PDA

View Full Version : Canned bacon?

ShelterLeopard
09-13-2009, 15:20
So, what do you all think of canned bacon- apart from how much it weighs (I'm just interested in how it tastes)?

Jack Tarlin
09-13-2009, 15:22
Some of it tastes just fine, tho in some cases, especially some of the foreign-made stuff (Eastern European), it might be of questionable antiquity.

Therefore I think it makes more sense to buy the pre-cooked factory sealed stuff which is widely available in most supermarkets and weighs very little, or if you're gonna use the stuff up quickly, I'd pack REAL bacon out of town.

Hikes in Rain
09-13-2009, 15:48
Haven't had it since I was a kid, when we'd take it camping in the Holiday Rambler, but I remember it being salty and a little fatty. Other than that, it tasted like bacon, and for some reason, we took it every time.

Feral Bill
09-13-2009, 15:51
I used to use Danish canned bacon. It was good. Jacks idea looks better, except maybe for a long paddle trip. I'd think twice in bear country.

Jack Tarlin
09-13-2009, 16:01
What, when you open up a can of meat a bear can't smell it? :D

Believe me, they KNOW you're out there, especially once you start cooking it.

Rocket Jones
09-13-2009, 17:09
I remember buying canned bacon from Poland. Very tasty but extremely salty.

LaurieAnn
09-13-2009, 18:53
Why not just nix the can and use some thing like this...

http://www.mapleleaf.com/ConsumerProducts/ReadyCrisp/default.aspx

Feral Bill
09-13-2009, 18:57
What, when you open up a can of meat a bear can't smell it? :D

Believe me, they KNOW you're out there, especially once you start cooking it.

Thus the warning to think twice about the canned stuff (or regular).

Wise Old Owl
09-13-2009, 20:03
Why not just nix the can and use some thing like this...

http://www.mapleleaf.com/ConsumerProducts/ReadyCrisp/default.aspx

That or cook it yourself, crush it, and vacuum seal, in a mini boil bag. but do it with premium bacon - not the cheap stuff..

Del Q
09-13-2009, 20:28
I find the pre-cooked bacon a good, light-weight snack with a bagel and some cheese. Must have a ton of preservatives, prefer NOT to read that label, no issue on AT with no fridge. Tasy - Light

Panzer1
09-13-2009, 20:33
Canned bacon from overseas may taste different from American bacon but I doubt that it tastes better.

Panzer

Panzer1
09-13-2009, 20:35
when carrying a package of fresh bacon out of town it will not last long enough to go bad. You can eat a half pack of bacon in one day. The only problem is that you will go though a bit of fuel to cook it.

Don't throw out the grease, save it.

Panzer

the goat
09-13-2009, 20:40
yeah, the pre-cooked, vacuum sealed stuff jack was talking a/b tastes good, and it's so easy that i wouldn't mess w/ anything else. it's great with eggs and fresh jalepenos too.

Wise Old Owl
09-13-2009, 20:58
That or cook it yourself, crush it, and vacuum seal, in a mini boil bag. but do it with premium bacon - not the cheap stuff..

I find the pre-cooked bacon a good, light-weight snack with a bagel and some cheese. Must have a ton of preservatives, prefer NOT to read that label, no issue on AT with no fridge. Tasy - Light

that should be the same thing.

when carrying a package of fresh bacon out of town it will not last long enough to go bad. You can eat a half pack of bacon in one day. The only problem is that you will go though a bit of fuel to cook it.

1/2 inch wood fire burned to coal layer of tin foil (doubled) bacon on top. micro hole in middle to drain grease to coal.

sarbar
09-14-2009, 11:43
It isn't any worse than most "fresh bacon" for the ingredient list. I wouldn't eat it every day though ;)

LaurieAnn
09-14-2009, 13:28
Not sure about your American pre-cooked bacon products... but Maple Leaf doesn't add anything extra to extend the shelf-life.

"Maple Leaf Ready Crisp Precooked Bacon Slices have a shelf life unopened of 180 days (6 months) at room temperature. This is possible due to the cooking process which kills bacteria and removes the moisture necessary for bacterial growth, and by vacuum packaging which removes the oxygen necessary for bacterial growth. No additional preservatives or additives are added to extend the shelf life.

Maple Leaf Ready Crisp Precooked Bacon Pieces have a shelf life unopened of 120 days (4 months) at room temperature. This is lower than for the slices due to the gas flushed packaging (oxygen is removed and replaced with nitrogen and carbon dioxide) which helps to prevent the pieces from sticking together but is not as effective in preventing bacterial growth.

Once the packages are opened the product must be refrigerated and used within 14 days or frozen. The refrigerated shelf life is longer than for other processed meats due to the low moisture content of the products, however they are susceptible to spoilage through cross contamination and exposure to air. "

MikenSalem
09-14-2009, 14:28
Wal-Mart sells a bag of real bacon pieces 2.5 oz? off the shelf. Calls for fridge after opening. Tastes like bacon :eek: in my eggs n grits. I never worry about the fridge never had a problem. We also use it around home for BLT's cause the pieces don't pull out of a sandwich like strips do. Ton of preservatives? were talking bacon the only thing needing preservatives is the embalmer after your heart attack. :D I think it's on the salad crouton isle.
Also I've just fried some up and put it in a baggie, it lasted fine. Good luck

ShelterLeopard
09-15-2009, 12:34
Not sure about your American pre-cooked bacon products... but Maple Leaf doesn't add anything extra to extend the shelf-life.

"Maple Leaf Ready Crisp Precooked Bacon Slices have a shelf life unopened of 180 days (6 months) at room temperature. This is possible due to the cooking process which kills bacteria and removes the moisture necessary for bacterial growth, and by vacuum packaging which removes the oxygen necessary for bacterial growth. No additional preservatives or additives are added to extend the shelf life.

Maple Leaf Ready Crisp Precooked Bacon Pieces have a shelf life unopened of 120 days (4 months) at room temperature. This is lower than for the slices due to the gas flushed packaging (oxygen is removed and replaced with nitrogen and carbon dioxide) which helps to prevent the pieces from sticking together but is not as effective in preventing bacterial growth.

Once the packages are opened the product must be refrigerated and used within 14 days or frozen. The refrigerated shelf life is longer than for other processed meats due to the low moisture content of the products, however they are susceptible to spoilage through cross contamination and exposure to air. "

Wow- good to know Laurie! (And everyone else) Thanks. As for needing to refrigerate it after opening, I can't imagine that demolishing bacon will be difficult- especially if I'm in a shelter when I open it!

LaurieAnn
09-15-2009, 12:39
I noticed my friend Shelley uses it on her pizza the night before and then uses the rest with her breakfast the next day. I buy the PC brand which is pretty much the same but is packaged in two separate smaller amounts and then I have just what I need for the 3 of us (7 slices - 3 each for the guys and 1 for me). The larger Ready Crisp packs have about 14 slices in one larger pack.

ShelterLeopard
09-15-2009, 12:44
And you can just find this in any grocery store? I which section- packaged meat, I suppose?

LaurieAnn
09-15-2009, 12:49
I'm in Canada so it will be a bit different most likely. In our stores it is near the regular bacon but generally on a shelf in the aisle as opposed to in the refridgerated case. Sometimes it is near the deli and other times near the other canned meats. Next time I am in Ann Arbor or Messena I'll take a look and see where they hide it.

ShelterLeopard
09-15-2009, 12:51
Thanks very much Laurie. (And my future sheltermates thank you too, I'm sure)

Wise Old Owl
09-27-2009, 16:32
OK I with (one arm tied behind my back to make it fair) (Russel druggie Limburger) will impart upon you BACON efficianatios the secrets of making cheap- O bacon feel & taste like Awesome Bacon

Put Cheap ass bacon On Microwave rack for immediate American Water boarding! Add sprinkle of Dried Onion Chips called (Minced) all over the bacon, Sprinkle chili Powder and Parmesan Herb (new from McCormicks) and Wrights Smoke liquid on the bacon. (Keep the SGT proud) After three minutes transfer greese & bacon to pan for another two minutes of cooking in the pan for light browning. then dry between two sheets of paper wipes and then vacume seal - TOOO DIE FOR! Rookies! What no Parmesan Herb? (NO Excuses) How about Badia Season Salt??? What happened to Fresh crack pepper? No mill - bunch of nay sayers! Hmmm?

Now get out there and stop sniviling!

Hikes in Rain
09-27-2009, 16:43
Very nice!

ShelterLeopard
09-27-2009, 23:44
Wow Owl- definitely gonna try it! Oh, and everone can relax because I found the bacon! Got a can with something like thirty slices in it. And it was surprisingly light for a can- I'm usually completely against cans because of their weight, but lately canned bacon and canned gingerbread have caught my attention!

ralph reed
09-28-2009, 23:10
So, what do you all think of canned bacon- apart from how much it weighs (I'm just interested in how it tastes)?
tastes like junko

earlyriser26
09-29-2009, 05:55
I have not bought it in years, but I recall it was just like regular bacon. Ah, the memories of some of my first hikes where I would often carry a small canned ham.

Connie
09-29-2009, 18:09
I saw Danish canned bacon, once, in the international section.

I carried it. I ate it.

It was delicious, if cut wafer thin. I wound up cooking the entire can. It could spoil, you know.

I did share it. At least, that is how I remember it.

I started carrying actual cooked bacon bits, then, I decided I would move away from the idea of food I might have a home to more ideal food for the trail.

It is salty. It is heavy in the pack.

Wise Old Owl
09-29-2009, 18:45
Well Connie if its Danish it got to be good, just be careful sometimes in fine print it's product of somewhere else.

Found this gem.....

http://www.uniquedaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/tactical-canned-bacon.jpg

Ohh Wow found this site, Scroll down.

http://www.internet-grocer.net/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=3

ShelterLeopard
09-29-2009, 22:35
I KNOW!!!! I just found tactical bacon too- AWESOME. I need tactical bacon.

Wise Old Owl
09-29-2009, 22:47
I KNOW!!!! I just found tactical bacon too- AWESOME. I need tactical bacon.

Well uhhh I can't say I share your enthusiasm, Sort of opening a Cracker Jack box to find a plastic or rubber surprise.....Makes me
wonder whats in Tactical Bacon... Like Lead!:rolleyes:

Mongoose2
09-29-2009, 22:53
I noticed my friend Shelley uses it on her pizza the night before and then uses the rest with her breakfast the next day. I buy the PC brand which is pretty much the same but is packaged in two separate smaller amounts and then I have just what I need for the 3 of us (7 slices - 3 each for the guys and 1 for me). The larger Ready Crisp packs have about 14 slices in one larger pack.

LaurieAnn; every time I see a post from you it makes me hungry!!

Wise Old Owl
09-29-2009, 22:58
LaurieAnn; every time I see a post from you it makes me hungry!!

She has the same effect on me.... :D

ShelterLeopard
09-30-2009, 11:53
Well uhhh I can't say I share your enthusiasm, Sort of opening a Cracker Jack box to find a plastic or rubber surprise.....Makes me
wonder whats in Tactical Bacon... Like Lead!:rolleyes:

Well, I'm a slight nerd. The name Tactical Bacon totally sold me. I'm a serious sucker for nerdy advertising- like the Nietzche "Will to Power" Bar (energy Bar) tasted really bad, but I got another because I loved the wrapper. I know, I know, awful and a waste, but I don't do it that often.

I do like to get things that make me smile when I just see the package though. I went to VT recently and got a supply of maple candy, champlain honey and good chocolate to send to myself along with numerous packages of pasta dishes. I need to have a least one thing in my pack for a hard day. Either something delicious, or something like Tactical Bacon. Makes me :D

Jack Tarlin
09-30-2009, 11:58
I think "Tactical Bacon" would also make for a pretty cool Trail name, too.

Connie
09-30-2009, 15:36
Does SGT Rock have anything to do with "Tactical Bacon"?

TD55
09-30-2009, 15:49
She has the same effect on me.... :D

We always end up cooking and eating something we never had before at my house:)