PDA

View Full Version : water sources Damascus to Erwin

Passion Hiker 73
09-11-2009, 11:46
How has the water condition been between Damascus to Eriwin this year? I'm going to do a section hike starting on the Oct. 24 starting Damascus. Boy, last year was a little too dry for me and on top of that walk into bizzard condition near Roan. I was starting to think it was god's way of thinning us out that week.:D And I was the one being thinned.:D

Tennessee Viking
09-11-2009, 12:28
Its fairly wet than last couple years. There has been some rain in the region quite recent. You still have to climb down to the Vandaventer spring. The Turkeypen Gap spring on Iron Mtn is planned to be reworked. Pond Flats, from what I last heard, was ok but be prepared if not.

There might be some new trail around Watauga Lake south of the shelter.
And new trail on Little Hump and from the Barn up to Grassy Ridge.

Passion Hiker 73
09-11-2009, 22:52
Thanks for the update. I will probably be asking again before I head down. I know condition change from day to day. I was hoping things were a little better than last year.

toegem
09-14-2009, 02:24
Had no issues from Atkins to Damascus last week

tndrfoot
09-14-2009, 21:53
just hiked from hwy 421 to damascus sept 12-13 water is flowing but in that sec there is not alot of springs. good luck

Grits
09-14-2009, 22:27
Tennessee Viking where are they putting the trail on little hump and from the barn to Grassy Ridge?

Tennessee Viking
09-14-2009, 23:59
Tennessee Viking where are they putting the trail on little hump and from the barn to Grassy Ridge?
At Grassy Ridge going north, you will go past all those springs. Then immediately hit the relo. It takes you down a more gentle grade to the narrow ridge line. From there, there have been a number of switchbacks and steps made. Other places the trail is hill side down to Stan Murray. And right before the barn.

On little hump, the trail still goes to the summit overlooking Bradley Gap and Hump Mtn. But instead of dropping straight down, the the trail switchbacks into NC and down to a side hill grade and brings you out just at the campsite near Bradley Gap.

Grits
09-15-2009, 07:24
Thanks and thanks for the good trail work.