PDA

View Full Version : Who Has Hiked the Long Trail

lazy river road
09-14-2009, 13:30
I plan on thru hikeing the Long Trail this summer. Leaving late June returning late July. Any pieces of advice....did people enjoy this trail. I heard its a beatiful trail through some really pretty areas. Advice...suggestions....encouragement

Jack Tarlin
09-14-2009, 13:53
Write Jester2000 who hiked a few years ago and had a great time doing so.

A-Train
09-14-2009, 14:12
It's a tough trail, but a rewarding one. I re-hiked the AT portion in 04' and hiked the split to Canada in September 06' (a great month to hike!)

Carry as little food as possible and keep your pack weight low. There are plenty of places to re-fuel and you don't need to carry more than 4 days anywhere.

Take the short side trail to Belvidere Mtn and climb the fire tower. On a clear day it's one of the best views of northern New England.

Definitely don't skip the Long Trail Tavern in Johnson.

Highly advice watching the sunset/rise from Bromley ski area.

Try and hit Mt Abe (and the whole App Gap to Lincoln Gap), Mansfield, Camel's Hump, Jay Peak in good weather as the going is borderline dangerous in wet conditions. If you have time hunker down in one of the many Lean-to's with a book!

There will be significantly less people north of Rt 4, which can be nice.

For June/July make sure you have a tent and Deet. The bugs can be bad.

Have fun, it's a great trail!

rcli4
09-14-2009, 14:26
Jan Liteshoe and I hiked it. She wrote a book about our adventure It is available at

http://funfreedom.com/

It is hard, but to me it was worth every step. Mark Hudson aka Skeeter just finished. I think you can get in contact with him through the ALDHA. Mags on this site has an excellent journal somewhere. .

gravityman
09-14-2009, 14:42
Hiked the northern part to the AT in 2004 to make sure we wanted to do a through in 2005 of the AT.

I can honestly say we'll never hike it again. There are a lot better trails out there, especially out west. I would only chose it if you felt like you wanted to stay on the east coast.

Gravity

Jester2000
09-14-2009, 15:24
Definitely don't skip the Long Trail Tavern in Johnson.

Unfortunately, I've heard that the Long Trail Tavern closed last year. I don't know if they've reopened (I'll ask Skeeter when I see him); I know they closed because of legal issues and slow business.

Alternately, perhaps I'll say that they closed because of something hikers did. Yeah, that might be fun.

It's a shame that it closed. It was a great stop for us in 2002.

Yahtzee
09-14-2009, 16:43
When I stayed at the Long Trail Tavern in 2004, the owner was having a tough time of it. His wife had recently passed and he wasn't holding up so well. But talking to the staff at the bar, his goodness was legendary. He let me and my crew sleep in the bar after closing. Great joint.

Don't let the fact that the Tavern is closed keep you outta Johnson. It's a small town that doesn't seem to offer much, but if you hang out around town long enough you will meet some cool people.

For a trail that is less than 300 miles long, it really gets into your blood. Good luck.

Jester2000
09-14-2009, 17:11
Don't let the fact that the Tavern is closed keep you outta Johnson. It's a small town that doesn't seem to offer much, but if you hang out around town long enough you will meet some cool people.

I've got to second this. Very cool. Plus, it's the easiest hitch I've ever encountered.

Mags
09-14-2009, 17:21
Johnson is an easy hitch with a good sized grocery store. Perfect for the last 50 mile push north.

Too bad about the Long Trail Tavern. Any place with Long Trail Ale on tap is gonna be good... :)

lazy river road
09-15-2009, 08:51
I def plan on using a tent...I am bringing my Marmot Aura 3p, I know its a little heavy but me and my GF are going to split the weight when we eventually get around to hikeing toogether. I cant afford a one man tent right now so ill be carrying the xtra weight of the bigger tent although 6pds aint so bad. I dont plan on using deet. Bug screen for face and natural bug repelants are gonna be for me...I dont trust deet. I want to stay on the east coast and I have a love and facisination of VT one of the reasons I want to do the LT. I also want to do a thru hike and the LT seems the most pratical. Or do people suggest doing a section of the AT for a month instead...If i sectioned hiked for a month on the AT starting in mid late june through early august..what section would you suggest I do...where would you start and would you go NOBO or SOBO

warraghiyagey
09-15-2009, 09:44
Vonfrick and I hiked it in June and July, it was her second time through. . . it can be wet and cold up there but it's a great trail and I'm looking forward to doing it again soon. . . :sun - Hope for sunshine!. . .

warraghiyagey
09-15-2009, 09:45
If i sectioned hiked for a month on the AT starting in mid late june through early august..what section would you suggest I do...where would you start and would you go NOBO or SOBO
Start at Katahdin - head south. . . :sun:sun:sun:sun:sun

lazy river road
09-15-2009, 10:13
^^^ how cold does it get would a 40 degree bag be warm enough for me...are we talk in the 30-40 des or 10-20 ties... during June July Season

Cookerhiker
09-15-2009, 23:15
I hiked it in 2007 - here's my journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6248). I did an inside-out hike. Started at Rt. 4 andhiked north to Canada. Returned to Rt. 4 and hiked south to Mass. I recommend the time of year I hiked - mid-August to mid-September when it was warm (hot some nights) but vrtually no mosquitos. Of course Fall would also be nice.

As you're probably aware by now, the north is more strenuous and the last part from Rt. 15 to Canada is rather remote so make sure you plan your resupplys carefully.

Sorry I can't add more now but I'm on limited computer time away from home.

A-Train
09-15-2009, 23:20
^^^ how cold does it get would a 40 degree bag be warm enough for me...are we talk in the 30-40 des or 10-20 ties... during June July Season

40 degree bag is adequate for a late jUNE/July hike, but pack a warm hat and some long johns just in case.

I got some cold nights in early June, but by the 4th week in June temps should be pretty consistently warm.

lazy river road
09-16-2009, 07:51
cookerhiker, I plan on going SOBO

lazy river road
09-16-2009, 07:55
^^^posted to early before I could finish typing oopss...as i was saying I am planning on going SOBO with the plan of starting the hike out with a fairley heavy pack with a weeks worth of food untill I can hike some of the remote northern places and get down south where re-supply is easier...My GF also plans on meeting me at the end of my hike and were going on vacation afterwards and figured it would be easier for her to pick me up on the MA/VT bourder

lazy river road
09-16-2009, 08:32
ps. cookerhiker nice journals read a couple the insight is very inlightning...ive been reading lots of journals lately I feel it is a good way for me to get mentally prepared for the journey to come

BobTheBuilder
09-16-2009, 08:59
Buddha just finished the Long Trail a week or two ago. Her journal is on Trailjournals.

Jester2000
09-16-2009, 10:05
I hiked it in 2007 - here's my journal (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6248). I did an inside-out hike. Started at Rt. 4 andhiked north to Canada. Returned to Rt. 4 and hiked south to Mass. I recommend the time of year I hiked - mid-August to mid-September when it was warm (hot some nights) but vrtually no mosquitos. Of course Fall would also be nice.

As you're probably aware by now, the north is more strenuous and the last part from Rt. 15 to Canada is rather remote so make sure you plan your resupplys carefully.

Sorry I can't add more now but I'm on limited computer time away from home.

I thought I was the only person to hike the Long Trail this way. Your bag should be adequate. Take A-Trains's advice.

lazy river road
09-17-2009, 11:34
just wanted to put this thread back up on the board to see if any one else responded...from what ive been learning i hear this is a super muddy trail....i am beginning to realize that their would be sections of the AT that have nice weather this time of year but something is drawing me to thickets of the VT desolate forest...any one else planning on doing this hike this summer

Jester2000
09-17-2009, 13:02
I think the mud issue is why a lot of people hike the LT in August or September. The trail seems to dry out by then, but the water sources are still running.

A-Train
09-17-2009, 13:08
I think the mud issue is why a lot of people hike the LT in August or September. The trail seems to dry out by then, but the water sources are still running.

Very True. Honestly Lazy River, it depends on the year and how much rain has fell in the few weeks before you start. I'd imagine this entire summer was a slop fest on the LT as it was in late summer on the NPT. But during a dry summer like 02' or 06' I'd imagine mud wouldn't be much of a problem.

Jan LiteShoe
09-17-2009, 13:39
Very True. Honestly Lazy River, it depends on the year and how much rain has fell in the few weeks before you start. I'd imagine this entire summer was a slop fest on the LT as it was in late summer on the NPT. But during a dry summer like 02' or 06' I'd imagine mud wouldn't be much of a problem.

True, dat.
We hiked in a drought year, virtually no mud - and had trouble finding water at reliable sources. (Jester was right ahead of us for part of the hike, we enjoyed reading his curses and moans).
But the most aggravation you'll likely have is damp and mud, particularly when the AT and LT are cojoined; it can be a mudpit.

We didn't hike as early as you plan to, but heard warnings of the black flies in June/July. There were only a couple left by early August, and only at water sources. Still, they pulled out a chunk of ankle and flew away with it.

Be sure to stop at The HydeAway Inn. It's not a bad place to leave your car and shuttle north, hiking south back to the Inn. Spur and ready just did the LT that way.
Margaret the proprietor is great with hikers, extremely helpful, does your laundry and the grub is fantastic - AYCE breakfast in '02. For supper, be sure to order the "Apple Pie a la Clyde." New specialty of the house. :)

lazy river road
09-17-2009, 13:59
Im fully prepared to get muddy...the black flies are going to suck but i hope my head net will take care of that...you can have my ankles but you will never take my face...i keep flip flooping....i have this desire to do the LT and be lost in total desolate...but the rain and flys seems to deter me a bit...vermont has always pulled me towards its moutains. I have one month to hike from mid june to late july. about a month to a month and a half....could do a section of the AT of PCT...but like the ideah of an end to end hike...it also appeals to me bc its the first long distance trail in the US. Does any one have any suggestions on this...should I just do the LT or are their sections of the AT/PCT that are going to be amazing. Cost is also a factor...I like in MD and could get up north pretty cheaply by grey hounding it

Jester2000
09-17-2009, 14:09
. . . Jester was right ahead of us for part of the hike, we enjoyed reading his curses and moans . . .

I was hiking with Funkee. He's a bad influence on me.

Jan LiteShoe
09-17-2009, 14:15
I was hiking with Funkee. He's a bad influence on me.

Au contraire! The ravings gave us heart.

We figured, heck, if past AT thru-hikers were sucking wind and bitching, we were doing alright to be hanging in there (sucking wind and bitching with the best of them...)
:banana

Cookerhiker
09-21-2009, 22:53
ps. cookerhiker nice journals read a couple the insight is very inlightning...ive been reading lots of journals lately I feel it is a good way for me to get mentally prepared for the journey to come

Much thanks. Have a good hike:)

JoeHiker
09-23-2009, 18:36
I attempted it in 2005. Got as far south as Rolston Rest Shelter before a foot of snow appeared and ended the hike.

I strongly recommend hammocking. The LT is perfect for it. Spent 3 nights in shelters and went to the hammock, never to return.

lazy river road
09-23-2009, 19:24
Joe Hiker when did you atempt it...im going in june through mid july sobo...I plan on using a tent (my aura 3p) bc of the bugs at the time....I also dont see how hammocks can be comfortable at least for me imo...sleeping with a bent back gives me back achs just thinking about it...then im hopeing to continue on through Mass on the AT untill its time to go home....

JoeHiker
09-24-2009, 11:30
I did it in October because I like hiking through the fall foliage.

The thing about the hammock (at least the Hennessey) is that you don't sleep with a bent back. In fact, the surface you sleep on is flat. You can even sleep on your side. That's the advantage of the asymmetrical shape. You twist a little and suddenly you have a flat bottom.

Seriously it's extremely comfortable. Far more so than sleeping on the ground, IMHO. That doesn't mean I'm telling you to run out and buy one. If you can, I would suggest you find someone who has one and try it. But I think if you did, you would love it.

I think you'll be fine if you tent but it closes down your options. I brought a tarptent on that hike as well -- part of the purpose was to evaluate the two shelters and see which I preferred. But when I hit the Jonesville Post Office, I sent the Tarp Tent home. There were a few shelters where finding tent space was rather iffy or nonexistent. The first week, when it rained every day, there was no way I wanted to put my tent on the ground. And it only took a couple nights in the shelters for me to realize -- never again.

But whereever you go on the Long Trail, you are rarely more than a few feet from two trees that are the right distance

JoeHiker
09-24-2009, 11:31
Oh, I went SOBO myself

DavidNH
09-24-2009, 12:06
I plan on thru hikeing the Long Trail this summer. Leaving late June returning late July. Any pieces of advice....did people enjoy this trail. I heard its a beatiful trail through some really pretty areas. Advice...suggestions....encouragement

Hi Lazy River Road,

I hiked this trail in 2002 and 2004. It is a wonderful trail but very strenuous.

The A.T. portion, the southern most 100 miles, is where most of the mud will be found and it is also the easiest terrain of the trail. I would suggest, if you could, to do the trail in august or even September to have better conditions vis a vis mud, bugs, and fewer crowds. This is a gorgeous trail.

On the LT not to be missed are:

1) Goddard shelter and view from the fire tower atop Gooddared Peak,
2) view from fire tower on Stratton Mtn.
3) stay the night at Stratton pond and./or Little Rock pond. yeah you have to give care taker a few bucks but so what? these are gorgeous spots
4) spend night at Inn at Long trail. Very hiker friendly and awesome breakfasts.
5) try and go over Jay peak with blue skies. The 360 degree view from summit is fabulous!

It is north of route 4 that the trail eventually gets really hard, particularly going over Mansfield!

If you can allow yourself a whole month, as apposed to 21-25 days, you will enjoy it more as you can keep your pace moderate and even have a couple zero days.

DavidNH

Jester2000
09-24-2009, 12:17
Excellent post!

lazy river road
09-24-2009, 12:25
This is all great info...i dont know any one with a hammock bc i dont know any one really involved in the hiker community...im just getting into it....illl call harpers ferry outfitters and see if they will let me check out one of their hammocks...to lay in just to get the feel...are hammocks expensive....do any of them have bug netting that you can put around them? I def do not want to end up sleeping in shelters...JH was it just to muddy to set up a tent? at least if its muddy then then the ground will be softer :)

lazy river road
09-24-2009, 12:30
just looked at hennesy hammocks and should of looked before asking some of my ?'s...ooppss...looks cool but looks expensive....

Cookerhiker
09-24-2009, 17:07
.....On the LT not to be missed are:

1) Goddard shelter and view from the fire tower atop Gooddared Peak,
2) view from fire tower on Stratton Mtn.
3) stay the night at Stratton pond and./or Little Rock pond. yeah you have to give care taker a few bucks but so what? these are gorgeous spots
4) spend night at Inn at Long trail. Very hiker friendly and awesome breakfasts.
5) try and go over Jay peak with blue skies. The 360 degree view from summit is fabulous!......
DavidNH

I would add to this (1) the Lincoln Ridge aka Monroe Skyway from Lincoln Gap to Appalachian Gap particularly Mt. Abraham where you get your first (hiking NOBO that is) views of Lake Champlain and (2) Camels Hump, the best summit on the LT IMO because of the lack of roads, ski resorts, tramways etc. and the views.

Rich01
09-28-2009, 20:55
<my2cents> The further north you get the more exciting/challenging the trail and the more beautiful the scenery. I honestly don't know why everyone loves the Long Trail Tavern so much - it's a dive that happens to have a few excellent beers on tap, but awful food (even to a hungry hiker's palate). Though Johnson is a nice place to resupply.
The Inn at the Long Trail, however, is a can't miss. Hitch down the road to Bridgewater Corners to visit the Long Trail Brewery itself for some excellent food and even better beer. And I agree, don't pass up any of the fire towers when the weather is nice. </my2cents>
-Rich
(Monkey Pillow SB E2E 08')

Mags
09-28-2009, 23:40
5) try and go over Jay peak with blue skies. The 360 degree view from summit is fabulous!
DavidNH

The view from Jays Peak on my last day of the LT hike was what convinced me that I had to do the AT. (Every day a different view..and some like this ?!?!) 7 AM. Had the summit all to myself and could see the rolling hills to the north poking through the clouds. Good stuff.

(Wish I had a better photo..but it was 12 yrs ago! )

http://www.pmags.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6346&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=119b28e3dc3f09387b46a5aa240c9c76

JoeHiker
09-29-2009, 10:03
just looked at hennesy hammocks and should of looked before asking some of my ?'s...ooppss...looks cool but looks expensive....

Yeah, if you get all the stuff you need it isn't cheap, particularly with the under quilt. But I think if you try one, you'll soon be scheming about how you are going to save your money to buy one.

In the meantime you'll be fine with a tent.

Rambler
09-29-2009, 10:40
It is relatively easy to make your own hammock and if you make it double layered you will have pockets below the first layer where you can place a sleeping pad. This will give you enough of a layer underneath, so you do not need a quilt. In summer, (June/July) you would not need an underquilt. Just hang a layer, like a ground cloth, underneath the hammock just to block a draft. Look up "Speer Hammocks" You can find how to make your own. It is possible to do so without any sewing.
http://hammockcamping.com/

Here is the double-bottomed hammock MYO:
http://www.imrisk.com/zhammock/zhammock.htm

I have sectioned hiked the AT end-to-end over three summers, all in August. The trail divides nicely into 100 mile sections. With the exception of hiking south from Killington to the MA border, I hiked north. In August, the southernmost section is filled with AT thru-hikers. You can learn a lot from them. The most important thing I learned from them was that I had the ability to hike at a faster pace. I learned to increase daily mileage.
In the AT/LT section I often stayed at shelters, but not in the shelters. I used a hammock which meant I could sleep most anywhere, no longer needing flat or non-rock ground, just two trees.
Hiking the AT/LT , I had a lot of rain and mud, but I got used to it. However, not having dry feet meant blisters, but I have learned to prepare better and have had little problems since.
Hiking the sections north of the AT meant fewer people, even finding myself alone in shelters. I stayed in many shelters north of the AT.
The Green Mountain Club in VT offers workshops on hiking the AT given by thru-hikers usually in early June or May. Buy the End-to-Enders'Guide" from them, too. (greenmountainclub.org) Here is another new site about the LT:
http://www.longtrailhiking.info/
Of course, if you complete the AT you will have hiked 100 miles of the AT, too. So, it is inevitable, you will start hiking all of the AT.

skeeterbait
09-29-2009, 18:51
Realize this info is now behind the curve...
When I hiked into Johnson the Long Trail Tavern was closed. Word was that it had been sold and was being worked on before reopening. Looked like work was in progress but did not see anyone there.

There is no place to stay in Johnson, but although I missed it on this trip I HIGHLY recommend the Awesome View Hostel (listed in the 'End-to-Enders Guide'). Really great people and the money goes to the Long Trail Protection fund.

skeeter

Jan LiteShoe
09-29-2009, 21:15
Realize this info is now behind the curve...
When I hiked into Johnson the Long Trail Tavern was closed. Word was that it had been sold and was being worked on before reopening. Looked like work was in progress but did not see anyone there.

There is no place to stay in Johnson, but although I missed it on this trip I HIGHLY recommend the Awesome View Hostel (listed in the 'End-to-Enders Guide'). Really great people and the money goes to the Long Trail Protection fund.

skeeter

How about this fine rendition of a very recent Long Trail hike?
:sun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kwG0G7nbgU

Johnny Thunder
09-30-2009, 13:14
My girlfriend and I End-to-Ended this summer around the same time that you're looking at. Started in Dalton, MA on July 20th and finished 5 weeks later. 7 zero's (including three days on an impromptu mounting of Marcy and slide down the Avalanche Pass).

Feel free to email me with any specific questions.

I felt that guidebooks were inessential on account of the fact that you probably should carry the one VT LT map. It's good enough to get you around. Otherwise, you'll be able to ask questions of locals and such. It does lack pay to stay site information.

Be prepared to become lost on top of every ski hill north of Maine Junction.

It's not as difficult as most say. If the comparison is to Southern Maine then I'd say that the Mahoosucs were harder. My friend Bigglesworth gave me a good estimate before starting...you should be able to comfortably cover 2/3 in the North of what you could hike in the South. That said, our longest day was our last (18 miles).

You can go into town WAY more frequently than most people believe. Hitching was easy. Most times we'd wait about 10 minutes to get rides. Often they'd be two or three different roads in the same car. We never carried more than 3 full days worth of food.

There're creeks next to most major in/out roads so you don't need to pay money for a place to stay and shower. But, be prepared to get wet. Really, really wet. So laundry might be a high priority.

Don't wear Gore Tex boots. Don't bring a down jacket (I did and it was a super-sweet pillow). Don't bring a Light-my-Fire spork. Don't expect to find a lot of stealth spots North of Maine Junction. Don't skip out on the Long Trail Brewery. The rocker fits nicely under one of their patches. Don't miss all three alpine slides (Bromley, Pico, Stowe). Don't let any gear issues get to you past Rutland. Don't be afraid to ask questions of Thruhikers. Don't miss out on camping on top of the ski mountains. Some have "warming huts" on top (Bromley and Lincoln peaks come to mind).

Hitching back home was also way easier than people say here. If you can get South East from Journey's end it's fine. We got from Canada to Dublin, NH in 4 hours and two rides. That's something like 275 miles!

Good luck.

lazy river road
09-30-2009, 14:21
JonnyThunder why no gortex boots...i was planning on wearing my vasque zepher II. I like the ankle support and are high enough that hopefully the mud wont seap in....i know they may become a little clamy but I have really bad knees and want a super supportive shoe....I also decided on my hammock...im gonna get the warbonnet BB...havent decided on a tarp yet and will probally use a blue pad as under warmth....I plan on going NOBO lygistical reason...but hearing how difficult the north is i may change my mind by next June....Jonny I do have more specific question that I will def email you with as my list grows....I was also considering signing up for a end to end mentor through the GMC....did you do this or do you want to be my mentor...I still have to decide on a pack im between the Osprey Argon 70 and the catalyst...I like the Osprey bc i can use it in the winter (i live in MD) and would like a year round pack.....I def will be at the LT Brewery on of my favorites Brewerys in america....Ive been hanging around Hammock Forum as well gaining lots of info...would it be easier to find stealth spots in a hammock north of Maine Junction....

Jester2000
09-30-2009, 15:37
My girlfriend and I End-to-Ended this summer around the same time that you're looking at. Started in Dalton, MA on July 20th and finished 5 weeks later. 7 zero's (including three days on an impromptu mounting of Marcy and slide down the Avalanche Pass).
. .

How did your girlfriend feel about your impromptu mounting of Marcy?

Note: JT got lost at ski resorts because he became addicted to alpine slides.

Jester2000
09-30-2009, 15:40
I think most people have come to the conclusion that on a long distance hike, there's no way that Gore-Tex is going to keep your feet dry, but a Gore-Tex shoe WILL stay wet longer.

Johnny Thunder
09-30-2009, 16:54
Jester: (re: my mounting of Marcy) Dude, she was there. High fives all around!!!

Gore tex is evil at any point in a hike past day 1. Maybe even past hour 1. I also favor supportive boots and have a heck of a time finding ones without Goretex. Garmont makes a model of low and high top boots with no lining. I bought them at an EMS in Lake Placid and couldn't find a way to make them break. Check it.

You should have no problem finding a place to hang anywhere on the LT. I can put you in touch with Cookie Monster who E2E'd about a week after we finished. He's a hanger.

Ummm...as far as packs go...wait until you have all your stuff and see if you can fit it into something smaller than a 70 liter. I have a hard time imagining a need for that much space (even in the winter). Jess and I used 50 liter packs and had too much space (I had a Circuit with everything inside and she had a Gregory Jade with no Brain [cue lots of zombie jokes]). You should always keep your pack stuffed as tight as possible b/c balancing is easier with weight close to your back.

I'll be happy to answer all of your questions when you have them together (or even one at a time). We didn't have mentors because we'd both hiked the AT in 08 and the Long Trail seemed like an easy stretch of the legs.

Johnny T.

PS. I only got lost on mountain tops which were accessible by summer-run ski lifts. Coincidence? (climbing onto soap box) I'm ok with sparse blazing just so long as all road and trail intersections are well marked. It seems like the GMC relies on hikers following the "obvious path" over and through ski trails instead of actually blazing them. Problems arise when Sugarbush ski co runs a couple dozen picture takers up the mountain every hour.

lazy river road
09-30-2009, 21:03
JT thanks ill def be PM'ing you with some question and how do I get in touch with cookie monster does he hang around here or on hammock forums? Wow I never realized how many people dislike gortex...i really wish I would of found this site before my yellow stone/tetons trip this summer where I bough expensive gortex shoes....a wisper light international.....a great but semi heavy tent (marmot aura 3p but ill use it when me and my GF go on trips or make her sleep in it by her self while i sleep in my new Warbonnet BB after I order it....i also saw some where that hammocks are colder to sleep in then tents is this true...is this because of the lack of insulation and not being inside....Ill also check out some 50L bags...but one of the first things I learned was to get my gear first then my Pack so im gonna def be waiting to buy a pack untill i decide on my final gear list...

Jester2000
10-01-2009, 10:30
Hammocks will sleep colder because of the airflow underneath you, but you can compensate for this. There should be all kinds of threads regarding underquilts in the hammock forum.

lazy river road
10-01-2009, 10:34
thx jester thats what i figured ive been reading a lot on hammock forum...so much information...i love it

Yukon
10-01-2009, 10:38
My Asolo 520's have Gore-Tex and my feet have never gotten wet, guess I'm doing something wrong :-?

Jester2000
10-01-2009, 10:41
My Asolo 520's have Gore-Tex and my feet have never gotten wet, guess I'm doing something wrong :-?

Congratulations!

JoeHiker
10-02-2009, 15:30
Every time I've hike the Long trail (not the whole thing, mind you -- the most I ever did was 2/3 before snow knocked me out) it has been fairly wet. I've worn gore-tex shoes each time and my feet almost never got wet. Maybe once a trip.

But when they did, it wasn't really bad at all. They dried out like they would in any other shoe. Actually it seemed like better since I wasn't wearing porous shoes that let the water in. There are so many steps on that trail into just a bit of water that would get your feet wet again in normal shoes but not in waterproof ones. My feet get numb easily so that was important to me.

I wouldn't want to wear the boots regardless -- too bulky for me -- but I think the shoes get an unfarily bad rap.

Dogwood
10-02-2009, 23:14
As already said the northern part is more strenuous. If you start out at the northern terminus heading SOBO, as I did, either hit the trail in shape or work into the hike slowly doing shorter mileage days to begin.

The short above timberline areas like Mt Mannsfield and Camelback can be very windy, exposed, and see quickly changing inclement weather roll in. Views are great if the weather cooperates.

Shelters occur rather routinely. I carried no shelter. That was Oct remind you not the busier hiking months of June and July.

I never hauled more than 5 days resupply. No need to with the adequate resupply options. Hitching in Vermont is one of the easiest states to hitch in. I've hitched in 44 states. I would say go UL; certainly possible thru-hiking this trail. I never carried more than 1.5 L of water at a time. Even in Oct 07 water was regularly found.

It can be a muddy trail that doesn't dry out quickly. A lot of the tread is shaded. The peat/mud can be deep. I would expect encontering mud. If you don't mind hiking with wet muddy feet or can somehow manage to cross the muddy areas on the debris that has been thrown on the trail good luck.

Elevation profiles, especially for the northern end, for the Long Tr can be deceptive. There are many ups and downs of less than 100 ft that don't show up on elev. profiles.

Not a particularly rocky trail overall so IMO heavy supportive boots are not warranted unless one has some specific medical reason or is hauling more than 40 lbs. I wore WP Montrail Hurricane Ridge XCR's for my Oct thru-hike; they worked fine. Felt like slippers. Feet never got hot/sweaty but that was in OCT not June. Rained on me hard for 2 days. The WP Montrail XCRs dried out super quick.

Bring bug dope.

As Johnny Thunder stated consider staying on top of high pts. at ski centers because some have shelters(warming huts) and outstanding views. Also goes true for camping atop fire towers.

Enjoy all the great folks and trail towns in Vermont, truely the Green Mountain state.

Lastly, don't do what I did at Jay Peak going SOBO. I came out of the woods and saw a faint trail going up to the peak on a ski run, as the Long Tr does elsewhere. I followed that to the top thinking it was the Long Tr. When I got to the top the Long Tr. immediately started going steeply back downhill on rough terrain through thick forests. I thought this sucks. I expected some kind of view from atop Jay Peak. Got to the bottom, came out of the woods, and realized, hey, this looks familar. I had just come back down Jay Peak on the official Long Tr that I should have followed UP to Jay Peak instead of following that faint trail up the ski run! SO, back up Jay Peak I climbed for the second time. LESSON - regularly, read the trail description and consult the map before you hike!

JoeHiker
10-03-2009, 13:15
As Johnny Thunder stated consider staying on top of high pts. at ski centers because some have shelters(warming huts) and outstanding views. Also goes true for camping atop fire towers.

Although technically it's against the rules to camp on a lot of those high points so you had better stealth it

Lastly, don't do what I did at Jay Peak going SOBO. I came out of the woods and saw a faint trail going up to the peak on a ski run, as the Long Tr does elsewhere. I followed that to the top thinking it was the Long Tr. When I got to the top the Long Tr. immediately started going steeply back downhill on rough terrain through thick forests. I thought this sucks. I expected some kind of view from atop Jay Peak. Got to the bottom, came out of the woods, and realized, hey, this looks familar. I had just come back down Jay Peak on the official Long Tr that I should have followed UP to Jay Peak instead of following that faint trail up the ski run! SO, back up Jay Peak I climbed for the second time. LESSON - regularly, read the trail description and consult the map before you hike!

I did the exact same thing! Stayed atop Jay peak overnight and the next day came down the trail so happy I was getting a good start. By the time I realized my mistake and got back up top, I had lost over an hour.

Tinker
10-03-2009, 17:14
I section hiked it in the 1990s. It's wilder than the AT up north (comparable to the AT in Maine). Resupply is relatively easy. Hiking the northern section is more difficult than the southern section. Hike it from S to N to get in shape before the difficult stuff starts (north of Rte 17).
Don't miss staying at Stratton and Little Rock ponds.
Spruce Peak and Roundtop were my two favorite shelters (I used shelters whenever I could back before I discovered hammocks).
Celebrating my wife's birthday at The Inn at Long Trail has become a tradition. Their rustic lodge is not to be missed, along with the Irish music and lots of interesting food.
I didn't stay at any hostels or hotels on my trips.

lazy river road
10-03-2009, 18:53
WOWOWOW so much great new info since last time i checked so I have decided to purchase the Warbonnet Black bird probally the 1.7 Double Layer for my sleeping...im not sure what tarp im gonna get...I am in very good shape...I go to the Gym 5 days a week and do at least 3-4 hrs of Cardio a week plus weight train...I know being in trail shap is a bit different but hey if I want to E2E I have to go SOBO...Ill have 31 days to do the trail...havent figured out milage/where ill be re supplying yet...But i plan to take it easy..Enjoy the peacefullness of the woods and enjoy the small vermont towns along the way...I know SOBO is much harder way to go but ill take my time and take it easy...

So my next big question is how do all of you WB'ers keep you pack weight 30 pds and lighter

lazy river road
10-03-2009, 18:59
p.s. again I cant thx you every one enough for all the great info I dont think id be able to plan my trip with at every one's help...is any one planning on doing the LT around this time as well?

Dogwood
10-03-2009, 19:05
From what you said about your fitness level already and attitude 31 days will be more than enough time to enjoy a thru-hike of the LT and a bit of Vermont. ENJOY the journey.

lazy river road
10-03-2009, 19:29
thx dogwood im super xited bout it....could you give a bit more detail about getting lost at Jay's Peak...Im gonna make not of it in my thru hikers guide book and my end to end book...Did you miss the trail when you came out of the woods so you went up the mt to Jays peak...then down and realized the LT continued on top of Jay's peak...what is the best way to navigate across ski slopes..ill have a map and the books and a compass will this help any

JoeHiker
10-04-2009, 15:13
When you are heading SOBO, when you first hit the slope, it kinda looks like you should just walk up it. The trail goes off to your right and continues up the slope roughly parallel. It's easy to miss where the trail goes back into the woods and just walk right up the ski slope.

Somewhere near the summit, the trail pops back out, once again on your RIGHT hand side. At this point, the summit building is a little bit up and to your left. The ski-slope/road goes up there but it also goes straight. If you were to go straight (instead of bearing left up to the lodge), you would come upon the spot where the trail re-enters the woods.

The most important thing to remember when going SOBO is that when you re-enter the woods to go back down the mountain, the road/slope should generally remain on your LEFT hand side. You enter the woods and then start going LEFT and down.

If you find yourself going down with the road/slop on your right hand side, you are probably going NOBO on the section of the trail you inadvertently skipped when walking up.

Dogwood
10-04-2009, 17:12
As you hike SOBO on the official LT you will come to a spot where you exit the woods at the base of one of the ski runs at Jay Peak. The official Long Tr. quickly renters the woods on the right to steeply ascend Jay Peak on a rocky somewhat eroded path. Instead, I followed the faint trail up the steep ski run that roughly parallels the LT going through the woods. This really isn't that big of a deal as at the top of the ski run the official LT pops back out of the woods near a gravel road, joins the faint trail up the ski run, and then the LT continues up to the left to near the summit building. Because I made the bonehead move(no reflection upon you JoeHiker) of not previewing the trail description or map I made the mistaken assumption at the top of the ski run that the official LT almost immediately started back down Jay Peak without barely a view from atop Jay Peak. I was incorrect on so many levels. If I had a compass to realize I was now heading back down in a northerly direction on the wrong side of Jay Peak, or I had read the trail description that states you hike right next to the summit building, or I had consulted the map showing the trail I would have just continued up to the summit building on the LT and realized I had just not hiked up to near the summit on the LT. When I got back to the bottom of the ski run, this time via the LT but having gone NOBO, I realized what I had done. So, back up the official LT SOBO to Jay Peak I hiked. Kinda funny but ridiculously inane at the same time. In hindsight it may have cost me about another hr. to reclimb up to Jay Peak, but I got a good preview of that ski run, so at winter time, when I went skiing down that same ski run, I recognized where I was. I had a good laugh thinking about it then. Wasn't so funny when I had to rehike up to Jay Peak at the end of that long hot Oct hiking day with no water though. WE live, and as I said previously, we learn - REGULARLY, consult the map and trail description! That's what you have maps and trail descriptions for - to help stay on course!

I don't want you to think this is some major issue lazy river road. You don't really need a compass to hike the LT. The tread is clearly marked, at least to most. Even if I had a compass that day I probably wouldn't have consulted it just as I didn't consult my map or trail description in the End to End - Hiking the Long Trail Handbook. Just realize the trail pops back into the woods at the base of the ski run. JoeHiker and myself must somehow be related as we come from the same gene pool or we ate lead paint chips as children. Personally, I blame it on the MSG in McDonalds food I ate as a child.

BTW, the summit/ski lift building was open, had running water, real bathrooms, electricity, and some furniture, including couches, which I promptly passed out on after having climbed up Jay Peak twice in one afternoon!

stranger
10-13-2009, 22:08
I've thru-hiked the LT twice, all I would say it that its tougher than anything along the AT south of New Hampshire, is wet, muddy, and learn to love stinging nettles...

It is a absolutely beautiful trail that I remember like yesterday. You are in for a treat! All I would say it terms of advice is years ago everyone basically did the same thing in terms of resupply (heading nobo):
- Manchester Center - mile 50ish
- Rutland/Inn at Long Trail - mile 100ish
- Jonesville/Richmond - mile 185ish
- Johnson - mile 220ish

But the trail between Killington and Jonesville is a long way, and tough going and it takes some hikers 6-7 days to cover those 80 odd miles, I would strongly recommend going into a place like Middlebury, Bristol or Waitsfield for food, on my first hike I just did the big carry, but during my second hitched into Bristol, much better!

Happy Trails

lazy river road
10-30-2009, 15:52
Thx stranger I deff plan on doing that resupply in Bristol...I plan on going SOBO so im just reversing it but I had what you said in mind (thanks to mags website, thanks mags). IM going to try and even add another re-supply in just bc I have 31 days to hike the trail and im going to take my time. Any suggestions on a good place to take an xtra zero or two or must see places, (im dedicating an entire day to the LT Brewery and really treating my self that day) must do side trails. I want it to be a 29-31 day hike bc im meeting my GF in the South terminus on day 31.

lazy river road
04-30-2010, 13:05
Ok So im bringing this thread back from darks of the dungeons. Since last time I have come a long way. My essentials are

ULA Catalyst
WBBB 1.7 DBL with woopies and tree strap suspension
The Burrow Top Quilt
Winter Ptarmigan Under Quilt

Got most of the ins and outs in regards to gear. Ursack Minor, Cascade trail runners (which I love), my re-supply stops. Im still trying to decide if I want to go NOBO or SOBO. I can choose which ever way I want I just dont know which one? Any one else going to be on the trail between June 22 and July 30th. Im giving my self plenty of time to doo this hike and plan on enjoying every step. Just about two more months.

JoeHiker
04-30-2010, 13:10
I have to say I really liked going SOBO. You get the hard part over first. Not only the hard terrain but the hard part of getting all the way up there. Once you are done, you are in Massachusetts, within cab distance of major train stations.

moon_whisperer
04-30-2010, 14:05
I'm starting from Williamstown on June 8th

warraghiyagey
04-30-2010, 19:25
I'm starting from Williamstown on June 8th
Have a great hike. . . the Long Trail is beautifully different in many ways. . . . :sun:sun

stranger
05-02-2010, 13:11
I've made this trip twice, both nobo, but many years ago now. The following stands out for me about the Long Trail:

- it's the hardest continuous walk I've ever done physically, specifically the 170 miles from Killington to Canada
- it's the most beautiful walk I've ever done, outside of New Zealand
- I wouldn't attempt the push from Killington to Richmond/Jonesville without resupply...I would go into Waitsfield or Bristol, it's about 80 miles and a long 80
- Absolutely bring a tent, the bugs can be crazy, I slept in my tent every night on my first hike, even with completely empty shelters, and nearly every night on my second hike
- Consider going Sobo, the last 100 miles will seem alot easier, if you go Nobo, the trail gets harder as you get stronger, so you might not ever feel "strong"
- Bring your wallet, there are no $40 motel rooms in Vermont, more like $100 B&B's
- I would strongly suggest low gaiters to combat the mud
- Treat your water, many "creeks" in Vermont flow from beaver ponds a few miles away!
- North Troy isn't easy to get to, but there are some shuttle services listed in the end-to-enders guide, you can take a train or bus to Burlington

In terms of resupply, I would recommend the following:
- Manchester Center
- Killington / Rutland
- Waitsfield
- Jonesville / Richmond
- Johnson

I would allow 3.5 weeks for this trip, but this depends on fitness, but the LT is a tough trail...this just means you might move slower than normal, but it's well worth it.

Have Fun!

stranger
05-02-2010, 13:12
Oh...you better like getting wet haha

stranger
05-02-2010, 14:07
Sorry for the double up posts, somehow I thought they were different treads, perhaps too many beers :p

Bleemus
05-08-2010, 21:36
I live near the trail by Manchester, VT. If I am around when you come through here just give me a call, if you have a cell on you, and I can come and get you and show you where everything is in town. I am in Maine for a week around July 19th. I am thru-hiking myself in August so would love to hear how the SOBO route was for you.

Bleemus
East Dorset, VT

802 342 3313

Cjevne
06-07-2010, 21:44
I did the Long Trail last year starting in mid July. Thought it was going to be hot and dry but as we all know that doesn't really seem to happen. I would say go North. I liked using the easy part in the beginning to get up to speed. Also you run into the AT hikers who really do have some great suggestions by the time that they hit VT. also the spectacular views near the end gave me at least that little boost i needed to push for the end. Ultimately its more about where you want to end. Have a great hike and good luck.

pedxing
06-07-2010, 22:19
Hey Bleemus - I'll be southbound in August. If you are going north (I think you said so somewhere), I'll likely run into you.

CanCan
06-12-2010, 20:49
I'll be section hiking at various times this summer. It would be nice to meet you all!

on_the_GOEZ
06-13-2010, 02:53
NOBO E2E last fall from sept 22 to oct 12. It was an amazing (-ly hard) trail! Have fun and be sure to get to as many summits as possible, especially Belvedere. THis is where I took some of my best pictures.

And whether to go NOBO or SOBO? This is all preference.. Hard then easy, or easy then hard..? For me, going through the toughest parts in the north made Journey's End that much better. It is, afterall, called JOURNEY'S END for a reason...

Oh and be sure to treat or filter water. I payed the consequences with "G." Its no fun... Hence forth i will forever treat my water.. 8 ))

Check out my LT gallery

Nean
06-13-2010, 11:38
Hiked the trail south in Oct. long ago and loved it. :)
10 years later north in June. Already hot, humid and springs drying up.:eek:
Seemed harder the second time. :o
Still, it was a great lttle walk.:banana
There was a B&B in Richmond that was hiker friendly and had a great breakfast. ;)

Every year is different as last summer proved.:sun

on_the_GOEZ
06-13-2010, 15:01
Hiked the trail south in Oct. long ago and loved it. :)
10 years later north in June. Already hot, humid and springs drying up.:eek:
Seemed harder the second time. :o
Still, it was a great lttle walk.:banana
There was a B&B in Richmond that was hiker friendly and had a great breakfast. ;)

Every year is different as last summer proved.:sun
Was the Bed and Breakfast the "pumpkin inn" or something like this with the giant wood stove in the kitchen? If so, I stayed here as well and they were very friendly. The man drove me to the TH the next morning after one of the best breakfasts ive ever had with maple syrup from their own back year!! MMM i can taste it now..

Nean
06-13-2010, 22:09
I'd remember if I saw it but some of that does sound familiar.:)

Great trail !;)

emerald
06-13-2010, 22:44
Preview post was a wonderful idea especially for those who don't donate.

Heater
06-13-2010, 23:46
Preview post was a wonderful idea especially for those who don't donate.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_KanRFQdfsoE/Scatsg3oJ0I/AAAAAAAACLE/8v0jbnIEwpQ/s400/Coffee_Talk_Linda_Richman.jpg
I would like to think that everyone,
even the "non-donating" members of
this site should still have a voice.

One lump or two, SOG?

The Phoenix
06-14-2010, 20:59
Is the Northern part of the LT that is rugged comparable to the whites or what? Does it compare to southern maine on the AT...?

Is 15 miles a day on average a reasonable game plan... not that game plans mean all that much when you get out there I just have a few dates I need to be places...

Sorry I have posted several other things inquiring about the Long Trail when everything I wanted to know is posted in these above!!

Much appreciated...

Godspeeed

Mags
06-14-2010, 21:11
The northern part of the LT was some of the hardest hiking I've ever done (terrain wise) period. Of course, I was in worse shape, had a heavier pack and it was my first long hike. :)

on_the_GOEZ
06-15-2010, 01:33
Is the Northern part of the LT that is rugged comparable to the whites or what? Does it compare to southern maine on the AT...?

Is 15 miles a day on average a reasonable game plan... not that game plans mean all that much when you get out there I just have a few dates I need to be places...

Sorry I have posted several other things inquiring about the Long Trail when everything I wanted to know is posted in these above!!

Much appreciated...

Godspeeed
Yes, quite simply the Northern part is considerably harder (and more rural) than the southern part. It begins right around the "Maine Junction." That begin said, the northern part is also the prettiest BECAUSE it is more rural and rugged. I would suggest trying to pump out a few 20+ days before reaching the Maine Junction and then slow up (I went from about 20 miles a day to 12-13 miles) to really take in the north. It is awesome up there! I Miss it already!

stranger
06-15-2010, 02:13
15 a day through the middle and northern LT is fine, this is depending on your fitness and experience levels of course, I would expect to be able to do the same mileage the whole way, it will just take longer north of Route 4.

The second time I hiked I went from Route 4 to Jonesville in 4.5 days, and granted, it was tough, but not all that dramatic. Where as the same section took me 7 days on my first hike. Alot depneds on you and you won't know until you get there.

Remember, you never really get into trail shape along the LT, it's just not long enough, I've always felt it takes me 350-400 miles to get in top physical condition (this is combined with pre-hike training of 4-6 weeks), so for many hikers...every day on the LT is difficult, and when you start to feel strong, well, you are finished!

That's one good reason to go southbound!

Tramper Al
06-15-2010, 09:19

Much appreciated...

Godspeeed
Your mileage per day is a personal thing, so I'll try to focus on the comparisons. But yes, I think 15 miles per day would not be an uncommon pace for an in-shape backpacker. I think in terms of degree of difficulty, per mile, that the AT in Southern Maine is a pretty good comparison for the northern LT. The LT differs, though, in that it receives a lot less traffic and I think a lot less brushing out. So it can seem a bit more rugged and wild form a vegetation standpoint. The LT does not have quite the same level of elevation gains or alpine zone travel as the Whites, of course.

ishmael1776
06-16-2010, 18:08
LRR,

do you have a solid itinerary yet? let us know.

Ishmael (from HF)

Tinker
06-16-2010, 23:18

Much appreciated...

Godspeeed

Mt. Mansfield (the Chin and the Forehead) are more difficult than anything in Maine short of the climb up Katahdin (even that's debatable). There are a few very tricky sections there. Otherwise, the northern LT is comparable to most of southern Maine.