PDA

View Full Version : Knee Pain Patterns Amoung Thru-Hikers?

Spokes
09-08-2009, 06:24
I did a very informal survey of thru-hikers this year and noticed a very interesting pattern regarding knee pain.

Most NOBO's reported left knee pain while most SOBO's reported right knee pain.

I have no clue why this occurred. Could it be caused by the slope of the trail? One leg longer than the other? Just coincidence?

Think I could get a grant for further study?

emerald
09-08-2009, 10:21
Think I could get a grant for further study?

No and my message isn't too short.

garlic08
09-08-2009, 10:34
It's an effect of the Coriolis acceleration, a well-known but little-understood phenomenon. It certainly sounds like research grant material, though actually receiving grant money may be as likely as me getting paid for all the hiking mileage invoices I've submitted.

Jonnycat
09-08-2009, 15:25
You could get a grant for watching grass grow if you have connections and know the syntax of writing grant proposals.

As to the cause, you stated it yourself: "an informal survey".

Spokes
09-08-2009, 18:04
You could get a grant for watching grass grow if you have connections and know the syntax of writing grant proposals.

As to the cause, you stated it yourself: "an informal survey".

I didn't pack any number 2 pencils thus the informal survey.

Garlic08 may be onto something. Coriolis acceleration- a fascinating wikipedia read!

ridgerunninrat81
09-08-2009, 23:26
For me it did not matter if I was hiking north or south, the pain pattern was the same. Up hill it was the lungs and down hill it was both knees.

Blissful
09-09-2009, 12:46
Interesting. I had a great deal more left knee pain afer my hike, but I thought it was because of an old injury flair-up as a teen.

Blue Jay
09-09-2009, 19:12
I did a very informal survey of thru-hikers this year and noticed a very interesting pattern regarding knee pain.

Most NOBO's reported left knee pain while most SOBO's reported right knee pain.

Shhhhh, it's a secret. All of the mountains on the AT are to the west of the trail. As a NOBO your knee is bent the entire way.

Blue Jay
09-09-2009, 19:13
Shhhhh, it's a secret. All of the mountains on the AT are to the west of the trail. As a NOBO your knee is bent the entire way.

Except Virginia which is flat.:cool: