PDA

View Full Version : Hinged Knee Brace

SawnieRobertson
09-11-2009, 18:38
I know that we have had an MS patient, a blind man, and a man with one leg have the courage and determination to hike the entire Appalachian Trail in a single year. Have we though ever had anyone hike the entire Appalachian Trail in a single year who had to wear a big, black, heavy (2 pounds), hinged knee brace while hiking ALL of the time?

Just before giving me the third injection of Euflexxa, my new orthopod announced that I would have to do just that. I told him that was IMPOSSIBLE and that I wouldn't do it. He is a sports medicine, highly recommended orthopaedic surgeon. He told me that my x-rays tell him that's the only way I can do my hike.

I have lost almost all of my extra fat. I have exercised and exercised, doing the prescribed closed chain workouts. I was thinking that the time had finally arrived when I could again walk the forest trails for training. He nixed that too, saying that I must stick with ellipical machines and exercycles (or bicycles outdoors if I can get where that would make more sense than here on the road that runs in front of my house).

Please refer me to anyone who has had the same prognosis but has been able to hike without one of these contraptions anyhow.--Kinnickinic

Blissful
09-11-2009, 19:58
Get a second opinion. I went to another sports MD at UVA when the first told me I'd never be able to hike the way I want with my severe ankle injury. I did the trail in 2007 and I give credit to the sports and marathon runner MD who got me the treatment I needed (be sure the guy also DOES sports, esp the kind you do!)

SawnieRobertson
09-16-2009, 11:55
Okay, so no one knows of such a hiker. To say the least, I don't like this development. I am though trying to be philosophical about it, such as telling myself that I am fortunate that there are hinged braces available. Now I would ask if any of you have backpacked with a hinged knee brace? If so, was it a terrible experience, or was your brace not that terribly difficult to deal with? Please respond.--Kinnickinic

Kerosene
09-17-2009, 06:52
As you might remember, Kinnickinic, I was just fitted for an unloading brace. I think mine weighs in at just under two pounds. I did a little 6-mile day hike over the towering mountains of southeast Michigan (actually teenie little hills) and the brace was surprisingly comfortable. My biggest problems were the lycra sleeve (toasty, looks geeky, and it got covered with seed pods) and Strap #3 had started to dig into the back of my thigh at the 6-mile mark. I'm debating on whether to buy the neoprene sleeve to provide a little more cushioning.

I'll be going out for 10 miles or so with a pack later this month and I'll let you know how it goes. Regardless, it's very frustrating.

thecaptain
09-17-2009, 08:04
I wear such a brace while backpacking....I wore it on a 161 mile section hike last spring...only problems I had were to stoping and tighten up the many straps on the brace.....once the brace is on I barely know it is there other than I hit it ever now and than with my hiking poles...it does not hinder walking in any manner

Toolshed
09-17-2009, 10:27
I had the standard custom made brace after reconstructive knee surg in 94. Wore it for about 5-6 months on a number of short BP trips and ADK climbing trips. Worked great except I had to stretch my leg every night since it did limit the hyperflex range of motion. It also itched when it was sweaty and picked up. Its of weeds and such in tall grass

Kayakado
09-17-2009, 11:30
I have a Bledsoe thruster unloader brace and it came with a neoprene sleeve. The neoprene gets really hot and sweaty. I opted for a sleeve made of a knit wicking type fabric (can't remember what it is called) The orthotic doc got it for me. It does collect burrs and seeds, but it seems less hot. It does get damp and sweaty but not as bad as the neoprene. I carry an extra so I can swap them out and always wear a dry one.

SawnieRobertson
09-17-2009, 12:39
Thanks to each of you who have responded. The important thing seems to be to get something between the brace and your skin. Since I prefer (even in hot, humid weather) to wear long pants on the trail, I would naturally prefer to put it over the pants. When I do that, it quickly moves towards my ankle. I'm considering sewing strong tabs on my hiking pants to hold it in position but fear that next the pants will head for my ankle. Mine is a custom-fitted OAsys CartiCare.

I am wondering if this is a mind/emotions-over-brace situation or just a matter of figuring it out. This is an OA problem for me. The PA at my Christiansburg, Virginia, orthopod's office encouraged me to devote myself to building back my thunder thighs and to working out on an elliptical machine. She also gave me a script for Lovaza and encouraged me to take glucosamine chondroitin. My orthopaedic surgeon in Albuquerque said that would not help. My naturopathic physician in Boulder said to stay away from all processed food (even milk) because in doing so I would stop the relentless advancement of osteoarthritis. My Christiansburg doc said that was not true.

That's why I have come to you, the experts who have been out there with these flawed 2-lb. helpers. Thanks.--Kinnickinic

SawnieRobertson
09-17-2009, 12:40
As you might remember, Kinnickinic, I was just fitted for an unloading brace. I think mine weighs in at just under two pounds. I did a little 6-mile day hike over the towering mountains of southeast Michigan (actually teenie little hills) and the brace was surprisingly comfortable. My biggest problems were the lycra sleeve (toasty, looks geeky, and it got covered with seed pods) and Strap #3 had started to dig into the back of my thigh at the 6-mile mark. I'm debating on whether to buy the neoprene sleeve to provide a little more cushioning.

I'll be going out for 10 miles or so with a pack later this month and I'll let you know how it goes. Regardless, it's very frustrating.

Kerosene, thanks. A friends mentioned that perhaps moleskin as well as the sleeve would help.--Kinnickinic

Kerosene
09-17-2009, 14:20
...encouraged me to take glucosamine chondroitin. My orthopaedic surgeon in Albuquerque said that would not help. My on-line research seems to agree that chondroitin doesn't do anything, but that glucosamine sulfate might help some people. There seems to be general agreement that the sulfate variant is needed, and that it doesn't hurt to try it for 3-6 weeks to see if it helps.

My issue is that the knee feels pretty good most of the time, but I get swelling after active activity, which eventually can keep me from walking at all.

shelterbuilder
09-17-2009, 21:12
Thanks to each of you who have responded. The important thing seems to be to get something between the brace and your skin. Since I prefer (even in hot, humid weather) to wear long pants on the trail, I would naturally prefer to put it over the pants. When I do that, it quickly moves towards my ankle. I'm considering sewing strong tabs on my hiking pants to hold it in position but fear that next the pants will head for my ankle. Mine is a custom-fitted OAsys CartiCare.

I am wondering if this is a mind/emotions-over-brace situation or just a matter of figuring it out. This is an OA problem for me. The PA at my Christiansburg, Virginia, orthopod's office encouraged me to devote myself to building back my thunder thighs and to working out on an elliptical machine. She also gave me a script for Lovaza and encouraged me to take glucosamine chondroitin. My orthopaedic surgeon in Albuquerque said that would not help. My naturopathic physician in Boulder said to stay away from all processed food (even milk) because in doing so I would stop the relentless advancement of osteoarthritis. My Christiansburg doc said that was not true.

That's why I have come to you, the experts who have been out there with these flawed 2-lb. helpers. Thanks.--Kinnickinic

Well, I don't have the 2-pounder yet, but thanks to some nasty abuse to my knees in college (freshman year for one, sophomore year for the other), I need to wear the cho-pat type. I've had good results with glucosamine sulfate over the years - not so much with G. chondroitin. (G. sulfate is somewhat cheaper here in Pa.)

As for the "pants-traveling-south" problem - treat yourself to some suspenders!;) (the kind with the button, not the metal clip)

SawnieRobertson
09-18-2009, 11:23
Well, I don't have the 2-pounder yet, but thanks to some nasty abuse to my knees in college (freshman year for one, sophomore year for the other), I need to wear the cho-pat type. I've had good results with glucosamine sulfate over the years - not so much with G. chondroitin. (G. sulfate is somewhat cheaper here in Pa.)

As for the "pants-traveling-south" problem - treat yourself to some suspenders!;) (the kind with the button, not the metal clip)

Thanks for a good suggestion. They can be so colorful too! This whole thing is doing OUCH! to my feminine vanity, but, since they add color, they could also add fun, another requirement.--Kinnickinic

rangergirl
09-18-2009, 22:52
I have hiked with a hinged knee brace--did a 10 day backpack and it was fine. But the important thing was to have a stretchy liner--either cotton or wool blend. without this the neoprene would slip down my leg when I got sweaty. The brace actually helped me remember to take care of the knee. I've also done long--20 miler-- day hikes with a hinged brace. Main advice would be to be sure it fits as well as possible. The two I've used are off the shelf, but you can get ones specifically for your shape. Next year I plan to thru hike the PCT, not sure if I'll use a brace, probably will. I, too, have an OA issue. I have tried an unloading brace. The problem with those are: there is no such thing as a free lunch. Unloading in one area means extra loading in other areas. Not good. But, if it works, great. Also, glucosamine/chondroitin/msm. My regular doc as well as my orthopod recommend a combo of these 3. plus, Omega 3 which helps with inflammation. I am facing a total knee replacement in the next few years. I plan to wear my own knee out prior to that! Good luck. Don't fret, a knee brace is not all bad.

Kerosene
09-19-2009, 01:16
...the important thing was to have a stretchy liner--either cotton or wool blend. without this the neoprene would slip down my leg when I got sweaty.Looks like rangergirl has one of the neoprene hinged braces. I was prescribed a hinged brace that consists of just the hard fiberglass(?) material and straps. I was actually wondering if the neoprene sleeve in lieu of the lycra might provide more "grip" for the straps, at the expense of heat build-up (and stink) of course.

SawnieRobertson
09-20-2009, 10:40
I have hiked with a hinged knee brace--did a 10 day backpack and it was fine. But the important thing was to have a stretchy liner--either cotton or wool blend. without this the neoprene would slip down my leg when I got sweaty. The brace actually helped me remember to take care of the knee. I've also done long--20 miler-- day hikes with a hinged brace. Main advice would be to be sure it fits as well as possible. The two I've used are off the shelf, but you can get ones specifically for your shape. Next year I plan to thru hike the PCT, not sure if I'll use a brace, probably will. I, too, have an OA issue. I have tried an unloading brace. The problem with those are: there is no such thing as a free lunch. Unloading in one area means extra loading in other areas. Not good. But, if it works, great. Also, glucosamine/chondroitin/msm. My regular doc as well as my orthopod recommend a combo of these 3. plus, Omega 3 which helps with inflammation. I am facing a total knee replacement in the next few years. I plan to wear my own knee out prior to that! Good luck. Don't fret, a knee brace is not all bad.

Thank you, Ranger Girl, for the interesting post. Your post is very informative. I seem not to know enough to call this brace by the correct description--unloading rather than uploading. My blazing question is if you would mind giving us the brand names of your braces, especially the one which you were using for the 20-mile day.

For me, I know that it is a vanity issue as well. In my mind, I believe I look like a goalie with this thing on. Last night a childhood friend described the back brace that her granddaughter is having to wear post a cheerleading accident. I told her to ask her granddaughter to begin a campaign that convinces brace manufacturers that women want something light, colorful, and just generally more appealing to the eye. Well, that is just a minor issue, but over -30 weeks, well . . . . they might take that into consideration. Thanks again.--Kinnickinic

SawnieRobertson
09-20-2009, 10:47
Looks like rangergirl has one of the neoprene hinged braces. I was prescribed a hinged brace that consists of just the hard fiberglass(?) material and straps. I was actually wondering if the neoprene sleeve in lieu of the lycra might provide more "grip" for the straps, at the expense of heat build-up (and stink) of course.

Mine is like yours, Kerosene. Is it the same brand? My orthopod has suggested a different brand and has tried to set me up with its representative. I was too stunned to be ready for that when it was suggested but am now ready to begin listening to what that rep has to say.
He did send word (via the PA) that the one he sells is "only" 22 ounces.
Weight is a problem, but another is bulk as I'm sure you know. I have to walk splay-legged to avoid hitting the left knee with every step.--Kinnickinic

Toolshed
09-20-2009, 16:38
The one I had custom made was a "DonJoy" It did slip down over time (long days) but not too badly.