PDA

View Full Version : Any females want to start, late Feb, 2010?

ShelterLeopard
09-12-2009, 23:34
Hey- So I'm a solo female thru hiker (age 19), and I was just wondering if any other females want to start the trail together. (I don't care what your age is) Just for the first couple weeks, because I think I'm really a solo hiker at heart, but I also think I could use some moral support for the first week or two. (The first week is the hardest, after all) And we don't have to hike side by side, just meet up at breaks and at night. I'm staying at The Hiker Hostel on February 22, and heading to Springer on the 23rd. So, anyone want to join me?

(And I figured I'd get a couple days head start on the March 1st crowd, so as not to start with too many people)

ShelterLeopard
09-13-2009, 10:22

Corrigan
09-14-2009, 16:41
I'm not a female but I'll be there around the same time.....Feb 18-22ish. Have you decided on what cold weather layers you're bringing? I can't seem to find a decent weight with what I want to bring(and probably won't till the night prior to leaving haha)......

ShelterLeopard
09-15-2009, 12:03
I'm having the same problem! I've only just figured out which cold weather sleeping bag I'll get (Mountain Hardwear 15 degree phantom, I think), and I think I'll get a down puff jacket, because they're light, warm, and half the thru hikers I've met swear by down puff jackets. But apart from that, I'm still figuring it out.

I've been for plenty of long hikes, but only during the summer. I've only ever hiked in colder weather in October (it was unseasonally cold), and it was a really short trip- only one night. I'm considering just going to my favorite hiker/gear shop and telling them to just pick out my clothing for me. (Of course, my bank account will be painfully dry after that, I'm sure)

I figure (so far) puff jacket, thick socks, and tights (or tight stretchy pants, anyway), and beyond that, I'm not sure. I used to carry a really thick wool sweater (which was really warm) but it is really bulky and a bit heavy. ARGH!!!

ShelterLeopard
09-15-2009, 12:05
And I was going to leave more like February 15, but I have to work until February 18th or 20th, so I opted for the 23rd. Are you hiking with anyone? (I'm looking for a female hiker to start out with just to put the fears of my mother and grandmother to rest- they are a little nervous about my going solo, so I compromised and said I'd hike with someone for the first two weeks or so to get into the hang of it all.)

Corrigan
09-15-2009, 16:19
I'm going solo. Was supposed to thru hike entirely but I need to be back for work now. So I'm going to get as far as I can get before June 1, then Sobo the rest in the fall. I just got a new bag, North Face Cat's Meow....great bag, super warm, but I feel trapped in it. Still undecided on whether or not to keep it...... also will have my new Osprey Exos 58. Pretty pumped about the pack, probably the most comfortable bag I've ever carried....

BrianLe
09-16-2009, 12:10
Sorry for the thread drift, but on the topic of cold weather layers, I'm thinking of a Feb 25th start, and plan to use a 20F Western Mountaineering down bag, with a tent that provides no warmth but a very light bivy sack (which should). Clothing to wear inside the bag to augment for me will be Integral Designs Hot Socks, Backpackinglight.com Cocoon pants, and a Montbell Thermawrap jacket, and two warm hats layered. I like to layer the hats for flexibility in staying warm-but-not-too-warm. Inner "hat" is a thin balaclava which can cover my nose (nose can get painfully cold when temps drop), and outer hat is a peruvian style synthetic.

If it's too cold for that combination, I'll likely want to get off trail and wait out whatever conditions are making it so ...

In terms of going solo, I think the first time on a long hike feels that way to everyone, and perhaps especially so for young females. After I finished the PCT last year one of my daughters expressed interest in doing it, and my reaction was quite different from what it would have been before --- having experienced what the on-trail community is like, I no longer had the "OMG, my daughter hiking alone" reaction.

I'm not saying that starting with someone is necessarily a bad idea (if for no other reason than to reassure friends and relatives back home), so long as it's understood from the start to be a "loose" association that either/all of you can break at any time with no hard feelings. The best trail partnerships form on the trail.

ShelterLeopard
09-16-2009, 12:31
I'm going solo. Was supposed to thru hike entirely but I need to be back for work now. So I'm going to get as far as I can get before June 1, then Sobo the rest in the fall. I just got a new bag, North Face Cat's Meow....great bag, super warm, but I feel trapped in it. Still undecided on whether or not to keep it...... also will have my new Osprey Exos 58. Pretty pumped about the pack, probably the most comfortable bag I've ever carried....

I was looking at the Exos 58 too! In Harpers Ferry I'm making a COMPLETE switch out of gear- my family is coming to meet me there, and they'll stay in HF with me for a couple days, so they can take my cold weather gear home and bring my warmer stuff, and I think I'll switch out my Jansport Klamath 72 for the Osprey Exos 58 (the 46 seemed too small) because I'll have less gear and need something awesome like the Exos. I'm actually switching out almost everything in HF- sleeping bag, clothing, pack (probably).

(I tried on a friend's osprey exos and it pretty much sold me)

ShelterLeopard
09-16-2009, 12:32
Sorry for the thread drift, but on the topic of cold weather layers, I'm thinking of a Feb 25th start, and plan to use a 20F Western Mountaineering down bag, with a tent that provides no warmth but a very light bivy sack (which should). Clothing to wear inside the bag to augment for me will be Integral Designs Hot Socks, Backpackinglight.com Cocoon pants, and a Montbell Thermawrap jacket, and two warm hats layered. I like to layer the hats for flexibility in staying warm-but-not-too-warm. Inner "hat" is a thin balaclava which can cover my nose (nose can get painfully cold when temps drop), and outer hat is a peruvian style synthetic.

If it's too cold for that combination, I'll likely want to get off trail and wait out whatever conditions are making it so ...

In terms of going solo, I think the first time on a long hike feels that way to everyone, and perhaps especially so for young females. After I finished the PCT last year one of my daughters expressed interest in doing it, and my reaction was quite different from what it would have been before --- having experienced what the on-trail community is like, I no longer had the "OMG, my daughter hiking alone" reaction.

I'm not saying that starting with someone is necessarily a bad idea (if for no other reason than to reassure friends and relatives back home), so long as it's understood from the start to be a "loose" association that either/all of you can break at any time with no hard feelings. The best trail partnerships form on the trail.

And Brian- I am looking at the Montbell Therma wrap too- do you already have it? Is it comfortable and warm enough? And I love solo hiking, but everyone I know doesn't really hike, so they are all nervous. And the two reasons I thought of doing the first week or two with someone are to keep my family satisfied, and it might be good to have some moral support for the first week.

Blissful
09-16-2009, 13:59
Starting in Feb your gonna be cold with 20-25 degree bags (I had a 15 degree). Make sure you at least bring a liner.

Have fun planning, it's a great time... :)

ShelterLeopard
09-16-2009, 21:50
I'm gettin the 15 degree phantom for Feb. and the 30 degree Phantom for May and on.

BrianLe
09-16-2009, 23:38
"And Brian- I am looking at the Montbell Therma wrap too- do you already have it? Is it comfortable and warm enough?"

Yes to all of the above, with the huge caveat that what's warm enough for one person isn't for another. For the weight, however, my ~2-3 year old Thermawrap jacket is a great piece of kit. Note that sizes tend to run a little small; in thru-hiking condition size medium fits me fine, it's a bit more snug when I'm in city-fat condition (like now), but still fits. In general, I'd suggest sizing it up from "normal", however.

For 3-season hiking the Thermawrap jacket is all I use, but I don't tend to hang around in camp (toasting marshmellows or whatever) --- if it's on the colder side in spring or fall, I crawl into the sleeping bag.

I guess another data point is that I never try to hike in the Thermawrap, even for a short time, or at least it would have to be bloody cold before I'd try. But I tend to "run hot", YMMV a lot.

But don't rely on just my comments, it's easy to find reviews online, such as at http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Jackets/MontBell%20U.L.%20Thermawrap%20Jacket/

ShelterLeopard
09-17-2009, 12:07
"And Brian- I am looking at the Montbell Therma wrap too- do you already have it? Is it comfortable and warm enough?"

Yes to all of the above, with the huge caveat that what's warm enough for one person isn't for another. For the weight, however, my ~2-3 year old Thermawrap jacket is a great piece of kit. Note that sizes tend to run a little small; in thru-hiking condition size medium fits me fine, it's a bit more snug when I'm in city-fat condition (like now), but still fits. In general, I'd suggest sizing it up from "normal", however.

For 3-season hiking the Thermawrap jacket is all I use, but I don't tend to hang around in camp (toasting marshmellows or whatever) --- if it's on the colder side in spring or fall, I crawl into the sleeping bag.

I guess another data point is that I never try to hike in the Thermawrap, even for a short time, or at least it would have to be bloody cold before I'd try. But I tend to "run hot", YMMV a lot.

But don't rely on just my comments, it's easy to find reviews online, such as at http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Clothing/Jackets/MontBell%20U.L.%20Thermawrap%20Jacket/

I'll be starting in February- do you think it'll be warm enough? (I can always add a layer or two, of course)

Disney
09-17-2009, 12:13
I took my little sister hiking in February when she was about 20. It was in Tennessee, so it was similar terrain. She had a 5 degree bag, with a liner, and was cold.

If you're set on taking a 25 degree bag in February, here's a little tip.

Boil water before bed, pour into a Nalgene bottle, push Nalgene down into the bottom of your sleeping bag. It will keep your feet warm. If you want, you can throw in some tea bags and have strong tea in the morning that's been seeping while you've been sleeping.

ShelterLeopard
09-17-2009, 12:24
Thanks Disney (I'm taking a 15 degree), and before I thought I wouldn't need a liner....hmmmm, maybe I'll have to rethink that.

Disney
09-17-2009, 12:26
Pick up the liner. They're not that expensive, they're light weight, compact, and you'll be glad you did. They're also easy to clean (much easier than a sleeping bag) if that sort of thing appeals to you.

ShelterLeopard
09-17-2009, 12:31
Yeah, it does- thanks. I'll pick one up this weekend.

BrianLe
09-17-2009, 13:24
"I'll be starting in February- do you think it'll be warm enough? (I can always add a layer or two, of course)"

I'm starting in (late) February too, and using the Thermawrap as my only torso warmth layer, but again --- people and their metabolisms and sense of what's "warm enough" can vary a lot. Adding a layer or two is in fact something I cannot do on the trail; I don't have another layer or two to add. If I'm too cold in the thermawrap then I'll just be fast and efficient at camp chores and if it's evening then climb into the sleeping bag, if morning then start hiking and let body heat work its magic.
Picking the right mix and amount of clothing and other gear is definitely intertwined with the way in which it's used, your backpacking "style" if you will.

I've often heard of the boil water and put in nalgene trick, no doubt it's nice; a nalgene is IMO too heavy a water bottle. The trick that I prefer is to do jumping jacks or (if already in the bag) sit-ups to generate some body heat.

A bag liner is one of those (many) things that opinions differ on, to include how much it keeps you warmer. I'll start on the trail with a bag liner because I'll be borrowing my wife's 20 degree bag --- about the only times I want a 20F bag are times that she doesn't want to be out backpacking, so this seems to work well for us. For the most part I'm not a huge fan of liners unless walking in areas where I tend to get particularly dirty/muddy (I sleep with my hiking clothes on). I don't think they keep you all that much warmer; my bag liner weighs 4.6 oz; for just over twice that weight I can go from a 32F bag to a 20F (down) bag, a difference that's hugely better than the paltry gain from a silk bag liner.

I'm not saying these things to talk you out of starting with a liner; you can always mail it home if it drives you nuts (some people don't like wrestling with it, feel tangled up, etc, for others the silk liner just clings to them and turns when they do).

Corrigan
09-17-2009, 18:05
Good info all, thanks....I'm a liner fan as well, they're light, cheap and work well...... I'm heading out to do a 30 mile loop next weekend in Pisgah, should be nice weather! I'm psyched=)

ShelterLeopard
09-17-2009, 22:34
Now this has all been really interesting and informative, but back to the original thread, do any females want to start out together? (I don't care how long- the first two days, first two weeks, whatever!) Mainly doing it to make my family feel more secure- they really want me to start out with someone. (And I think moral support for the first and hardest days is never a bad thing)

jhnewlin
09-18-2009, 01:49
Hey Shelter Leopard,

My Roomate and I (both Female) are hitting the trail in late February too (after a visit with some friends in New Orleans for Mardi Gras!) Anyway, we were looking to start Feb 18th-ish, but it wasn't set in stone.

We're relatively novice hikers, so i wouldn't expect a "motivational" pace, but it would be nice to have someone to keep up with and hang out with for the first week or two!

Keep me posted!

ShelterLeopard
09-22-2009, 14:13
That'd be great- I'm leaving New Jersey on Amtrak on February 21 (overnight sleeper train), arriving in Gainesville, GA February 22, staying the night at The Hiker Hostel, and hitting the trail on February 23. If you want to join me then, that would be awesome! (If that's too late for you, I could start out maybe two or three days earlier) And I know what I'm doing, but I'm not in fantastic shape, so I won't be moving to fast in the beginning either. I like to start out pretty slow. So if that sounds good to you, that would be great!

apsterbobed
09-29-2009, 20:46
My girlfriend and I should be starting on the 21, it looks like there is going to be many people starting around that time. I was wondering how many people would be starting that early.

bigcranky
09-29-2009, 22:22
Speaking about the Thermawrap jacket,

I'll be starting in February- do you think it'll be warm enough? (I can always add a layer or two, of course)

No, it won't. You can expect low temps in the single digits on at least a few nights that time of year at the highest elevations. I would be prepared for some very cold nights through mid-April, anyway. The Thermawrap Jacket is a very nice jacket, but it doesn't have anywhere near the loft to keep an average hiker warm sitting around camp much below freezing. (And my poor wife would freeze in it below 50. But then she's always cold.)

My personal opinion is that something like the Montbell Alpine Light jacket would be a better choice. The hooded Parka version is even better. Not as light as the Thermawrap, but you'll appreciate it. Even that isn't enough for extended very cold conditions.

The 15-degree bag is a decent choice, maybe the bare minimum for an early start. You'll want warm dry clothes to sleep in, and a warm puffy jacket to layer over your torso on the coldest nights. I always carry a warmer hat and gloves for camp use and sleeping, too.

Two pieces of good news:

1. You have all winter to fine tune your system. You can car camp or sleep in the yard in the coldest possible weather -- it'll help a lot. Even better, go for a walk with all your gear -- a couple of overnight hikes will fine tune your system. Be safe and stay close enough to bail if you get too cold.

2. At the 30 mile mark in Georgia, you'll come to a great outfitter. If you are too cold, they'll help fix that.

Somebody back in this thread mentioned going to an outfitter and just asking for all the right clothes. This is a good idea ONLY if that outfitter is has experience with AT hikers. If there is any way you can go to Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap for a day, that's the place to go.

I wrote my thoughts on cold weather layering in a post here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=487795&postcount=16).

Happy trails.

ShelterLeopard
09-29-2009, 22:33
I know! I am definitely grateful for the Walasi-Yi , even having never been there. And I went ahead and got a warmer down jacket (warmer than the therma-wrap) AND a fleece to go under it, and some nice long underwear.

And apster, I was wonering too- somehow I thought I would be one of two or three people starting around Febraury 20, but it sounds like a lot of people are starting then.

BrianLe
09-30-2009, 00:08
"The Thermawrap Jacket is a very nice jacket, but it doesn't have anywhere near the loft to keep an average hiker warm sitting around camp much below freezing."

To be clear, the following is not intended to be argumentative (!), so much as just sharing different points of view. That said ...

I too plan to start in late Feb and current plan is to bring a thermawrap jacket plus --- now I've been convinced --- to add a size-larger thermawrap vest I can layer over that. The key phrase for me in the above quote is "sitting around camp". When it's particularly cold, or buggy, or rainy, I'm disinclined to sit around camp, unless that sitting is done more than partway inside my sleeping bag and in whatever shelter I use (though I also don't use a double-wall tent, so no warmth bonus there).

I.e., it's in part a "style" thing. When conditions are unpleasant for whatever reason, be efficient/quick at camp chores and then crawl into shelter plus sleeping bag if temps suggest that. A 20 degree down bag outside of cocoon pants and two thermawrap layers at my core will hopefully be sufficient to at least be safe if not indeed warm enough given my personal metabolism.

Related is what sort of physical condition I start the trail in. Days are shorter in late Winter, so if I'm in decent starting shape it should be easier to hike until declining daylight suggests it's time to stop, eat, and sleep. Otherwise, indeed, there's more "sitting around camp" time!

And certainly if it's clear that I've been too aggressive, I can opt for something different at Neels Gap. But I really like the flexibility of being able to layer lighter synthetic warmth layer options to wear inside my down bag --- and possibly even to wear one of them when walking if it's really really cold during the day. So hopefully this will work out okay.

Again, no argument intended, just a different point of view.

bigcranky
09-30-2009, 07:36
Hi, Brian,

I won't take that as argumentative. Everyone is different. Adding the vest over the Thermawrap jacket will more than double the loft (b/c of trapped air between the layers,) so you should be fine. The coldest nights might be a little chilly, but it's not going to be a disaster.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is hiking experience. A lot of hikers start the AT with little or no extended hiking experience. They have heavy packs, sore feet, the trail is harder than they expected, it's cold, etc., and so they end up doing fairly short mileage days. Camp chores take a long time -- many hours, in some cases, for things that would take an experienced hiker 30 minutes. Having met a lot of these hikers, I tend to be fairly conservative in my advice.

For example, on a very cold morning an experienced hiker can be up, out of the bag, and walking in 20-30 minutes. Breakfast is eaten while walking to stay warm. This past March we met an older hiker who took four hours to hit the trail after waking up. It took that long for him to get water, make breakfast, and break camp at the Hawk Mountain Shelter. So when somebody asks about clothing for a late February start, I'm thinking more about that guy than about a PCT thru-hike veteran.

So it's a tough balance between having a light pack (which is important), and having enough clothing to survive (which is also important.) The point of balance will be different for each hiker -- in some cases, *very* different based on physical condition, experience levels, etc.

The good news is that it only takes a couple of weeks for the inexperienced hikers to get their acts together. But they can be some hard weeks, as the dropout rate attests.

Happy trails, amigo.

--Ken

apsterbobed
09-30-2009, 20:19
you all have me worried now that we are not going to be warm enough. I didn't plan on bringing a jacket, all i was going to bring was my rain shell and a fleece or two, plus thermals. we don't do much camping in the winter and have never been out for more than 2 nights in colder temps.

bigcranky
09-30-2009, 21:23
you all have me worried now that we are not going to be warm enough. I didn't plan on bringing a jacket, all i was going to bring was my rain shell and a fleece or two, plus thermals. we don't do much camping in the winter and have never been out for more than 2 nights in colder temps.

A fleece is an insulating layer, same as a down or synthetic jacket. Used over a base layer (thermals) and under a rain shell, it provides a fair amount of warmth. With a 200-weight fleece (medium weight) under a rain shell, I'm good sitting around camp down into the high 30s, maybe. (Assuming I have a good hat and gloves, and my feet are warm.)

If you are thru-hiking, starting in Georgia, whether you will be cold depends on your start date. Starting in late February, I would be very cold with just a fleece and a rain shell. Starting in mid-April it would probably be fine.

As I mentioned above, you have all winter to find tune your winter clothing list.

cowboy nichols
10-01-2009, 09:51
I would sugest a tent as it is warmer.If the temps are very cold bank dry leaves around 3 sides. Shelters are very cold sleeping in winter I am told .I never sleep in shelters but met some people who did and they said they were very cold.

ShelterLeopard
11-08-2009, 21:41
Just to re-awaken this thread (and no more talk about cold weather gear!!!)...

ShelterLeopard
11-08-2009, 21:42
That'd be great- I'm leaving New Jersey on Amtrak on February 21 (overnight sleeper train), arriving in Gainesville, GA February 22, staying the night at The Hiker Hostel, and hitting the trail on February 23. If you want to join me then, that would be awesome! (If that's too late for you, I could start out maybe two or three days earlier) And I know what I'm doing, but I'm not in fantastic shape, so I won't be moving to fast in the beginning either. I like to start out pretty slow. So if that sounds good to you, that would be great!

Change the date of departure to February 18th (from New Jersey), overnight at The Hiker Hostel on Febraury 19th, starting the trail on Febraury 20th.

smankin
11-08-2009, 21:56
I am 18 and female and looking for someone to hike with starting in April/May 2010 and going north

Jim Adams
11-09-2009, 08:47
You will be cold with a 15* bag and a feb. start. I use a 0* bag from Springer thru the Grayson Highlands and take a down jacket and I'm a little old fat man with LOTS of insulation.

geek

ShelterLeopard
11-09-2009, 12:32
I also have the 15 degree liner (it adds 15 degrees of warmth to the bag), and I am naturally very warm. And I love the cold (though, not so much at night if I can't make it go away!)

Red Beard
11-09-2009, 18:38
I may be mistaken, but I think your own body weight may have something to do with how warm you stay in a bag. I'm a hefty guy at 220 lbs, and IMHO the same bag that keeps me warm, is not going to keep someone who's 110 pounds just as warm.

In my case vs the 110 pounder, more body heat is being produced. All the bag does, is trap that heat.

skinewmexico
11-09-2009, 20:04
All I know is I would be out in the yard testing my system, every time a cold front rolled thru. Better to find out it won't work when you can get up and go into the house.

Blissful
11-09-2009, 20:41
All I know is I would be out in the yard testing my system, every time a cold front rolled thru. Better to find out it won't work when you can get up and go into the house.

Good idea. PLenty of cold nights. Try it also with your gear and single digits. You can and will hit that.

ShelterLeopard
11-09-2009, 23:35
That's what I was planning- and it can get pretty cold here in December and January.

codpilot
11-17-2009, 22:24
Yep - I can attest the GA mountains in Feb are rather cold to say the least!

Liner for the sleeping bag - well worth it (saves the stink later too - and it can make a nice light bag when it gets warmer - using the warmer bag as a quilt. I do most of my hiking that way. Double up for cold - "quilt" and liner for warmer as needed.

Light fleece jacket with a medium weight down jacket over it (rain gear on top of that) for camping warmth. Keeps me warm to 0 and I run to the cooler side at night (warmer when I hike). Layers for hiking, and yeah practice before you go!

Of course lots of stops for hot chocolate as needed for calories and warmth. Oh yeah, make sure you eat lots when it's cold - you're burning a whole bunch more than you think!

As for hiking partners - while it might be nice to plan ahead - you may find that you'll have a bunch of folks to keep you company - all ages and sex. And at that time of the year - maybe more than you want :)

walk well!

djga32
01-14-2010, 17:39
Shelterleopard is the worst trail name ever, im sure you'll be a georgia statistic if you even start the trail

Yahtzee
01-14-2010, 17:49
Shelterleopard is the worst trail name ever, im sure you'll be a georgia statistic if you even start the trail

You've obviously never heard of Vulture Chow.

ShelterLeopard
01-14-2010, 17:58
DJGA- why are you being so rude? What the hell is your problem?

Nean
01-14-2010, 18:15
and wanted to say to djga32- better to try and become a statistic than to be an A$$ho, without ANY doubt!:eek:

PUNKINPUSS11
01-14-2010, 18:26
read ur earlier posts ebay item number 110478658161

ShelterLeopard
01-14-2010, 18:30
I already have great winter clothing, but thanks for the thought!

Wolf - 23000
01-14-2010, 18:54
DJGA- why are you being so rude? What the hell is your problem?

ShelterLeopard,

Please just ignor DJGA as just being a jerk. There is nothing wrong with your trail name. Trail name are part of the fun of being out there. If DJGA is so uptitle about proper trail name, DJGA should get a life.

Wolf

jombo22
01-14-2010, 18:58

You registered with the forum just to post that :p

ShelterLeopard
01-14-2010, 19:50
ShelterLeopard,

Please just ignor DJGA as just being a jerk. There is nothing wrong with your trail name. Trail name are part of the fun of being out there. If DJGA is so uptitle about proper trail name, DJGA should get a life.

Wolf

Thanks Wolf.

You registered with the forum just to post that :p

And jombo, I noticed that too- he signed off right after posting. I don't understand why though.

And I'm finished with this thread, because I've already found someone to start with.

10-K
01-14-2010, 20:56
"I'll be starting in February- do you think it'll be warm enough? (I can always add a layer or two, of course)"

I'm starting in (late) February too, and using the Thermawrap as my only torso warmth layer, but again ---.

You never know what kind of weather you're going to get but if you're starting in late February that's going to put you in GSMNP in mid-March.

A good bit of this 75 mile stretch is over 6000'. I hiked it in mid-March too - snow was knee deep in places, ice was everywhere and it was cold as POOH.

Be careful out there.... it's one thing to think about dealing with the cold in the comforts of your own home - it's another thing all together actually being in it.

ShelterLeopard
01-14-2010, 21:01
That's what I'm expecting 10-K! (Don't forget, this thread was started months ago- now I have both cold weather gear and hiking experience. Not quite as naive as when I posted all the original questions.

10-K
01-14-2010, 21:07
That's what I'm expecting 10-K! (Don't forget, this thread was started months ago- now I have both cold weather gear and hiking experience. Not quite as naive as when I posted all the original questions.

Ha! I didn't even look at the dates. It's pretty cool watching people learn over time - there's so much experience and information available on this site it's incredible.

I'm planning on starting where I left off in NY and going to Maine in May. If all goes as planned it will have taken me 2.5 years to hike the entire AT - not exactly a thru-hike but fast enough for me!

Mongoose2
01-14-2010, 22:45

Don't be a dick

ShelterLeopard
01-14-2010, 23:16
Thanks Mongoose :)

And good luck 10-K, maybe I'll see you on the trail!

Mongoose2
01-14-2010, 23:19
Hope I don't get moderated for that one!

tennesseered
01-28-2010, 15:45
have to agree with djga that name is weaksauce

ShelterLeopard
01-28-2010, 16:14
Gator (or other Mods), would you please lock this thread? I'd appreciate it very much, thanks.