PDA

View Full Version : Which Section of the AT has the least Elevation Change?

Captn
09-07-2009, 11:31
Well, I'm back at last.

Had to have some titanium put in the old back (had to be ultralight, of course) and I am concerned about doing my annual section hike on the AT in 2010.

Can anyone suggest a 4 or 5 day stretch that has the least elevation change on the trail? I don't know if I'll be in good enough shape to do my planned section in North Carolina.

Lone Wolf
09-07-2009, 11:35
Damascus to Dennis Cove southbound

Lyle
09-07-2009, 11:35
PA isn't too bad. Incorporate the Cumberline Valley and you'll have 18 miles of pancake.

Pedaling Fool
09-07-2009, 11:38
PA isn't too bad. Incorporate the Cumberline Valley and you'll have 18 miles of pancake.
I agree. Everyone talks about how the AT runs along a ridge, but you really get the feel of that in Pa., especially south of Duncannon.

Cookerhiker
09-07-2009, 12:34
New Jersey from the Delaware Water Gap to Lake Walkill Rd. - 56 miles. Even the ascent up Pochuck from that point isn't that bad. And the ascent from DWG to the ridegline is surprisingly easy.

All of Maryland from Harpers Ferry to PenMar is pretty easy.

Captn
09-07-2009, 17:44
New Jersey from the Delaware Water Gap to Lake Walkill Rd. - 56 miles. Even the ascent up Pochuck from that point isn't that bad. And the ascent from DWG to the ridegline is surprisingly easy.

All of Maryland from Harpers Ferry to PenMar is pretty easy.

I've heard a lot about Maryland ... the elevation change looks on par with the rest of the AT ...

Can you elaborate on what makes this easier than, say, Springer to Neels, which is a section I'm familiar with?

Better switchbacks? Better grading?

Maryland looks interesting mainly because I have friends near there which would make logistics a heck of a lot easier.

Captn
09-07-2009, 17:52
I think I answered my own question after reading the Articles.

Thanks