PDA

View Full Version : PCT hikers needed for survey!

pct2009
09-08-2009, 23:39
Research is being conducted at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo on the motivations of hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail and they need your help! It doesn't matter if you've hiked one mile on the PCT or 2,650 miles of it, everyone is encouraged to participate in the survey. The questionnaire has 44 items and should take approximately 10 minutes. Through these questions it is possible to determine the motivations of trail users as well as potential benefits attained (e.g., healthy lifestyle). With this information we hope to continue to educate the populace on the importance of designated trails like the PCT. We also hope to reinforce maintenance of the trail as well as convey the health benefits (mental and physical) of hiking. The survey can be accessed by the following link:
http://oira.cortland.edu/selectsurveyasp2/TakeSurvey.asp?SurveyID=42J475K1662KG
The survey hinges on your participation. Please share this information with everyone you know. If you have any questions please contact Steph Fellows, [email protected]. Thank you very much and happy hiking!

sbhikes
09-09-2009, 11:38
It was sort of hard to answer the questions about how many times do I hike the trail in winter, spring etc. For me the PCT was sort of a once in a lifetime thing so I can't really answer those questions as though I return and hike every weekend or whatever. And if you a thru-hike or something close to it, you kind of follow spring a good portion of the way since (northbound) you not only rise in latitude you also rise in altitude, sometimes passing through spring and summer in the same day.

Jonnycat
09-09-2009, 16:04
Through these questions it is possible to determine the motivations of trail users as well as potential benefits attained (e.g., healthy lifestyle). With this information we hope to continue to educate the populace on the importance of designated trails like the PCT. We also hope to reinforce maintenance of the trail as well as convey the health benefits (mental and physical) of hiking.

The PCT doesn't need anybody drumming up advertising and support for it; it is already a Federally recognized National Scenic Trail (http://www.fs.fed.us/pct/), and there is no danger of it "going away" at any time in the forseeable future.

Call me an anti-social cynic, but it sounds like your survey is more intended to help guide money into some organization's pockets, rather than help a nice old quiet trail which already has a sufficient number of hikers and is doing just fine as it is.

If your motivation is indeed encouraging a workout, therapy, or a social experience, there are already enough ways to get this in the city through a myriad variety of municipal recreation programs, some of which do occur in a backcountry setting.

Trails, especially more remote trails like the PCT, are one of the last refuges of backpackers to get out and experience the wild world in the rugged setting which uniquely calls to them.

As for maintenance, I would rather see less maintenance on the trail; the easier you make it, the more people will hike it, and it's already pretty darned easy for someone who properly prepares him or herself for the journey.

sarbar
09-09-2009, 22:36
This should explain most of it:
"the Department of Natural Resources Management" as in DNR. Up here most of the PCT runs through NF land in Washington outside of a few pockets of Park land and private timber lands.

sarbar
09-09-2009, 22:41
Still though, not an overall bad survey.

sbhikes
09-10-2009, 12:01
I thought the survey misunderstood the PCT. I got the feeling they are thinking of hiking the PCT like it means the same thing as going for a run on a local jogging park around the lake. People don't hike the PCT to stay in shape. I laughed at the question about hiking the PCT to prevent a heart attack. If anything, hiking the PCT might give you a heart attack! Certainly the PCT will leave you limping and hobbling for about 6 months or more afterward. And any weight you lose will come right back. They really should offer appetite suppressants for after the hike.

garlic08
09-10-2009, 14:28
Definitely not a thru hiker survey, and why did I feel like I answered nearly every question at least twice?

I also agree with Johnny Cat, the PCT does not need more people on it. I think more people definitely need to get out and walk more, but the PCT is not in danger of simply disappearing like some other trails.

I joined up with the PCT just south of Canada after hiking the PNT from the CDT in Glacier this summer. Frankly, after a few miles on the PCT in the Pasayten, I was glad to leave it. I needed to take a dump and decided to wait until I left the PCT to do so--it was so pounded and crowded. As soon as I made that decision, I spotted a wad of used tp near a bush. Gross. Sorry if that's TMI.

The Weasel
09-10-2009, 16:32
Badly written even for what it tries to do.

TW

Graywolf
09-10-2009, 22:56
IMO, I think maybe the person or group may be doing some aspect of a social study program. Last year I met a woman who is studing social studies at the University Of Texas. She was telling me she is doing a report on outdoor activities and how it effects people. She went on to tell me she wanted to do a survey on AT hikers and how there life is on and off the trail.

Sounds like to me that is what these people are tring to do. There questions was pretty off beat with what they said they wanted to accomplish.

Mags
09-11-2009, 12:50
Gotta watch out for those Boulder based hikers. They are loco....

Jester2000
09-11-2009, 13:37
This should explain most of it:
"the Department of Natural Resources Management" as in DNR. Up here most of the PCT runs through NF land in Washington outside of a few pockets of Park land and private timber lands.

I'm not sure I understand what that explains. It's a survey from the California Polytechnic State University's Department of Natural Resources Management.

What does that explain exactly?

sarbar
09-11-2009, 16:39
On the feeling you answered questions twice, you did. Pretty normal to see if a survey taker will answer differently when worded a different way. I used to take a lot of ones on why I shopped (it paid well) and it was ALL about emotions - which this survey preys on as well.

~I do hike the PCT for exercise - but then, I also live not far from multiple jump on points. I can leave after breakfast, have a great hike and be home for dinner.
Of course, come winter back to the gym. If I can hike instead of being on a treadmill, all the better!

Shutterbug
09-11-2009, 17:35
Research is being conducted at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo on the motivations of hikers on the Pacific Crest Trail and they need your help! It doesn't matter if you've hiked one mile on the PCT or 2,650 miles of it, everyone is encouraged to participate in the survey. The questionnaire has 44 items and should take approximately 10 minutes. Through these questions it is possible to determine the motivations of trail users as well as potential benefits attained (e.g., healthy lifestyle). With this information we hope to continue to educate the populace on the importance of designated trails like the PCT. We also hope to reinforce maintenance of the trail as well as convey the health benefits (mental and physical) of hiking. The survey can be accessed by the following link:
http://oira.cortland.edu/selectsurveyasp2/TakeSurvey.asp?SurveyID=42J475K1662KG
The survey hinges on your participation. Please share this information with everyone you know. If you have any questions please contact Steph Fellows, [email protected]. Thank you very much and happy hiking!

I agree that it was a poorly designed survey because most of the questions dealt with "feelings." What does it matter how I "feel" about hiking? They should be more concerned about what I "think."

sarbar
09-14-2009, 22:23
I agree that it was a poorly designed survey because most of the questions dealt with "feelings." What does it matter how I "feel" about hiking? They should be more concerned about what I "think."

Not that shocking really. Any indepth survey that questions why you do what you do wants to know about "feelings" (no matter how new agey that sounds). Your feelings are what get you to go on vacation, buy a new car, impulse buy junk you don't need, or why we eat a box of cookies.
If we actually thought out those things we would do a lot less impulse things. And in a way, we hike often for the same reasons. For some it makes them happy, others it takes stress away or gives you self reliance - and all of that is a feeling.

Sadly, they are pretty right on the money with the survey....but....not that the survey makes sense always ;-)

As I said earlier....you should see the surveys that marketing companies give to figure out why women buy the stuff they do. I took those for years (They not only paid me, I got oodles of free stuff for a few minutes work - often stuff that was barely into test marketing stage.)

And just like how I buy things, for me hiking works the same way. Rotten or sad day? I go hiking and come home feeling good. It is feelings in the end - at least for me.

Jonnycat
09-14-2009, 23:42
... feelings....

Oh, oh oh.... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnFxAnbJD8A) :D :D :D