PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Atmos 50

rapchizzle
09-09-2009, 22:36
I just bought one and got a hell of a deal on it. I've heard nothing but good things about it. Anyone got any critiques? I'd be interested to hear if anyone has had any problems with them.

Shoulda asked before buying but I got a trip this weekend I wanted it for and the deal was too good to pass up!

KMACK
09-10-2009, 03:47
I had an Atmos 65. It rubbed the top of my ass raw from the alloy stays and had to return it. I have read one or two other reviews with the same issue. But most every one loves their Atmos packs.

KMACK
09-10-2009, 03:49
I had an Atmos 65. It rubbed the top of my ass raw from the alloy stays and had to return it. I have read one or two other reviews with the same issue. But most every one loves their Atmos packs.

Peaks
09-10-2009, 07:44
The frame is very light weight. Don't overload it. It just doesn't carry well.

bigcranky
09-10-2009, 12:15
As long as the pack fits well -- most especially the metal frame where it contacts the hip belt (and your hips) -- it's a very nice pack.

g8trh8tr
09-10-2009, 17:56
Nice pack but the shoulder straps are not padded enough and cause my shoulders to get sore.

skinewmexico
09-10-2009, 19:08
If it was a good enough deal, you should have no trouble flipping it if you hate it.

Spokes
09-10-2009, 19:48
I loved my Atmos 65 on this years thru-hike but be aware of the consistent gripe of owners is.........

the fraying and tearing issues of the mesh and zipper border material on the hipbelt pockets. Of course the comfort level of the pack makes this a minor inconvenience.

Have fun with your new pack!

-Spokes

mrhughes1982
09-12-2009, 15:16
I just recently bought this pack for my attempt next year. I haven't tested it though I've just thrown it in the closest along with some other upgrades I don't want to put any wear and tear on till the time comes. I seems nice and I've heard some good reviews on it so thats why I got it.

TroutEhCuss
11-01-2009, 02:51
the 50 is too small for a thru hike. the 65 is much better.

dragonfeet
11-01-2009, 14:13
I love my atmos the only problem i have had with it is the top part that can supposedly be converted into a hip pack or something had a pad in it that mad a big hump so when ever i opened it things fell out, I cut out the pad and it holds alot better.

Donnie
11-01-2009, 17:28
the 50 is too small for a thru hike. the 65 is much better.

Depending on what you carry, the 50 can be just the right size for a thru. It all comes down to what you carry.

I didn't have any problems with the hip belt pockets other than the belt itself being (almost too small) after a few days of calorie deficit, your waist can shrink a bit, hah! Overall, I liked the pack and even came up with a nice system for refilling the bladder while it is still in the back (another common gripe from Atmos users who facilitate bladders.)

-Donnie

Cool AT Breeze
11-01-2009, 22:16
The 50 is perfect for a thru. You can put too much crap in a 65.

mrhughes1982
11-02-2009, 15:36
I got recently got my 50 for my 2010 hike and I love it. Haven't taken it out yet but with the gear so far I've got and I'll be slashing a little wait and gaing a big when I get my nest I'll be good to go. After everything minus food and and the room I have left in the pack this is going to work out perfect. Seems to fit me ok and hope I don't get any kind of rash on my rear-end from it. Looking foward to going out next weekend for a couple days on the Shelotowee Trace and John Muir Trail in Big South Fork to test it out.

Good times! :banana

Ender
11-02-2009, 16:47
I have one. If it fits you, you'll love it. If not, you'll hate it. There doesn't tend to be much middle ground with this pack.

I love my 50... perfect size, and the ventillated back is wonderful.

mrhughes1982
11-02-2009, 16:54
I like how you could put a water bag in the ventilated part. On a hot day with an icey bag of water to sip out of it seems like it would feel very refreshing.

Peaks
11-02-2009, 18:25
I like how you could put a water bag in the ventilated part. On a hot day with an icey bag of water to sip out of it seems like it would feel very refreshing.

But, your water gets that much warmer that much quicker. For me, it's not that great an idea.

mrhughes1982
11-02-2009, 18:56
Never really thought about that. Good point. But it's a good spot say in the cold so it stays at a decent temp I suspect. What's your views on that?

TroutEhCuss
11-02-2009, 19:02
On my 4 day Pictured Rocks trail adventure I tried different ways of working with a water hydration system. In the sleeve it's supposed to go, it was hard to take in and out to refill (mostly trying to put it back in). When I put it in between the venting area I found that the water got really warm and my back was less comfortable. The only place it worked well was in the outside pocket on the back.

If you go in towns (every 3-4 days) a lot then maybe the 50 would be ok, but if your going to spend more time out - nah! My pack weight was down low - food and water was my primary weight. The pack felt fine in the store packed with weight and even the first few hours, after that it was a pain. Each to their own.

daddytwosticks
11-03-2009, 08:39
When section hiking in June here in the southern apps, that venting for your back makes all the difference. :)

Peaks
11-04-2009, 17:42
Never really thought about that. Good point. But it's a good spot say in the cold so it stays at a decent temp I suspect. What's your views on that?

Yes, except when I carry mine for back country skiing, the line freezes, even though I've got it insulated. This year I'll try keeping the mouthpiece inside my jacket.

Montana AT05
11-07-2009, 16:30
It's a nice pack, I have it. I have only used it on overnights though. I opted for a frameless pack for longer trips (thru's, multi nights).

The arched internal back makes packing it a pain at times, depending on what you're packing. I was entering one of Kalifornia's many over-regulated "wilderness" <-- haha areas that requires bear canisters and I had major issues getting the canister into the Atmos (was smallest canister I could find). I finally ditched the canister and l ditched the remainder of the People's Demokratik Republik of Taxifornia in favor of lands less controlled.

Also the rubbing of the Atmos frame concerns me for long term use. Btu when properly packed and weighted, the Atmos fits like a glove and is highly stable.

But plenty of people use it for thru's and love the pack. It is a good one. Individual mileage will vary.

srestrepo
11-10-2009, 23:35
this information to follow is of course dependent upon how large you are or not. but being 5'11 280 pounds, i find that that shoulder straps always touch my neck even if the sternum strap isn't pulled tight. the hipbelt and everything else though is awesome, and dont put much more than 35 pounds in it it doesn't carry well and the frame and stuff starts to squeak...

can't beat the ventilation by the way!