks for the info, I'll also check out the other threads i'm still learning my around this site

bumpass
09-12-2009, 17:42
Steripen is super fast. I keep micropur for backup as well as an extra set of batteries. I also just cut a 2 liter pop bottle and mark it for half and 1 liter and then fill my camel back.

flemdawg1
09-12-2009, 18:58
Steripen is super fast. I keep micropur for backup as well as an extra set of batteries. I also just cut a 2 liter pop bottle and mark it for half and 1 liter and then fill my camel back.

They've done research that for a 2 liter container/bladder you can just run the Steripen twice and it's still effective.

Summit
09-12-2009, 21:50
People should do their due diligence and make an informed decision.I have . . . and I choose and use a Steripen. Use what you want and leave off the personal attacks.

MikenSalem
09-13-2009, 00:05
I hate Steripen! :mad: It takes to long to get the water done and "floaties" keep it from working (personally if thats what I think it is :eek:..... I ain't drinkin it anyway) it eats a $5 battery a minute and the little glass bubble breaks when you throw it at animals or try and force it into ice cubes. I'm also told that soon they will come out with a model that takes your temperature but personally why :confused: I'm "exit only"!!

SO; For those who own Steripens and have came to the conclusion, as I have, that they are useless proponents of electron migration causing radiation emission subsequently altering the ability of cellular division rendering small innocent simple cell and certain larger primitive life unable to propagate and are inherently wickedly mean. I strongly urge that you should immediately, without profit, divest yourself of said gadget, far far below retail asking, please PM me and I shall endeavor to remove you from that hated device's clutches. :-?

Should no one come forth then I will have to assume this is a site full of sadists :datz who's only wish is to maim bacteria, protozoans and other lower life forms. I shudder to hear their tiny underwater scream bubbles. :eek: :eek:
Their as bad as those segregationists and poisoners who also do their best to cancel Christmas for the little gems......

Oh! Howdy Mundo :welcome welcome to WhiteBlaze :D

Summit
09-13-2009, 00:11
I hate Steripen! :mad: It takes to long to get the water done and "floaties" keep it from working (personally if thats what I think it is :eek:..... I ain't drinkin it anyway) it eats a $5 battery a minute and the little glass bubble breaks when you throw it at animals or try and force it into ice cubes. I'm also told that soon they will come out with a model that takes your temperature but personally why :confused: I'm "exit only"!!

SO; For those who own Steripens and have came to the conclusion, as I have, that they are useless proponents of electron migration causing radiation emission subsequently altering the ability of cellular division rendering small innocent simple cell and certain larger primitive life unable to propagate and are inherently wickedly mean. I strongly urge that you should immediately, without profit, divest yourself of said gadget, far far below retail asking, please PM me and I shall endeavor to remove you from that hated device's clutches. :-?

Should no one come forth then I will have to assume this is a site full of sadists :datz who's only wish is to maim bacteria, protozoans and other lower life forms. I shudder to hear their tiny underwater scream bubbles. :eek: :eek:
Their as bad as those segregationists and poisoners who also do their best to cancel Christmas for the little gems......

Oh! Howdy Mundo :welcome welcome to WhiteBlaze :DTough choice . . . all of the above or none of the above? I'll choose both! :rolleyes:

bumpass
09-13-2009, 15:35
Mikensalem....you are too funny! :D

Cannibal
09-14-2009, 01:14
I used one on the Florida Trail (lots of cloudy water), on the AT (lots of floaties), and on the Colorado Trail (plenty of cold). I haven't gotten sick once so I guess I'm the recipient of at least 3 miracles. Some kind of divine intervention must be keeping the fragile crystal from shattering when I look at it funny. :rolleyes:

Then again, I think the ground sucks so I sleep in a hammock that weighs at least 48 pounds and will someday cause me to freeze to death. So believe what you will.

flemdawg1
09-14-2009, 14:07
Then again, I think the ground sucks so I sleep in a hammock that weighs at least 48 pounds and will someday cause me to freeze to death. So believe what you will.

Ya know you don't have to carry that metal hanging frame w/ you. You can just hang the hammock from the trees. ;)

Cannibal
09-14-2009, 14:23
Ya know you don't have to carry that metal hanging frame w/ you. You can just hang the hammock from the trees. ;)
:D
I'll have to look into these things you call trees. :-?

MikenSalem
09-14-2009, 14:33
I used one on the Florida Trail (lots of cloudy water), on the AT (lots of floaties), and on the Colorado Trail (plenty of cold). I haven't gotten sick once so I guess I'm the recipient of at least 3 miracles. Some kind of divine intervention must be keeping the fragile crystal from shattering when I look at it funny. :rolleyes:

I suppose you're not selling me yours on the cheep either :mad:

Cannibal
09-14-2009, 14:47
I suppose you're not selling me yours on the cheep either :mad:
Nope, it's got sentimental value. :D

jersey joe
09-14-2009, 15:37
I was in campmor this past weekend examining the different water purification options and one of the guys in there came over to help. He was very nice, but pointed me to the Katadyn Filter and dismissed the Steripen and chemical treatments. He did explain them to me after I pushed him to, but was strongly recommending only the filter. I've read good things about the steripen here and have seen chemicals used quite a bit on the trail, so it seemed odd to me that I was pushed so hard into the filter.

Summit
09-14-2009, 17:01
I was in campmor this past weekend examining the different water purification options and one of the guys in there came over to help. He was very nice, but pointed me to the Katadyn Filter and dismissed the Steripen and chemical treatments. He did explain them to me after I pushed him to, but was strongly recommending only the filter. I've read good things about the steripen here and have seen chemicals used quite a bit on the trail, so it seemed odd to me that I was pushed so hard into the filter.You never know . . . could be directive from managment: "We've got a lot of xyz filter inventory, so you get an extra 10% commission on it!" Not saying that is the case here, but they do that kind of thing to move inventory all the time.

You've got plenty of hands on experience here on the 238 Steripen/Filter threads on WB to make an informed decision! :)