PDA

View Full Version : My Long Trail thru hike is over

sakkit
07-29-2004, 11:07
I sprained my ankle on day 4 of my thru hike. On day 5 I hiked from Little Rock Pond to Clarendon shelter before getting of the trail. I was on my way to Gov clement shelter. As the day went on I was starting to loose the use of my left foot. At Clarendon I took my boot of and my left foot was twice it's size. I made it to the town of Claredon and called my wife to come get me. I am so bummed about this. The doctor said I should stay of my foot as much as possible for the next 2 weeks. :(
Oh well. There is always next year.

sakkit

Flash Hand
07-29-2004, 11:23
I sprained my ankle on day 4 of my thru hike. On day 5 I hiked from Little Rock Pond to Clarendon shelter before getting of the trail. I was on my way to Gov clement shelter. As the day went on I was starting to loose the use of my left foot. At Clarendon I took my boot of and my left foot was twice it's size. I made it to the town of Claredon and called my wife to come get me. I am so bummed about this. The doctor said I should stay of my foot as much as possible for the next 2 weeks. :(
Oh well. There is always next year.

sakkit

yeah, there is always next year.. that what I am doing, 2nd attempt to thru hike A.T. Don't give up!

Flash Hand :jump

SavageLlama
07-29-2004, 14:03
That sucks. But the trail will be there the next time you're ready.

I'll be thru-hiking the LT come October.. can't wait. :cool:

Tramper Al
07-29-2004, 14:10
Sakkit,

Sorry about your sprain and change of plans.

When your ankle has healed, though, think about a nice section hike or two on the LT in the fall. You know it's really nice that time of year.

A-Train
07-29-2004, 23:56
I also had to abort my LT thru-hike for family reasons this june.

Its funny, sometimes I think its harder to hike the 270 mile LT than the AT at 2172 miles. That damn LT is a killer

oruoja
07-30-2004, 00:50
Have done the LT four times in over twenty years and am lucky I never sustained an injury serious enough forcing me to bail. But, have taken some brutal falls and no matter how remote the location when I pass through again even years later the same spot sticks out as if it were the day before. Am glad to hear from several sources that the LT is seemingly tougher mile for mile than the AT overall. I have only done the AT from NJ to NH and am hoping for a shot at a thru in 2006. Sounds like the LT has been the ideal proving ground for a future AT trek.

Mags
07-30-2004, 11:47
Its funny, sometimes I think its harder to hike the 270 mile LT than the AT at 2172 miles. That damn LT is a killer
Personally, I think the northern LT (between RT 4 and RT2) has some the hardest hiking I've done in terms of the actual trail. (As opposed to logisitics, weather, terrain, etc. ) Talk about many steep ups and downs! Still it is a great trail. The LT is a great "New England sampler". Steep grades, rural areas, above tree line in parts, beautiful scenery.

If the original poster can't hike it now, heal up and try to get out there in the Fall. Vermont in the Fall would be just awesome!

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do!

SwordsEdge
07-30-2004, 12:13
Question? What type of foot ware are you using?
<O:p</O:p

I like to use a lightweight boot that has 8 to 10 inches in the back to support the ankles. This helps prevent serious injuries when hiking. If I fall or something the extra height of the boot help stabiles the ankle and prevent injuries. Just something to think about. Also I'm sure others have told this to you before but when you injure your foot or ankle DO NOT remove your boots. Once removed your foot will not fit back into your boot. Also us powder to help keep down blisters and sores. One last thing I find that really help keep your feet dry and comfortable is getting some spray on deodorant and using it on your feet. Helps keep down the moisture.

<O:p</O:p

Sword out.<O:p</O:p

warren doyle
08-03-2004, 12:08
There is a higher percentage of 'rugged,difficult' miles on the LT than the AT.

However, the roughest, blazed long distance trail in the contiguous US is the 226-mile section of the AT from Glencliff, NH to Little Bigelow LT in Maine.

From one who has five end-to-ends of the entire LT and twelve traverses of the entire AT.