PDA

View Full Version : Non-expensive house-brand gear

Gramps
09-09-2009, 23:22
I realize the old adage "You get what you pay for" sometimes applies, especially when it comes to gear, but has anyone bought house-brand backpacking gear and it served them as wonderfully as the high-priced stuff? I'm talking about brands like Coleman or Ozark Trails. I bought a pair of hiking shoes (trail runner style) off the shelf @ Wally World for $22 and they are holding up beautifully, just a little wear on the inner liner. Of course most of it is walking the local roads, but I have close to 200 miles on them. I think this is great based on the regular sneakers I buy there for $10-15 and they wear out in 6-8 weeks, maybe 3 months if I'm lucky. Anyone else have a similiar experience?:-?

garlic08
09-10-2009, 00:10
Welcome to the world of dirtbaggers. Personally, I prefer to buy the name brand stuff from close-out sales, steepandcheap.com, etc. I have favorite shoe and sock brands that I know are reliable for a thru hike, and I stick with them and maybe pay $30 more per pair than the cheaper stuff. I also patronize the US "cottage industry" like Henry Shires Tarptents, Gossamer Gear, etc. But why pay $160 for high-end trekking poles when a pair of old ski poles from the dumpster work just fine? Home-made alky stoves have fueled countless thru hikes. Simple tarps are common shelters. You see lots of Tyvek, blue foam pads, Walmart greasepots, military surplus clothing, cheap old frame packs, etc. out there.

Mags
09-10-2009, 00:29
Garlic..you just described most of my gear. :)

Peaks
09-10-2009, 07:47
Well, I'm partial to polypro from EMS.

Many hikers use homemade alcohol stoves.

And, look for clothing at places like George's Dress Well Outdoors, formerly the Underwear Guys.

birdog
09-10-2009, 07:59
You know, most of the house brand stuff holds up reasonably well if not pushed past the limits. However, when push comes to shove, the high end gear does(with some exceptions) come thru when you really need it. Save where you can; ie. utensils, gloves, tarps, hats, and the like. A $3 hat from the thrift store has served me well for three seasons of COLD winter hiking. As I write this I can't help but admit that it would take a pack of wild dogs to get my Arc'teryx Alpha SV shell (retail price of $600) off my back when the weather turns foul.

Gray Blazer
09-10-2009, 08:01
I get my Columbia boots from Rack Room Shoes.

Grinder
09-10-2009, 08:24
sgt rock has a good article on just what you're asking.

I used it to get started. also, "selling used gear" section here was very useful for me.

Summit
09-10-2009, 12:04
I tend to buy quality gear that has consistently good reviews from people who've used it. I then bargain shop and NPR (Never Pay Retail). With the Internet and google search, one shouldn't have to pay retail.

LIhikers
09-10-2009, 17:31
.......I realize the old adage "You get what you pay for" sometimes applies, especially when it comes to gear,

That's often not the case, but you can be sure that you'll pay for what you get.

HIKERJEN
09-10-2009, 18:04
I buy lightly used / returned, name-brand products, (tent, sleeping bag, backpack ) for 50-60% off ! Most of the stuff was used only once-ends up being cheaper than brand new house brand gear.

skinewmexico
09-10-2009, 19:06
Steep and Cheap gets me often! Otherwise, I try to do like Mags and Garlic08, and hit US cottage industries.

Franco
09-10-2009, 19:09
Being in Melbourne I cannot really take advantage of some on line prices from the US (Steep&Cheap/Sierra Trading Post/REI clearance) because of postage costs. However we have several outlets where end of line and odds and ends get sold very cheaply if you happen to be there at the right time. Shoes are a good example. I also get good discounts simply because I got to know well several retailers, often customers of mine also (photo gear) so it does help to support your local shop too and treat retailers like human beings.
Having visited REI in Seattle 4 times (!) in less than 3 weeks , I noted the amount of very desirable gear that gets returned (service counter) , it would cost me a fortune buying those bargains if I were there...
BTW, helps if you keep an eye on product changes. For example Exped sold their mats at half price when they changed over to the built-in pump version. The same happens when agencies change hands and retailers lose access to that account.
( the outdoor market tends to be very "vertical" with most retailers only supporting a limited amount of wholesalers/importers)

Franco

Wise Old Owl
09-10-2009, 19:56
Being in Melbourne I cannot really take advantage of some on line prices from the US (Steep&Cheap/Sierra Trading Post/REI clearance) because of postage costs. However we have several outlets where end of line and odds and ends get sold very cheaply if you happen to be there at the right time. Shoes are a good example. I also get good discounts simply because I got to know well several retailers, often customers of mine also (photo gear) so it does help to support your local shop too and treat retailers like human beings.
Having visited REI in Seattle 4 times (!) in less than 3 weeks , I noted the amount of very desirable gear that gets returned (service counter) , it would cost me a fortune buying those bargains if I were there...
BTW, helps if you keep an eye on product changes. For example Exped sold their mats at half price when they changed over to the built-in pump version. The same happens when agencies change hands and retailers lose access to that account.
( the outdoor market tends to be very "vertical" with most retailers only supporting a limited amount of wholesalers/importers)

Franco

I will top that Franco (One Ausi to another) I just mailed a 3 oz package to Canada and had to declare what I was shipping! (Beans)I wrote.... I wonder if she got it......

Hey did you know the commercial shipment of Vegimite cannot come to the USA?

J5man
09-10-2009, 20:30
My hiking poles came from Target. Eddie Bauer -$30 a pair.

Seeker
09-10-2009, 20:52
the best pair of boots i ever owned came from Payless or Walmart. Rugged Outback brand, about $15 iirc... they're completely shot now, used only for mowing the lawn, but they were great for a lot of years.

walmart/kmart grease pot is a good piece of gear. i also look for 100% wool items at the salvation army/goodwill, where they are much cheaper. and i found a nice soft 100% wool midweight shirt on an LL Bean store clearance rack this past summer... for $5... probably my best bargain ever!

Franco
09-10-2009, 20:56
Vegemite and Foster beer. Products for export (cause we can't stand them)

Going back to Gramps
The secret of saving money when buying is to buy when things are on special/clearance not when you need them right now...
Sooner or later you will need a new pair of shoes, a pair of trousers or socks. Technology is not improving that fast there.

Shops change brands/lines/suppliers, so take advantage of that.
Same with groceries BTW. Look at the bottom shelves and buy what is on special, don't buy just before dinner what you want that particular night. For fresh stuff, buy what is on season.
At the market here the last hour before they close for a few days , food sells very cheaply. Take advantage of that if you can.

Franco

Gramps
09-10-2009, 21:00
Interesting comments. I guess what I'm getting at is are you willing to trust a particular item as mentioned above when you're on a thru-hike and may have trouble replacing it? This is especially true if it's something critical, like your sleeping bag or backpack?

Wise Old Owl
09-10-2009, 21:03
Thanks Franco- I had a good belly laugh - guess we are into Swan or somthin stronger....

Press
09-10-2009, 21:05
My hiking poles came from Target. Eddie Bauer -$30 a pair.

Mine too. They're rugged and not real heavy. I've bent a couple, but they're so cheap, who cares?

Blissful
09-10-2009, 21:06
I think a good backpack and sleeping bag can go a long way with a thru hike and the wear and tear. But you can get good deals on that too. Like last year's model or one someone is selling.

Tinker
09-10-2009, 21:20
Rule #1: Never buy a "bargain" sleeping bag.
They are anything BUT! Unspecified fill material which may lose loft is not a bargain. That said, they're fine for summer overnight use.
Rule #2: Make sure you follow rule #1.
I believe that you can use generic tents (especially if you intend to stay at shelters often) and get by - better yet, buy a silnylon tarp and put any kind of tent underneath. Unless your floor leaks like a sieve, you'll be fine. I use a Walrus (now REI) Bug Hut 2 when hiking in summer with my son. We put it under an Equinox 10x12 tarp and do just fine for long weekend trips. Total weight is around 4 lbs.
Cheap footwear can be fine, too. Buy what fits well and replace it when necessary.
Don't scrimp on socks. Bad socks can cause BAD blister problems due to the amount of moisture they hold or the abrasiveness of the material or weave.
I have, however, found the Omni-wool socks (a friend bought them for me at Sam's Club, I believe) to be just as good as Smartwools for half the price. Google them.
I sold my Hennessy Hammock Ultralight A-sym Backpacker hammock and use a $20.00 top loader from REI (closeout) and an ENO bug net under a variety of tarps. Cheap and easier to enter/exit, and don't require over & under quilts, just a snug bag to pull over the hammock when it's cold (I leave the netting at home after first frost).

There's nothing wrong with contacting some of the "cottage" manufacturers for seconds or returns. I just got a $240.00 tent for $100.00 because I was willing to take one with a few minor stitching flaws which was, essentially, a "practice model" and, as such, is a part of the history of the maker Lightheart Gear. Perfectly functional, and I am testing it for her (though I'm not sure I can sleep soundly going back to ground dwelling).
Some good backpacks can be had from Sierra Trading Post (as well as nearly everything else). Some of the clothing is simply colors which didn't sell, or either end of the size spectrum (in raingear, getting a size (or two) larger than you usually would often helps greatly when you need to vent in hot weather.
Sure, you can go cheap, but go carefully! :)

XCskiNYC
09-10-2009, 21:56
I realize the old adage "You get what you pay for" sometimes applies, especially when it comes to gear, but has anyone bought house-brand backpacking gear and it served them as wonderfully as the high-priced stuff? I'm talking about brands like Coleman or Ozark Trails. I bought a pair of hiking shoes (trail runner style) off the shelf @ Wally World for $22 and they are holding up beautifully, just a little wear on the inner liner. Of course most of it is walking the local roads, but I have close to 200 miles on them. I think this is great based on the regular sneakers I buy there for $10-15 and they wear out in 6-8 weeks, maybe 3 months if I'm lucky. Anyone else have a similiar experience?:-?

I just put 34 trail miles on a $30 pair of Coleman hiking shoes from K-Mart similar to what you're mentioning (hard, rugged sole; lo-cut suede/mesh uppper).

Sometimes the special details of hiking gear are worth paying extra for. Like I just changed my kitchen from a $2 Teflon milk-heater pan and a plastic cup ($0.99 I think) to an Optimus Weekender cook kit ($24.99).

The total weight on the pan and cup was 14 ozs. The total weight on the Optimus kit was 7.8 ozs.

All together with this savings and various others, pack weight on my last hike got whittled from 37 lbs down to 34. That's a good thing.:banana

Another plus of the Optimus kit is that it all fits together, thus storing in less space, and the inner space of the Optimus allows for more storage area for little odds and ends.

In terms of materials, both the $2 pan and the Optimus kit are both lightweight aluminum with TEflon coating.

As far as thru-hiking, some people say the AT will grind down anything you throw at it so it's best to keep investment, where possible, to a minimum.

mkmangold
09-10-2009, 22:52
Bought a pair of Ozark Mountain hiking shoes at Walmart after reading a comparative test article that praised them. After a couple years, I have to ShooGoo the pads back in but that's about it.
On the other hand, if you seriously utilize your hiking staff as I do for more vertical ascents and to pitch my tarptent, do not go with the cheaper brand. I believe when it comes to safety, go with quality.
One of the mills here in Wisconsin (I can't recall the name just now) has annual odds-and-ends sales where I buy wool socks in bulk, sometimes for as low as $2.50 a pair.

XCskiNYC
09-13-2009, 23:46
Another great alternate product: generic headlamps instead of Black Diamond et al:

There's the $5.99 K-Mart LED headlamp (3 ozs. with 3 AAA batts). I've used mine on a few outings so far, 6 days total, and it's still going strong on the original set of batteries.

AFAIK Walmart doesn't have anything this inexpensive, or at least the one where I had the chance to peruse the Walmart stuff did not, though they have a cute LED lamp made to look like a lantern (4 AA's, 8 ozs. including batts).

Home Depot has 3-AAA LED headlamps, $4.99 each and also in a 3-pack for $14.99.

Mags
09-14-2009, 00:43
[quote=XCskiNYC;893459
AFAIK Walmart doesn't have anything this inexpensive, or at least the one where I had the chance to peruse the Walmart stuff did not, though they have a cute LED lamp made to look like a lantern (4 AA's, 8 ozs. including batts).

[/quote]

It is not quite that inexpensive ($6), but at Wallyworld is a a 2 white/1 red LED headlamp that is 2.5 oz, comes with 3 AAA batteries and just under $13 or so.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10233057

berninbush
09-14-2009, 09:16
Recently at Walmart I got an Outdoor Products backpack (I think the make is "Avalanche 8.0" or something like that but I'd have to look.) It has a sternum strap, hip belt, interior pouch for a water bag and hose (made to work with the Cyclone bags also sold at Walmart), a clip to hold the end of the hose so it doesn't drag in the dirt, and two removable stays that serve as a very lightweight/minimal frame for heavier loads. I took it on a 13 mile hike over Labor Day and was pretty happy with it.

mister krabs
09-14-2009, 10:34
Recently at Walmart I got an Outdoor Products backpack (I think the make is "Avalanche 8.0" or something like that but I'd have to look.) It has a sternum strap, hip belt, interior pouch for a water bag and hose (made to work with the Cyclone bags also sold at Walmart), a clip to hold the end of the hose so it doesn't drag in the dirt, and two removable stays that serve as a very lightweight/minimal frame for heavier loads. I took it on a 13 mile hike over Labor Day and was pretty happy with it.

(http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2498)If it's the Skyline 8.0, I bought the same one. I like it alot. Here's a post I made about it on BPlite. (http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2498)

berninbush
09-14-2009, 11:38
Nope, that's a different style from what I got. I'll try to post a picture. Same company, though. Mine is a nice light green color, has a drawstring top, and a pocket lid. It doesn't have the hip belt pockets... wish it did, that's a nice feature!

Blue Jay
09-14-2009, 19:11
I have plenty of cheap stuff that has lasted thousands of miles. My best is a small, almost bivy, Coleman that I bought at a yard sale over 20 years ago. Too much condensation for cold weather but it has never leaked. In warm weather almost all my gear is yard sale/good will. As others have said the exceptions are packs and sleeping bags, as good ones are almost impossible to find.

Jack Tarlin
09-14-2009, 19:37
I also get my headlamps from Wal-Mart. I support small independent Outfitters as much as possible, but I simply refuse to spend 48 bucks for a flashlight.

Petr
09-14-2009, 20:08
If you search Craigslist nationally (from the main screen, not your local one) there are some good deals to be found. I snagged a very lightly used 2.1 pound 0 degree Sierra Designs Snowlight bag for $99 bucks (shipping included) from some guy in Provo, Utah that retailed for over $300.

berninbush
09-15-2009, 00:57
The Outdoor Products pack I got is the Arrowhead 8.0. (Not sure where "Avalanche" came from in my mind... oh well. They do seem to like the number 8.)

I'm trying to attach a couple of pictures to this post. We'll see if it works. Sorry they're kinda dim... it's late and my living room is not well lit.

sbhikes
09-15-2009, 11:10
I like to get things from thrift stores and craft stores when I can. Clothes, mostly.

I tend to buy new gear so I like to buy products from Equinox. Equinox seems to have things that are both cheaper and lighter than most other companies. I have their 8x10 tarp, bivy and rain chaps. The cottage makers often have really good prices plus their stuff is lightest of all.

XCskiNYC
09-17-2009, 00:27
Old Navy has a nice line of all-poly sports-oriented shirts called RecTech for $10.00, sometimes marked down to $8.00. They come in black, white, red, navy, gray, and green.

They are similar to this product:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___91438

Wise Old Owl
09-17-2009, 08:45
I think a good backpack and sleeping bag can go a long way with a thru hike and the wear and tear. But you can get good deals on that too. Like last year's model or one someone is selling.

I am always amazed how UL stuff shows up a tenth of the price at various websites.

Rocket Jones
05-29-2010, 10:35
(http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2498)If it's the Skyline 8.0, I bought the same one. I like it alot. Here's a post I made about it on BPlite. (http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2498)

Based on your posts, I went to WallyWorld last night, checked out the packs and walked out with the Skyline. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and features on this $30 day pack, but my favorite part might be the color choices - subdued blue or subdued green. I hate gear that comes in colors like "Instant Retinal Burn" or "Screaming Chipotle Rash".

tnwolf51
05-29-2010, 11:13
hey i use an ozark trail tent had it for years now never any problems fits the bill just right and very light weight as well.7x7 dome 2 person.

BigFoot2002
05-29-2010, 11:30
If I had a choice of which tent to sleep in during high winds, I would choose my Coleman Inyo over my Big Agnes SL1. And it's about one third the price.

Jester2000
05-29-2010, 11:36
Whether you buy cheap gear or expensive gear, it all costs the same. It's just a matter of how you pay for it.

remington79
05-29-2010, 22:50
I'm a firm believer in my Colman Peak 442 Feather. I've been using this stove since 1992 and I've never had a problem and I haven't rebuilt it either. I know it's heavier than some stoves but it doesn't need a windscreen and I've never had to use preheating paste to get it going in the winter. (I think part of that is because the generator goes through the middle of the burner heating the fuel up. The other version where the generator goes to the side has problems in cold weather)
I was on a trip in Philmont back in 95 and one of the guys on my trip had a MSR stove. he lost a filter to it and wasn't able to use the stove the whole trip. He ended up carrying dead weight for 60 miles.
I will continue to carry my 442 and white gas. It's served me well and its self contained with no parts to loose. If this stove ever goes out I'll replace it with another.

BigFoot2002
05-30-2010, 09:10
I also have a 20 year old coleman 442, and actually started my 02 hike with it. It is now ujsed only for car, canoe, and motorcycle camping. While touring on the bike, I just siphon fuel out of the tank. Or better yet, I cruise to the Doyle for dinner.

amac
05-31-2010, 06:37
WalMart has a line of synthetic baselayer clothing which, IMO, can't be beat for the price. I think I paid $12 for a long sleeve. And when you look at the tag, the fabric composition is virtually identical to the stuff used for UnderArmor (different by 1%). I use it all the time: hiking, biking, snowshoeing, etc.

Tin Man
05-31-2010, 06:59
campmor brand down bags are a good deal cheaper than name brands... got mine after Lone Wolf posted about them

Egads
05-31-2010, 08:07
My oldest daughter just graduated from college is moving to Utah in a month, so off to REI we go. We end up with a REI Flash 50 after trying on every Gregory, Osprey, & Granite Gear pack in her size. Paid only $119 after using her 20% member's discount.

We refused to try on any of the 60+ liter packs the salesman pulled off the shelf. I told him up front that less is more in the world of backpacks. I seriously doubt she will carry more than 2-3 nights of food / gear.

randyg45
05-31-2010, 10:42
I have bought hundreds of items from eBay, ranging in price from pocket change to $13,500. I've had some things that didn't fit and a couple I didn't like. I resold them. I've had two real problems; one was resolved to my satisfaction, the other I ate.
I'm waaaaaay ahead.
I also own some things I could never have afforded new.....

The Solemates
06-01-2010, 09:52
like anything, you have to know what works for you. some things can just as easily be bought at half the cost with little reduction in quality for you, other things you may want to go with the name brand. but, it is a personal thing, what works for you, may not work for me.

for instance, i dont see why people need hiking poles at all. but, my wife likes to use them. but she is perfectly happy with the $10 set we bought at walmart.

likewise, she is perfectly happy with her $30 pair of columbia hiking boots as well. and i am perfectly happy hiking in my $30 pair of chacos.

i am perfectly happy hiking in cheap socks, whereas she likes the name brand socks.

i like to buy name brand sleeping bags (unless the temperature is high, then i just take a cheap fleece blanket). some of my hiking buddies are okay with a $100 kelty or llbean bag.

to each his own..

mykl
06-01-2010, 15:13
The whole dirtbagging term is really refered to people who are money concious, not marketing suckers, not people who listen to backpacker magazine, people who don't have money to piss away to have the newest, trendiest, so-called-hi-tec gear (you know, the people who like to talk about their gear and show off and think they are "pros", etc.
My $50- Slumberjack has been keeping me comfortable for three season camping for 4 years now, with lots of use. Weighs 2.5 pounds and compacts well. One little rip (my fault) that my GF fixed in a minute and is just fine.
Never have nor will spend over $200- on a tent. I'm happy with my shelters.
My Osprey pack cast me $120 on sale. Again happy.
$100 Prolite Plus sleeping pad is comfi and compact. Yea not as compact as a neoair, but cheaper and more durable. And I'll have the Prolite way longer than a glorified garbage bag called the neoair.
I wear either $70 boots from Sears or water sneakers that cost me $40.
My point is to buy whats comfortable for you and do your own research. Go with what feels right for you personaly, not only what is recommended because it works for someone else. And even if you have the money to spend, it doesn't mean it will buy you gear that you will like.
Just my opinion, bash away....

JAK
06-01-2010, 15:19
I got an Ozark Trails tent, kid sized 3'x6', worked great but a tad too short.
I only use the tent when I hike with my daughter. Not really rain tested yet.
Cheap and light.

berninbush
06-08-2010, 17:38
I've had several Ozark Trails kids' 5' x 6' tents and they do work well. One will fit me (lying diagonally for more room), with my dog in one corner and my pack in the other.

Danielsen
08-16-2010, 22:44
The Outdoor Products pack I got is the Arrowhead 8.0. (Not sure where "Avalanche" came from in my mind... oh well. They do seem to like the number 8.)

I'm trying to attach a couple of pictures to this post. We'll see if it works. Sorry they're kinda dim... it's late and my living room is not well lit.

This may be a little late, but I wanted to mention that if you trim off the lid pocket (leave the lid), the useless pocket with the handle on it running down the back, and then turn it inside out to cut out the heavy webbing that holds in the aluminum stays and the hydration reservoir, you've suddenly got a super-cheap highly functional sub-2-pound pack. I'm pretty sure I've gotten mine to 1.5 pounds or below, and the trash bag full of the stuff I've trimmed (all of which was useless anyways) feels heavier than the pack in its current state.

Drop in a rolled pad for suspension, and you're seriously in business.

I also checked out the Skyline at walmart today, and while it's a smaller pack I really like its fit and may get one to see if I can make it work for me.

Trisha
08-20-2010, 13:34
Currently Wal-Mart has the Outdoor Products Firefly external frame pack. It's marketed as "Trailhead Framepack 8.0" and has the same picture and specs, minus the hydration pocket and the built-in pack cover. I loaded one with 40 lbs of hand weights and walked around the store, no problem.
Cost is about the same as Campmor, but no with shipping costs and it's hands-on for checking the fit.
Has anyone had issues with the Firefly or Dragonfly external frames? Seems like they are heavy plastic with plastic clips to shift the shoulder straps, hip belt and pack. How would someone replace a clip if it broke?
I read that the Coleman Peak 1 is the same type of pack.
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/outdoor-products/firefly/review/13441/ (http://www.trailspace.com/gear/outdoor-products/firefly/review/13441/)

skinewmexico
08-20-2010, 14:10
WalMart has a line of synthetic baselayer clothing which, IMO, can't be beat for the price. I think I paid $12 for a long sleeve. And when you look at the tag, the fabric composition is virtually identical to the stuff used for UnderArmor (different by 1%). I use it all the time: hiking, biking, snowshoeing, etc.

+1. Underarmor is just silly compared to the Starter brand at Walmart, which is on sale for $5 all the time.

Danielsen
08-20-2010, 16:34
Walmart just added a new Outdoor products pack, the Skyline, which is surprisingly well-built and well-featured at 28 oz. and ~1800 cu. Probably not for everyone but it fit me like a glove and has all the features I want (and none I don't). At $30 I'm definitely going to pick one up when I get a chance. It's big enough for three-season backpacking duty for me, but seems like it'll compress and work for trail running as well.

Trisha
08-21-2010, 04:16
Not the cheapest, but I've worn the Cuddl Duds and Warm Essentials long underwear brands for years. They are great around the house and in bed when we turn down the thermostat in winter (I add a flannel shirt for modesty.) This summer I tried them as a dive skin in Florida -- excellent sun and warmth protection, no need for extra weights to offset a 3 mil wetsuit, dries faster, and better when walking to the beach fully suited up for a shore dive.
They retail under $25 at Sears and J.C. Penney, and are available online at Target and Kmart.

Trisha
08-21-2010, 04:41
And on the dirtbagging side, duct tape and an X-acto knife can turn a Wal-Mart blue foam pad into an accordion pad. Very easy to pack, deploys without rolling back up again, custom fit the size.
A wooden yardstick and a Sharpie pen keep the sections even, and I cut the duct tape into extra-long "tabs" that fold over to the back as hinges to keep the pad from pulling apart.

Danielsen
08-21-2010, 07:48
And on the dirtbagging side, duct tape and an X-acto knife can turn a Wal-Mart blue foam pad into an accordion pad. Very easy to pack, deploys without rolling back up again, custom fit the size.
A wooden yardstick and a Sharpie pen keep the sections even, and I cut the duct tape into extra-long "tabs" that fold over to the back as hinges to keep the pad from pulling apart.

Glad to hear that works, I've been thinking about doing that...