PDA

View Full Version : Things you carry with you...

sbbtool
09-13-2009, 22:25
I was just curious about the things people carry in their packs. Are there things you carry in your pack that you have never used? How about things you used to carry when you first started but realized they were just extra weight. I've already learned that I carried way too much food on my first hike.

Phreak
09-13-2009, 22:33
I used to carry too much food, too many clothes, too many first-aid items...

modiyooch
09-13-2009, 22:37
i use it all. even the snake bite kit to pop blisters, which was a mistake.

Slack-jawed Trog
09-13-2009, 22:40
Things I carry that I don't use or just haven't used yet...YMMV

1) Rip-stop nylon tape for tent/sleeping bag repair

2) Clevis pins, I prefer an external frame pack

3) Duct-tape (carried on a water bottle) for repairs #'s 1 + 2 above won't handle...

4) Swiss Army knife, thinking about replacing it with a small multi-tool/leatherman

5) First Aid kit, a small/basic set-up (guess I've been lucky)

6) Wallet & Cell phone, I hate the idea of leaving them in an unattended vehicle at the trailhead

Wise Old Owl
09-13-2009, 22:41
The first aid kit that never saw service. - except the imodium!:eek:

Manwich
09-13-2009, 22:43
I use absolutely everything but the pills i carry (vicodin in case i get injured, orphenadrine for muscle spasms) Otherwise, I'll throw it out.

garlic08
09-13-2009, 22:53
I pretty much got it down to minimum, finally. I can't believe the crap I used to carry.

The other week I was camped at an AT-style shelter in the Pasayten Wilderness in WA state. A group of four backpackers came in and started playing with and comparing all their REI toys--camp chairs, camp shoes, GPSs, altimeters, solar battery chargers, gas stoves, baking pots, insulated mugs and titanium sporks, water bladders and hoses, filters, multitools...whew. I just sat and stared and realized that I don't carry any of that stuff any more. I wonder what they thought of the poor quiet guy with no toys.

modiyooch
09-13-2009, 23:04
The mentality for packing light has carried over into my other forms of travel. I went to Asia for 8 days with only my carry on bag. My family of five never checked a bag for our flight to our cruise. I pack light for the beach, car camping, weekend travel etc. It's an art, plus I don't have to unpack it.

Feral Bill
09-13-2009, 23:08
I always carry a compass. Haven't used it in decades.

Wise Old Owl
09-13-2009, 23:09
The mentality for packing light has carried over into my other forms of travel. I went to Asia for 8 days with only my carry on bag. My family of five never checked a bag for our flight to our cruise. I pack light for the beach, car camping, weekend travel etc. It's an art, plus I don't have to unpack it.

There's a much larger detailed story there...

Peaked my interest!

Blissful
09-13-2009, 23:33
I pretty much got it down to minimum, finally. I can't believe the crap I used to carry.

The other week I was camped at an AT-style shelter in the Pasayten Wilderness in WA state. A group of four backpackers came in and started playing with and comparing all their REI toys--camp chairs, camp shoes, GPSs, altimeters, solar battery chargers, gas stoves, baking pots, insulated mugs and titanium sporks, water bladders and hoses, filters, multitools...whew. I just sat and stared and realized that I don't carry any of that stuff any more. I wonder what they thought of the poor quiet guy with no toys.

Some of that isn't necesarily toys or wrong to have. ?? Like camp shoes water bladders with hose, a mutitool (if its lightweight), a spork... :confused:

Jonnycat
09-13-2009, 23:34
Yes I use everything, except hopefully the first-aid kit (but I bring it anyway).

I used to bring a lot more stuff, but over the years I've pared it down to what I need, and it's more enjoyable that way for me.

If I wanted to play with toys I'd stay at home and game. :D

MikenSalem
09-13-2009, 23:59
I used to carry a several changes of underclothes and shirts and pants and Sigg bottles and lots of first aid (I'd settle for a few pills a couple of bandaids and sutures, if I could get any sutures) a fast dry towel, deodorant, shampoo a big knife. I hardly used any of it. Now, if you don't like how I smell walk up front. I'll just turn my shirt over when it's dirty and underwear? who needs stinkin underwear? Thats just something to cause chafe. I still like my washcloth it helps to wash up a bit and also is handy when I put in my contacts. Camp shoes can be nice but I haven't carried those lately.
I do carry a GPS just cause it has whatever trail I'm on, on it. If not then it's recording the trail for later use.
The biggest waist of pack space - water. Read the map, question the oncoming hikers carry a little extra and keep my water bladder topped off. Last year in the drought it was a different story but so far this year no problem.

bigcranky
09-14-2009, 07:36
I wonder what they thought of the poor quiet guy with no toys.

"That poor guy. Someday he'll be able to afford to be a real hiker."

:)

Gray Blazer
09-14-2009, 08:05
"That poor guy. Someday he'll be able to afford to be a real hiker."

:)

Yeah.....that's why I'll never be a real hiker.

babbage
09-14-2009, 09:35
I started carrying a first aid kit some years back. I made it up myself. It is relatively heavy. I have never used it, but am afraid that it would be bad luck at this point to leave it at home. I have offered bandaids to others and no one has "really" needed one.
I have carried a snakebite kit that my wife gave me in 1988 - suction syringe type. I have used it a couple of times to suck yellow jacket poison out of my ankles and one time Kenny Campbell used it on his butt cheek, also a yellow jacket sting. I always carry it - I am afraid to leave it at home. By the way, the cup that Kenny used got tossed out. Just another item that is rarely used - but carried in warmer months.
Tiny, backup LED light - always take it - never have used it.
Spare lighter - always take it - never used it.
My unused items seem to be the emergency type.

EasternBox
09-14-2009, 10:58
I take too much food and I always take too much fuel for my stove. But, i guess those are good things.

Also, i take sunscreen in the summer and never use it.

GeneralLee10
09-14-2009, 11:41
I use to carry a spoon but not anymore it weighs toooo much. So I just use my left hand to eat:eek:

sbhikes
09-14-2009, 13:54
I have 3 waterproof matches I have never used.
I might have used my compass once. I could have used it a few more times than that before I got it.
As soon as I got a rain poncho it stopped raining.
I haven't used the Vicodin.

Jonnycat
09-14-2009, 14:44
For some reason, now whenever I see this thread I think of this:

[=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLWm-m6CuCY]

Summit
09-14-2009, 17:06
I use to carry a spoon but not anymore it weighs toooo much. So I just use my left hand to eat:eek:Next step is to ditch the TP! Just remember to wipe with right hand and eat with the left! :eek: :D :p

GeneralLee10
09-14-2009, 17:13
Next step is to ditch the TP! Just remember to wipe with right hand and eat with the left! :eek: :D :p

If I were to do that then I would be practicing the Leaf no trace for sure huh :D Thinking go green now:-? :)

Seeker
09-14-2009, 18:11
Things i used to carry:

-Big first aid kit. As i've acquired skills, i've been able to make it smaller
-Extra pants (what was i thinking?!)
-Rain pants (now carried solely in winter as a wind barrier)
-Lexan fork and knife
-MSR Blacklite cookset (2 pans) for just me! (ouch!)
-Tent, groundcloth, foam pad (hammock now)
-Rubber air pillow
-Mini-maglite and candle lantern

Things i carry but seldom use:
-First aid kit
-Compass

i've made a few changes in my cooking system too, but what i carry depends on if i'm solo, with my daughter, or with another adult.

Tipi Walter
09-14-2009, 18:20
The old backpacker's homage, "If you don't use it every day, don't carry it" is pretty much nonsense. It's possible to go out for 10 days with a tent and tent fly and it never rains so you never use the tent fly. So you don't bring it? Or how about the rain jacket? I've carried my rain jacket on several trips and it's hardly used, but then I have to move in a cold rain and don't want to get my top layers wet so I use it and I'm glad for it.

The small ditty items like spoons or Bics or pain meds or stove parts or repair patches or q-tips or all the rest might never be used but they could be and aren't worth leaving at home.

GeneralLee10
09-14-2009, 18:25
You can't use what you don't have. If you do not have it you just mite need it.:p

Doooglas
10-09-2009, 03:31
I use absolutely everything but the pills i carry (vicodin in case i get injured, orphenadrine for muscle spasms) Otherwise, I'll throw it out.

Hike with me. I'll take care of the vicodin for you:cool::cool::cool:

Blue Jay
10-10-2009, 10:40
Next step is to ditch the TP! Just remember to wipe with right hand and eat with the left! :eek: :D :p

Why did you do that? You just played into the Ultralight Hikers hands

MintakaCat
10-10-2009, 11:02
One item I remember that I carried for years as a Boy Scout was a Sterno Stove. I was 12 years old when I first got that thing and I grew to hate it by the time I was 14 years old.

That thing took forever to boil water and weighed way too much. Saved up my money and got a Svea, after that backpacking was never the same.:)

Rocket Jones
10-10-2009, 12:36
We never used stoves in Scouts, always wood fires. Then again, we carried WWII surplus canvas shelter halves (http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_shelter_half.php). If you wanted to sleep by yourself, you either carried both halves (weighed *two* tons), or set it up open sided. That's what I usually did if it was warm enough.

As far as I can remember, none of the kids used anything but the shelter halves. I don't remember if the adults brought other tents or not.

Mags
10-10-2009, 14:24
Wine. Brandy. Makers Mark. Cheap ass Canadian Whiskey.

Perfect for toasting your friend's last 14er.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs191.snc1/6408_125894940020_563440020_3392901_5231483_n.jpg

double d
10-10-2009, 14:38
Once again, Mags has got a great picture to show us, good work. As for me, I always carry a little temp gauge, kinda stupid to look at and the say,"yup, its cold out" when the gauge reads about 10 degrees.

Mags
10-10-2009, 14:41
As far as I can remember, none of the kids used anything but the shelter halves. I don't remember if the adults brought other tents or not.

We used some similar canvas tents in the 80s. Not that long ago.

I remember one thing the most... The Scoutmasters saying DON'T TOUCH THE TENT!!!! when it started raining out. Otherwise you had a drip all night. :eek:

Ah..for the mildewy smell of those old tents.

EDIT: Looking at the link, apparently the US Army is STILL using some form of cotton shelter halves. Egads. It is 2009, and the troops are essentially using the same technology used by the US Army in 1861! :)

saimyoji
10-10-2009, 17:15

you and weasel should hike together. you'd make a great team! :)

jasonklass
10-11-2009, 13:05
I was just curious about the things people carry in their packs. Are there things you carry in your pack that you have never used? How about things you used to carry when you first started but realized they were just extra weight. I've already learned that I carried way too much food on my first hike.

All the things I've never used have been systematically weeded out over the years. Now I'm down to the basics.

Hooch
10-11-2009, 13:14
Ifit don't get used, it gets left behind. Common sense items like a rain jacket, first aid kit, etc are the exceptions to the rule.

Deadeye
10-12-2009, 12:46
Never used my:
rain pants,
compass,
bee sting kit,
anything on the multitool but the blade and can opener,
but I still carry them (but I have a smaller jacknife,and don't carry the rain pants in summer)

Pootz
10-12-2009, 13:45

The only things I carry that I have not used are my repair kit for my Big Agnes air pad and water proof matches. My pad has never leaked but I would not hike without the repair kit. My light has never failed me.

I used to take spare batteries for everything, now just replace periodically when in town. Sunglasses, except in winter I just wear a hat. I am sure there is more but nothing is coming to mind.

Wise Old Owl
10-12-2009, 13:51
New day pack list with interesting modifications This is for someone who is hiking alone

Quite frankly a day hike up to 14 miles can be done with a jug of water. Hiking is best accomplished with sneakers and possibly a new waterproof shell of a jacket. Ok, maybe a sandwich in your pocket. But that is it. The Boy Scout theory of a survival kit, heavy pack and weighty first aid kit and wool clothes is over done in this century. If you are sticking to a well worn trail and not bushwhacking the extra stuff is unnecessary. Here is the new list using new combination tools and items for a day pack with punch.

Lightweight Backpack – Most of them are small; pick one that meets your needs.
· Waterproof Sneakers Soloman, Boots are for tougher trails
· Lightweight Poles- that can be combined with the poncho in an overnight pinch.
· Water – Bladder with pipe & most important a shut off valve if the bite valve falls off.
· Foam mylar shield rapped around the bladder to keep the water cool or prevent freezing
· Katadyn Micro Filter in a bottle (optional)
· Empty wide mouth light bottle inside a self made package of Gatorade for 20 oz. (1 Cup)
· Lightweight Knife that has a locking blade.
· Compass on a plastic retractable key ring attached to the belt
· Three small fishhooks stored in cork (cork doubles as a float)
· Small thermometer
· 20 gallon Garbage bag to wrap the stuff & Keep it dry for river crossings.
· The Sandwich & Ziploc “box” to prevent sandwich compression
· Micro Med kit in a Aloksak, add loperamide & chewable Pepto
· Small waterproof towel
· Cell Phone Charged
· Small Am/Fm and/or MP3 Headphones
· GPS & Map if it fails
· Swiss knife
· Sunglasses
· Spork
· Head lamp on a strap & tape over the switch
· Wind matches &micro Bic Lighter & electrical tape around the lighter. Wrapped in plastic.
· 1. Esbit tab as a fire starter in wet weather
· Digital Camera and tested for chips inside
· Spare Cell battery.
· Cliff bar orTrail Mix Bar
· A few Hershey Kisses
· Jerky & String Cheese
· Extra Socks and liners in Plastic
· Nylon Rain Jacket or Poncho that can be used as some shelter.
· Toilet Paper & Anusol & Antibotic & Slip Slide in glad bag.
· Plastic Shovel dig trench and crap pit
· Compression bandage and quick clot (optional)
· Mosquito head net (avoid disease).
· Twenty five feet of power cord or nylon concrete string w 200 lbs strength (pitch emergency shelter)
· Halt Dog repellent & works on really creepy people
· Heavy duty Space blanket w/ vents leave the useless cheapies at home.
· Optional four titanium tent pegs (remember rocks can be used)
Dog Stuff
· Dog Bowl
· Gentle Leader
· Retactor leader
· Slim Jim
· Dog water in soda bottle

Fall
· Hunting bright shirt or flag
· Neon wool cap
· Thin gloves

Near Winter
· Holofill Gloves
· Fleece Hat
· Fleece Jacket & Tech Gortex Jacket

12 pounds total with water Note: no sleeping bag.
Left in car
· Pant, Socks, sneekers, Tea in Thermos - towel for mud change and note.

thomas533
10-12-2009, 16:05
For me what it comes down to is, if I was stuck in the woods overnight, how likely would I die without this item. I know this sounds a bit extreme, but this comes after doing years of Search and Rescue where I had to haul people out of the woods that thought it was a good idea to head out on the trail with out any supplies. Often the story was "I was just going for a quick run down the trail." or "I've hiked this trail dozens of times". It only takes one wrong turn to get you lost. It doesn't matter how experienced you are, if you go out into the woods with out the items that you need to survive, or at least find your way back under any conditions, you are asking for trouble. I've seen seasoned hikers get 10 miles off course on a 5 mile trail. If you think this can't happen to you, that is when it will happen.

I never head out on to the trail with out my knife, fire kit, means of water purification, navigation and signaling equipment, and shelter (ranging from extra clothnig to tent/tarp depending on the conditions.) My first aid kit consists of advil, imodium, duct tape and quick clot.

Wise Old Owl
10-12-2009, 17:22
Great post Thomas - I always wonder when I see unseasoned folk wandering up trails with nothing an hour before sunset.....

highfisher
10-13-2009, 02:46
I used to carry a several changes of underclothes and shirts and pants and Sigg bottles and lots of first aid (I'd settle for a few pills a couple of bandaids and sutures, if I could get any sutures) a fast dry towel, deodorant, shampoo a big knife. I hardly used any of it. Now, if you don't like how I smell walk up front. I'll just turn my shirt over when it's dirty and underwear? who needs stinkin underwear? Thats just something to cause chafe. I still like my washcloth it helps to wash up a bit and also is handy when I put in my contacts. Camp shoes can be nice but I haven't carried those lately.
I do carry a GPS just cause it has whatever trail I'm on, on it. If not then it's recording the trail for later use.
The biggest waist of pack space - water. Read the map, question the oncoming hikers carry a little extra and keep my water bladder topped off. Last year in the drought it was a different story but so far this year no problem.
I get my sutures at Medrepexpress or nitropak,,