PDA

View Full Version : MSR Pocket Rocket

inavacuum
09-09-2009, 17:42
Hey guys!

More train hopping gear advice needed.

We want to have a way to cook some small meals and atleast boil water. The MSR Pocket rocket looks like an awesome option. Its 40 bucks, super small, super light and seems durable. About how long can a pocket rocket last on one canister of MSR fuel and what do you think the average cook time/boil time is for any given meal/recipe?

If you were train hopping would you go the pocket rocket route or the hacked up cat food can alcohol stove route? GEtting replacement fuel is not a big deal as our trips are not planned for an extended amount of time as a through hike.

Rocket Jones
09-09-2009, 17:53
I've heard that the Pocket Rocket won't fit inside the GSI Soloist cookset for storage, but the GigaPower will. If you're eyeing that cookset, it would be a consideration. This is second hand info, check for yourself.

Panzer1
09-09-2009, 19:50
About how long can a pocket rocket last on one canister of MSR fuel....

The number of days a canister will last depends on a bunch of factors such as:
the size of the canister,
the time of year, if it is cold it won't last as long,
the number of hot meals you cook in a day,
the number of hot drinks you make in a day,
The number of times you eat in restaurants

In the summer when it is hot and I only cook one hot meal a day and sometimes eat in restaurants and take zero days, I can get over a month out of a 4 fluid ounce container.

Panzer

Press
09-09-2009, 20:26
I would go with Pocket Rocket for sure. Mine works great.

SmokyMtn Hiker
09-09-2009, 20:31
I have been using the Pocket Rocket for a couple of years now and have no complaints. I use the 8oz canisters and if you use it just a few minutes at a time to boil water, etc. the fuel will last a long time.

Stryder
09-09-2009, 20:31
I have a pocket rocket and like it. Backpacker (not my favorite mag but I read it) magazine did a review a few months back that did not rate it very high against similar models from other companies.

Like I said, I like mine though.

Mags
09-09-2009, 20:44
Approx 12-14 boils for a 4 oz canister.

An 8oz canister seems to get 25+/- boils

Other factors will affect this data, but it is a good rule of thumb.

Tinker
09-09-2009, 22:18
I had a PocketRocket and like this better
http://www.gofastandlight.com/prodinfo.asp?number=C-V-T303&variation=
Lower and therefore more stable, sturdier pot supports, and a broader head that doesn't burn things in the middle of a frying pan (if you ever use one).
I don't know if this site still has them. That price is an absolute steal!

Blissful
09-09-2009, 22:22
I used my pocket rocket the entire way without any problems whatsoever. Still using it today. I liked the simmering factor of it. MSR canisters don't work as well as jetboil or snowpeak. A small can lasted me a good week with some left over - depends on how much you cook, wind factor and cold. Use a pot cozy too to cut down on cooking time. And get one on sale.

inavacuum
09-09-2009, 22:31
Wow, a lot of opinions, the vargo titanium looks awesome and its cheaper!

As far as cook sets, I am not familiar. Can anybody point me to some links?

Outrider
09-10-2009, 07:04
I like my Jetboil! Stove and pot with cozy all in one package.

Jester2000
09-10-2009, 10:55
Personally, I think the jetboil might be a better fir for what you're doing, but if you go with a different stove, I like the GSI Soloist:

http://www.theoutfitteratharpersferry.com/servlet/the-3755/GSI-Outdoors-N-dsh-Form-Ultralight/Detail

faarside
09-10-2009, 11:14
Have used a Coleman Peak/1 multi-fuel for MANY years. It's always been reliable, albeit a bit on the heavy side. In alcohol stoves, I like the PackaFeather XL. Adjustable flame, and priced right @ $33.00. Here's a website link:

http://packafeather.com/xlstove.html

(http://packafeather.com/xlstove.html)

Manwich
09-10-2009, 11:28
I've heard that the Pocket Rocket won't fit inside the GSI Soloist cookset for storage, but the GigaPower will. If you're eyeing that cookset, it would be a consideration. This is second hand info, check for yourself.

I've said before that a pocket rocket will HAPPILY fit into a Soloist. Just not with an 8 oz fuel.

This is how i used to have it configured with my 4oz bottle:

http://bayimg.com/image/lanaoaabc.jpg

Nowadays, I use a 3.5oz Snowpeak or Jet boil Canister and I've replaced the orange cup with a collapsable silicone cup (Sea To Summit X-Mug, Orange, Fits PERFECTLY)

So my order from top to bottom in the soloist is:

Lid
Lighter, Teabags, Propel Packets
Titanium Spork, Bent (This will snap after 100-200 bendings)
Pocket Rocket
Tin Foil
Snow Peak Fuel Canister
XMug Silicone Collapsible

modiyooch
09-10-2009, 11:38
pocket rocket

Jester2000
09-10-2009, 12:12
So my order from top to bottom in the soloist is:

Lid
Lighter, Teabags, Propel Packets
Titanium Spork, Bent (This will snap after 100-200 bendings)
Pocket Rocket
Tin Foil
Snow Peak Fuel Canister
XMug Silicone Collapsible

Although it didn't used to, the soloist now comes with what they call a "Foon," which is a plastic spork with a handle that slides rather than folds. It looks pretty flimsy to me (I bought mine right before they added this), but is a pretty cool design.

Manwich
09-10-2009, 12:27
Although it didn't used to, the soloist now comes with what they call a "Foon," which is a plastic spork with a handle that slides rather than folds. It looks pretty flimsy to me (I bought mine right before they added this), but is a pretty cool design.

i bought the soloist the first time the REI Employee stocked it on the shelf. "Hmmm, Never seen this before, must be new"

inavacuum
09-10-2009, 14:34
wow I love how informative you guys are! You guys rock!!!

skinewmexico
09-10-2009, 15:14
To steal quotes from a semi-well known stove tester (both lab and field tests) -

The Pocket Rocket has four deficiencies compared to the (Snowpeak) Gigapower:

The PR pot supports are prone to bending
The PR is much higher and less stable
The PR focuses the flame to a small area, giving a greater risk of burning your dinner
The PR emits a lot of carbon monoxide

Coleman F1 was a great little stove too.........don't think it's made any more though.

Cool AT Breeze
09-10-2009, 15:38
To steal quotes from a semi-well known stove tester (both lab and field tests) -

The PR focuses the flame to a small area, giving a greater risk of burning your dinner

Coleman F1 was a great little stove too.........don't think it's made any more though.
And you can get a wind screen for the Giga

Mags
09-10-2009, 15:39

Still for sale via Campmor, though.
(http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___85280?CS_003=2477120&CS_010=85280WC)
(When I use a canister stove, it is what I use FWIW)

Honestly, the basic canister stoves are all similarly priced with similar performance and weight. It really doesn't matter too much in the end. :)

Rocket Jones
09-10-2009, 16:40
And you can get a wind screen for the Giga

About 10 bucks for the windscreen. Nifty design, incredibly compact.

Cool AT Breeze
09-10-2009, 16:51
About 10 bucks for the windscreen. Nifty design, incredibly compact.
But heavy. Could be made out of aluminum.

Jack Tarlin
09-10-2009, 20:01
I've owned both the Pocket Rocket and the Giga for years.

I prefer the Giga.

Manwich
09-12-2009, 15:09

1 - Yeah, if you bend them. I don't bend my PR's pot supports. Been good for a year now.
2 - If I put mine on a stable surface, I have nothing to worry about
3 - I use mine to boil water.
4 - I don't use it indoors.

earlyriser26
09-13-2009, 11:08
I have been using the pocket rocket for 5 years and it is my favorite. Just put it on a flat surface and it will not tip. Boils super fast. love it, but many similar stoves out there.

baddog
09-13-2009, 17:05
This year I bought a cheap $20 made in china PR clone on e-bay that works great although I have no other experience with which to make comparisons.

inavacuum
09-13-2009, 17:07
From what I can tell, everyone is saying the PR is a good stove. So I"ll probably get it because of availability.

Manwich
09-15-2009, 13:45
This year I bought a cheap $20 made in china PR clone on e-bay that works great although I have no other experience with which to make comparisons.

im curious as to the name of the clone

chicote
09-15-2009, 16:36
I also and a PR supporter. Used it on our thru and it's still kicking.

toegem
09-16-2009, 09:05
I have a Pocket Rocket with no problems, I do prefer my Crux only because it's a little more compact, either will get the job done.

bigcranky
09-16-2009, 09:41
The only downside to the Pocket Rocket is its performance suffers in any kind of breeze. Most canister stoves have the same problem.

The Coleman F1 does not, and it's only $40 at Campmor. That thing is a little blow torch.

Manwich
09-16-2009, 09:46
The F1 can suffer the same deficiency. I've seen an F1 blown out by a butterfly farting.

FamilyGuy
09-16-2009, 10:19
I had a PR and really liked it. Crazy flame, however and not good for simmering (the flame was centralized). And then because of carelessness I bent two of the pot supports and could not get them level after that. I retired the PR and bought a Vargo Jet TI. Why? 1/2 the CO emissions, similar boil times, slightly less weight, and bombproof support. YMMV.

inavacuum
09-16-2009, 10:40
so the PR is a good entry level stove but there are better stoves out there?

Yukon
09-16-2009, 11:03
You'll be fine with the Pocket Rocket, no worries...

FamilyGuy
09-16-2009, 13:28
so the PR is a good entry level stove but there are better stoves out there?

Yes. Here is a list / review of some of them, in addition to the aforementioned Vargo TI Jet (shares the same burner as the Snow Peak):

http://www.backpacker.com/june_09_canned_heat_stove_reviews/gear/13186

bigcranky
09-16-2009, 14:55
The F1 can suffer the same deficiency. I've seen an F1 blown out by a butterfly farting.

I own four or five different canister stoves, and this has not been my experience. Then again, I haven't seen any butterflies near my stoves while cooking.

inavacuum
09-16-2009, 18:38
wow, this is frustrating. I keep deciding to just role with the PR and then somebody comes along and changes my mind.

FamilyGuy
09-16-2009, 18:43
Hi - the PR is a great stove. Very fast and often on sale. Proven. You really can't go wrong but there are certainly a few choices - all have their pros and cons.

Jaybird62
09-16-2009, 19:02
Another vote here for the pocket rocket.....I admit I have not tried any other stoves as the pr is the first bpacking stove, but I have not felt a need to try any other stove.

lazy river road
09-16-2009, 20:20
why arent the wisper internationals light by msr popular...i have one and done seem to hear much about them on WB...i was planning on using this stove this summer for my LT hike...could some one shed some light about their opinions on this stove and the effeciency on the trail...

Cool AT Breeze
09-16-2009, 21:13
They are loud, heavy, bulkyand loud. They work great in the winter.

Mags
09-17-2009, 00:02
Honestly (as mentioned) there is no real functional difference among the $40 Pocket Rockets, SnoPeak, Coleman F1..etc.

Everything is just finer details.

If you go with the basic ~3 oz canister stove from any manufacturer, you will be fine. Don't sweat it. You are just boiling water for Ramen noodles. The view from Max Patch is gonna be good no matter what stove you used to cook your "Generic Boiled Starch Dinner with Tuna" the night before. :)

Tinker
09-17-2009, 00:08

Do you have a link to the above? :D

Tinker
09-17-2009, 00:12
why arent the wisper internationals light by msr popular...i have one and done seem to hear much about them on WB...i was planning on using this stove this summer for my LT hike...could some one shed some light about their opinions on this stove and the effeciency on the trail...
I have one, too. 12.8 oz. without fuel or container to put fuel in. That doesn't count the windscreen, either. I've used mine year round in the past, but since discovering cannisters, alcohol stoves, and Esbit tabs, I only use it in the winter when its tremendous heat output outweigh its bulk, complexity, and, of course, weight.

inavacuum
09-17-2009, 00:16
well...thread is over, I bought the PR.

FamilyGuy
09-17-2009, 00:22

What are you crazy??!?!?!:D

Rocket Jones
09-17-2009, 07:14

Good choice. I would've gone with the Giga. :p

inavacuum
09-17-2009, 13:58
well the PR is the only stove that I can get fuel for locally so...it wins. Anybody know anything about inter-brand canister compatibility?

toegem
09-17-2009, 14:05
well the PR is the only stove that I can get fuel for locally so...it wins. Anybody know anything about inter-brand canister compatibility?
I've used most out there with no problem as long as the canister is a Lindal valve canister.

Jester2000
09-17-2009, 14:07

Here's a good thread that includes a great link:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53829

SunnyWalker
09-18-2009, 00:39
One question: Once you attache the PR to the cannister, can you take if off again without gas escaping from the cannister? I know, I know, dumb question . . . .

Two Speed
09-18-2009, 08:32
. . . Then again, I haven't seen any butterflies near my stoves while cooking.Don't forget, ya gotta feed 'em chili or you won't achieve effective butterfly fart velocity. :cool:
. . . I retired the PR and bought a Vargo Jet TI. Why? 1/2 the CO emissions . . . Any idea how Vargo came to that conclusion? I'm no chemical engineer, but from what I remember of chemistry if you're burning the same fuel with sufficient supply of oxygen . . . (insert lots of boring chemistry crap here) . . . anyway, not quite getting the picture on that.

Nasty Dog Virus
09-18-2009, 08:48
One question: Once you attache the PR to the cannister, can you take if off again without gas escaping from the cannister? I know, I know, dumb question . . . .

Not a dumb question if you don't know the answer...

You can attach and remove a canister to the PR as many times as you like. The valve on top of the canister will reseat itself and close each time you remove the PR.
I have never ever had a canister valve stuck open after removing a stove but I bet its happened to someone here...

oh, and Chaplain...thx a lot...I read your Rudyard Kipling quote and now I can't get his poem "IF" out of my head...

holyphenol
09-18-2009, 09:43
im curious as to the name of the clone

Fire-Maple is the name of the company, it's a Chinese manufacturer that, I'm guessing, supplies OEM parts like Kovea does...
anyways, http://firemaple.en.alibaba.com/product/225011294-50325872/Portable_Gas_stove.html is the knockoff...
thought about getting one just to put it side by side w/my PR in case I bend a pot stand(had it for a few years now and still hasn't happened - should i be kickstarting my PR to get it to light...?)

rusane
09-20-2009, 20:14
I've heard that the Pocket Rocket won't fit inside the GSI Soloist cookset for storage

It will - it's just not easy. If your using the smaller (4 oz?) fuel cans, you can orient the bowl and the concave side of the can to get the pocket rocket to fit. You have to lay the pocket rocket in just right to get the pot holders in though. I usually bring the bigger fuel can and the pocket rocket stays in it's own plastic case. I use the extra space in the soloist for things like an extra lighter and a spork.

Cool AT Breeze
09-21-2009, 12:37
Not a dumb question if you don't know the answer...

You can attach and remove a canister to the PR as many times as you like. The valve on top of the canister will reseat itself and close each time you remove the PR.
I have never ever had a canister valve stuck open after removing a stove but I bet its happened to someone here...

oh, and Chaplain...thx a lot...I read your Rudyard Kipling quote and now I can't get his poem "IF" out of my head...
Happend to me.I smelled fuel in my pack put the stove back on the canister took it off no more problems. Now after I take the stove apart I let it set for a minute then smell the canister before packing it.

SunnyWalker
09-25-2009, 18:28
Thanks nasty and Cool AT. Appreciate it. Yeah, Nasty, I like that quote also and his work.

GrubbyJohn
09-25-2009, 21:24
wally world still sells the coleman

FamilyGuy
09-27-2009, 23:45
Don't forget, ya gotta feed 'em chili or you won't achieve effective butterfly fart velocity. :cool:Any idea how Vargo came to that conclusion? I'm no chemical engineer, but from what I remember of chemistry if you're burning the same fuel with sufficient supply of oxygen . . . (insert lots of boring chemistry crap here) . . . anyway, not quite getting the picture on that.

Recent comparison test here where CO2 was measured:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/canister_stove_efficiency_p2.html

Result: Pocket Rocket emitted 8 times the CO2 as the Vargo in boiling one litre of water. It also burned more fuel. Thankfully it is not marketing hype (for once).

Mags
09-28-2009, 00:53
...and in the real world you are still boiling two cups of water for Ramen. Honestly, the stoves aren't that different.
:sun

Two Speed
09-28-2009, 09:16
. . . 1/2 the CO emissions, similar boil times, slightly less weight, and bombproof support. YMMV.
Recent comparison test here where CO2 was measured:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/canister_stove_efficiency_p2.html

Result: Pocket Rocket emitted 8 times the CO2 as the Vargo in boiling one litre of water. It also burned more fuel. Thankfully it is not marketing hype (for once).I don't subscribe to backpackinglight so I'm not able to see the details on the report, so help me out here: CO or CO2? Huge difference, chemically speaking. I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that any stove that emits large amounts of CO in normal operation would be associated with a fair number of fatalities.

In addition, we talking twice or eight times? Frankly results like that just don't sound right. For a "apples to apples" comparison the stoves should be burning the same fuel, some mix of butane and propane and a difference in efficiency that would lead to that sort of difference in performance just doesn't look right.

Burning more fuel would be consistent, but it I find it extremely hard to believe it would be a fractional amount if those results are correct. Even a doubling in CO2 emissions implies a doubling in fuel consumption, much less a factor of eight.

skinewmexico
09-28-2009, 10:11
The stoves in the BPL test were all measured under identical lab conditions, using identical fuel supplies. And they were measuring CO, since that is what kills you. And yes, on high, the PR had 7 times more CO than he Gigapower. On low, it was around 45 times. I did find it interesting in all of the stove testing on BPL that most of the companies put the burner too close to the pot, and you can almost eliminate CO by raising the pot 10mm.

MintakaCat
09-28-2009, 10:29
If you want the massive amount of details on fuel mixtures then this web site will give you far more than most can handle:

http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Mixtures.htm

Two Speed
09-28-2009, 10:40
The stoves in the BPL test were all measured under identical lab conditions . . . 'Kay, now we know we're considering CO, and um, yeah, that's kinda hazardous. Still surprised there's that much difference in CO generation. IIRC CO is combustible, so that would help explain the difference in efficiency. Do you know if the way the pot stand is built on the Vargo tends to place the flame farther from the pot than the MSR?
If you want the massive amount of details on fuel mixtures . . . Gonna take me a while to digest that. Might get back to you, might not.

skinewmexico
09-28-2009, 11:41
Don't know about pot stand heights on the Vargo. I'd probably only worry about the CO if I was trying to cook in a tent or vestibule, which I wouldn't recommend to anyone. But I like to have that option. YMMV.

Two Speed
09-28-2009, 12:34
Okay, did BPL offer any statistics on the amount of CO generated, as in the Vargo emitted X% and the MSR emitted Y% of the total gasses emitted?

FamilyGuy
09-28-2009, 15:18
Okay, did BPL offer any statistics on the amount of CO generated, as in the Vargo emitted X% and the MSR emitted Y% of the total gasses emitted?

Yes it did.

Two Speed
09-28-2009, 15:20
Aaaaand the results were?

SunnyWalker
10-07-2009, 22:11
I just saw in Wal-Mart the other night in Camping a cannister stove that is similar to PR. Heavier, but clearly intended for backpacking. right near Coleman cannisters.

SunnyWalker
10-23-2009, 21:32
Does anyone know of a link to a windbreak for a PR stove?

SunnyWalker
10-28-2009, 19:19
I bought a PR and read the directions. It recommends no (fabricated) wind break. I suppose one could use rocks or whatnot. But it recommends no use of a metal of artificial windbreak one might use, e.g., foil one for MSR stoves, Caldera cone, etc.

SunnyWalker
10-28-2009, 19:20
Oh I forgot to mention-man the things works good! Wow, its fast too! Sure heat up my little pot of soup pronto. But, it IS lightweight. I guess I expected it to be a little more heavy duty.

SunnyWalker
11-10-2009, 19:42
I got the PR part reason was what MAGS was saying. In the end, they are pretty much all the same. So I just opted for the MSR. It works just fine.

FamilyGuy
11-10-2009, 20:23
Except that the pot stands bend easily.

Just kidding.

inavacuum
11-11-2009, 16:13
Except that the pot stands bend easily.

x2

Third outting with the PR and one of them bent, but only because a friend knocked his pot off of it.

SunnyWalker
04-13-2010, 22:43
Yeah, like I said it IS lightweight. But that's what its all about. I will carry it in its little plastic container and be careful when unfolding it. Small price to pay to such a lightweight stove. Wow! Really neat.

Bags4266
04-13-2010, 23:00
I have one, love it, never use it unless it is 3 or more people I hike with. As far as it bending... I guess it could as well as me stepping on it. Pretty careful w/ my gear. But any stove could bend or break given the right opportunity.

SunnyWalker
05-27-2010, 09:05
I bought the GSI Solist set. I worked with my PR with my pots I had and they were too big. It seemed hard to heat up the whole pot. The GSI Soloist has a narrower diameter. Coo! I mean, hot!

longhiker
05-27-2010, 13:07
I have the pocket rocket and it's a great stove.. the only problem is that it doesn't work well with bigger pots. I have a Snow Peak 1400 and the pot isn't terribly stable on it. It's probably stable with smaller pots..

The CO is worrisome but if you cook outdoors, not in your tent, and are just boiling water -- I wouldn't worry about it. I set it up and walk away and go back when the water is boiling. The CO obviously will not kill you or harm you in wide open wilderness. In the tent or if you are leaning over it -- that's a different story.

IceAge
05-27-2010, 13:30
Fire-Maple is the name of the company, it's a Chinese manufacturer that, I'm guessing, supplies OEM parts like Kovea does...
anyways, http://firemaple.en.alibaba.com/product/225011294-50325872/Portable_Gas_stove.html is the knockoff...
thought about getting one just to put it side by side w/my PR in case I bend a pot stand(had it for a few years now and still hasn't happened - should i be kickstarting my PR to get it to light...?)

I have a Chinese Pocket Rocket clone/knock-off/whatever and its brand name is Pathfinder or something similar to that. Works pretty good, just don't use it that much since switching to a StarLyte.

Mags
05-27-2010, 13:38
The CO is worrisome but if you cook outdoors, not in your tent, and are just boiling water -- I wouldn't worry about it.

Esp with the lightweight silnylon shelters many of us use (holy combustibles batman!), no stove should be used in a tent. :)

Panzer1
05-27-2010, 13:55
I have the pocket rocket and it's a great stove.. the only problem is that it doesn't work well with bigger pots. I have a Snow Peak 1400 and the pot isn't terribly stable on it. It's probably stable with smaller pots..

The PR is a small stove and is designed to be used with small pots.

Panzer

Luddite
05-27-2010, 20:38
If you're riding trains the only gear you need is an alice pack, an army surplus sleeping bag, a pair of combat boots. and a bottle of whiskey.