PDA

View Full Version : How Do I know what pack to get

lazy river road
09-07-2009, 21:11
So i have most of the essentials...stove...sleeping bag....tent...need to get a couple other randoms but my next big purchase is a pack...i dont even know where to begin...Ive been to REI...and Hudson Trail Outfiters...and i dont even konw...so I was thinking about telling WB what my goal was and poss people could steer me in the right direction....

So generally i think ill be doing 2-3 nighters...

my goal is to do a two weeker without having to resupply....

About what size back would i need to get to lets say carry apx 60pds...

i keep hearing that gregory and osprey are the best..i like the osprey with the trampoline back...

about how man litters/cubic inches should my pack be...

i def dont being ultra light being that i wont be doing many thru hikes and mostly 2-3 nighters and some week long trips here and their......so WB where do I begin

Captain
09-07-2009, 21:17
So i have most of the essentials...stove...sleeping bag....tent...need to get a couple other randoms but my next big purchase is a pack...i dont even know where to begin...Ive been to REI...and Hudson Trail Outfiters...and i dont even konw...so I was thinking about telling WB what my goal was and poss people could steer me in the right direction....

i keep hearing that gregory and osprey are the best..i like the osprey with the trampoline back...

i def dont being ultra light being that i wont be doing many thru hikes and mostly 2-3 nighters and some week long trips here and their......so WB where do I begin

it is all about fit and every model,maker is a little different good step would be go to a outfitter and get fitted so you know what size you take, then try on a few different packs with simulated weight in it, not going to simulate a week on the trail but any obvious cramping points should be pretty apparent, but if your looking for recommendation as ive said in other threads i love my northface crestone 60 its a good size without being gigantic and depending how you pack, 2 weeks of food and fuel and such should not be a problem to fit inside

Captain
09-07-2009, 21:20
it is all about fit and every model,maker is a little different good step would be go to a outfitter and get fitted so you know what size you take, then try on a few different packs with simulated weight in it, not going to simulate a week on the trail but any obvious cramping points should be pretty apparent, but if your looking for recommendation as ive said in other threads i love my northface crestone 60 its a good size without being gigantic and depending how you pack, 2 weeks of food and fuel and such should not be a problem to fit inside

another thing i would add is avoid really talking about your plans with the people who help you.. their main job is to sell and not only that but up sell " well personaly ive had several friends have problem with this cheaper pack..but now this more expensive one i never hear a complaint about it"... just focus on trying on packs and making mental note to you what models and makes feel good on you

MikenSalem
09-07-2009, 21:26
60#, you sir are a mon-is-ter. Only a monster can carry 60# and live... :DAnything more than say 35# and I'm ready for a nap and a bowl of wheaties!
Gregory has great service and their websight has sizing information and pack information as to their capacity. I have a Z55 it's good into the 40's but the Baltoro 70 or Palisade 80's go bigger. I get most of stuff on eBay it's cheeper but read the ads thoroughly. Most NWT are older models so you'll need to familiarize youself with their line if you want to save big $$ and get a current pack.

Red Hat
09-07-2009, 21:29

If I were you, I'd take a drive over to Harpers Ferry and visit the outfitter there. They are familiar with hiking, especially on the AT, and can help you out. They will steer you in the right direction better than someone at REI, in my opinion. You might also want to rethink that 60 lbs. A good Gregory could maybe do that, by why would you want to? An Osprey with the "trampoline back" would have a hard time carrying 40 lbs or so. You sure don't need that much weight for 2-3 days, or even a week, for that matter. So see a good outfitter, like the one in Harpers Ferry, and good luck!

David@whiteblaze
09-07-2009, 21:49
60#, you sir are a mon-is-ter. Only a monster can carry 60# and live... :DAnything more than say 35# and I'm ready for a nap and a bowl of wheaties!
Gregory has great service and their websight has sizing information and pack information as to their capacity. I have a Z55 it's good into the 40's but the Baltoro 70 or Palisade 80's go bigger. I get most of stuff on eBay it's cheeper but read the ads thoroughly. Most NWT are older models so you'll need to familiarize youself with their line if you want to save big $$ and get a current pack.
Ditto on the z55...

SmokeEater
09-07-2009, 21:51
Cant go wrong with ULA Pack.

Feral Bill
09-07-2009, 22:19
Unless you are going in midwinter in the far northeast, you really do not need to carry 60 pounds, ever. A two week trip with no resupply maybe 50, less if you watch weight.

Have you considered renting packs for a couple or three trips, then deciding? Or buy from REI and return it if it doesn't suit you. Or you can buy cheap on Ebay and learn what you like before comitting to an expensive pack.

skinewmexico
09-07-2009, 23:30
Cant go wrong with ULA Pack.

+1 on ULA. Unbeatable pack, unbeatable service, great reputation, made in the USA.

Franco
09-07-2009, 23:32
Well, the wise bit is to get the pack last and you are already there...
So put all of your stuff inside a strong large trash bag, possibly a white one so that it will become handy as your "liner" as well as several other things you can do with it like protecting your sleeping bag from wet walls, keeping you warm as a vapour barrier or just a groundcloth for the vestibule...
Now the great unmentioned unknown : food.
In my case I get by with about 25oz a day , however that does not give you the volume. So get together 3 days of food and multiply that weight/volume for the maximum amount of days you want your pack to carry. Don't forget to add the usual 1 quarter of water plus whatever you need to carry in your particular area between water sources.
Add your not in use clothing, medical kit, personal grooming and whatever toy you need (camera/MP3/book/game) and you should by now have the volume and the total weight your pack has to handle.
Keep in mind that the given size in liters/cu inches can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer depending on the liberal use of stretch pockets and extended collars. So fitting all of the above gear inside the pack is better than relaying on specs.
Most manufacturers have a recommended max weight for their packs, the ULA and Osprey are pretty close to my tolerance.
This is me with 7 days of food. (about 65 L between the pockets and the pack) . About 30lbs with 2 quarts of water.
At over 25 lbs I use the Aarn packs, at over 35lbs I consider staying home...
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Me-and-Aarn-2-1.jpg

Franco

lazy river road
09-08-2009, 08:51
Ok So OBV i have no concept of weight lol...I went to the ULA website and checked out some of their packs...seem simple and cheap.(they only have 4 packs to choose from so makes it simple enough)..ive also been looking at gregory and osprey...I like the gathering of goods to see what I have and how much stuff will weight...35-40 pds sounds much lighter then 60 pds...I have a 3L (wont be filled with water the whole time but figure its good for camp and washing pots etc...) I have a wisper light international...Marmot Aeros 3...a Lafuma 40 degree bag...and for 3 nights ill only need one change of clothing and pos two xtra pairs of socks...ill def try the out fitters...planning on going down to Harpers Ferry the first weekend of OCtober to do my first overnight trip so ill plan on going to the out fitters then...

Yukon
09-08-2009, 08:56
Gregory packs are the cats a$$, bomb proof and carry like cadillac's. You just can't go wrong with them...there isn't a pack on the planet I would trade my Baltoro for.

David@whiteblaze
09-08-2009, 09:09
Ok So OBV i have no concept of weight lol...I went to the ULA website and checked out some of their packs...seem simple and cheap.(they only have 4 packs to choose from so makes it simple enough)..ive also been looking at gregory and osprey...I like the gathering of goods to see what I have and how much stuff will weight...35-40 pds sounds much lighter then 60 pds...I have a 3L (wont be filled with water the whole time but figure its good for camp and washing pots etc...) I have a wisper light international...Marmot Aeros 3...a Lafuma 40 degree bag...and for 3 nights ill only need one change of clothing and pos two xtra pairs of socks...ill def try the out fitters...planning on going down to Harpers Ferry the first weekend of OCtober to do my first overnight trip so ill plan on going to the out fitters then...

Wow. Don't sweat it, my first thread was how much water do you drink wile hiking, I had a poll: how many GALLONS of water do you drink per day less than 3, 3-6, or 7+

Blissful
09-08-2009, 09:57

Tough hiking 2 weeks without a resupply at 1.5 to 2 pounds of food a day, on average (esp for a meaty guy). Why do it unless you must? Have fun at this and limit your pack weight. I only carry max 5 days. 3-4 is better.

Blissful
09-08-2009, 10:02

Just to let you know, my hubby has the 40 lafuma and he freezes in it unless it is really warm evening (rating good for maybe 55 degrees). And he's huge. No way would I take this in Oct.

Switch to alcohol stove (you can make one) or MSR pocket rocket (if you like simmering, which I do).

Aqua mira is all you need for water.

Only clothing you need is what you need for camp at night so you aren't wearing sweaty stuff and get chilled. Wear same hiking clothes. 2 pairs of good socks is good for 3 days.

Lyle
09-08-2009, 10:27
Very strong recommendation for ULA. Don't think I've ever heard a complaint about them. Been using a ULA P2 for 5 or 6 years now.

lazy river road
09-08-2009, 11:04
Yeah I went with the Lafuma 40 bc of price....their was only so much $ i could shell out at one time...I just had my Lafuma in Yellowstone this summer...got down to 20 and I was freezing...in the mid 30's with warm clothing I was ok...So im hopeing in October In the MD area it dosent seem to drop below 35 on a warmer night so im gonna have to keep up with weather conditions...Blissful some good advice thx you...I have wild and crazy dreams right now but as I learn more I realize I can accomplish the same dreams through easier means...for example resupplying once or twice during a two week trip and still being able to find the solitude of the woods...I was just looking at the Gregory ZZ65 and like it better then the 55 bc of the front loading pocket...also how usefull is a sleeping bag compartment...

"Focus on the Journey not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an zctivity but in doing it"

David@whiteblaze
09-08-2009, 11:22
you may want to turn spellcheck on.. its Z(not ZZ)55 and an "activity"

lazy river road
09-08-2009, 11:24
so after reading various posts ive come up with these 3 packs

Osprey Atmos 65
Gregory z65
ULA Circut

all seem relatively same size. Osprey and Gregory apx same price ULA much cheaper but dosent have the extra zipers and pockets...The Osprey i like because it is lighter the Gregory and has more zipper access to pack....what are some of WB' suggestions

lazy river road
09-08-2009, 11:25
their is spall chek on BW :) im a piss poor speller sorry WB

David@whiteblaze
09-08-2009, 11:26
Yeah I went with the Lafuma 40 bc of price....their was only so much $ i could shell out at one time...I just had my Lafuma in Yellowstone this summer...got down to 20 and I was freezing...in the mid 30's with warm clothing I was ok...So im hopeing in October In the MD area it dosent seem to drop below 35 on a warmer night so im gonna have to keep up with weather conditions...Blissful some good advice thx you...I have wild and crazy dreams right now but as I learn more I realize I can accomplish the same dreams through easier means...for example resupplying once or twice during a two week trip and still being able to find the solitude of the woods...I was just looking at the Gregory ZZ65 and like it better then the 55 bc of the front loading pocket...also how usefull is a sleeping bag compartment...

"Focus on the Journey not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an zctivity but in doing it"
pocket and compartment... great. $100 extra... not so great. Before you buy, please, for my sanity, check out http://www.rei.com/outlet/category/22000016 it's all the reioutlet packs marked WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY
D
O
W
N

Yukon
09-08-2009, 11:41
I like the Z55, can't stand the Atmos 65. I'm telling ya, go the store and load up a Baltoro, it makes 50 pounds feel like 30...the suspension system is AWESOME!

Blissful
09-08-2009, 11:50
you may want to turn spellcheck on.. its Z(not ZZ)55 and an "activity"

A teen concerned about spelling - that's an eye for the fine details of life.

:D

lazy river road
09-08-2009, 11:56
Yukon any more specifics why you dont like the Atmos 65 is is something about Osprey you dislike or favor gregory for any particular reason. The Baltoro seems like a good back...whats it like with only 30 pds in it...does it pack down small for shorter weekend trips

lazy river road
09-08-2009, 12:01
David ive seen that site before and am happy you refrenced it bc they have the z55 on sale for $130...i really want that pack but am debating if i should get a biger one or not...like the Baltoro or z65...besides size...what can any one give me insight on the difference between the gregory z55 and z65....besides shelter...waterfiltration i feel that the pack is one of the more important purchases bc ill be carrying it..

lazy river road
09-08-2009, 12:13
another question do people prefer osprey to gregory..or is that like comparing apples to oranges...also i like what ive read about the ULA packs but they dont seem to have enough pockets for me...

sheepdog
09-08-2009, 12:14
Ask Mags(the author of HMHDI) , he knows everything.

lazy river road
09-08-2009, 12:20
sheepdog how do i get intouch with mags and what is HMHDI stand for is it a book...if so ill buy it

Hooch
09-08-2009, 12:25
If you already have all your gear, then the best thing you can do in getting a new pack is to take all your gear to a reputable outfitter and put it in packs you're interested in. It won't do any good to buy a pack that won't hold all your gear or is uncomfortable with your gear in it.

Hooch
09-08-2009, 12:28
sheepdog how do i get intouch with mags.......You can PM him here on WB.

.......what is HMHDI.......
Hike
My
Hike
Damn
It

take-a-knee
09-08-2009, 12:29
another question do people prefer osprey to gregory..or is that like comparing apples to oranges...also i like what ive read about the ULA packs but they dont seem to have enough pockets for me...

Dude, you need a ULA Catalyst, it has all the pockets you need. It is the single best hiking pack available. If you are determined to carry 50-60 pounds, a Gregory Makalu Pro would be the way to go,

http://www.gregorypacks.com/products/mens/technical/24/makalu-pro-70

Yukon
09-08-2009, 12:33
If you already have all your gear, then the best thing you can do in getting a new pack is to take all your gear to a reputable outfitter and put it in packs you're interested in. It won't do any good to buy a pack that won't hold all your gear or is uncomfortable with your gear in it.

+1 on this recommendation...

Lyle
09-08-2009, 13:44
so after reading various posts ive come up with these 3 packs

Osprey Atmos 65
Gregory z65
ULA Circut

all seem relatively same size. Osprey and Gregory apx same price ULA much cheaper but dosent have the extra zipers and pockets...The Osprey i like because it is lighter the Gregory and has more zipper access to pack....what are some of WB' suggestions

Zippers fail. I know this from experience. They also add weight.

If you decide on the ULA, make sure to get the hipbelt pockets - very much worth the extra cost/weight. (maybe they come standard now, not sure)

lazy river road
09-08-2009, 14:13
Im not determined to carry 50-60 pds...im just a newb trying to figure out what pack i need and how much a pack should hold...id be happy with carrying less then half that weight...im not a minimalist by any means and tend to pack to much which i feel i will quickly learn how not to after my first few trips. The Catalyst looks like a great pack and it seems like people are big ULA fans here...but the gregory z55 is on sale for a great price right now so i may have to go with that one

lazy river road
09-08-2009, 14:17
PS Lyle your saying its better to get a straight stuff sack type bag then having a bag with zippers that give you access to the middle of the bag...that leaves no room for tearing and probally makes the material more duriable...dosent let zipper rip never thought of that...is it a pain in the a$$ to always having to access your pack from the top or once your at camp you usually unload most of your gear any ways...tent...sleeping bag, pad etc

Jonnycat
09-08-2009, 14:18
Whatever you buy, if you change your mind you can sell it on Ebay for a good fraction of what you paid for it. In my experience, people will pay at least 50% to 75% for lightly used gear in good condition, provided you take a bunch of pictures showing them exactly what they are getting.

In other words, just get whatever you want. If you don't like it, get another pack. If you decide to keep the second pack, you will be able to get more than most of your money back on the first one.

Plan on going through a few of *everything* until you figure out what works best for you, a process that can only be determined through actual usage on the trail.

Hooch
09-08-2009, 17:54
.......but the gregory z55 is on sale for a great price right now so i may have to go with that one
Just because it's on sale, doesn't mean it's the right pack for you, especially at 50-60 lbs of gear. Chances are that the pack isn't going to hold all your gear, much less hold it comfortably. Get the opinions and ideas of a professional outfitter who knows how to get you in the right pack for you. I'd be a lot more willing to listen to an outfitter than the advice of a 15 year old newbie who thinks it'd be cool for you to carry the same pack he does. Nothing personal, just sayin'.

slow
09-08-2009, 20:39
Just buy a Dana on ebay and be done.:)

Feral Bill
09-08-2009, 20:49
Just buy a Dana on ebay and be done.:)

Actually, that's not bad advice. the older Terraplanes are marvelous for heavier loads.

Cool AT Breeze
09-08-2009, 20:59
Danna is now Mystery Ranch. They still make load haulers.

slow
09-08-2009, 21:21

Old dana will haul the load of any new pack or old....at half the price on ebay.

Del Q
09-08-2009, 22:02
Agree with general comments, have been as high as 52 pound pack in early March, 10-25 degrees for a week, switched to a ULA pack and sub 35 pounds, resupplying is fun, easy and I am DONE with really heavy loads, too slow, too much stress on this "aging" body & bones.

Part of the fun to me is seeing how LITTLE I can bring and what I really need, skimp on the food & the clothes, Aqua Mira saved 14 ounces vs water filter, etc etc etc

Lighter is better, heading out in 2 weeks for 2 week hike, will start with about 30 lbs all in (food and water), happier walking EVERY step and MUCH easier Ups & Downs!

MikenSalem
09-08-2009, 22:36
It looks like the big diff tween the Z55 & 65 is basic size and the 65 zips the bucket pocket shut. The 55 has a side zipper so you can access below the top without unloading. I'm considering adding a carry bag under the pack like carrying a tent ( I hammock) for some winter space. :banana Or get a a Baltoro or a Palisade. :banana And like someone else said they carry like a dream BUT only if the size is right:-?. BTW there's one on eBay selling in a few min size med sitting at just over $100 right now...:eek:

Blissful
09-08-2009, 22:43
All this talk of 50-60 lb weight makes my legs ache. ugh...

:)

You'd be better off taking time in a town to resupply or do other thigns to pare down the weight or have to get off early because of injury...
One trip up a mountainside and you will wish you had 31 lbs on your back.

And agree- cheap doesn't mean better. The pack has to FIT you. Or again, a
miserable time to be had with sore and aching hips, shoulders, back, chafing, etc

I only say these things because I have been there.

Why be miserable when there are other ways?

Rainman
09-09-2009, 09:01
Don't make a final decision without considering the Granite Gear line. The Vapor Trail is not quite enough space for me. I have a Nimbus Meridian (3800 ci) which is my favorite pack right now.

I also have a Golite Perspective (roughly 4000 ci and no longer made); a Gregory Keeler for longer trips, more than 5-6 days, with no resupply (4800 ci and also discontinued); and a Mountainsmith Auspex (about 3700 ci).

I keep all of these for specific reasons/types of hikes, but the Nimbus Meridian is the best all around pack for me.

lazy river road
09-09-2009, 09:13
hum...the heavy load thing dosent sound appealing....i have a framless bag which is 2,500 cu/in big...im going on my first over night this weekend...one nighter just to get my feet wet...i wont be carrying much bc im only going for one night..tent...speeping bag...sleeping pad..stove..fuel...one cooked meal...small pot...water tablets...eating wear...an xtra long sleeve plus fleece for warmth...and some basic survival stuff...i think after this trip ill have a better sense of what type of pack to buy...ALSO what im hearing is that a comfortable weight (not for a UL but a normal load) is between 30-40 pds food water included...should that be my goal...also where is a ULA outfitter store...REI and HTO dont seel ULA packs..they only have gregory and osprey

Hooch
09-09-2009, 09:23
.......also where is a ULA outfitter store...REI and HTO dont seel ULA packs..they only have gregory and osprey
ULA packs (http://www.ula-equipment.com/) are available online at their website from December to August of the year. Right now, they're closed for hiking season, but will re-open for business 1 December. You can get ULA packs from existing stock only at Mountain Crossings (http://www.mountaincrossings.com/), Bluff Mountain Outfitters (http://www.bluffmountain.com/) and Mount Rogers Outfitters (http://mtrogersoutfitters.com/).

kanga
09-09-2009, 09:29
that unravel and fall apart... once he sold out to japan, the packs became crap. if he makes it here, it will last forever, but he keeps building companies and selling them and those products are crapola.

lazy river road
09-09-2009, 09:43
I love that ULA took off and are probally all on a trail right now...I like that ULA is american made...so for that reason among other reasons...I think ill go with a ULA now should I get the circut or the catalyst...if you get a biger pack but then decide to do a shorter hike....HOW DOES WEIGHT CARRY in a bag that is bigger then the load packed...hope that question makes sense...does it throw off the comfortableness...also how Am i supposed to test the pack out first with all my gear if I have to order it on the internet and cant try it out first

Hooch
09-09-2009, 10:01
I love that ULA took off and are probally all on a trail right now...I like that ULA is american made...so for that reason among other reasons...I think ill go with a ULA now should I get the circut or the catalyst...if you get a biger pack but then decide to do a shorter hike....HOW DOES WEIGHT CARRY in a bag that is bigger then the load packed...hope that question makes sense...does it throw off the comfortableness...also how Am i supposed to test the pack out first with all my gear if I have to order it on the internet and cant try it out first

First, go to a good, reputable outfitter and get your torso properly measured so that you know what size pack to order. This has everything to do with how well your pack fits you and how well it carries your gear. Then try to find someone in your area that has a ULA pack. Try it on, see how well it fits and how well you like it. I fall else fails, take a road trip to MRO in Damascus and get them to fit you while you're there. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to sell you a pack. As to whether you get a Catalyst or a Circuit, it all depends on how much gear you're carrying and how much it weighs.

As you can see in the following YouTube videos, Brian talks about the recommended maximum carry weight and base weight respecively for the Catalyst (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6vNX6Iv3GQ) and the Circuit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQwFTG0A3n8&feature=related). But remember, a pack that doesn't hold all your gear is no good to you at all, as is one that doesn't hold your gear comfortably. Personally, I own a Catalyst, but will be purchasing a Circuit as a Christmas gift to myself in December.

lazy river road
09-09-2009, 10:17
Hooch if you dont mind me asking...what is the purpose of you buying two ULA packs that to me (a newb) seem the same except circut is lighter and smaller...are you trying to minamize what you carry/weight on the trail...im heading down to harpers ferry this weekend and will check out the harpers fery outfiters....for now bc i dont plan on doing any extended trips im gonna try out my frameless pack for the night...ill make a decision on a pack by this spring so i can hopefully start walking the trail

Hooch
09-09-2009, 10:51
Hooch if you dont mind me asking...what is the purpose of you buying two ULA packs that to me (a newb) seem the same except circut is lighter and smaller....... Exactly! The Circuit is lighter and smaller. I'll be using it for late spring/summer/early autumn trips. My Catalyst is ok for that little bit of gear, but I really don't need a pack that big to hold it all. For me, the Catalyst is better suited for my cool/cold weather gear and the extra insulation that it takes and the extra volume that the extra gear/insulation occupies.

Cool AT Breeze
09-09-2009, 11:37
that unravel and fall apart... once he sold out to japan, the packs became crap. if he makes it here, it will last forever, but he keeps building companies and selling them and those products are crapola.
I've got about 2500 miles on my MX Trance. Dirty but still like brand new. I use it to haul beer now. It will let me carry fresh food and a 12 pack about 50 lbs. in to hikers around here.

kanga
09-09-2009, 11:47
I've got about 2500 miles on my MX Trance. Dirty but still like brand new. I use it to haul beer now. It will let me carry fresh food and a 12 pack about 50 lbs. in to hikers around here.
was it made here?..

Cool AT Breeze
09-09-2009, 11:49
Yes Montana.

lazy river road
09-09-2009, 12:04
well im a school teacher so most of my hikes will be early spring through late Autum...I have no interest in Winter/Cold weather camping...if it gets below 30 at night then its to cold for me...just not my cup of tea...so I guess I should def take that into consideration when buying a pack...thanks hooch...I think my eyes are bigger then what my back can carry....so many packs...so many options...I hope Harpers Ferry Outfiters can guide me in the right direction

skinewmexico
09-09-2009, 12:10
Hooch if you dont mind me asking...what is the purpose of you buying two ULA packs that to me (a newb) seem the same except circut is lighter and smaller...are you trying to minamize what you carry/weight on the trail...

Only two ULA packs Hooch? That's just sad. I use my Circuit for up to a week, and I just found a great deal on a 2009 Conduit that I'll probably use for weekends. I also got a deal on a closeout 2008 Catalyst, I don't know what I'll use it for. Tried to use it for 4 days in northern NM, and still didn't get it filled up into the extension collar. Maybe long winter trips, it's huge. They all carry very, very well though.

Cannibal
09-09-2009, 12:12
I've got 3 ULA packs and can't say enough good about them. The Catalyst was my first and the one I used on the AT. I've been trying to cut pack volume and weight, which is why I've purchased progressively smaller packs from ULA. The Catalyst is a wondrous creation. It will allow you to overload the pack a bit without killing yourself in the process. It also carries just as well nearly empty. If you decide on shorter trips, it won't be a problem and the Catalyst will still be quite comfortable. I've used mine on dayhikes and slackpacks just because it was what I had available at the time; no problems.

It is a great pack and as long as you get the right fit, you'll be very happy with it IMO.

Hooch
09-09-2009, 12:26
.......I hope Harpers Ferry Outfiters can guide me in the right directionThey should be able to with no problem, one of the best outfitters along the trail.

sheepdog
09-09-2009, 13:13
First, go to a good, reputable outfitter and get your torso properly measured so that you know what size pack to order. This has everything to do with how well your pack fits you and how well it carries your gear. Then try to find someone in your area that has a ULA pack. Try it on, see how well it fits and how well you like it. I fall else fails, take a road trip to MRO in Damascus and get them to fit you while you're there. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to sell you a pack. As to whether you get a Catalyst or a Circuit, it all depends on how much gear you're carrying and how much it weighs.

As you can see in the following YouTube videos, Brian talks about the recommended maximum carry weight and base weight respecively for the Catalyst (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6vNX6Iv3GQ) and the Circuit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQwFTG0A3n8&feature=related). But remember, a pack that doesn't hold all your gear is no good to you at all, as is one that doesn't hold your gear comfortably. Personally, I own a Catalyst, but will be purchasing a Circuit as a Christmas gift to myself in December.
Best advice yet. Get a pack that fits well.

lazy river road
10-30-2009, 11:39
Thanks you WB....:bananathank you so much for the guidance and advice that everyone has given me....I am happy to say that I bought my pack yesterday...I went with the Gregory Baltoro 70....These are the reason...
1. The shoulders were wider then other packs I tried on and I am broad in the shoulders
2. Carrys loads like the pack is empty....
3. More support due to aluminum stays....
4. Really liked the hip belt pockets
5. I liked the xtra support that the plastic on the hip belt provided

I walked around REI for an HR with the pack comparing it to the Osprey Aether 70....I found that the Osprey pack did not provide the same support that the Gregory did with the same weight in the pack. The reason for this is bc the gregory pack has a heavier frame/suspension system providing more support. Even though the Gregory is 2pds heavier then the Osprey Aether I could def tell the difference in how the pack carried. This is my first long trip so Im trading off a heavier pack for a more comfortable carry. I hope as I get more knowledgable and aquire lighter weight gear that Ill be able to switch to a lighter pack as well. Other benefits that I enjoyed about the Gregory is that compared to the Osprey it just seemed like a more durable pack. I am very rough on my gear and wanted a pack that was a bit more heavy duty then some of the UL packs. And the number one reason that I picked the pack is because it fit me comfortably. Which is the most important thing. I am very happy and xited about my purchase....Now on to purchasing my next piece of gear the WBBB double 1.7 with Suprefly and Yeti just need to save up the $600 its gonna cost me....