PDA

View Full Version : Passing

GeneralLee10
09-13-2009, 20:00
I was not sure on how to Title this. I was wondering how people are about passing or getting passed on the trail. Who has the right-of-way so to speak. If you are a faster Hiker than the one in front of you and your going up a slope or down. What is the proper way to say hey behind ya or passing or what exactly does one say ?

Captain
09-13-2009, 20:06
I was not sure on how to Title this. I was wondering how people are about passing or getting passed on the trail. Who has the right-of-way so to speak. If you are a faster Hiker than the one in front of you and your going up a slope or down. What is the proper way to say hey behind ya or passing or what exactly does one say ?

i believe.. those coming uphill have the right of way.. cause its harder for them to stop then get going again than those coming down hill, as for passing i usually just give them a friendly" pardon can i squeeze by?" so they will stop and kinda step off so i can pass a thank you and tip of your hat afterwards isnt lost on them at all either

Wise Old Owl
09-13-2009, 20:09
Sort of like driving.... Pass like you drive a car unless you are a brit and then its clearly reversed. Wave like screwin a light bulb and yell if their elderly to startle the feces out out them.

Capt? "Pardon"
Canadian - Aye!
Ausi- Godday Mate!
Texmex - Capasa!
New York- How u doin?
Georgia - Get out of the way!

Captain
09-13-2009, 20:12
Sort of like driving.... Pass like you drive a car unless you are a brit and then its clearly reversed. Wave like screwin a light bulb and yell if their elderly to startle the feces out out them.

Capt? "Pardon" Canadian - Aye! Ausi- Godday Mate! Texmex - Capasa! New York- How u doin? Georgia - Get out of the way!

well i cant pretend to be more culturally diverse than you good sir

modiyooch
i believe.. those coming uphill have the right of way.. cause its harder for them to stop then get going again than those coming down hill, It's not hard for me to stop going uphill. I typically use it for a break.

Egads
Usually the one moving at the fastest pace continues regardless of direction

Wise Old Owl
09-13-2009, 20:14
Capt - I don't care what they say - you are very cool!

Reid
09-13-2009, 20:17
I've noticed that when I pass someone often we say the same thing. Like "how ya doing?" - "How YOU doing?" and neither of us answer the question. Perhaps the only instance of turning an interagotive sentence into a declarative statement I've come to know. I think next time I pass someone on a trail Im gonna say "What you eat for lunch?" or maybe "Hey hows your folks?" Ask them a question they can't just blurt anything out in response too. Throw em off gaurd, see whos on their toes.

Captain
09-13-2009, 20:17
It's not hard for me to stop going uphill. I typically use it for a break.

truth be told im not used to crowded trails so was jus trying to think from each point of view, for me uphill is harder but thats prolly just cuase i have had little too much bananna bread with whipped cream

Captain
09-13-2009, 20:18
Capt - I don't care what they say - you are very cool!

oh wow i have a "they" now do i?

Egads
09-13-2009, 20:20
oh wow i have a "they" now do i?

You've a Posse

Jonnycat
09-13-2009, 20:22
Give them ample time before you are in their space. Like maybe thirty yards behind them them, say, "Hello" or something else innocuous in a pleasant, non-demanding voice to announce your presence.

Sneaking up within a few feet of someone can lead to a dangerous situation for the person who is doing the sneaking, depending on the training/mood/reaction of the person of the person being snuck up upon.

Hoop Time
09-13-2009, 20:43
I'm used to be the slower one, so I just get outta the way

Wise Old Owl
09-13-2009, 20:55
Capt its not a posse - Its much larger - its called a Crew!

Captain
09-13-2009, 22:02
Capt its not a posse - Its much larger - its called a Crew!

wow i am not deserving

kolokolo
09-13-2009, 22:06
Sneaking up within a few feet of someone can lead to a dangerous situation for the person who is doing the sneaking, depending on the training/mood/reaction of the person of the person being snuck up upon.

The above is especially true if the person you are passing happens to be the one carrying a dagger.

excuses
09-13-2009, 22:29
i'm usually traveling solo so i use it as an excuse to stop and move over. as for an exchange it's usually pasted any water recently, or how far back has the last shelter.

GeneralLee10
09-13-2009, 23:37
The above is especially true if the person you are passing happens to be the one carrying a dagger.

They mite also be the one with the sword built into there walking stick:eek:

emerald
09-14-2009, 00:01
When I 1st saw the title, I thought the poster might be inquiring about something else. I thought I might tactfully suggest proper etiquette demands passing occur downwind if you get my drift.

Tuckahoe
09-14-2009, 02:30
When I 1st saw the title, I thought the poster might be inquiring about something else. I thought I might tactfully suggest proper etiquette demands passing occur downwind if you get my drift.

Please! no drift either... :eek:

fiddlehead
09-14-2009, 04:00
I always use the same words for hiking that i do for skiing.
Simply say "on your right" or "passing on your right"
(or left of course if that works better)

Summit
09-14-2009, 06:50
Uphillers should yield to downhillers as it's more likely the uphiller can use a breather and the downhiller doesn't need one and is in a groove/pace.

GeneralLee10
09-14-2009, 09:17
If I am going up a hill I would rather not stop mid way up. That is why I asked this question (Passing). For me when going up to take a break would only make it harder to continue up. The person going down hill it would be much easier for them to stop than the one going up correct? Now correct me if I'm wrong, but if your muscles are burning that is lactic acid and you don't want that to build up. It needs to be worked out and by taking a break would only make it worse cramps,pains etcetera.

yaduck9
09-14-2009, 09:21
They mite also be the one with the sword built into there walking stick:eek:

I think I would be more afraid of being sprayed down with pepper spray but I like the image you conjure up.:rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdfGOXUlFrE

GeneralLee10
09-14-2009, 09:33
Cool video, I would say don't sneak up on someone like that while hiking you mite not what your gonna get:eek:

Jayboflavin04
09-14-2009, 09:45
I beep my horn "Beep Beep...coming through!" Mainly so I dont walk up on anyone and scare them.

hikingshoes
09-14-2009, 09:58
lol,thats a good one:banana
Please! no drift either... :eek:

envirodiver
09-14-2009, 10:25
I think the proper thing to do if you approach behind a slower hiker is to make car sounds and a little "beep, beep" gets the job done.

sbhikes
09-14-2009, 11:01
When coming up behind, I try to make a little extra noise with my trekking poles. Then I say, "Hi there" but not too loudly so I don't startle anybody. People will usually look behind and let me pass.

Sometimes as I pass I will stop to talk so that it's not like I'm some kind of speed demon trying to show off. Actually, though, I am showing off because not only am I so fast that I can pass them, I have so much time being so fast that I can waste it chatting with people on the trail. I try to slip something in there about how I'm going 30 miles today just to really make my point.

People going downhill are supposed to let uphill people continue without stopping, but many uphillers are carrying too much weight so they welcome an excuse to stop and rest.

Gray Blazer
09-14-2009, 11:07
If you are letting someone pass, it's a good idea to stand on the uphill side of the trail just in case they trip or knock into you so you don't go tumbling down the side of the mountain. This way if you trip or accidentally knock into them, they are more likely to go tumbling down.

GeneralLee10
09-14-2009, 11:27
If you are letting someone pass, it's a good idea to stand on the uphill side of the trail just in case they trip or knock into you so you don't go tumbling down the side of the mountain. This way if you trip or accidentally knock into them, they are more likely to go tumbling down.

Good point, thank you for saying that.

Gray Blazer
09-14-2009, 11:44
And since Thursday, Sept 17 is talk like a pirate day you may want to say something like, " Ahoy me bucko, gangway your scurvy arse before I pillage ye with me cutlass and turn ye into shark bait and send ye to feed the fish in Davy Jones Locker! Arrgh!"

JaxHiker
09-14-2009, 15:23
I'm all about taking a break so I let people pass me. But I don't pass too many people so I stop to let the millipedes and grasshoppers pass me instead.

bpitt
09-14-2009, 15:46
I usually get passed on uphills. However, if I am able to pass someone, they will automatically hear my huffing and puffing and know I'm behind them. Usually they stop and not only allow me to pass, but ask if I need cardiac assistance.

tiptoe
09-14-2009, 15:50
For me, this is totally a non-issue. I'm invariably slower than the other hiker, so I just step aside.

sherrill
09-14-2009, 16:33

On the Inca Trail this was the rule when the porters came running by.

You always heard them well in advance. Sorta like a small rumble. :D

YoungMoose
09-14-2009, 17:36
I've noticed that when I pass someone often we say the same thing. Like "how ya doing?" - "How YOU doing?" and neither of us answer the question. Perhaps the only instance of turning an interagotive sentence into a declarative statement I've come to know. I think next time I pass someone on a trail Im gonna say "What you eat for lunch?" or maybe "Hey hows your folks?" Ask them a question they can't just blurt anything out in response too. Throw em off gaurd, see whos on their toes.lol let me know peoples response this is going to be funny

Pedaling Fool
09-14-2009, 17:42
...Now correct me if I'm wrong, but if your muscles are burning that is lactic acid and you don't want that to build up. It needs to be worked out and by taking a break would only make it worse cramps,pains etcetera.
I don't know anything about trail etiquette, but stopping here and there with some quick stretching is good for you. It's the long breaks that are painful, by long I mean any thing that's longer than 20 minutes, although this time varies from person to person, but if you take a long break the harder it is to get moving again and the longer the break the harder it is to get moving. 1-2 minute stops are ok.

Jester2000
09-14-2009, 17:46
Uphillers should yield to downhillers as it's more likely the uphiller can use a breather and the downhiller doesn't need one and is in a groove/pace.

If I am going up a hill I would rather not stop mid way up. That is why I asked this question (Passing). For me when going up to take a break would only make it harder to continue up. The person going down hill it would be much easier for them to stop than the one going up correct? . . .

Generally speaking, I yield to just about everyone. When going downhill, I yield to uphill hikers 'cause I know that a lot of people get into a rhythm going uphill that is harder to pick up again from a dead stop. But when I'm going uphill I usually stand to one side and yell up to the downhill person "you can come on! I'll take any excuse to stop hiking for a minute!"

It has become more difficult lately passing someone traveling in the same direction. I'm a pretty fast walker, and I've startled a lot of people because I've been unaware that they didn't hear me because they were wearing iPods.

I've heard from some rattlesnakes in PA who have noticed the same thing.

GeneralLee10
09-14-2009, 18:05
1-2 minute stops are ok.[/quote]

This is much closer to a workout break like in between sets which would make sense. The stretching part will apply the same as well. (My thought)When you get moving up hill for instance like on a bicycle are you going to stop and take a break in the middle of the hill ? But each to his own I know, just wondering if there was a certain phrase to say. When mountain biking Passing on right or something similar is said. If your slower then you get out of the way just the polite thing to do right?:D

Rockhound
09-14-2009, 22:59
this is one of those questions that really don't need an answer. It always seems to take care of itself without a big dilemma. I am always willing to step aside to allow others to pass and also am willing to pass when "right of way" has been yielded to me. Occasionally you'll run into a hiker with a head full of steam that has no intention of stopping for you or anybody, regardless of the situation. On these occasions I suggest dropping to the ground right in their path and start complaining about a bad leg cramp. You block their way and by doing so you have an opportunity to ask them what the Fing hurry is.

GeneralLee10
09-15-2009, 08:49
That would be funny:D, All though I would ask you if you needed some help. I would also offer to rub your leg :p No just kidding:) Sounds funny could even be a skit in a AT comedy film about hikers.

Gray Blazer
09-15-2009, 08:59
That would be funny:D, All though I would ask you if you needed some help. I would also offer to rub your leg :p No just kidding:) Sounds funny could even be a skit in a AT comedy film about hikers.
Thanks, I just spewed my coffee.:)

Rockhound
09-15-2009, 09:01

You ain't from Dalton are ya?

sheepdog
09-15-2009, 09:05
The worst ones are the guys with earbuds in. I came up behind a guy and said excuse me, no answer. He stopped for a second and I thought he finally heard me so I started by, his scream was really quite un-manly. He said he thought I was a bear.

Gray Blazer
09-15-2009, 09:09
The worst ones are the guys with earbuds in. I came up behind a guy and said excuse me, no answer. He stopped for a second and I thought he finally heard me so I started by, his scream was really quite un-manly. He said he thought I was a bear.

Yeah....I hate that. If they are wearing earbuds, they at least need a rearview mirror. One day I'm gonna give one of those guys a heart attack. I'm on my bike and yelling from 50 yards away and they still jump a mile when I'm going way around them.

sheepdog
09-15-2009, 09:18
Yep, should start carrying a video camera. Might get some real funny videos.

GeneralLee10
09-15-2009, 09:29
Thanks, I just spewed my coffee.:)

Sorry :)

You ain't from Dalton are ya?

Nope I live in Central Fl :o

ARambler
09-15-2009, 10:59
What we need is less etiquette. Usually, a hiker (of unidentifiable sex because they are so far away) sees me and jumps on an unstable rock and waits as I walk by a dozen good passing places. I'm bemused, but grateful. When it is easy to walk off the trail, I will often get off the trail and watch as the other hiker also gets off the trail and walks trough the woods just to be equally polite. If the trail is narrow, and I get off at a "good" passing place, the other hiker will come up and stand in the trail just in front of me and ask what I had for lunch. We will have a pleasant conversation, but soon I will notice that my ankles are getting tired as I stumble into the other hiker.

I have found that most hikers with Ipods are willing to take them off and talk.
Rambler

leeki pole
09-15-2009, 11:32
I always just whistle when about 25 yards away. It works for my dogs, and they're smarter than most hikers.:D

Wise Old Owl
09-15-2009, 19:32

Wow that would have made a great youtube!