PDA

View Full Version : The perfidy of ConAgra

Marta
09-07-2009, 18:16
Swiss Miss Pick-Me-Up has been discontinued by the manufacturer. My heart is broken. There is NOTHING as good as this marvellous brew for putting heart into a hiker on a cold morning. It turns my husband from a sullen log with his head hidden inside the sleeping bag into a happy hiker once again. This is a disaster!!!

warraghiyagey
09-07-2009, 18:37
He could always freebase Pepsi. . .

saimyoji
09-07-2009, 18:41
those BASTARDS. :mad:

Skidsteer
09-07-2009, 18:41
Swiss Miss Pick-Me-Up has been discontinued by the manufacturer. My heart is broken. There is NOTHING as good as this marvellous brew for putting heart into a hiker on a cold morning. It turns my husband from a sullen log with his head hidden inside the sleeping bag into a happy hiker once again. This is a disaster!!!

One of the sub-headings of Murphy's Law. If you ever find anything of good value, true advertising, perfect fit, general all around righteousness, etc., buy a wheelbarrow full 'cause the bastards will discontinue it just to spite you.

Sorry for your loss Marta. :sun

warraghiyagey
09-07-2009, 18:42
those BASTARDS. :mad:

http://media.southparkstudios.com/media/images/206/206_dead_kenny.gif

Old Grouse
09-07-2009, 18:44
One of the sub-headings of Murphy's Law. If you ever find anything of good value, true advertising, perfect fit, general all around righteousness, etc., buy a wheelbarrow full 'cause the bastards will discontinue it just to spite you.

Amen, Brother!

Desert Reprobate
09-07-2009, 18:54
Try here. I don't know if they will sell a wheelbarrow full. http://www.nationwidecandy.com/snacks/items/06221.htm
If that doesn't work try mixing some NoDoz in his chocolate.

sarbar
09-07-2009, 18:55

Sorry for your loss Marta. :sun

No kidding!!!! Whenever I seem to find the 'most awesome ever food for hiking' they take it away :mad: My husband is used to me now stockpiling :rolleyes: Example: the baked Nissin ramen noodles, recently taken away - I found a store with tons in stock. Bought I think around 125 packs? The store manager came over to stare at my cart. What-ever! :D

Jester2000
09-07-2009, 19:30
Started using this on the PCT last year. Was planning on having it be my on-trail morning drug of choice. Drat.

Mags
09-07-2009, 19:40
Damn...67 mg of caffeine per cup not bad.

OTOH, the el cheapo Folgers Coffee Bags have ~115 mg per cup. Woo hoo! :)

Marta
09-07-2009, 21:06
Try here. I don't know if they will sell a wheelbarrow full. http://www.nationwidecandy.com/snacks/items/06221.htm
If that doesn't work try mixing some NoDoz in his chocolate.

You are a genius! 10 boxes ordered. (The expiration date of the stuff is about three weeks from now, but I figure they're good for at least another year. After that I'll just have to smash them up with a hammer or a rock before adding the water.)

We've got at least one cheery winter ahead of us.

This past March, we were having a winter weekend in the Smokies. Spent the night at a shelter. It was packed with spring breakers and other weekend hikers. I got up, fired up the Svea, boiled some water, and made David's Swiss Miss Plus. I ducked past the tarp back into the shelter, lifted the sleeping bag from around his head, said, "Service with a smile," and handed him his hot chocolate.

Suddenly the morning bustle of people packing and whatnot totally died. You could have heard a pin drop. As I ducked back out of the shelter, one of the UGA girls who was hiking with her boyfriend said, plaintively, "I wish someone would do that for ME."

David said it made his year. The other hikers looked at him as if he were some sort of god, to rate that sort of service.

There is a method to my madness. If I do this one small thing for him, he'll carry almost any sort of heavy !@#$ when we hike together.:D

Again, I appreciate the link.

Marta
09-07-2009, 21:12
Damn...67 mg of caffeine per cup not bad.

OTOH, the el cheapo Folgers Coffee Bags have ~115 mg per cup. Woo hoo! :)

Like all the Swiss Misses, you really need to use two packets to get a decent drink. That gives you 134 mg of caffeine. Jump starts the day for sure.

Bulldawg
09-07-2009, 21:45
Like all the Swiss Misses, you really need to use two packets to get a decent drink. That gives you 134 mg of caffeine. Jump starts the day for sure.

I can't think of anything I'd rather have than two swiss misses in the morning. Blonde with long longs, yep, I'll take two!!:D:D:cool::cool:

LaurieAnn
09-07-2009, 23:07
There is always Yerba Mate. ;)

Wise Old Owl
09-07-2009, 23:26
There is always adding a pill of caffeine to any drink just ask you pharmacist for caffeine pills.

mudhead
09-08-2009, 04:00
What am I missing? How is this different from 12oz water, two packs cocoa, spoon of instant coffee?

Other than the delivery!

Marta
09-08-2009, 06:52
Some of us don't like coffee; some of us don't like instant coffee.

mudhead
09-08-2009, 07:29
So it is caffeinated cocoa, not a coffee/cocoa combo like Swiss Mochca?

kanga
09-08-2009, 08:06
You are a genius! 10 boxes ordered. (The expiration date of the stuff is about three weeks from now, but I figure they're good for at least another year. After that I'll just have to smash them up with a hammer or a rock before adding the water.)

We've got at least one cheery winter ahead of us.

This past March, we were having a winter weekend in the Smokies. Spent the night at a shelter. It was packed with spring breakers and other weekend hikers. I got up, fired up the Svea, boiled some water, and made David's Swiss Miss Plus. I ducked past the tarp back into the shelter, lifted the sleeping bag from around his head, said, "Service with a smile," and handed him his hot chocolate.

Suddenly the morning bustle of people packing and whatnot totally died. You could have heard a pin drop. As I ducked back out of the shelter, one of the UGA girls who was hiking with her boyfriend said, plaintively, "I wish someone would do that for ME."

David said it made his year. The other hikers looked at him as if he were some sort of god, to rate that sort of service.

There is a method to my madness. If I do this one small thing for him, he'll carry almost any sort of heavy !@#$ when we hike together.:D

Again, I appreciate the link.
you're a goddess marta :sun

Blissful
09-08-2009, 09:52
I go to Big Lots and buy up what is going out. Like a got a bunch of the Lipton Veggie sides.

Jester2000
09-08-2009, 11:41
What am I missing? How is this different from 12oz water, two packs cocoa, spoon of instant coffee?

Um, it weighs half as much and doesn't taste like coffee?

So it is caffeinated cocoa, not a coffee/cocoa combo like Swiss Mochca?

Correct.

Mags
09-08-2009, 13:54
Some of us don't like coffee;

What !?!??! Blasphemy.

(I'm sure Garlic is still amused from when I stumbled zombie-like into his kitchen this past Spring looking for coffee...and being told he only had tea. :D)

saimyoji
09-08-2009, 14:27
What !?!??! Blasphemy.

(I'm sure Garlic is still amused from when I stumbled zombie-like into his kitchen this past Spring looking for coffee...and being told he only had tea. :D)

hmmm....sounds like my sister in law. :)

if you need something so badly, why not bring it yourself? like warrgy and his cats.

Mags
09-08-2009, 14:42
if you need something so badly, why not bring it yourself? like warrgy and his cats.

Dad and his girlfriend only does decaf now (shudder). On my last visit, not only did I bring my own coffee, but I brought a French Press used for camping!

(Dad did have some 'bucca though for both our coffees at night. All is forgiven).

Marta
09-08-2009, 21:01
you're a goddess marta :sun

You saw the man in action last fall--he was the muscle behind the decision to carry enough water to make a dry camp on the Chunky Gal Trail. Myself...I would have been way too lazy. He'll carry the Svea. And the fuel. He'll even go fetch the water in the evening so it's sitting there next to the stove in the morning. All I have to do is get up first, light, boil, and present him with the steaming cup. It works for me.

Marta
09-08-2009, 21:02
Dad and his girlfriend only does decaf now (shudder). On my last visit, not only did I bring my own coffee, but I brought a French Press used for camping!

(Dad did have some 'bucca though for both our coffees at night. All is forgiven).

I travel with my own tea bags. Coffee drinkers can't be trusted to keep them on hand.

sasquatch2014
09-08-2009, 21:26
You know if you crush and snort two No-doze it doesn't take any water and if you snort 1/4 instant hot coco of any brand it tastes the same as it goes down. Not saying that I ever did this in college or not.

By the way have you ever noticed how close your diet in college to that on the trail are similar? Pasta, instant potatoes, tuna, and Ramen?:rolleyes:

Mags
09-08-2009, 21:39
I travel with my own tea bags. Coffee drinkers can't be trusted to keep them on hand.

I have both. Odd, but true.

Marta
09-09-2009, 07:17
Another pitfall for the hapless traveler is winding up in the home of a caffeine-o-phobe. Both coffee and tea drinkers are SOL there. Best to travel prepared.

kanga
09-09-2009, 07:54
You saw the man in action last fall--he was the muscle behind the decision to carry enough water to make a dry camp on the Chunky Gal Trail. Myself...I would have been way too lazy. He'll carry the Svea. And the fuel. He'll even go fetch the water in the evening so it's sitting there next to the stove in the morning. All I have to do is get up first, light, boil, and present him with the steaming cup. It works for me.
that does sound like the perfect trade off. i'm coming over for some pointers...:D

Roots
09-09-2009, 09:46
Another pitfall for the hapless traveler is winding up in the home of a caffeine-o-phobe. Both coffee and tea drinkers are SOL there. Best to travel prepared.

Yep...I carry both!!

Skids wasn't kidding about buying bulk when you find something you like. Ask him about his hiking shorts.. :D

sarbar
09-09-2009, 12:43
Nooo kidding! Always got a packet or two of tea, coffee and honey in my pack ;)