PDA

View Full Version : Wanna switch to a smaller pack

Different Socks
09-10-2009, 19:07
For all my miles on the AT, PCT, CDT, CT, OHT, etc, etc, I have carried all my gear in an external frame pack that when empty weighs 7 pounds! I really do love the pack, but I use my scooter to get to the trailhead, and the big pack won't fit on the back of the scoot.
I work 2 jobs, so the only way I can do any hiking/backpacking is to leave after my 2nd job on a Friday night and ride to the trail. On some nights that are warm or have a full moon, I'd like to start hiking when I get to the trail head. But since the external is too large to fit on the scoot, I have to wait tiol morning to hike.
So here is my question: Does anyone have any recommendations on a mid-size pack(2-4 days) that would work for me? I prefer a pack with at least a few external pockets, it can be an external or internal frame and empty weighs only 4-5 pounds, but has the space for a bag/pad, some food, stove, clothing appropriate for the weather, etc, etc.

Egads
09-10-2009, 19:19
I kinda like the Osprey Stratus 32 (discontinued but still available). If this is too small for you, take a look at the size 40.

jasonklass
09-13-2009, 10:48
Have you checked out ULA Packs (http://www.ula-equipment.com/)? The Catalyst sounds like it might fit the bill for you. It has 3 external pockets and 2 awesome hip belt pockets.

Doooglas
10-06-2009, 11:47
Take a look at Crossfire's DG2 Light Horse

Lyle
10-06-2009, 14:22
I'll second the ULA. You are precisely the hiker Brian designed his company for, those who are transitioning from conventional external frame packs and want to lighten their loads without loosing all of the durability that those bomb-proof packs afforded.

Excellent packs, and even better customer service. They are closed now until Dec. 1st. Don't worry, this is normal and they will be back.

take-a-knee
10-06-2009, 14:23
I'll second the ULA. You are precisely the hiker Brian designed his company for, those who are transitioning from conventional external frame packs and want to lighten their loads without loosing all of the durability that those bomb-proof packs afforded.

Excellent packs, and even better customer service. They are closed now until Dec. 1st. Don't worry, this is normal and they will be back.

I'll 3rd it. The Catalyst is THE pack. 46 ounces of perfection.

DAKS
10-06-2009, 14:25
gossamer gear?

skinewmexico
10-06-2009, 17:15
If you've already lightened up your bag and tent, the ULA Circuit would work better. My Catalyst is so giant, I wouldn't even think about using it for a 4 day trip.

Tuney
10-06-2009, 19:50
I have a ULA Circuit on order at 3,800 CU in. it will cut the weight of my old Dana Designs Bridger by more than 50%

Mags
10-06-2009, 20:03
Brian makes some great equipment, is a good guy and he uses the gear on his own long hikes.

You can't go wrong with ULA gear. For a traditional backpacker who wishes to lighten up, it is an excellent way to go. (My friend's fiance' started using an ULA pack. She now loves backpacking because the gear is comfortable and light. (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3234743&l=e17020ecdc&id=563440020) The ULA pack she uses is more like a "real" pack than a frameless rucksack, too.)

Wise Old Owl
10-06-2009, 22:38
After you make the switch the old pack is worth something to trail maintainers. It's used to carry tools and chain saws - do not throw it out post it for sale here.

Tuney
10-06-2009, 22:49
The GATC and the Kennesaw Mountain Trail Club have first dibs on the old pack. I first learned trail maintaining with the GATC and later founded the KMTC. I'm a certified crew leader and Directer Emeritus with the KMTC.

Hooch
10-06-2009, 22:59
Another thumbs up to ULA. I love mine and recommend their packs to most folks who ask my opinion. The Circuit would probably be a good choice for you. I have the Catalyst and will be using it next month on my section hike across MD. I'll be getting a Circuit as a Christmas gift to myself this year. :D

Doooglas
10-07-2009, 05:01
Don't sell the external. You'll be wanting it back soon enough.
Dick Kelty built his backpacks with a frame for a reason.:-?
They had rucksacks in the caveman days. Kelty " kicked it up a notch". Now all of these geniuses want to revert, since they think it's lighter.
I suppose it sort of is, since most " first world" critters are toting around 20 extra lbs. of Twinkie and BurgerQueen blubber:rolleyes: .

"OOOOOOOOOoo lookOMG OMG !!!. My backpack looks like the Recaro seat in Britneys Porche" :mad:

skinewmexico
10-07-2009, 10:51
I've got a couple of Jansport D5s in the garage, and a Kelty 50th Anniversary external (Outside magazine's "pinnacle of the external design") in the front closet. Haven't used any of them for 4 years. So why would I be wanting these externals back soon (besides carrying a chain saw for trail work)?

Mags
10-07-2009, 12:59
Externals are indeed awesome for heavy load carrying. Trail maintenance comes to mind, hunting, resupply at huts, etc.

However, while I do trail work, I live in multi-use Colorado where mules carry in the heavy equipment. Yeah..wussy. But, then again, I never claimed to be macho.

And, well, I have carried 10 lbs of pork loin, 5 lbs of spinach, 5 lbs of herb roasted veggies and wine to a backcountry ski hut with a Jam II.

And, while I have nothing against hunting, I like to hunt at a grocery store or mooch off my friends who are nice enough to give me elk meat from their hunting. ;)

Soooooooooo....not sure when I'll need the external. :D

88BlueGT
10-12-2009, 17:03
Another one here w a ULA pack and ABSOLUTELY no complaints here. I have a circuit and it packs very well, carrier very well, extremely light for what it is, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. no complaints comes highly recommended from me.

wheatus
10-19-2009, 01:31
i recommend that you go try out a bunch of different packs and find one that fits you the best. there are so many good packs out there, don't confine yourself to just those recommended

jrwiesz
10-19-2009, 02:52
Some of the early Kelty externals come in at just over 2 lbs.:-?

Just sayin'.:sun

nitewalker
10-19-2009, 07:44

yea, i put an order in for a conduit and they say not till the 1st of december. some people keep thinking nov 1st is the date they ship and thats the production date. i am kinda bummed because i wanted my new pack for my november excursion, oh well...sometimes great things take time......im going with ULA because of all the acolades that whiteblaze members are giving this company....:banana:D:banana:D:banana

skinewmexico
10-19-2009, 09:40
I thought they were shipping in November because they put this on their web page. But if you've ordered and they said December, that's probably right. No telling how many orders they got while they were shut down. From ULA -

Hello, we are excited to open earlier than planned from our annual fall closure!

Please note:

[1] Production has begun again and we are on schedule to start shipping the first week of November.

[2] All pending orders will be confirmed prior to shipping.

[3] Email us if you have any questions about an order.

Keep enjoying your fall hiking and backpacking! Thank you

Tuney
10-19-2009, 10:35
i recommend that you go try out a bunch of different packs and find one that fits you the best. there are so many good packs out there, don't confine yourself to just those recommended

I have done a good bit of shopping and trying on packs. My 12 year old Bridger is still very comfortable. I tried on the ULA Catalyst at Mountain Crossings this summer, but choose the Circuit because the bigger the pack I have, the more stuff I put into it.

I'm looking forward to receiving my new pack whenever it gets here.

bull
10-19-2009, 10:42
I recommend gossamer gear. Have the mariposa plus.
Mike