PDA

View Full Version : Local Non-Profit Youth Organization in Hampton Roads, VA?

ShoelessWanderer
09-12-2009, 09:47
So, I'm looking for a good non-profit organization in hampton roads who's primary purpose is to get kids out into nature. Whether that be camping, hiking, kayaking, rock climbing, whatever.

I know the scouts do that (and Outward Bound), but does anyone know of any other non-profit organization that does that?

Tuckahoe
09-12-2009, 18:30
I personally dont know of any organization in the local area other than the scouts. I actually did a websearch and really didnt come up with much. However, WHRO's website does have a listing of local non-profits and clubs, and again most of them look like they are for seniors.

FritztheCat
09-12-2009, 19:45
Boy scouts are the only one's I know of here. Even the girl scout troops don't go outside (much). I'll keep an eye out for you though.

Jack Tarlin
09-12-2009, 20:01
Check out the Armed Services YMCA of Hampton Roads which has all sorts of programs for young people. I bet they'd love to have knowledgeable volunteers, and if they don't have an outdoor program maybe you can start one.

ShoelessWanderer
09-13-2009, 19:54
Hadn't thought of the Y. And sadly it doesn't seem like Hampton Roads has a lot. If I had time to commit to it, I'd start one in a heart beat. Sadly I just don't have time to committ to doing it correctly.