PDA

View Full Version : Hammock demos?

Hoop Time
09-11-2009, 22:29
Everything I read about hammocks makes me think I'd like to go that route. But before I go buying one, I'd like to try one. Not overnight or anything. Just would like to actually crawl into one and see if I like it. Are there outfitters that have demos hanging to check out? The closer to the Harrisburg, Pa area the better. But I already know I will likely have to travel to buy one unless I want to get an ENO at Wildware (and I am thinking Hennessey, though I am open to suggestions).

MikenSalem
09-11-2009, 23:15
hammockforums.net has tons of information and nice people. I'm sure there someone there who lives close enough to you that would let you hang or possibly let you go overnight with them and hang. That'd be the best scenario for you.
Hennessy makes the scout for people 5-10 or shorter then the rest of their line is greater than or less than 6' tall and by weight. Generally all hangers like all hammocks but they like theirs best. I can't imagine anyone goin back to ground willfully.

Just Jeff
09-12-2009, 07:03
REI carries the Hennessy line and has a no questions asked return policy. You can get one and just return it if you don't like it...that's what their policy is for. They usually only have a few models, though - the ultralight models of the Backpacker and Explorer, for example.

Or make your own...it's very easy. Here are instructions with pics.
http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

mudhead
09-12-2009, 08:39
Hoop Time might be like me.

I would like to watch someone get in and out, set up/break down, store a hammock etc.

Then I would like to get in one.

Nasty Dog Virus
09-12-2009, 09:28
Hoop...I have an ENO single and double that you could borrow for a week or two and play with if you like. Or if you like, I'll be in Middletown tomorrow watching football with my Dad, you could come by and try the hammocks there in the backyard.

I think REI Timonium might be the closest place to get a Hennessey and like Just Jeff said, you can't beat REI's return policy.

Red Hat
09-12-2009, 10:48
If you were over at www.hammockforums.net folks would recommend you come to the nearest group hang and see what everyone has. (I'm sure there's one in PA, but you'd have to check the forum to be sure when and where) My recommendation is the Warbonnet Blackbird (I started with HH and wish I had known about Warbonnet first). But it is made in America by order only. Details over at HF... check us out.

2Questions
09-12-2009, 19:35
Everything I read about hammocks makes me think I'd like to go that route. But before I go buying one, I'd like to try one. Not overnight or anything. Just would like to actually crawl into one and see if I like it. Are there outfitters that have demos hanging to check out? The closer to the Harrisburg, Pa area the better. But I already know I will likely have to travel to buy one unless I want to get an ENO at Wildware (and I am thinking Hennessey, though I am open to suggestions).

I live in Lititz, which I'm sure you know is only 1/2 hr away. I have my Hennessy with zipper mod hanging up in the side yard just about all the time. I could also show you a MacCat tarp, Speer Snugfit underquilt, JRB quilt, as well as various CCF pad systems. PM me to set something up if your interested.
There is also the Mahha hang coming up in November where you can try out every hammock known to man. There will be a carpool heading to Maryland for the hang, welcome to come along. I have an extra hammock setup for you if you like.

Deadeye
09-13-2009, 07:36
If you're ever in northwest VT, send me a PM. You can try a Hennesey or a Blackbird in my backyard.

peter_pan
09-14-2009, 21:07
I live in Lititz, which I'm sure you know is only 1/2 hr away. I have my Hennessy with zipper mod hanging up in the side yard just about all the time. I could also show you a MacCat tarp, Speer Snugfit underquilt, JRB quilt, as well as various CCF pad systems. PM me to set something up if your interested.
There is also the Mahha hang coming up in November where you can try out every hammock known to man. There will be a carpool heading to Maryland for the hang, welcome to come along. I have an extra hammock setup for you if you like.

Take up 2Q's offer.... It will have it all and great hangers too...Hope to see you there.:)

Pan

LyttleBryan
09-15-2009, 10:44
I know Trail Days always has representatives.

CowHead
09-15-2009, 14:02
Go to any trail activity and they have them hanging to try

Hoop Time
09-15-2009, 22:40
Go to any trail activity and they have them hanging to try

So perhaps I can check some out at The Gathering? (not poo-pooing any of the other very kind offers here, but I am planning on going there so that would be convenient)

WILLIAM HAYES
09-18-2009, 08:53
check out the Hennessy web site they have a video that demonstrates how to hang their hammock. I have been hammocking for trhe past 5 years and believe me you will get a better nights sleep
Hillbilly

Marta
09-18-2009, 16:18
So perhaps I can check some out at The Gathering? (not poo-pooing any of the other very kind offers here, but I am planning on going there so that would be convenient)

Ed Speer usually goes to The Gathering. I'll ask him this weekend if he's going to be there.

That won't help out with trying a Hennessey, of course...

attroll
09-18-2009, 17:01
If you can make it to the MT Rogers winter hang with the group from HammockForums then you will be able to check out all kinds of different hammocks. Check out this thread. www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10483 (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10483)