PDA

View Full Version : big butt

jodestick
09-13-2009, 17:54
has anyone hiked the big butt trail in NC near asheville recently? i hear its a nice hike. however, i have also heard it it grown over and not well marked. i am wondering if that has changed. any observations and advice would be appreciated. thanks!

modiyooch
09-13-2009, 18:22
I haveen't been there recently at all, but I will say it was a memorable hike for me when I hiked that part of the AT. I do eventually want to go back.

Tennessee Viking
09-13-2009, 18:47
I think jodestick is talking about the Big Butt trail around Burnsville and Mt Mitchell in Yancey County NC. I never seen that trail. I will have to look at my maps.

For the Coldspring Big Butt (AT), you can access it by the Laural Backcountry trails outside of Hot Springs. Or from Horse Creek Campground in Tennessee, using the forest road or trails.

Brushy Sage
09-13-2009, 20:20
The trail across Big Butt west of Asheville does get grown up pretty fast, and on the north side there might be lots of overgrowth. The maintainers get out there as often as they can. Meanwhile hikers do manage to find their way and trample down the weeds to keep the trail visible.

jodestick
09-13-2009, 23:08
yes, i was talking about the trail near asheville. i never knew there was a big butt mt. on the AT. interesting....thanks for the info guys!

MikenSalem
09-14-2009, 12:08
You read the guides and are led to expect some sort of standing rock on Standing Indian, I never saw any indian?? Then you get up Big Butt on the AT and there it is, a big ol butt right beside the trail. I tagged a picture but it's not that great, maybe somebody else can do it justice.

Gray Blazer
09-14-2009, 12:14
You read the guides and are led to expect some sort of standing rock on Standing Indian, I never saw any indian?? Then you get up Big Butt on the AT and there it is, a big ol butt right beside the trail. I tagged a picture but it's not that great, maybe somebody else can do it justice.

There used to be a Standing Indian on Standing Indian. He was some chief or something and I forget the story cuz I was shined (Thanks, Guys) but Ron Haven told us. The Local indians were upset when it got defaced and they had it removed and it is stored somewhere.