PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat in SNP

jmhouse
09-09-2009, 16:45
I know they are fairly common around SNP, but I hadn't ever seen one in the 5 or 6 years I've been regularly hiking out there. Just wanted to share a photo I got this past Sunday.

I had stopped hiking for a short break at a tree that was down across the AT when I noticed something moving about 3 or 4 feet below the trail (there was a 3 or 4 foot drop on that side of the trail). I noticed something hanging out of its mouth as I watched it walk behind some large rocks out of view. Completely stunned by what I was seeing and the fact that it didn't seem to know I was there, I hadn't even thought to take any photos if it had come into view. Then before I could react it climbed up to the trail, turned towards me and we made eye contact for several seconds. That's when I realized that what was hanging from its mouth was a chipmunk. I didn't want to make any sudden movements so I slowly brought the camera up to my face to get a shot. By the time I looked through the viewfinder it had turned and started walking away. So I got as many photos as I could before it turned and went back into the woods. I walked to where it had went off the trail and saw no signs of it. It was like it had disappeared. Definitely made my day even though I didn't get that 'perfect' shot of it staring at me.

If you want to see a larger photo than the one attached click here (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3463/3893916003_4bef7cfd9d_o.jpg)

FritztheCat
09-09-2009, 19:07
What a fantastic photo! Even though you didn't get the face-to-face shot, your photo is superb. Thanks for sharing!

Blissful
09-09-2009, 19:39
I saw something like that near the Skyline Drive. No time for a pic though, I was driving.

johnnybgood
09-09-2009, 20:14
What a treat to see a bobcat so close and during the daylight hours.
Being nocturnal in nature , the bobcat is often heard but seldom scene.

Stryder
09-09-2009, 20:34
Such a great picture man! wow....I have still not seen any cool wildlife. So far the closest I have come is a bear that I saw dead near some tracks this weekend north of Atkins, Va. I got pictures too!:eek:

mudhead
09-10-2009, 05:59
Thanks for sharing that!

Pretty cool to make eye contact with an animal like that.

Did it seem used to human contact? Just sashay down the path?

jmhouse
09-10-2009, 10:59
thanks guys!

i'm not sure if it was used to humans or not. skyline drive wasn't too far uphill from where i saw it, and this section of trail is pretty close to some overlooks. maybe it's used to people walking by since hawksbill mountain is close and very popular. but as soon as it saw me i think it waited to see what i would do. since i didn't move toward it or make any sudden movements, it probably concluded that i wasn't a threat and just moved on. it seemed to disappear pretty quickly though after it went back into the woods.

Newb
09-10-2009, 12:09
Awesome. Too bad you didnt have any cat-nip.

chefjason
09-10-2009, 13:13
I am jealous. I have yet to see any significant wildlife while on the AT. I saw 11 black bears in 3 days while hiking around the Smokies near Gattlynburg, but the ranger told me that was average at best!

SloHiker
09-10-2009, 14:33
You were certainly in the right place at the right time. Bobcats are normally very elusive and are generally seen only when they allow it. I've seen a few in my lifetime, but I've never come close to getting a pic ..... congratulations!

jody
09-10-2009, 15:04
My husband and I hit and killed one that had jumped right out in front of us in our truck one night. We were shocked, amazed, and saddened because we know living here in the woods, of the elusiveness of them.

Lellers
09-10-2009, 15:42
Great shot! I've only seen one bobcat ever, and it was on the Skyline Drive right near the Hawksbill summit trailhead. That was last November. There was hardly any traffic, and I was driving back to Skyland after a day hike further south. My friend and I were so excited to see the bobcat standing in the middle of the drive. It was pretty calm. I stopped the car and we watched. It walked up into the woods on the west side of the drive, stood on a rock and looked back down at us, and then calmly walked off into the woods.

I wonder if it's the same cat? The one I saw was pretty calm and seemed not at all concerned by us or our car.

ShoelessWanderer
09-10-2009, 16:20
Awesome photo! They aren't as commonplace as they use to be, consider yourself lucky for capturing that shot!

ATBuddy
09-10-2009, 21:39
I saw this at SNP last week. Its not a bobcat, but its not something you see everyday.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s14/funnyfick/DSC_0054.jpg

jmhouse
09-11-2009, 11:53
jody - that is a bittersweet sighting. hopefully you'll see one again

lellers - it's very possible that it's the same one. it didn't seem to mind me being there, and that area is definitely one of the busier ones in the park.

atbuddy - that's a cool sighting. i know i've seen photos of that deer before but i've never seen her in person. i think her name is dottie and she lives around skyland or big meadows. i forget which one.

the more i think about the circumstances of this sighting, the more i feel lucky. i wasn't orginally planning on taking the AT back to my car. if there hadn't been a tree blocking the trail i wouldn't have stopped hiking and definitely wouldn't have seen this cat. i passed this area earlier in the day on my way to hawskbill and noticed a lot of noise from the chipmunks but didn't think much of it. they were just as noisy after i saw the bobcat, so i think it's obvious now why. it's been 5 days and i'm still excited about this sighting

jmhouse
09-11-2009, 11:56
I saw this at SNP last week. Its not a bobcat, but its not something you see everyday.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s14/funnyfick/DSC_0054.jpg

i was right about her name being dottie and she lives around skyland:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/labimposter/3668490912/

Graywolf
09-11-2009, 13:51
Hwy Jmmouse, nice shot. Bobcats are very timid and shy animals. They ehar pretty good too. Very lucky shot. Keep this one for memories.

First time I saw a bobcat was in 94 at a wildlife refuse here in Texas. I was out early anting to get a good shot of the sunrise and it was off on ethe side of the road. I git out and followed it about 1/4 mile in high grass. Got some great photos. Wished I had a scanner so I can show you.

Nice deer photo too, I think she maybe confused

ATBuddy
09-20-2010, 12:00
I finally saw my first bobcat! I saw it yesterday. It was crossing Skyline Drive. I didn't get a picture.

sheepdog
09-20-2010, 19:03
great pic. there are actually quite a lot of "cats" around. they are very shy of people and rarely seen.