PDA

View Full Version : Hike then canoe

spacecharge
09-14-2009, 11:15
Has anyone hiked the AT from Harpers Ferry to Front Royal one way and then
used a canoe for the return trip? :-?

Please let me know. Want to try this next year if possible. We have a canoe that we would like to drop off at the end, drive back to the start and hike to it.
Just need to know a safe place to leave a canoe.

Thanks

spacecharge
09-14-2009, 17:29
Anybody? Bueller??

Jack Tarlin
09-14-2009, 19:04
I know lots of folks who've canoed this section INSTEAD of hiking it, but I'm not sure I can think of anyone who did both. Sounds like fun, tho. For information, you might want to contact the Outfitter in Rockfish Gap, near Waynesboro; they can probably give youinformation on canoe rentals, shuttle, etc.

ultralytenment
09-14-2009, 19:15
Well I live in Harpers Ferry and spend a lot of time hiking and camping in Shenandoah National Park and George Washington National Forest. I pass through Front Royal at least twice a month, and I'd be willing to assist, if you're interested.

I'm getting married next month and have a little one on the way, so I'm not going anywhere. I'd definitely be able to help out. PM me if you like.

Blissful
09-14-2009, 19:47
You just have to watch the water levels. This time of year, the levels are too low in the Shenadoah, usually. Esp this year as we've had no tropical activity.

You might consider it in late May.

johnnybgood
09-14-2009, 20:07
Contact Front Royal Canoe Company .
I'm quite sure this is something they can help you with.

www.frontroyalcanoe.com (http://www.frontroyalcanoe.com)

Jim Adams
09-15-2009, 02:17
paddle north (down stream) and hike south...waaaaay easier trip.

geek

Pedaling Fool
09-15-2009, 08:21
I've never mixed hiking and canoeing, but I have canoed the Potomac, in the vicinity of HF and FR. It's a great trip, best done after a hike for recuperation. It's a great upper body workout if you go upstream, but you can drink beer all day if you go downstream.