PDA

View Full Version : Kilts? What to wear...

ShelterLeopard
09-10-2009, 13:51
So, kilts or shorts? (In the warmer weather) What do you all wear? I used to get bad chaffing whenever I wore shorter shorts, let alone a skirt, but it would be nice to have the freedom of a skirt. So what do you all do? (The guys all seem to be very happy with kilts, and the women seem to like shorts- maybe the way our legs are built?)

Blissful
09-10-2009, 19:27
I saw several women out this year on the trail in a hiking skirt.

I picked one up for myself. But I have done fine in shorts from the convertible pants.

singing wind
09-10-2009, 23:56
Been hiking in a modified skirt - polyester fabric, dries quick and is very comfortable in hot weather. When it gets cooler I tend to wear a cutoff pair of dark colored nylons underneath for an extra bit of warmth and they are lighter to carry than thermals. Skirt found at local op-shop for $2 - would do it again! Shorts are better for butt hiking tho', esp. in places like Maine.

Good luck!

Doctari
09-11-2009, 08:25
So, kilts or shorts? (In the warmer weather) What do you all wear? I used to get bad chaffing whenever I wore shorter shorts, let alone a skirt, but it would be nice to have the freedom of a skirt. So what do you all do? (The guys all seem to be very happy with kilts, and the women seem to like shorts- maybe the way our legs are built?)

In part the difference between men & women "Chaffing" is the way we are built. Women generally have wider pelvises so have less chance for your legs rubbing together, and most guys have "extra bits" to take up more of the already limited space. Add a little heat & well, a ride in a hand basket comes to mind. :p SO, for guys, the added ventilation of a kilt helps keep stuff cool. Even when I only weighed 130 lbs (a L-O-N-G time ago!) I still had "issues" with my legs rubbing together. BUT, less heat, more fresh air, can't hurt. At least give it a try, see if you like it. Maybe carry a pair of your favorite shorts "In case".

Red Hat
09-11-2009, 12:08
I love my Mountain Hardware Kilt, it is longer than most hiking skirts. I used a skirt on part of my spring break hike and was told by a friend that I needed a longer skirt. So I got the kilt and love it.

sbhikes
09-13-2009, 20:12
I wear pants no matter how hot it is. To solve the convenience issue, I made a device out of a salad dressing bottle so I don't have to squat. I did wear a skirt once in a while over my pants, but that was just because mosquitoes were biting my knees.

Skidsteer
09-13-2009, 21:02
Men:

Stay out of this forum unless you have something useful and appropriate to contribute.

vonfrick
09-13-2009, 21:19
Men:

Stay out of this forum unless you have something useful and appropriate to contribute.

i swear i'm a girl....really....and i wear a skirt

LaurieAnn
09-15-2009, 11:36
I'd love to get a kilt for hiking and paddling trips... or maybe two. I wear fairly loose fitting shorts but a skirt would be nice. Any recommendations surrounding brand and style?

LaurieAnn
09-15-2009, 11:37
i swear i'm a girl....really....and i wear a skirt

I think for that... he should have to hike the AT in a pink skirt... and wear a bow in that lovely hair of his... pink.

warraghiyagey
09-15-2009, 11:43
I think for that... he should have to hike the AT in a pink skirt... and wear a bow in that lovely hair of his... pink.
I thought he did? :)

Family tartan for me, as a guy, haven't got one yet but I intend to by our next hike -
http://www.scotlandshop.net/images/swatches/m%20200x200/macmillan-old-mod-200.jpg

LaurieAnn
09-15-2009, 12:35
sorry - off topic question - but how does one find out what there family tartan is? I'm Scottish and that would be totally cool.

ShelterLeopard
09-15-2009, 12:38
Google clan tartan and you'll get sooo many good sites, most of which have pretty accurate information. I'm from clan Sinclair myslef.

warraghiyagey
sorry - off topic question - but how does one find out what there family tartan is? I'm Scottish and that would be totally cool.
Here's a start. . . just punch in the family name. . . . there's usually more than one tartan per family depending on the use. . .

warraghiyagey
http://www.tartans.scotland.net/

ShelterLeopard
09-15-2009, 12:40
This one has too much info, I think: http://www.tartans.scotland.net/

This one is very good- just enter your name (under "clan"- the search box in the middle of the page) and you get your tartan, your crest, meaning and historical details of your name/ clan: http://www.scotclans.com/

LaurieAnn
09-15-2009, 12:41
very cool! thanks. I also emailed my cousin in Ayrshire to ask him.

ShelterLeopard
09-15-2009, 12:41
Hey- warrgy and I had the same idea! Sorry, didn't realize you posted it first!

warraghiyagey
09-15-2009, 12:42
Hey- warrgy and I had the same idea! Sorry, didn't realize you posted it first!
:banana:banana:banana

Connie
09-23-2009, 18:52
Menzies, Hey, this might be fun.

Wear clan colors on the trail.

spindle
09-23-2009, 19:28
I wear mine, Clan Lindsay or Scott, from Sport Kilt. Poly fabric, lots of coverage. My favorite for warm weather.

They also have 3 tartans in a microfiber Hiking Kilt here:http://www.sportkilt.com/category/64/Hiking-Kilt.html

Kinda expensive, but worth it comfort-wise.

LaurieAnn
09-24-2009, 11:58
http://www.tartans.scotland.net/

Thanks. I had fun with it but I wasn't able to pull up anything for my Grandfather's side. I ended up emailing my cousin. Well it seems I am clan Lindsay if I follow Grandmother's lineage and on my Grandfather's side we've adopted the Spirit of Bannockburn. Apparently my Grandfather's family was of French descent — my ancestors came to Scotland with William the Conqueror. So... that was interesting.

Mr. Clean
09-25-2009, 05:54
sportkilt dot com has many different tartans now, and they are very comfortable. They are a bit pricey, but I also think they are worth it. Going to get one of my clan tartans, Maclaren, soon. They didn't have much of a selection when I got my current one, Black Stewart.

cavscout
09-25-2009, 09:02
www.usakilts.com will tailor make a kilt to your measurements for about the same price point as Sport Kilt. They are made of Poly/Viscose, essentially rayon, and will not wrinkle as easily as the poly cotton and will drip dry much faster. THey aslo have a teflon coating. Much better choice IMHO.

ShelterLeopard
09-27-2009, 23:49
I wear mine, Clan Lindsay or Scott, from Sport Kilt. Poly fabric, lots of coverage. My favorite for warm weather.

They also have 3 tartans in a microfiber Hiking Kilt here:http://www.sportkilt.com/category/64/Hiking-Kilt.html

Kinda expensive, but worth it comfort-wise.

Those actually look really great..... But I'm a bit afraid of ordering one now for my warm weather clothing, hiking two/three months and arriving at Harpers Ferry (where I'm switching in all warm weather gear, of which this kilt would be a part) and having my waist be a different size. (Because I'll be ordering this kilt now, as a somewhat out of shape person, and arriving in HF buffer than ever!)

Rhapsodist
10-25-2009, 19:22
I have friends that swear by skirts. Still, a lot of them like wearing bike shorts underneath anyway. I prefer full coverage and am thus a skort person, but it's all personal preference. don't go out and buy one if you're not sure. make one. cut up the inseam of your old bike shorts and sow them together(maybe with a little extra fabric in between) and see how you like it. Then maybe buy something with a little more wear and tear.

TinaLouise
10-30-2009, 19:19
I'm brand new here, noticed the kilt talk... my last hike I made my skirt, flaired A line with front pockets and a cord around the waist to sinch up. Worked fantasticly. Being able to pee standing up with a skirt on... priceless!! Then came the inner legs rubbing together problem on day 4, ouch!! I'm looking into things like hydropel & bodyglide, hope they work because as long as the weather is above freezing, I'd like to stay in a skirt. Oh, I also tried making a couple of kilts, one long, one just above the knee. I may try the longer one in cooler weather. Thanks for the tartan.scotland link, I found mine "McCall". I've been able to find this tartan but the price....whew, I still haven't recovered. And then you need a minimun of 5 yards....
TinaLouise

scooterdogma
10-31-2009, 07:52
I love these kilts, made in the USA, woman owned company, and has usable pockets. All the things I love :p

http://www.utilikilts.com

daylaandjasper
12-30-2009, 01:35
I hike in a stretchy poly knit skirt with spandex shorts underneath. Its right at knee length- I like to stretch the skirt over my knees while sitting at breaks.