PDA

View Full Version : Blacksburg Winter Hike-Advice Requested

Digger'02
09-08-2009, 10:49
Hey yall, my friends and I go on a winter hike every year and this year we will be basing the trip out of Blacksburg VA which is well out of my region so I don't know the trail there as well. we are looking for 20-30 miles that are as awesome as we can get.

Last year we had a great time in Mt. Rodgers with nights as low as -10. Fun!

I have been thinking about VA 614-James river which includes Appal Orchard Mountain. What do you think?

bigcranky
09-08-2009, 11:37
US 311 to Daleville would include MacAfee Knob, which is a nice section. Great views along Tinker Cliffs, too.

Cookerhiker
09-08-2009, 12:37
In March '05 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=89307), I winter-backpacked for several days not far from Blacksburg - at least, I finished up by hiking Bland to Pearisburg. I enjoyed it much. The elevation isn't as high as Mt. Rogers so I don't think temps went too far below 20 but it was invigorating! I skipped the planned stretch over Chestnut Knob because of deep snow.

One highlight was seeing a skunk as I neared Wapiti Shelter.

tenbeer
09-08-2009, 15:07
US 311 to Daleville would include MacAfee Knob, which is a nice section. Great views along Tinker Cliffs, too.
I think this is the premier hike in this area, although I would ad Dragons Tooth to the hike. This would give you a total hike of about 30 miles. Take Newport road off Main St, on the north end of Blacksburg. You folllow this road twenty miles until you get to route 311. Take a left and travel 1 mile to the Dragons Tooth parking lot. You will Blue blaze approx. 1 mile to the AT. Hide your packs in the woods and backtrack south on the AT 1 mile and you will have a challanging rock climb to Dragons Tooth.Climb the Tooth and enjoy the wonderful views. Head north on the AT until you cross 311, this is the Macafee Knob parking area. From here you have 3 options for camping. You have a boy scout shelter at 1 mile, and another shelter in 1 more mile, or you can continue to the knob and camp at the pig farm campsite. If you stop at the earlier shelters you can make this a 3 day trip. If you camp at the knob you can do this hike in two days. From the knob you will be ridge walking until you descend into Daleville. Daleville is only 40 minutes from B.lacksburg via I81. Its a straight shot with no detours.The parking in Daleville is a commuter lot right next to I81 and a service station, very safe. The parking lot at Dragons tooth is a forest service lot and very safe also. The ridge walk from the Knob crosses Tinker Cliffs which is also very scenic. Then you will circle Carvins Cove which in the winter will be gorgous with no leaf cover. Carvins Cove is a huge day use area for mtn bikers. Lots of trails. While in Bburg check out the Cellar and Rivermill for great food, entertainment, and local brews. Have fun!

Digger'02
09-08-2009, 16:02
thanks, exactly what I was looking for. a nice 30 miler. in snow, we try to do no more than 10 miles per day, so this is perf.

additional opinions welcome.

Blissful
09-08-2009, 22:19
I talked to a hiker that did Tinker and McAfee Knob area in snow. Easy to get lost, actually. Bring maps and compass.

Hikerhead
09-08-2009, 22:40
I talked to a hiker that did Tinker and McAfee Knob area in snow. Easy to get lost, actually. Bring maps and compass.

Really? I don't see how but then again, I hike it all the time.

Blissful
09-08-2009, 22:45
They got lost coming off Tinker Cliff heading downhill I think. It was between Tinker and McAfee. It was snowing quite a bit and couldn't find the trail.

Also they encountered lots of ice.