PDA

View Full Version : Free Strip Map Of AT

The Weasel
09-04-2002, 14:26
One of the lesser known "freebies" about the AT is a VERY cool "strip map" published by the National Park Service in their usual format for National Parks. It unfolds to be about 8-1/2" wide by 5' (yes, 5 FEET) long, and shows the trail from Georgia to Main, with surrounding states and major cities. This is a cool item to get for some general planning (mail drops, etc.) and to give to family/friends so they can plot where you are along the way. I am pretty sure you can get it by calling the AT Conference in Harper's Ferry, or the National Park Service in Washington. I'll root around and see if I can confirm where to get it.

"Well a promise made, is a debt unpaid, and the Trail has its own stern code." -- Robert Service

SGT Rock
09-10-2002, 21:33
Did you ever find out if that free map is still available?

The Weasel
09-11-2002, 09:35
Yes, I believe it is. Call the ATC for it. It is a publication of the National Park Service.

The Weasel

Don
09-24-2002, 09:09
I have one of the strip maps taped to the kitchen wall.. When my son, who is hiking the A.T. currently, checks in or sends postcards, I annotate the map with dates, events, mileage, side trips, and so forth. Its getting pretty full by now. When he's done I'm going to have it framed as a great visual record of his hike...

Peaks
10-05-2002, 19:31
I mounted the strip map on a 40" wide x 60" long piece of foam board. Then I mounted post cards from the trail all around it. Looks good!

walkerat99
10-05-2002, 20:33
Not sure if it is the same map, but I bought several from the ATC prior to my hike in 99. I just checked their site and they still have them for sale. If you can get it free, that is great, but if not free at least the cost is still not that much and it does go to the ATC. Here is the location if interested. http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=136&compid=1 Hope this helps someone, and I am anxious to see if they can be obtained free of charge or if it is a different map.

Ed

The Weasel
10-05-2002, 20:36
The strip map is a National Park Service publication, and can be obtained from the NPS for free, but it is folded and (can't find mine) may be two-sided. The ATC may have them also for free, and they can be found at a few locations along the trail itself. The "rolled" one is printed only on one side, and is wrinkle/fold free, and is available for purchase, I think, from the ATC.

The Weasel

Peaks
10-06-2002, 08:12
The strip map actually comes in 3 versions.

The "free" one is published by the Park Service. It is folded, with the map on one side, and text and other info about the trail on the reverse. If you have ever gone to a National Park, it's that type of a folder.

The ATC sells the strip map, usually rolled for a few dollars. Many outfitters also resell this strip map.

The ATC also sells a mounted version of the strip map for about $30.00.

The Weasel
10-06-2002, 10:18
A free copy of the mountable strip also comes with the Maptech CD-ROM set of AT topo maps and trail guides (highly recommended, will do a review soon).

Kerosene
10-06-2002, 11:15
I have the mounted version of the strip map on my office wall. It's a great conversation starter and people love to see where I've hiked. Of course, they may just be trying to schmooze me, but I don't need much of a reason to talk about the AT. Plus, as a lover of maps and a geography major, I love unusual projections like this.

Jack Tarlin
10-16-2002, 16:35
The ATC office in Harper's Ferry still carries the free map (the folded one), and will happily mail you a couple of them if you want. However, make sure and send a properly stamped, self-addressed envelope, and maybe even enclose a couple of extra bucks if you can. This is a superb group of people, who all do an incredible ammount of vital work for minimal pay, and the organization deserves all the suport we can give it. Along those lines, anyone truly interested in the Trail, or in supporting the Trail should JOIN the ATC as well, but I'll leave that up to the individual.

dje97001
01-22-2005, 09:43
I was just looking at a map online of part of the trail, and laughed out loud when I realized that thanks to the strip map (hanging on the wall for about a year now), I had begun to think of the trail as one that ran virtually south to north. Now it doesn't seem as exciting thinking about it as travelling in a north-easterly direction!!:rolleyes: