PDA

View Full Version : no hiking support

Not Sunshine
09-10-2009, 21:52
I am discouraged. I am a single female (a street-smart one at that) and I want to go on a solo section hike. I know section hiking is a little more risky than thru-hiking because of the lack of hiking community, but I know I am physically and emotionally capable of doing it.

The discouraging part is everyone is telling me I can't do it and I'll wind up murdered and it's SOOOOO frustrating.

I know other women have hiked solo before - and I'm NOT the only one - and where I live, I take the same risks daily walking around my neighborhood (only in broad daylight and armed with pepperspray).

Please I know I cannot be the first person to receive such negative feedback...I need some encouragement.

karoberts
09-10-2009, 22:39
I've done over 1000 miles solo. I just laugh when people tell me that I can't do it. I love proving them wrong. I know what kind of girl I am, and I am the kind of girl who can face her fears and conquer them!

Watch my video about my last section, I think it will give you confidence!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEwI91x0Yks

XCskiNYC
09-10-2009, 23:19
I am discouraged. I am a single female (a street-smart one at that) and I want to go on a solo section hike. I know section hiking is a little more risky than thru-hiking because of the lack of hiking community, but I know I am physically and emotionally capable of doing it.

The discouraging part is everyone is telling me I can't do it and I'll wind up murdered and it's SOOOOO frustrating.

I know other women have hiked solo before - and I'm NOT the only one - and where I live, I take the same risks daily walking around my neighborhood (only in broad daylight and armed with pepperspray).

Please I know I cannot be the first person to receive such negative feedback...I need some encouragement.

You can meet people section hiking. You'll probably run into people going your same direction. You'll start to see the same faces from shelter to shelter. Acquaintances spring up pretty quickly.

If I could offer one piece of advice it would be to feel no compulsion to answer anybody's questions.

In fact, let me expand on this slightly. Look out for yourself first. Focus first and foremost on your own priorities. If you have any worries about social acceptance, that's fine to indulge, but just make sure to keep this as your very last priority. There's nothing at all wrong with making a good impression, but your own safety and well being must always be your parmount consideration [I'm starting to sound like Polonius here:D].

People are worried that they will come across as unfriendly or impolite but there's no reason people need to know any more than you want to tell them.

Here's the standard personal safety spiel from the AT Conservancy:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4806121/k.34A9/Personal_Safety__Awareness_Tips_for_AT_Hikers.htm

This is a site created by an experienced female long distance solo hiker and her partner. It has a lot of information applicable to all hikers:

http://www.trailquest.net/BRindex.html

ShelterLeopard
09-10-2009, 23:46

I get that reaction from a lot of people- mostly people who've never hiked on the AT before. It is very safe, there are plenty of other hikers- I always wear a whistle around my neck, but that is the extent of my caution (and I'm careful around non-hikers and VERY careful about hitching. females really shouldn't hitch alone) Just don't worry about it- you'll be fine, and when you come back very much not dead (and in awesome shape) after your hikes, they'll be convinced. And section hiking isn't really riskier than thruing, unless you hike "out of season".

jesse
09-11-2009, 01:08
you did not say how old you are, but if you are over 18 you don't need anyone's permission or approval. there are risk. be careful and have fun.

Trailweaver
09-11-2009, 01:27
I've found that the more you try to convince people you're "safe" the more they dig in. You could take some of them with you for a day hike, show them that there are people around (other hikers, people who are safe), and that might work.

I just decided to tune those negative people out. How sad, very sad, to life your entire life being afraid to really live! I simply will not do it! I will not stay home and sit on my hands afraid to go out and enjoy doing what I do. And if I get hurt, well, that's part of the risk, but I'm willing to do that to balance out with some of the good things I carry back from a trip. You just have to get it in your mind that you are safe, and go on about your business.

Not Sunshine
09-11-2009, 06:28
I've done over 1000 miles solo. I just laugh when people tell me that I can't do it. I love proving them wrong. I know what kind of girl I am, and I am the kind of girl who can face her fears and conquer them!

I LOVED the clip! Thank you!!!!! Thank you everyone! :D

Marta
09-11-2009, 06:46

Nice video! Thanks!

Egads
09-11-2009, 07:01
Enjoyed the vid :D

aufgahoban
09-11-2009, 08:31
They just don't understand what you are wanting to do is all. Kind of like you can't understand why they say those things. Two totally different levels of thought. So you have to let that stuff roll off your shoulder. Follow your dreams and then brag upon return. :-) How far are you wanting to section hike?

modiyooch
09-11-2009, 08:54
The key word is "street smart". Don't start second guessing yourself.
I am in more danger in my town doing routine activities such as walking out of an office building at night after working, or street running. The commercial parking lots are becoming dangerous even in broad daylight.
Just nod your head and tell them you feel more comfortable on the trail and that you don't think someone will hike in 4+ miles to get you. It's easier for them to hang out at Walmart. Assure them that you will be cautious at the road crossings, shelters, and that you will not be posting on Whiteblaze the when, where and how. Tell them that the people that you meet on the trail are the best individuals that you will ever meet. enjoy

bumpass
09-11-2009, 13:17
You go girl! Just like you take precautions at home (aka pepperspray, martial arts or even a gun for some) be prepared/trained to act defensively if necesssary.

ShoelessWanderer
09-11-2009, 13:27
Go for it! Enjoy it! Screw the critics!

I've done tons of solo hikes starting at age 16 and can't say that I've ever had a major issue. You're not insane!

tiptoe
09-11-2009, 17:57
I've logged lots of AT miles hiking solo, and I've never felt snubbed by the thru-hiker community. Quite the opposite, in fact. Almost everyone has been friendly and helpful. As others have said, just use good judgment and you should be fine.

Museum Lady
09-11-2009, 18:15
Though I was with my husband when I hiked in 2001, I'd leave him with a buddy for 4 or 5 hours nearly every day and hike by myself - got to see way more wildlife, which was great! And spending a few quiet hours away from my husband, "Tent-N-Kent" - who LOVES!!! to talk - helped keep me sane.

Two years before, I stood in my mom's kitchen and told her we were thinking about hiking the Trail. Her response was "People get murdered out there!!" I then reminded her that there'd been a murder in front of my house on a Sunday evening in the middle of February just a few months prior. I heard the shot! And we lived in what was supposed to be a safe neighborhood - with two cops living on the same street at the time. My response was "If they're going to murder me they're going to have to be willing to hike a few miles first."

Be careful at road crossings and in town; pay attention to your gut; get to know your fellow hikers (both of the "thru" and "section" variety - it's likely you'll see both) - and you'll be fine!

johnnybgood
09-11-2009, 22:37
The recent high profile double murder near the AT is not helping solo female hikers like yourself fend off those that obsess with the negative.

Your best asset is that you by your own admission understand that danger is everywhere in our society but remain confident in yourself.

Do this hike regardless of the naysayers - albeit I suggest that you do plan on leaving an itinerary with someone close to you .

Being street savy is great but also using good judgement and the ability to "read" strangers you meet along the way can also eliminate bad situations.
The over whelming majority of those you will meet are just out enjoying nature and all there is to life and some surely will be in the same boat as you.
This can present itself as an opportunity at not only having a hiking partner but possibly a friend for life.

Happy Hiking !

Trailbender
09-12-2009, 08:28
Learn martial arts, and get a handgun carry permit if you are that worried.

Lilred
09-12-2009, 10:26
I'm a solo section hiker and the belief that you won't have the comraderie of the hiking community just isn't true. I've hiked outside the 'pack' many times, and you will still meet and hook up with many people. the only time I didn't have many on the trail was my Neel Gap to Deep Gap NC. and that was because it was November.

sbhikes
09-13-2009, 20:24
Last year I hiked half the PCT solo within the herd. I met lots of nice thru-hikers. This year I hiked the other half of the PCT solo way ahead of the herd by a month or two. Instead of thru-hikers I met lots of nice section hikers and I even actually hiked with people more this year than last. The amazing wonderful people you'll meet are a support system because of the trail not because of the distance they are traveling.

If you have any fears about solo hiking, this could be why the naysayers affect you so much. Just do it anyway. It'll be an amazing experience.

Chillfactor
10-22-2009, 19:53
I'm 57 and hiked from Harper's Ferry WV to Waynesboro VA. I never pitched a tent-only in my living room- and bought a one-way ticket from California. I had great time and was never scared. The first 10 days I did ask myself, "What were you thinking?"
At first I felt a little awkward because I would be old in comparison to most hikers, but when there were 2 ladies in their mid 70's I was truly inspired and knew I could manage. My confidence skyrocketed after I pitched my tent in the pouring rain on the 3rd day.
Don't worry, you'll be fine. Just make sure you've got all you need and don't take any extras. I found weight really does matter.
Go for it. There will be no worries after the first few days. Ignore the folks at home. I'm going back in April or May and I'll start from Georgia. I can't wait.

Trailweaver
10-22-2009, 22:02
I hike solo most of the time, so I hear that same tired refrain "You'll get killed out there!" etc.

I stop that by saying (and it's the truth) that there has been two kidnappings and one attempted kidnapping from our local mall in the past ten years. We live in a medium-sized town, and that is a pretty high number in my opinion. The last person I said that to just sat there with her mouth open after she realized I was right.

I've never really felt "threatened" on the AT, and if you just go about your business (hiking) then you should be just fine.

Philip
10-23-2009, 10:28
I'm a guy, but only 66", 140 lbs. I am in extremely good shape and have a baby face, so at age 37 I still get carded for beer on a regular basis and people that have never spoken to me mistake me for a teenager frequently. You would think I would make a great target for mischief compared to larger people, but I just don't perceive myself to be in any greater risk than the next person. I just couldn't imagine going through life being afraid of my own shadow and constantly brooding over "what if" scenarios.

I say live your life with gusto and don't worry about what might happen. Just use your head by avoiding situations you don't feel comfortable in and you will be fine. There may be a small element out there that would look at you as an easy target, but there is a much bigger element out there that may perceive the same about you, but feels compelled to be your protector.

Here's a good example:

A couple of years ago I was leaving a suburban Wal-Mart on my sportbike with a backpack full of groceries. Traffic was pretty heavy and there was a line of cars queued up waiting to exit the parking lot. As I was approaching the line of cars from the rear, a guy in a one-ton van pulled out of a parking row right in front of me. Since I am used to people on four wheels not seeing me on my bike, I didn't think anything of it and calmly veered wide and went around them. When I pulled up at the end of the line of cars exiting the parking lot, the guy in the van pulled up behind me and bumped my back tire with his van. This startled me, but wasn't a hard enough hit to knock me off the bike. I turned around in the saddle to see what was going on just in time to hear the guy scream, "You picked the wrong day to f*** with me!" He then got out of the van and ran toward me. Not really believing what was happening, I just sat there and waited for the guy to get to me. The next thing I knew I was sprawled on the ground, 450lb motorcycle crashed over on it's side. The guy had apparently ran up behind me and closed-fisted hit me in the back of the helmet.

Before I could even get up off of the ground, there were three other guys at a dead run across the parking lot coming to my aid. One guy tackled my attacker and threw him to the ground, and the other two picked me up off of the ground and made sure I was OK, and then picked my bike up for me before I even had time to get my helmet off. Several other people were on their phones calling the police. A woman jumped out of her car, told me she was an attorney, and insisted on waiting with me for the police to arrive.

I never even got the chance to speak with the guy or find out what the problem was before cops took him away, but it was obvious he was off his rocker and perceived my small size as an easy target.

However my point is that there were a lot of other people around that also saw that I was a small guy being attacked by a much bigger and deranged man, and didn't hesitate to come to my aid.

That little incident renewed my faith in humanity instantly. There are good people out there, and they far outweigh the bad. You'll be alright. I say go for it!

texascampgal
10-23-2009, 10:41

GREAT video!! I'm envious!

sbank03
11-19-2009, 21:24
great vid! thx!

Saffirre8
11-24-2009, 12:53

I am also a single female who likes to go hiking alone, I have never been told i can not do it, but sometimes it can be very intimidating to be a girl alone in the woods, not know how far away safety is. I just carry several big knifes and one is in reach at all times. Most of my friends are not hikers so therefore i am solo most of the time anyway. Just dont mind them and enjoy your hikes.

Saffirre8
11-24-2009, 12:58
Phillip ~ that was an awesome story!!!

Rockhound
11-24-2009, 13:25
O Where Are You Going?

"O where are you going?" said reader to rider,
"That valley is fatal where furnaces burn,
Yonder's the midden whose odours will madden,
That gap is the grave where the tall return."

"O do you imagine," said fearer to farer,
"That dusk will delay on your path to the pass,
Your diligent looking discover the lacking,
Your footsteps feel from granite to grass?"

"O what was that bird," said horror to hearer,
"Did you see that shape in the twisted trees?
Behind you swiftly the figure comes softly,
The spot on your skin is a shocking disease."

"Out of this house"---said rider to reader,
"Yours never will"---said farer to fearer
"They're looking for you"---said hearer to horror,
As he left them there, as he left them there.

Dancer
11-25-2009, 13:50
Just make the arrangements and go! Leave an agenda with someone and get out there! Who cares what people think?

ragincajun
04-24-2010, 15:51
for every one of us there must be 10 people that think your crazy for wanting to do this great rewards come from risk the hardest thing you can imagine doing is exactly whats going to make you a better person the THE BEST THINGS FOR YOU ARE THE LONGEST AND HARDEST TO DO......thats what she said lol

Tilly
04-24-2010, 20:15
You don't need to confer with anyone about your plans (I guess unless you're married.) You don't need anyone's permission. You don't need to consider what they think about it. You need to think about what you want to do, and how you're going to accomplish it. Imput from others is mostly not important, especially over age 18! It just doesn't matter. I know it's nice to talk to others about things, but sometimes it's better to concentrate and keep things to yourself.

You are on WB. There are plenty of people here if you have a question, comment, or concern. You can find supportive people here if you really need them. Good luck.

MapleLeaf
04-25-2010, 21:26
I'm trying to find a partner to thru-hike, but I'm preparing to hike it alone if need be. I'm a 22 y/old female and whenever I say that to people they start giving me hell. Leave an agenda with a family member and be safe. Listen to your gut, it'll never lie. Make sure you have enough food, keep warm and carry a wistle in case something goes. (I'm also carrying pepperspray, but thats more for my mother's comfort : p ) I trust myself and my gut. I also know that bad things happen everywhere.

Personally I'm more afraid of "civilized society" than the woods...

sbhikes
04-25-2010, 22:55
Personally I'm more afraid of "civilized society" than the woods...

That's so true.

When I was hiking the PCT I had a sort of rule that I didn't camp within 10 miles of a major road. I never saw anybody who wasn't also a long distance hiker beyond that 10 mile limit. Really, it wasn't even 10 miles. More like 5. Most really creepy people won't even go 1/2 mile from a car. It's so much safer in the wilderness than in town.

stranger
04-26-2010, 22:48
I'm not a female...but I've learned this 1000 times over in life.

When someone says "you can't", or "you shouldn't" it's actually not about you, but themselves. They can't, they shouldn't...but unfortunately, most people lack the life skills to understand that concept.

Female hiking alone? No worries, in fact, I've only met two types of long distance female hikers...those hiking with their significant other, or those hiking solo.

Go for it...everyone else is everyone else...not you!

The problem is not females hiking alone, the problem is men, yet you will never hear about a thread saying "Men should stop hurting women" - so is life unfortunately, but you probably already know that.

WHISTAND
04-27-2010, 18:35
Hello, Newbie here. I have been doing day hikes for a year now and have always worried my family. I am now going to try the AT, but not a through hike, just dont have the time. I just told my husband, surprisingly he didnt blow a gasket. I am 50 years old and have neuro/muscular/skeletal issues, but I AM HIKING THE AT SOLO!! YIPEE!!

ShoelessWanderer
04-28-2010, 13:45
That's so true.

When I was hiking the PCT I had a sort of rule that I didn't camp within 10 miles of a major road. I never saw anybody who wasn't also a long distance hiker beyond that 10 mile limit. Really, it wasn't even 10 miles. More like 5. Most really creepy people won't even go 1/2 mile from a car. It's so much safer in the wilderness than in town.

Good advice, I do the same thing! I have lots of women in my hiking group who don't understand how I feel safe hiking alone. I've explained to them that the crazy psycho guy who wants to hurt someone is looking for convience in their victims, they're not going to climb 5 miles up the side of the mountain to find someone.

Teeah3612
04-28-2010, 14:12
Loved all the post. My sister and I are planning a section hike in May this year. It will be our first on the AT. My husband also thinks I'm nuts, but after 24 years he is resigned to my occassional bit of insanity and accepts them as part of me. The rest of our family and friends have been supportive. We are counting the days till time to hit the trail!
I say if you can't find someone to join you, then go for it by yourself. I imagine you will meet all kinds of nice folks along the way.

GalHikingTheGap
04-29-2010, 22:53

Looooved your vid, Karo!

jamie-Lonewolf
05-13-2010, 14:05
I had the same issues with people trying to convince me that I could not hike solo. Even my own sister refused to help me saying that I would be killed on the trail. I just spent a month solo and loved about every minute of it. It was harder than I thought without companionship but I managed 250 miles of the AT before my return the civilization.

Never ever let someone tell you that you can not do something. You loose a piece of your heart every time, this I have learned the hard way. Just like the Nike commercial says, " Just do it!" It will be so satisfying for you. Yes things do happen but things can happen no matter where we are, car, shower, work, ect.

Live life like its your last day.

Jamie

S'mores
06-02-2010, 05:55
I just got back from 10 days solo. The guys all asked if I was bringing a gun.. .. uhh..no.
I was updating Facebook along the way and one of my friends said something about being safe and being able to protect myself. My response was "I have a big knife, and a little knife, two hiking poles.. and most of all, my brain."

earlyriser26
06-02-2010, 06:28
1) Don't take advice from non-hikers (they really don't know what they are talking about) 2) Is there some risk? Yes, but it is fairly small. 3) trust your gut instincts