PDA

View Full Version : Sizing down to a lower weight pack

Different Socks
09-10-2009, 19:05
For all my miles on the AT, PCT, CDT, CT, OHT, etc, etc, I have carried all my gear in an external frame pack that when empty weighs 7 pounds! I really do love the pack, but I use my scooter to get to the trailhead, and the big pack won't fit on the back of the scoot.
I work 2 jobs, so the only way I can do any hiking/backpacking is to leave after my 2nd job on a Friday night and ride to the trail. On some nights that are warm or have a full moon, I'd like to start hiking when I get to the trail head. But since the external is too large to fit on the scoot, I have to wait tiol morning to hike.
So here is my question: Does anyone have any recommendations on a mid-size pack(2-4 days) that would work for me? I prefer a pack with at least a few external pockets, it can be an external or internal frame and empty weighs only 4-5 pounds, but has the space for a bag/pad, some food, stove, clothing appropriate for the weather, etc, etc.

take-a-knee
09-10-2009, 19:50
ULA Catalyst or Circuit depending on your gear. 46 and 36 ounces, respectively. The only problem is the make of ULA packs is out hiking so production has ceased for several weeks.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/packoverview.asp

J5man
09-10-2009, 20:21
Golite Jam also a consideration

bigcranky
09-11-2009, 07:41
Depends on your other gear. If your total pack weight will be less than 30 pounds, any of the 2-3 pound internal frame packs will work well. There are plenty of them on the market: Opsrey Atmos 50, Osprey Exos 46, REI Flash UL 50, the ULA Packs listed above, Gregory Z-series packs, Granite Gear packs, etc. Seriously, there has been a revolution in packs, and we now have a wide selection of lightweight packs with real internal frame suspensions that weigh less than 3 pounds.

My personal fav is the Six Moon Designs Starlite, a 2-pound internal frame pack. I have owned far too many packs over the years, and this is still my favorite. If you get one, buy and use the optional aluminum stays.

I would recommend against a frameless rucksack like the Golite Jam. It's a great pack, no doubt, but it's a whole different style of packing and hiking. I can get about 22 pounds in any frameless ruck before it turns into an angry monkey on my back, and 20 is a better max. load. If you transition to very light gear, the Jam may be a better choice.

skinewmexico
09-11-2009, 10:28
ULA. If they offer stays as an option, get them.

royalusa
09-11-2009, 14:31
Thru-hiked the AT last year w/ Gossamer Gear Mariposa pack. Loved it. Despite how light of a pack it is, it is still in excellent shape and could make it another 2100 miles.
http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/pack_matrix.html

Other option is ULA that also makes excellent light weight but very durable packs.

Rambler
09-11-2009, 14:45
When I use my road bike to commute to trailheads, I put as much gear as possible in side bags (paniers) with my poles attached to the top of the rack behind me. Teh rest of the gear is in my backpack which I wear. I use a Jam, but I also have a ULA-Circuit which is a very nice pack.

Dogwood
09-11-2009, 17:46
Sounds like it's about time to reduce the wt. of your pack! There are scores of packs with the capacity(volume) to haul 2-4 days worth of gear and supplies that are half the weight, or more, of your current pack. You are a prime candidate for downsizing/down weighting your pack. Some of these packs have already been mentioned in previous posts so you can start your research there.