PDA

View Full Version : Falling Waters Trail Question

hikergirl1120
09-12-2009, 20:01
I am headed up to do the Falling Waters/Bridal Path loop the first weekend in October.

The thought of including Garfield in on this trip has crossed my mind. I am not sure what it's like heading over there from lafayette....is it much harder than the walk from Lafayette over to Little Haystack?

Just wondering if it was feesable to work it into a day hike. I not a fast hiker but I definilty have some time to spare after I finish that loop.

thanks!!:sun

Tinker
09-12-2009, 21:43
It is harder. Garfield ridge trail has a few very rough spots. Garfield has nice views, but really is just a little bump to the south of the AT (about .1 mi, if I remember correctly). The Garfield ridge trail was wet and slippery when I did it about 25 years ago in October. One of the three in our group had just purchased some very heavy all leather hikers and had blisters. We actually set up my tent in a boggy area just off the trail, got sleeted on all night and the next day the rocky climb up to Garfield Shelter was coated in ice. Very interesting hiking without crampons.

hikergirl1120
09-13-2009, 11:50
Thanks!! I am going to make a "special" Garfield trip...that way I can finally stay at 13 falls.

Boy I can't wait for the foliage to start kicking in!

Egads
09-13-2009, 12:07
Looks like a great trail
http://adventures-in-the-outdoors.blogspot.com/2008/08/falling-watersbridal-path-loop-over.html

hikergirl1120
09-13-2009, 12:40
Oh it is!!! I love it!!!!

hikergirl1120
09-13-2009, 15:02
Ok another question....is there a fee at the 13 falls tentsite...i know you have to pay for parking at licoln woods but not sure about the actualy tentsite.

has anyone been there?

Peaks
09-14-2009, 08:12
Ok another question....is there a fee at the 13 falls tentsite...i know you have to pay for parking at licoln woods but not sure about the actualy tentsite.

has anyone been there?

13 Falls campsite has a caretaker, and the fee is $8.00/person. There are also several good bootleg campsites nearby, just outside the forest protection zone.

peakbagger
09-14-2009, 08:23
Some years if AMC runs low on people to staff their system, the backcountry sites are the first ones to have the staff pulled. It varies from year to year, but you may not have nayone to pay at 13 falls, then again you may.

hikergirl1120
09-14-2009, 09:27
Ok thank you again! I just wanted to have the cash with me if I needed it.

I can't wait to get out there!!