PDA

View Full Version : Prefered Headwear

attroll
10-20-2002, 20:07
When doing long extended hikes which headwear to you bring if any?

Kerosene
10-20-2002, 20:48
For cold weather hiking I also bring along a 2 oz. OR windstopper fleece skullcap, but I usually only wear this in camp and perhaps at night.

Hikerhead
10-20-2002, 21:17
I normally just wear a baseball cap. When it's cold I'll also bring a stocking cap and a fleece neck wrap/gaiter whatever it's called. It will also cover your ears, nose and mouth. I pulled it from my skiing bag and works great on the trail.

Peaks
10-21-2002, 07:43
Headwear selection is like everything else. It depends on the weather. But, at the very least, I'll carry a banana and use it when necessary. Otherwise, it's in my pocket.

EarlyRiser
10-21-2002, 09:59
usualy i have a bandana, and i always have a fleece cap with me, all the time no matter what the weather. i usualy only use it at night or in the early mornings when im getting ready. in the middle of july it still gets cold somtimes. especialy when it rains.

DebW
11-12-2002, 17:43
Originally posted by EarlyRiser
i always have a fleece cap with me, all the time no matter what the weather. i usualy only use it at night or in the early mornings when im getting ready. in the middle of july it still gets cold somtimes. especialy when it rains.

I heartily agree with EarlyRiser. I wouldn't even think of going on a day hike in July without a wool hat. Small weight for lots of heat-retention.

chris
11-13-2002, 08:50
Ditto. My warm hat goes everywhere with me when I am going to be outofdoors. I usually bring three pieces of headgear: Bandana, rain hat, warm hat.

Hammock Hanger
11-15-2002, 21:15
Ever see the buffs wore by the participants on Surviror. Well the AT store now sells an AT version of them. They are cool. Can be worn as a tube top or bathing suit top by the girls. As a neck gaiter, a do-rag, a bacvala (sp?), as well as others. If you check the Suvivor Web site they have a video that shows all the uses. I think they are way cool. Have ordered mine. HH

Jaybird
01-16-2004, 06:28
i usually take a ballcap on a day-hike or weekend hike...but usually always take my O.P Sombrero style hat when doing a week or two section of the A.T.

it keeps the head warm....& protects from rain on those SOGGY DAYS! ;)

see ya'll UP the trail in 2004!

MadAussieInLondon
01-16-2004, 07:08
i wear bandanas. i like an akubra (stockmans) hat as well.. i wont be taking the akubra on my AT attempt. i have a floppy small bring cnvas hat that protects my ears. i dont like baseball caps etc.

winter i have a thinsulate beanie (tradded in my wollen beanie).

otstroller
01-16-2004, 09:28
for ear and neck protection from the sun.

Tabasco
01-16-2004, 09:31
US Military Issue 6 color Desert Boonie Hat

Doctari
01-16-2004, 11:04
I wear a ball cap with a bandana sewn into it on the back, sort of an ear shield. I bought it from an oudor outfitter that was going OOB, I need a new one as this is wearing out, but cant find one, yet.

Doctari.

Moon Monster
01-16-2004, 13:02
Buffs are awesome. I wear one under a baseball cap (I shave my head, so I need something to wick the sweat off).

hungryhowie
01-16-2004, 13:23
I rarely (if ever) where a hat WHILE hiking. I gave up on ball caps long ago. For me, they're too hot, don't absorb enough sweat, and limit my field of view too much. If my eyes need to shade the sun, I use sun glasses. I did carry a rice-harvesting hat for over half of the AT, but it was only for decoration (didn't work as well as I'd hoped, so I strapped it to my pack and kept hiking). I ALWAYS carry a fleece hat of some kind. My personal favorite (for its sheer design and versitility) is Patagonia's Powerstrech Balaclava. Sadly, while the no longer use Powerstretch, they do still offer the design made out of stretch R1. Kind of the same...but not really.

-Howie

Streamweaver
01-16-2004, 13:54
I always wear Ball type caps ,except in the cold weather then I wear a wool watch cap or if its cold but not real cold I have a polyester watch cap that only weighs an ounce. I also always carry 2 bandannas in my kit because they have so many uses besides headgear. For hot weather I have a Duofold ball cap that is mostly nylon with poly Coolmax headband and mesh side panels in it ,and its great for hot weather hiking! Streamweaver

twilight
01-16-2004, 14:17
I always hike with a Tilley style hat. Mine is made of that oiled canvas material and is mesh around the top(band) of the hat. I like it for sun protection and for when hiking in the rain! ;)
And I also carry one of those fleece mask things. I rarely wear it when hiking but I love it when I'm in the sleeping bag at night!!! :jump

Twilight

U-BOLT
01-16-2004, 14:32
What's good to spray on a cotton ballcap to waterproof it, without messing the material up?

gravityman
01-16-2004, 16:06
We wear visors. Keeps your head cool let keeps the rain/sun out of your face. Its amazing how well it works in the rain. We got the REI brand that has a bill made out of plastic so it doesn't wilt on us.

Gravity Man

cabalot
01-25-2004, 02:58
if the poll was weather specific i would have said a fleece hat but for winter and no hat in warmer weather, just shades to keep the sun out of by eyes and sunblock to keep my fair skin from getting cancer, sunblock also helps me stay cooler. :-?

Zzzzdyd
01-25-2004, 10:46
What's good to spray on a cotton ballcap to waterproof it, without messing the material up?

First pick up a old cotton ball cap at your local Sally or Goodwill store, then try some of the Waterproofing spray from wally world. My local WW usually carries two different brands. I have tried both and now just get whichever one is the cheapest.

Spray your "I don't care if this gets screwed up" cap a light spray, wait a tad then one or two more sprays. If you like the results move on and spray your super duper cool hat.

On headgear. I always carry a mid-weight balaclava. Also Golite has came out with a super duper cool WR team cap that only weighs 2 oz's. I had to be the first on my block to get it... lol It is a good ballcap though. Eye catching yellow with black trim. Vents extreamly well.

oruoja
01-26-2004, 00:34
I use a military "boonie hat" which is a wide brimmed jungle hat where you can fold up the brim as desired. For whatever reason during buggy periods (especially deerflies) they will not fly underneath the brim, but just circle around which was pretty useful. The hat is also good to keep the sun off your face and neck in open areas. They run about $10.00 to 15.00 at surplus stores, much cheaper than the similar styles at other outfitters.

Patco
02-11-2004, 02:07
I may have the only pre-1981 PATCO ball cap on the AT or in existence, and I either wear it or have it strapped on my pack for when people ask about my trail name. Since I'm usually hiking with my dad I enlighten them about the connection. In 1981 while I was on strike against the US Gov't, breaking the law and all that, my dad bought this PATCO (Professional Air Traffic Controller's Organization) hat in Washington DC and he wore it in the Labor Day march. Long story short: He sent me the hat and Reagen sent me a 'pink slip' to wear with it.
:)

Cool/cold weather I do wear a knit watch cap and I have a polypro balaclava.

Kozmic Zian
02-11-2004, 14:34
When doing long extended hikes which headwear to you bring if any?

Head Gear? Depends on the weather, but I always wear a 'trademark' ball cap with a bandana near by....usually on the hand, but sometimes around the neck, face or head. Really cold....fleece skull cap or ear muffler. sometimes balaclava.

Red Hat
02-11-2004, 16:37
It really depends upon the weather as to which one I wear... wet, rainy - ball cap; hot, humid - bandana...

jojo0425
02-11-2004, 17:23
Bandana for the day and a fleece cap to sleep in or use if a chill does come 'round. I don't usually hike in really cold weather...so a bandana does me fine and keeps the hair outa the way.

Brushy Sage
02-12-2004, 10:38
I think it was 1999 when I saw a thru hiker coming up through Maryland wearing a nice felt hat, and I thought that looked very cool (stylish). So when I found a brown felt Country Gentleman hat, I decided to wear it for my thru hike bid in 2002. In the coldest weather, I sometimes wore it on top of some other head covering. In the rain, I pulled the hood of my Frog Toggs jacket up over the hat. I had leather strips stitched into the band, and used a slider on them to snug them up under my chin when a strong wind was blowing. The hat has developed "character," and I sometimes get into conversations about the trail when people notice the hat and ask about it.

peter_pan
02-17-2004, 19:28
ball cap, balaclava, and umbrella hat is my standard head gear. Rain jacket also has a hood and an empty clothing bag could be user as a rain hat. Although a bandana is carried it is seldom used as a hat. Yea i know the umbrella hat is fluff, but it works and leaves one closer to nature than a hood in bad weather and allows use of the hiking polls :D

Reverie
02-17-2004, 20:58
I wear either a heavy ballcap (nice leaf design from the Happy Hiker in Gatlinburg) or my trusty Tilley G4. The G4 is great at keeping my neck from getting too burned and especially good at protecting my every-enlarging baldspot on the back of my head. I have a Baclava for really cold days.

Smooth03
02-19-2004, 23:26
I rocked out the bright orange hunting cap. I was vindicated in the South where the hunters tended to shoot at objects that moved. More than once I was told "thought you was a hog. watch out there more boys with guns up there." Not trying to slight the south but that was the truth.

Allen66
03-26-2004, 17:37
Headwear selection is like everything else. It depends on the weather. But, at the very least, I'll carry a banana and use it when necessary. Otherwise, it's in my pocket.
:banana Is that a BANANA in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? :banana

Chip
03-26-2004, 19:25
I use cap and bandana. Depends how hot the day is. Cap in the morning and by the time the afternoon rolls around the cap is too hot so I wear the Bandana to keep that little shiny spot from getting sunburn.

Thanks,
Chip :D

peter_pan
10-27-2005, 07:41
Mesh style ball cap, balaclava ( even in summer), plus fleece beanie in winter, and ever present bandana.

Pan

fiddlehead
10-27-2005, 08:01
Balaclava ____

Singer
10-27-2005, 08:12
I usually take summer section hikes in New England. I wear an clay colored "Life is good" ball cap. It keeps my hair up off my neck (long girl hair), and works great for keeping rain out of my eyes and ticks out of my hair. One time I also sprayed it with permerithin. I escaped all those eye attacks from pesky gnats, but my husband was plagued with them! I wonder if "Life is good" makes a day-glo orange one.

NICKTHEGREEK
10-27-2005, 08:38
Straw fedora in the summer, Thinsulate or microfiber watch cap in the winter

V8
10-27-2005, 09:21
Well, learned the hard way - hiking in pouring rain, in summer, thinking "It's warm, don't need rain gear..." but my hair got very wet which then drips all over glasses.:mad: So, Seattle sombrero goes everywhere now.
Fuzzy hat of some kind for winter hiking.

Cookerhiker
10-27-2005, 09:38
...on the head unless it's below 40 and windy. Always bring a rag-wool hat in the pack for evenings and a rain hat to try to keep the glasses dry.

Seeker
10-27-2005, 11:07
military issue desert camo floppy hat (souvenier from a trip i won to africa in 1992/93). keeps the sun and rain out of my eyes, soft enough to fold under a rain jacket hood, firm enough to hold a mosquito headnet away from my face.

i also carry a knitted hat in winter, to sleep in... also good for putting feet into, if they're a little cool in the sleeping bag.

Mags
10-27-2005, 11:23
Bandanna - hot weather with shade

Boonie hat - hot weather with much sun exposure (also doubles as my rain hat), worn with bandanaa

Fleece Beenie - very rarely where while hiking (even in winter) as I get too hot, too quickly. But it is always in my pack for any hiking.