PDA

View Full Version : Magic in the forest and some not so magic

ImkerVS
09-13-2009, 22:28
MAGIC: On the way back to Carver's Gap from the Overmountain shelter after an overnight, Saturday morning, in a spooky fog, a large owl, 6 or 7 foot wing span, biggest owl I've ever seen, flew in from the my left and landed on a branch 20 yards away up the trail, about 20 feet up. A medieval looking bird. Made me think of wizards and old wood cut images of monks. It studied me. I didn't move. The owl then flew to the other
side of the trail and continued checking me out from a different angle. This went on for a while, and all the time in the woods up the trail there's some mother finch or nuthatch, bird screeching out in bird language for her fledglings to "HIDE, HIDE HIDE, IT'S HERE!"

After about 10 minutes, I said aloud, "You're beautiful... but I have to go now." The owl then flew by 20 feet off to my left, close enough I flinched. It landed on a limb behind me, again about 20 yards away, about 20 feet up. And it looked at me, as if to say, "well, you can go now, but you know these are my woods now, don't you?"

I said, "thanks for letting me see you", and turned and hiked on, not looking back, feeling blessed.

NOT SO MAGIC: A church's Cub Scout group out of Johnson City arrived after dark to spend the night at the barn, nice kids, a little bit chatty at first, and all of them upstairs in the barn, us ol' timers downstairs on the porch.

The not so magic part happened when one of the kids, all of whom were in their sleeping bags, said to one of the adults, "tell us a story", and this adult proceeded to tell these kids a story of two women who were hiking the trail and one of them sprained an ankle badly above Erwin, and in the hospital told the other one to "go ahead, hike on, I'll catch up with you", which the other woman did, and the woman started hiking with a guy she met at Cherry Gap Shelter, and when they got to Vandeventer Shelter above Wataqua, the guy killed her with an ax and threw her body over a cliff, and to this day you can hear a blood curdling scream there from time to time. I heard a meek child's voice quietly plead, "Don't tell horror stories...". Not a word the rest of the night out of the cub scout troop, except one or two woke with nightmares in the early hours of the morning. Now these were Cub Scouts, and this was an evangelical Christian church's cub scout troop.

Now whether that story the jerk told is true or not, that is not the way to give kids their first experience of the trail.

Wise Old Owl
09-13-2009, 23:19
I have nothing to say, other than a good read.

ok I had a thought, remember the magic forget the rest.

Blissful
09-13-2009, 23:26
I have nothing to say, other than a good read.

C'mon, post a pic of medieval looking bird. (Like one dressed in armor). :)

emerald
09-13-2009, 23:30
Did the owl inquire about who does your cooking?

Wise Old Owl
09-13-2009, 23:52

Medieval....What?

Damn.... Not enough woodcuts on the blasted interenet...

Will this suffice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbSQ6O6kbs&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Famericandigest%2Eorg%2Fmt%2Darch ives%2F2005%5F01%2Ephp&feature=player_embedded#t=62:banana

Jonnycat
09-14-2009, 07:29
Seeing a heron with a 3+ foot wingspan fly overhead as it grunts out it's loud cry can be something to behold.

They can look just like a pterodactyl when they''re directly overhead; rather startling.

http://i32.tinypic.com/2dq68l.jpg

Alligator
09-14-2009, 08:14
Magic:It may have been a great horned owl.

Not so magic:A woman was killed at Vendeventner with an axe.

Seeing a heron with a 3+ foot wingspan fly overhead as it grunts out it's loud cry can be something to behold.

They can look just like a pterodactyl when they''re directly overhead; rather startling.

http://i32.tinypic.com/2dq68l.jpgI enjoy seeing these birds as well and think the same thing--looks prehistoric.

Spokes
09-14-2009, 08:52
I like seeing owls but keyed in on the mention of a "spooky fog" in the thread.

While hiking through the Smokies this year I witnessed a large column of fog drift straight down from the sky. As it reached the ground the fog wisped slowly back upwards in small circles. Looking up, I swear I saw the outline of a womans face in this tube of fog.

The entire scene resembled an angel in a long white flowing gown drifting down out of the clouds.

This vision stays with me and I now understand how folklore of "woods people" or other supernatural beings may have began.

OldStormcrow
09-14-2009, 09:54
You were refering to perhaps, this chap?

http://rlv.zcache.com/knight_owl_card-p137147834368819905tdne_210.jpg

Elder
09-14-2009, 12:00
:-? Wise owls frequently shadow hikers in the evenings..

We stir up the small critters that are their dinner! :D

Very cool experience.

DrRichardCranium
09-14-2009, 12:08
When I was a kid I loved hearing horror stories at night when we were camping.

MikenSalem
09-14-2009, 12:53
Nice story about the bird, nice horror story for the kids. Nothing like a little excitement for youngsters especially at the right time and place, and that really was it. Great moral too; you shouldn't hike alone, you shouldn't take up with people you don't know or bad things could happen to you. It might even keep one of them out of trouble some day, they won't forget it.
I think all experiences are collective from the life you lead, the gear you carry to what you had for supper leading to the camaraderie shared. For some it's having a few beverages and enjoying one another's tails around the fire for others it's spiritual in many forms. Nice Christian bashing there Dr. Doolittle, shame you puked on the cool post of the owl to do it.

sheepdog
09-14-2009, 13:06
Nice story about the bird, nice horror story for the kids. Nothing like a little excitement for youngsters especially at the right time and place, and that really was it. Great moral too; you shouldn't hike alone, you shouldn't take up with people you don't know or bad things could happen to you. It might even keep one of them out of trouble some day, they won't forget it.
I think all experiences are collective from the life you lead, the gear you carry to what you had for supper leading to the camaraderie shared. For some it's having a few beverages and enjoying one another's tails around the fire for others it's spiritual in many forms. Nice Christian bashing there Dr. Doolittle, shame you puked on the cool post of the owl to do it.
Yep Christians are human and sometimes do dumb things. As long as people expect Christians to be perfect; they will always be dissapointed. Not perfect, just forgiven.

saimyoji
09-14-2009, 13:17
Did the owl inquire about who does your cooking?

try again.....wingspan 6-7 feet......

Chaco Taco
09-14-2009, 14:38
Did the owl look like this one?

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs27/300W/i/2008/105/6/8/Mrs_Brisby_and_the_Great_Owl_by_Dracunnum.jpg

emerald
09-14-2009, 15:06
try again.....wingspan 6-7 feet......

It was bigger than life in the storyteller's imagination. If the storyteller says it was an owl and it had a 6-7 foot wingspan, then it did.

FritztheCat
09-14-2009, 15:23
For some it's having a few beverages and enjoying one another's tails around the fire....

Depends on the company but usually I just like hearing tales. :D

Sorry Mike, couldn't resist!

drastic_quench
09-14-2009, 15:31
That sounds like a true crime story, not horror. Ghosts are one thing, this was another. What a douche, regardless of his religion.

bpitt
09-14-2009, 15:36
Wait...you mean to tell me that you had a close encounter with a big ol' owl, and didn't bother to ask him how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? Man, what is this world coming too....

MikenSalem
09-14-2009, 15:50
Depends on the company but usually I just like hearing tales. :D

Sorry Mike, couldn't resist!

OH MY! :D..... hey wait a... Bad kitty :mad: BAD

MikenSalem
09-14-2009, 15:58
Wait...you mean to tell me that you had a close encounter with a big ol' owl, and didn't bother to ask him how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? Man, what is this world coming too....

Me thinks that'll get you the same as wiping wif' the spotted owl. Best to leave owls alone.
Did ya know! :D Owl poop is the slickest substance known to man, used on Apollo moon shots to grease'm up before blast off !!

shuddup Fritz! Bad kitty

Jonnycat
09-14-2009, 17:15
http://i26.tinypic.com/2rze98n.jpg

sylvia_claire
09-14-2009, 23:34

wait are you acusing the original poster of christain bashing or was something taken out by mods here?

Tinker
09-15-2009, 00:05
wait are you acusing the original poster of christain bashing or was something taken out by mods here?

I didn't take it that way and I'm a Christian.
I don't think it's a good idea to tell horror stories to kids, I don't care who you or they are. Getting kids scared so you can be amused by their terror isn't my idea of a mature thing to do, Christian or not.

MikenSalem
09-15-2009, 00:50

Exactly !

LyttleBryan
09-15-2009, 10:42
I'd kill for pictures of that owl.

LyttleBryan
09-15-2009, 10:42
http://i26.tinypic.com/2rze98n.jpg

No I'll be having nightmares.

Gray Blazer
09-15-2009, 11:54
Me thinks that'll get you the same as wiping wif' the spotted owl. Best to leave owls alone.
Did ya know! :D Owl poop is the slickest substance known to man, used on Apollo moon shots to grease'm up before blast off !!

shuddup Fritz! Bad kitty

Grease who up? Man, I'm getting a funny mental picture on that one. Inconceivable!!

kanga
09-15-2009, 12:10

Exactly !

i is confused...:confused:

saimyoji
09-15-2009, 12:55

forget your helmet today?

MikenSalem
09-15-2009, 13:09

I'm so glad you agree! :banana shameful :eek: thats all it is........

Reid
09-15-2009, 14:31
Horror stories were quite scary. But not quite as bad as the time my brother told me there wasn't a Santa Clause. I really wanted to believe even though my parents told me there wasn't one. I still persisted. My brother then took me into the attic and showed me all my presents. That SOB.

Wise Old Owl
09-15-2009, 21:08
Hey Jonny Cat - thank's for the memory of the "Clash of the Titans" owl good movie back in the day!

sheepdog
09-15-2009, 21:16
forget your helmet today?
but her shoes are sprayed

sheepdog
09-15-2009, 21:18
Hey Jonny Cat - thank's for the memory of the "Clash of the Titans" owl good movie back in the day!
I was trying to remember where I saw that owl.

sylvia_claire
09-15-2009, 21:46
I'm so glad you agree! :banana shameful :eek: thats all it is........

then again maybe you were just having fun trolling. putting my own religion in the original post I get two things; religion x is morally superior so when a person of relgion x does something harmful they are judged more harshly. How it ends up in my mind is a complement to relgion x (that necessitaties a bit of an insult to other relgions or the non-relegious) coupled by a responsibility for relgion x. I would argue that if you believe the compliment it would be hard to deny the responsibility. for myself I don't believe the compliment whether it be my or another's religion but I would take the responsibility. I don't know if you believe your religion to be morally superior, so I don't even know if this argument applies to you.

MikenSalem
09-16-2009, 00:44
I know of no one who considers their beliefs inferior do you? So why were you also trolling with your original post? You already knew what I meant, it was clearly stated and now you have already agreed with me though you try to hide in ambiguity with the annoying X thing. If you believe in yourself just say so. So no I’m not the person trolling and thank you for acknowledging that it was indeed a swipe at Christians.
I won’t be so ambiguous;
Christianity is unique in that the goal, perfection of the heart or sole, is reached immediately. The actions of the person should be a reflection of that perfection but they are incapable of that even though they are called to it. That’s where to Christians grace is given. There is no requirement in Christianity of a greater responsibility, only one responsibility, to “be perfect” That’s Matt 5:48 if you’re curious what my religion says.
Other religions require a change in actions leading to a heart of perfection. You do the required rites of passage and eventually you enter the next existence or you gain a perfect heart or sole or you just get lucky.
Most of humanity is non-Christian and they require a change in actions to earn the right to be called a Christian or they bash said Christian as fake. Mostly all Christians are considered fake because none can live up to the perfection called for. That is the imposition of their religion over Christianity. But that’s not how Christianity works or it would be a different religion, theirs.
I'll be happy to respond to any PM's on this subject but no more here.

Now; Yall hear about the man who rides from Clingmans Dome to Shuck stack carrying a glass of poison? They say he dumps it into a stream every full moon and the first person who drinks from the water has to take his place riding the mountains in chains for 100 years.... And the rider? He takes the mans place in his home and nobody knows any different.... SO what's the moral to the story? Ain't one, thats a horror story.

Erin
09-16-2009, 00:53
Gosh, the original post made me think about my first EVER night on the AT section. Two owls, barred, calling back and forth while I was snug in my tent near Jerry Cabin.
That was magical.
I have noticed since that owls seem to liven up in in Aug-Sept. too. I was in middle Tennessee a week ago and heard a barred and the beautiful whinney of the screech owl. There is a nice website on owl calls, just google it. They are beautiful creatures and my pictures never turn out well, even if I find the owl.

veteran
09-16-2009, 11:14
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a25/ghostdancer79/Lauras_Album/DSC_0257-2.jpg

ShelterLeopard
09-16-2009, 13:10

Nice- very cool helmet.

Wise Old Owl
09-16-2009, 22:48

Wow I had no Idea you could do that with a titanium cup, imagine if you were in sports!:D