PDA

View Full Version : poi near mt rogers VA

themadgaffler
09-09-2009, 15:50
hello, all, just found this site :)
i am doing the mt rogers loop in october with some less experienced hikers. i am probably going to car camp :( the first day at grindstone before we do the loop. i was looking for a quick couple mile hike that we could do after we make hte 7 hr car trip up. there has to be something short that is worthwhile, but i am unfamiliar with the area. was hoping for something about 3 miles so i dont wear out anyone before the 13 mile loop. thanks in advance.

Egads
09-09-2009, 17:54
Not trying to be smart, but pick up a map from any of the outfitters in Damascus and ask Lone Wolf for a recommendation. This is his back yard.

themadgaffler
09-09-2009, 22:08
i have the appropriate map already, it does not serve to tell me what would be a good short quarter to half day hike to do from a parking area after i spend half the day driving over there. rather than pick something at random, if figured id throw it out here for suggestions. the mt rogers nra website is virtually useless in this regard as are all of the other resources that i have at hand (great hikes of va,etc). there may not be anything short and sweet there. as i said ive never hiked the highland/grayson area before, so i am unfamiliar with territory.

bobgessner57
09-09-2009, 22:31
From Grindstone campground it would be easy to drive up the road to VA 600 then up to the parking area where the AT crosses VA 600 at Elk Garden. You could hike up to Whitetop, about 2 1/2 miles one way or go on another 3/4 mile to Buzzard Rock. Or you could take the road up to Whitetop then walk out to Buzzard Rock. Whitetop/buzzard rock has nice views, not a difficult hike.

Are you leaving your car at Grindstone? That is a safe place. Do not leave it at the Fox Creek trailhead.

brian039
09-09-2009, 22:57
There's several good trails in Grayson Highlands State Park. I would suggest either the Rhododendron Trail (1 mile) or the Twin Pinnacles Trail (1.75 miles).

Hikerhead
09-09-2009, 23:15
Grindstone is nice. Camp on the loop by turning left just past the ranger station/sign in. That will put you the farthest away from the main highway.

But if it was me... I would camp at Grayson Highlands. :)

There's a nice water fall on a short hike reached by turning left before you go through the gate at Massie's Gap at Grayson Highlands. It might be called the Cabin Creek Trail, I can't remember, check your map. It's only a 2 or 3 mile loop.

Go catch yourself a pony!

themadgaffler
09-10-2009, 12:36
thanks for the great replies! :D I will be up that way columbus day weekend. Any ideas on how crowded the area will be??

JJJ
09-10-2009, 13:43
Unless you're just anxious to do the northside of Mt Rogers, I like the Grayson Highlands CG idea too.
You could do your first short hike from the parking near Massie Gap, then make a loop over to Mt Rogers to Scales and back down to Massie Gap for the multi-day.

themadgaffler
09-10-2009, 22:38
yeah im not tied to grindstone or anything, but i gotta kinda keep it mellow for the wife who has a bum knee. i figured the 13.3 loop from grindstone would be decent. we did three ridges in the spring and she was unhappy. that was about the same length but more elevation loss/gain and the trail was very rocky. ill definitely look in to that longer loop j3.

Hikerhead
09-10-2009, 23:38
yeah im not tied to grindstone or anything, but i gotta kinda keep it mellow for the wife who has a bum knee. i figured the 13.3 loop from grindstone would be decent. we did three ridges in the spring and she was unhappy. that was about the same length but more elevation loss/gain and the trail was very rocky. ill definitely look in to that longer loop j3.

If your wife has a bad knee, she'll love ya big time for NOT starting and ending the loop hike at Grindstone.

themadgaffler
09-11-2009, 08:46
why do u say that HH, because its longer? i think she will be fine keeping it at about 7 miles per day with packs on as long as the elevation loss/gain isnt too severe. steep downhills bother her the most along with super rocky terrain (more impact). any more than 7 miles and she will be unhappy. from the breif descriptions I read, it seems this hike will be pretty mellow, without a lot of rocky terrrain. id much rather sleep on the trail than near the car and other people if possible. im going to check out that longer loop onthe map tonight.

rgarling
09-11-2009, 10:23
you may know this, but the trail up to the top of mount rodgers is not scenic nor is the view from the top.

themadgaffler
09-11-2009, 15:01
yeah, i heard that theres no scenic view there, but from what i gather it is a pretty sweet evergreen fir forest, which is unique in VA.

Marta
09-11-2009, 17:41
yeah, i heard that theres no scenic view there, but from what i gather it is a pretty sweet evergreen fir forest, which is unique in VA.

I love getting into the fir tree zone. It's pretty magical. Views aren't everything.

Hikerhead
09-11-2009, 18:22
why do u say that HH, because its longer? i think she will be fine keeping it at about 7 miles per day with packs on as long as the elevation loss/gain isnt too severe. steep downhills bother her the most along with super rocky terrain (more impact). any more than 7 miles and she will be unhappy. from the breif descriptions I read, it seems this hike will be pretty mellow, without a lot of rocky terrrain. id much rather sleep on the trail than near the car and other people if possible. im going to check out that longer loop onthe map tonight.

It's about a 3 mile hike from Grindstone until you hit the AT with no views. It's not steep, you'll hit plenty of rocks when you get near the top, nothing really interesting. But starting out from Grayson Highlands, it's cool as soon as you step out of the car. Plus I thought you were doing this loop as a day hike and camping at the campground, shame on me. I would start at Grindstone only if I done it all the other trails and wanted to do something different. But I wouldn't do it on my first trip there. But it's all good. Have fun.

themadgaffler
09-11-2009, 19:10
yeah from the descriptions that i read theres some spots to camp near water about 5.5 outta grindstone. i figured wed set up shop there and then jaunt up to the top without all our stuff and then back to camp. the next day would be a half day trip out. the wifey has to go real slow, but thats ok. it sounds like theres a lot to look at there. gonna check that loner route tonight...dread the car camp.

themadgaffler
09-12-2009, 11:44
j3- i looked at that loop - from massie heading west to the mt rogers trail then the lewis fork trail toward the AT near old orchard shelter through scales and then back around to massie. looks like a winner, i think we will give it a go, thanks.

themadgaffler
01-06-2010, 13:35
thanks to all, we did the trip - a little over 20 miles and it was great. i was surprised at how relatively flat the trail was. first day was clear as a bell and saw the wild ponies 20 minutes onto the trail. never spent a night in a shelter before but, we stayed the first night in the shelter just below the mt rogers spur trail. good thing too because just after dark it sounded like someone was spraying the tin roof with a pressure washer - heavy rain and 50 plus mph winds. had some visits from the mice. woke up to pea soup fog - which formed rain drops on any trees. made for an interesting trip up the spur. planned to stay at the scales the second night but there were some VERY noise people there, so we continued up to the top of the ridge and put up the tent. hiked out the next morning. leaves were beautify and eerie in the fog. great trip! :D