PDA

View Full Version : Recommend This Year's Good Trail Journals

drastic_quench
09-10-2009, 21:42
I'd like to know some interesting and/or well-written journals you all have been following (or found) for this year. Anything above and beyond weather and muscles aches is extremely welcome.

Personally, I enjoy journals that are insightful, reflective, and informative. I haven't followed any so far, and I'm hoping you've done my work for me in picking out the cream of the crop. Thanks.

tscoffey
09-10-2009, 22:55
This year I followed Wendy/Shimmy. Great posts,plus over 4000 pictures- although she had a tendency to take 4-5 photos of the same flower, chipmunk, mushroom, etc.

Also Wags and Gangsta (who hiked together).

Last year the hands down winner was Lady Cluck. A very,very gifted writer indeed. Also Jenx was great, if you enjoy curmudgeons - and he was the champ at curmudgeon.

Hoop Time
09-10-2009, 22:56
I followed Loon's journal, though I need to catch up since she just posted her stuff from the 100-mile wilderness, summiting and post-hike stuff all after finishing because her pocket mail subscription ran out right as she was nearing the end.

I did not read Wags and Gangsta, but am very familiar with them because they seemed to be around Loon a lot, at least later in her/their hikes.

Rosco
09-10-2009, 23:01
I followed the ones mentioned above, worth the read.

Slagline, (Ken) gets my vote.

60's, retired, widowed.

Tough ole bird.
Inspires me.
I'd like to buy him dinner someday.

Tom

onesocktwin
09-11-2009, 10:25
Bison - Mark Allen. Very well written and great pictures, very positive attitude. Started reading because my son's name is Mark Allan and because Bison started hiking on Mark Allan's birthday March 10. I've followed him all the way. Wish I could have been there!

Ratchet-SectionHiker
09-11-2009, 10:29
Tully has a very good trail journal. This is a young man who left his job at Duke University to hike the trail. He ended up staying with my wife and I for a week (found us through couchsurfing.com) after he injured his leg in bland. I have been keeping up with him ever since and he is now near the finish!