PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tent 2

jcramin
09-09-2009, 13:50
OK more winter Tent questions. I really like the Go-Lite Shangri-La. The Go-Lite site says the they ar 3-4 season tents. What makes them a 4 season tent ? Would you need to add the floor or the nest for them to be considered 4 season ?

Also, what other ultralight tents are considered 4-season ?

And I guess I need to know WHAT makes a tent a 4-season tent ? Is it being able to shed snow and ice ? or is it being able to keep the inside of the rent warm ? or is it a combo or something else ?

Thanks for the help,
J

Reid
09-09-2009, 14:01
I'd be curious to know as well. I just came across a shangri la 3

jcramin
09-09-2009, 14:04
I'd be curious to know as well. I just came across a shangri la 3

That is the one im thinking about buying, but I just needed these questions answered so I understand more about 4-season before I spend that money.

J

Lyle
09-09-2009, 14:05
I think that the main reason that they consider them 4 season is because of the pyramid design. It is very strong, steep sided, thus it sheds snow and wind quite effectively.

For southern winters, four season is not really necessary. If you are considering the possibility of measuring your snowfall in feet not inches, then it is much more important to have a shelter that can handle it.

jcramin
09-09-2009, 14:12
I think that the main reason that they consider them 4 season is because of the pyramid design. It is very strong, steep sided, thus it sheds snow and wind quite effectively.

For southern winters, four season is not really necessary. If you are considering the possibility of measuring your snowfall in feet not inches, then it is much more important to have a shelter that can handle it.

I am considering 4-season because my son and I want to do some winter backpacking in places such as Smokey Mountains or up in the Midwest during snow. They will be kind of spare of the moment trips, if snow is likely then we will go.

J

brooklynkayak
09-09-2009, 17:15
Yes, they shed wind well and snow doesn't build on the steep walls. They tend to not flap as much as other designs, so you get a better nights sleep.

Franco
09-09-2009, 18:18
Generally it is understood that 4 season tents are better suited for high wind and snow loads. To achieve this steeper walls and or more poles are employed. Depending on where you intend to camp, a pyramid/hexagonal type tent may do the job ( in the plains...) higher up where flat areas may be a problem and setting up speed could be a factor, a multi pole semi-geodesic/geodesic design is better.
So for snow think steep walls and or pole support but essentially no flat areas on top. For wind curves and small panels are better than large flat unsupported areas.
Note that 4 season/expedition tents tend to have several guylines midway up the structure to further help stability and prevent collapse.
As a side note, in really cold challenging situations, easy does it. The brain tends to slow down so coming up with clever tarp type set ups is not an option , neither trying to set up a tunnell tent in high winds by yourself or even in with two people. Freestanding (as a start...) is generally better.

To better visualise this have a look at how, for example, Sierra Design define their tents
http://www.sierra-designs.com/tents.tents.php (http://www.sierra-designs.com/tents.tents.php)
Franco

Pedaling Fool
09-09-2009, 18:29
I don't know why they call them 4-season tents. There's no mesh, basically a singlewall design and thicker than most 3-season tents. It would like sleeping in a sauna unless it's really cold outside. They are 1-season tents (winter only -- a really cold winter).

Franco
09-09-2009, 19:06
John
Good point...
A better definition could be 4th/5th season...
Not all mountaineering tents are single wall. Generally these kind of tents are not suited for mild warm weather.
BTW, Epic (BD)does breathe very well (IMHO) and it is comfortable in hot weather ( slept in my Lighthouse at 95f in the afternoon, with the mesh door zipped up) .
eVent (Exped/Rab and ID) does not so well in hot/humid weather but it is the best for managing condensation when fully enclosed ( like cooking inside in a storm. Not my experience but reported by various climbers)

Note that following the release of the TT Scarp with the mesh or fabric inner option, Hilleberg have copied * the idea and are offering a mesh option for the Akto as well as the Nallos, making them more of an all season tent.
Franco
* This is a joke for the Family Guy. Please ignore if easily offended or allergic to TT

Madmax
09-09-2009, 20:22
Almost never a tent-thread without certain folks sneaking in some TT-talk even though TT's have absolutely nothing to do with a proper tent :-) For example the Helsport Svalbard is what I consider a winter-tent, at least in cold winter.
file:///G:/Links%20All%20Newest/Ny%20mappe/Doc%20newer/ALL/Outdoor/Outdoor%20Pic/T%C3%A4lt.jpg

Madmax
09-09-2009, 20:24
[quote=Madmax;891754]Almost never a tent-thread without certain folks sneaking in some TT-talk even though TT's have absolutely nothing to do with a proper tent :-) For example the Helsport Svalbard is what I consider a winter-tent, at least in cold winter.

Well, suddenly I don't see how to post an image anymore ? Hmm...

Madmax
09-12-2009, 15:43
Ok.... Oau

Madmax
10-01-2010, 20:51
Norwegian style :cool:

wyominglostandfound
10-02-2010, 09:15
tipis are one of the only lightweight tent styles that you can convert as a woodstove capable tent. the stovejack install on them is easier since there is usually no floor and therefore slightly more sewing machine friendly. i have seen people hand stitch a stovejack but it looks shabby and the edge is not generally finished around the jack perimeter. i have 5 man tents with stovejacks in them that weigh less than 3 lbs. for the canopy. that is a 13 ft. diam. by 6 ft. center. absolutely huge as far as backpacking tents are concerned. the slope of the walls makes for better snow load removal. just smack the wall of the tent and the snow slides down to the ground. the wind is not normally a problem because of the conical shape. the plains indians used them for centuries out in the wide wind blown open.... the advantages are many and setup is so simple that it is almost humorous to watch compared to someone with a multipole rig with poles shooting out everywhere. setup is usually no more than a couple minutes. centerpoles can be improvised at the site or the canopy can be suspended from a clothesline. they are a very efficient design.