PDA

View Full Version : When do I need to start wearing Blaze Orange?

wcgornto
09-14-2009, 14:03
I am in Duncannon, PA today and will be in Virginia in a week or so. I will be in Virginia late September and much of October, then NC/TN late October into November, then Georgia to finish.

Based on hunting seasons in these states, when do I need to begin to wear blaze orange to protect myself from clueless hunters? Also, other than Shenandoah and Great Smoky Mountain National Parks, is there anywhere where blaze orange is definitely not needed?

Thanks.

Mrs Baggins
09-14-2009, 14:10
Wow, we'll be out later this month in north GA, so NC - hadn't considered hunting season. Anyone know the dates in those areas?

jersey joe
09-14-2009, 14:12
I don't know the specific dates, but as a rule, all backpackers should wear bright colors(orange) at all times. There are hunters out there all year round regardless of the rules.

Jack Tarlin
09-14-2009, 14:16
Hunting seasons vary from state to state.

Your best bet is to Google "Pennsylvania Hunting Seasons Dates" (or whatever state you'll be in) and you'll immediately find the information you need.

Also, while it is unlikely you'll encounter hunters in areas or Parks where hunting is forbidden, one never knows. The prudent hiker ALWAYS wears blaze orange in hunting season regardless of where he happens to be.

Wilson
09-14-2009, 14:21
NC bow season open now. Most states by early Oct.

booney_1
09-14-2009, 14:22
In the western part of NC, bow and arrow season started last week.
Muzzle loading starts Oct 5. (just as dangerous as breech style guns)
Bear season starts Oct 12.
Deer gun (traditional) starts Nov 23.

I'd wear blaze from here on out.

toegem
09-14-2009, 14:33
Heard plenty of weapon reports while on Atkins to Damascus section hike last week, I would suggest now may not be a bad time to at least have a brightly colored pack or pack cover, it sure couldn't hurt.

OldStormcrow
09-14-2009, 15:49
Anywhere in the southern mountain region will be in some sort of season by Oct. 1st.

emerald
09-14-2009, 19:33
When do I need to start wearing blaze orange?

This question comes up every year and is answered with one link (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805497/k.C545/Hunting_and_the_AT.htm).

Captn
09-14-2009, 19:37
It depends entirely on how good you look in Orange!

I started wearing it year round after last year ... kept running into hunters.

CowHead
09-14-2009, 19:48
at birth if your in the woods

MikenSalem
09-14-2009, 19:59
Now till mid January have some orange on. Try and avoid white it looks like a deers butt and will get you in someone's scope at the least. Hunters are predators and are most active at dawn and dusk, low light situations. Always use a flashlight even if you don't need one at these times and keep it flitting about. OR invest in a cheep small blinking red light for low light conditions. It stands to reason you and the deer will both be headed to a water hole at dark in dry areas, and thats where I'd be waiting. As a general rule hunters are no more idiots than hikers they just have guns... Help them understand you aren't a game animal - don't blend in.

:clap My buddiy was hunting in lower SC and two love birds come stompin into view locked up and began groping and sliding to the ground like a pair of snakes trying to strangle each other. Then he yells out "Hey! ya'll have to do that here?" He said you never seen anyone trying to run so hard with their pants down..

Tuckahoe
09-14-2009, 20:15
Where would one get something like a blaze orange rain cover for a pack?

Tennessee Viking
09-14-2009, 20:26
Walmart and Tractor Supply are starting to sell wicking shirts in total Orange Blaze.

thestin
09-14-2009, 20:49
ATC sells blaze orange pack covers.

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=401&compid=1

Panzer1
09-14-2009, 21:09
Scheese, that's close. Were going out this weekend up by Port Clinton and archery season starts this weekend in PA but only south of I78, not far from we will be.

I'm still going to bring orange.

Panzer

Cripgun
09-14-2009, 21:31
In PA you start in September and wear it until March. Most people forget Turkey season in Pa has both a fall and a spring season.

Cripgun

Cripgun
09-14-2009, 21:38
Here in PA a goot distance of the AT runs through State Game Lands. Whenever I go hunting I see hikers all the time and some are wearing clothers that seem to ask to be shot at. The best advice I can give is to wear as much orange as you can and stay in the middle of the path, walking quietly.
Cripgun

emerald
09-14-2009, 21:45
The best advice I can give is to wear as much orange as you can and stay in the middle of the path, walking quietly.

When someone posts something like what I italicized, it's almost guaranteed to get a bunch of bytes. Several more can respond, now that I've called attention to it.