PDA

View Full Version : Kelty Vortec 2

inavacuum
09-13-2009, 22:28
Hey guys! I picked up a kelty vortec 2, unopened with tags still on it for $150! Anyone have any experience with this tent? What is meant when classifying tents as 3 season, 2 season, etc? This tent has some bizarres tuff that i"m not familiar with, where can I go to learn?

Jim Adams
09-13-2009, 22:41
The best 2 man tent that I've ever owned. I liked it so much that after the first one wore out in 12 years, I bought a second one. When first designed it was voted by Backpacker Magazine as the best tent to be in during a hurricane. 2 doors, 2 vestibles, lots of room, easy to set up, free standing and just a touch over 5lbs. You really need to guy it down in big wind but I've never gotten wet in one!
If you decide that it is not what you want, let me know...I'll buy it from you.

Great canoeing tent for 1 person.

geek

EasternBox
09-14-2009, 11:00
Kelty has never let me down.

sixhusbands
09-14-2009, 11:18
I have the tent for a long time (not sure how long ) and never had any issues with it. I have even used it for winter camping and it held up just fine under serveral inches of snow. I do use a ground cloth and I suspect that this why that it has lasted so long. You got a great tent at fair price which should last a long time.

Enjoy it!

inavacuum
09-14-2009, 11:59
thanks guys!

So does anyone know what is meant by a 3 season tent vs. a 2 or 4 season tent?

tentman
09-14-2009, 12:35
A 3 season tent is meant for spring, summer and fall but no snow. A 4 season tent is a tent capable of handling a snow load which also means it must have aluminum poles. All tents with fiberglass poles are 3 season tents, because for various reasons fiberglass poles tend to break in weather colder than 40 degrees. Campmor categorizes all fiberglass poled tents as 3 season. 3.5 season tents are tents with aluminum poles but without the structure to either hold up a snow load or windows and vents that can not be closed to keep out blowing or drifting snow. 4 season tents are great for colder weather and may not be suited for anything other than colder or winter weather due to weight or a lack of windows to vent heat in the hot weather. I hope that helps.

inavacuum
09-14-2009, 15:49
ok thanks!

inavacuum
09-15-2009, 21:24
ground sheet/footprint.

is this needed? How will I keep water from entering through the floor/seams on the side?

lazy river road
09-15-2009, 22:52
some people say their a wast of weight...I say their essential for various reasons

1. Keep your tent floor from puncturing when on rougher terrain
2. Provides an emergency shelter in emergency situation (tie 2 ends to two trees, stake down other two ends, hikeing poles in middle waalaah)
3. Keeps tent floor clean and imo making it easier to pack back in bag allowing you to keep dirty cloth on outside of pack
4. you can lay it down on a shelter floor/forest floor so you can keep you sleeping pad and bag clean when cowboy camping or from a shelter floor