PDA

View Full Version : How long till Harpers Ferry?

el.com
09-08-2009, 08:41
Hey folks :)

I want to do my thru hike next year, starting mid march on Springer Mt.
A friend of mine is in Maryland right now as au pair girl. She will stay until mid July next year.

Let's assume I'll start on March 15. Is it enough time to meet her in Harpers Ferry? Will I have to hurry up with my hike to get there in time or can I slow down / hike in normal speed?

What do you think?

Lone Wolf
09-08-2009, 08:44

A friend of mine is in Maryland right now as au pair girl. She will stay until mid July next year.

Let's assume I'll start on March 15. Is it enough time to meet her in Harpers Ferry? Will I have to hurry up with my hike to get there in time or can I slow down / hike in normal speed?

What do you think?

you'll have to slow down more than likely

modiyooch
09-08-2009, 08:49

What do you think?
Can she not just join you where you are at the time? That way you can just enjoy your hike and not worry about deadlines.

el.com
09-08-2009, 09:19
I don't want to meet her exactly in july. It's just: she's a au pair girl and mid july she will fly back home to germany. But I want to meet her in Herpers Ferry before she leaves the USA. There is no specific date or something...

Pedaling Fool
09-08-2009, 09:31
I don't want to meet her exactly in july. It's just: she's a au pair girl and mid july she will fly back home to germany. But I want to meet her in Herpers Ferry before she leaves the USA. There is no specific date or something...
You'll be there in plenty of time, if not you're probably on a schedule to finish the trail really late, but most are through that area before July.

What's an "au pair girl"?

el.com
09-08-2009, 09:32
You'll be there in plenty of time, if not you're probably on a schedule to finish the trail really late, but most are through that area before July.

What's an "au pair girl"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Au_pair

David@whiteblaze
09-08-2009, 09:32
The 15th must be a good date to start... maybe itll get some college kids time to get back for fall classes... anyways, just try to figure 1 hour per mile and 1/2 hoour per 1000 ft ascended, if you leave 1 hour per mile then you can take say 15min. or so off (per hour) w/o having to worry about being late. but, back to the point at hand... I am planning to start march 15, 2013 or so.

Hooch
09-08-2009, 09:34
What's an "au pair girl"?An au pair is what snobs call a nanny. :D

David@whiteblaze
09-08-2009, 09:37
sorry, 2014

Jester2000
09-08-2009, 11:50
You can just go normal speed, assuming your "normal speed" isn't "really frickin' slow."

Blissful
09-08-2009, 11:52
No problem. You should be at HF by early June if not sooner. You're young.

Lemni Skate
09-08-2009, 11:56
You'll be there in plenty of time. Enjoy your hike.

If you're not there by July you weren't going to make it anyway.

max patch
09-08-2009, 12:51
anyways, just try to figure 1 hour per mile and 1/2 hoour per 1000 ft ascended,

David, shouldn't you be in school?

Everyone hikes at a different pace, but I thot I'd mention that a common "rule of thumb" calls for 1/2 hour per mile (or 2 miles per hour).

sheepdog
09-08-2009, 13:24

Everyone hikes at a different pace, but I thot I'd mention that a common "rule of thumb" calls for 1/2 hour per mile (or 2 miles per hour).
He probably is in school. They usually have computers there.:)

Jack Tarlin
09-08-2009, 13:28
Most folks take around 80-90 days to get to Harpers Ferry from Springer. If you leave Georgia around 15 March, I think you'll get there are around the second week of June, so you'll still have plenty of time to see your friend when you arrive.

el.com
09-08-2009, 13:41
Alright, thanks folks.
That's just what I wanted to hear from you :)

Oh man I can't tell you how eagerly I'm awaiting my hike :)

David@whiteblaze
09-08-2009, 23:12

He probably is in school. They usually have computers there.:)
lol, technically yes to both, except im homeschooled:banana and i dont like going a long time in the heat, i think the low temp last winter was 60* or something, and that was at night, brrr! That said, i dont know what hiking is like w/o having a garden hose hookup so i can intake water and sweat it all out:sun.
:eek:if theres a kink in the hose, i have about 2 min. to find it or i have to call for a ride home:D.