PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a pack

spreadx1
09-14-2009, 16:05
I'm looking to buy my first pack. It will be mostly used on 3-7 day hikes. I'm putting a little more emphasis on space/size right now until I have some more time/experience to trim down my packing list (I'm probably going to carry more early on and gradually figure out what can stay at home).

I'm looking at the following and would appreciate any comments or recommendations as to which would be the best purchase:

REI Flash 65
REI Ridgeline 65
Gregory Z65
Osprey Atmos 65
Osprey Aether 70
Osprey Aether 85

Peaks
09-14-2009, 16:59
First, before you buy any pack, take all your other gear to you local outfitter and practice loading up the various packs you are considering.

Having said that, Gregory and Osprey packs are both quality and popular packs. You will not be disappointed in either. House brand packs like the REI will certainly do the job, and be cheaper.

cwayman1
09-17-2009, 12:24
I know that the Flash 65 won the Backpacker Magazine 2009 Editor's Choice Award. You can youtube a video review from them on it and it seems pretty solid :)

lazy river road
09-17-2009, 12:52
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53872

I started the very same thread when I signed up for WB...read through it lots of good info...im still deciding and have it narrowed down to the

ULA Catalyst http://www.ula-equipment.com/
Gregory Baltoro 70
Osprey Argon 70
Osprey Aether 70

These are the four im deciding on...and like you plan on buying a big bag at first untill i get acclamated and can hike lighter

I did not like the Osprey Atmos 65 bc heard it knocks you in the head while you hike

Welcom to WB and happy trails to you

skinewmexico
09-17-2009, 12:58
Buy once, buy ULA.

bigcranky
09-17-2009, 13:05
Having owned or tried a lot of packs, I have to say I hated the new REI Flash 65. I really really wanted to like it. Oh well. Personal opinion and YMMV.

The Osprey Aether series is good, but I would get the Aether 60 over the larger packs. The 85 is really too big for the AT except in serious winter. (And I sold my 60 because it was too big.)

The ULA packs are great. Also check Gossamer Gear and Six Moon Designs. I got the Starlite on '04 and love it.

lazy river road
09-17-2009, 14:03
Is the ULA catalyst to big for the AT/LT hikes...I plan on end to ending the LT this summer. I fear the catalyst is to small but then again it will force me to pack lighter and to really evaluate my gear. I plan on going SOBO so I plan to start off with a fairly heavy load du to lack of resupply in the N. of the LT

Hooch
09-17-2009, 14:14
Is the ULA catalyst to big for the AT/LT hikes...I plan on end to ending the LT this summer. I fear the catalyst is to small but then again it will force me to pack lighter and to really evaluate my gear. I plan on going SOBO so I plan to start off with a fairly heavy load du to lack of resupply in the N. of the LT
The Catalyst is a very popular choice amongst thru-hikers. Not only for it's comfort, but roominess as well. You should have plenty of room in it for and end to end of the LT, as long as you don't try to carry everything but the proverbial kitchen sink.

Hooch
09-17-2009, 14:21
I'm looking to buy my first pack. It will be mostly used on 3-7 day hikes. I'm putting a little more emphasis on space/size right now until I have some more time/experience to trim down my packing list (I'm probably going to carry more early on and gradually figure out what can stay at home).

I'm looking at the following and would appreciate any comments or recommendations as to which would be the best purchase:

REI Flash 65
REI Ridgeline 65
Gregory Z65
Osprey Atmos 65
Osprey Aether 70
Osprey Aether 85

:welcome to Whiteblaze! Nice to see another Charlottean here.

I carried the Flash 65's predecesor and was happy with it until I found ULA and have been in a Catalyst ever since. However, the Flash 65 has won awards and has good stuff said about it. It's also a good, economical pack, as is the Ridgeline 65. Don't know much about Gregory packs, but I have a buddy that carries the Osprey Aether 85. This pack is huge! If you want to go with an Aether series pack, the 70 might be a good compromise. Best bet is to round up all your gear, take it with you to an outfitter (Great Outdoor Provision Co, Jesse Brown's, REI, etc) and try some packs out. I've got a friend who works at the REI in Pineville who won't steer you wrong. If you want his name, PM me and I'll give it to you. And if you're intereted in checking out a ULA pack, you can check out my Catalyst some time if you like. Good luck on your quest for the right pack. :D

le loupe
09-17-2009, 14:27
Buy once, buy ULA.

Or buy a second time and buy ULA.

Like me...

Jayboflavin04
09-21-2009, 07:24
Hey matt. I have the Aether 70 overall realy like the pack. It is really comfy. What I dont like about it is the weight, it also is pretty pricey. If you are confident that you can keep your total weight below 30 take a look at the ULA packs. Unfortunately there are only a couple places that sell them Mt Rogers outfitters being one, and I think ULA is not taking orders right now.

lazy river road
09-21-2009, 08:58
what is the max load a ULA Catalyst can carry...the website says 40...im worried I wont be albe to get my load down to 40 for my LT end to end this summer...the two I am looking at are the
Osprey Argon 70
or the
Gregory Baltoro 70

how do these two hold up to a catalyst

lazy river road
09-21-2009, 09:05
P.S. The Baltoro 70 and Osprey ARgon 70 seem to be about the same size as the catalyst but can carry a heavier load according to the website...why is this

royalusa
09-21-2009, 09:54
We had two Gregory packs blow out on us on our thru-hike last year. They are no longer made in the USA and do not have the quality construction of yester-year.

We are now ULA and Gossamer Gear fans. Our lightweight Mariposa made it the whole way to Maine and could make it again - it still looks brand new. We have always taken extra care with our packs, especially the lightweight ones - We do not site on them. We put the pack on/off by using the haul loop. We do not pack more weight than is recommended for the pack. And we avoid bushwhacking with Gossomer Gear packs - they are not made to take the abuse of a pack 2-5 pounds heavier.

Our ULA pack does not have a ton of miles on it yet, but we know it will go the distance. It is one of the more popular packs used on the PCT.

skinewmexico
09-21-2009, 10:22
My Catalyst is so big I rarely use it; it just encourages me to carry a bunch of crap I don't really need. I grab my Circuit a lot more often, and just picked up a Conduit for weekend trips. The thing to remember about ULA is that they are lightweight packs, unlike Gregory, so they are made to carry less weight. They can be occasionally abused in this manner, unlike a lot of ultralight packs. And there is nothing cooler than calling about a ULA pack, and the guy who is sewing them in his garage answers the phone, and your questions.

Like royalusa said, I also have a Mariposa that is a great pack, but as mentioned, it does require a different skill set. You don't just throw everything and the kitchen sink in one and stagger down the trail.

lazy river road
09-21-2009, 11:05
considering the LT will be my first end to end hike ever...i think im going to go with the Osprey Argon 70...im not ready to be an ultra lighter...if ive been reading post right...what ive heard and understand about the ULA packs is that it takes a more experienced hiker to use one...better packing skills...lighter gear...and more experience

royalusa
09-21-2009, 12:17
Anyone can carry a lighter weight pack, regardless of experience level, you just have to follow the guidelines for the recommended carry weight and don't abuse the pack.

Jester2000
09-21-2009, 12:56
I did not like the Osprey Atmos 65 bc heard it knocks you in the head while you hike

I carried the Atmos 65 on the PCT last year. I'm trying to figure out how it could knock you in the head. Theoretically one of my friends could have picked it up and hit me on the head with it, and they're the kind of people who would do something like that. But I never had a problem while wearing it.

I think the Aether 85, while a good pack, is really too big ('cause chances are you'll figure out a way too fill it with stuff).

The Aether 70 is a good compromise. Still pretty roomy, but not crazy big. I loved the Atmos 65, but I did have to make some decisions regarding what I wasn't going to carry, and it took some doing to fit what I did want to bring.

Spokes
09-21-2009, 13:12
I used the Atmos 65 this year and loved it. The only complaint from every thru hiker who had one (including me) was the mesh hipbelt pockets began to fray, get holes, and wear out almost immediately.

When will Osprey ditch this crappy mesh material? We may never know..............

Feral Bill
09-21-2009, 13:34
There are lots of good suggestions here, BUT fit is a very personal thing. Ask the packfitter/sales person about their backpacking experience and preferences, load up each prospect with your gear and some sandbags (simulate food/fuel/water weight). Make it heavy! Then hike around the store for at least 1/2 hour per pack and see what feels right. Buy that pack, or rent it for a trial run. If you buy at REI, be prepared to return it if it does not work on the trail. In any event, make sure it fits you right.

Jester2000
09-21-2009, 14:01
There are lots of good suggestions here, BUT fit is a very personal thing. Ask the packfitter/sales person about their backpacking experience and preferences, load up each prospect with your gear and some sandbags (simulate food/fuel/water weight). Make it heavy! Then hike around the store for at least 1/2 hour per pack and see what feels right. Buy that pack, or rent it for a trial run. If you buy at REI, be prepared to return it if it does not work on the trail. In any event, make sure it fits you right.

This is an excellent point. In addition, I'd like to say something about pack sizing. I just had a customer who wanted us to ship him a pack, and he wanted the large Aether 70 because it had more cubic inches. After 20 minutes on the phone I managed to convince him that the pack size had to fit his body, and that if he wanted more volume he should get the right size in a larger volume pack. I gave him instructions on measuring his torso.

He called me back later and said he needed a large, so we shipped it. When he got the pack it didn't fit, because he actually needed a medium pack and decided to ignore my advice. As a result he paid for shipping three times instead of one.

skinewmexico
09-21-2009, 15:15
Choosing the lightest tool available for the job does not make you an ultralighter, it just makes you more efficient. I'd sure try to get the 50# pack weight down, regardless of the pack you end up with.

cwayman1
09-21-2009, 17:01
Having owned or tried a lot of packs, I have to say I hated the new REI Flash 65. I really really wanted to like it. Oh well. Personal opinion and YMMV.

why did you hate this pack? just curious :)
and i agree that trying on a pack prior to purchasing is pivotal in the decision process! i got my kestrel 38 for Christmas and am very lucky that it rides so well :)

Boliche
09-21-2009, 18:16
Attended the SEHHA at Hot Springs, NC, this weekend. John MacEntyre has he Molly Mac Pack (www.MollyMacPack.com) there. I was intrigued by the concept. I like the idea that each individual item goes into its own sack and each sack is easily accesible. Check it out at his site.

bigcranky
09-21-2009, 18:31
why did you hate this pack? just curious :)
and i agree that trying on a pack prior to purchasing is pivotal in the decision process! i got my kestrel 38 for Christmas and am very lucky that it rides so well :)

I didn't like the framesheet, the suspension, the overall feel on my back with weight in it. What can I say? Packs are very personal. YMMV.

cwayman1
09-22-2009, 00:56
gotcha. just saying "i dont like it" is rather vague. i wasnt sure if it was something like chafing on your back or hips, or it distributed the load poorly :)and i couldn't agree with you more in that packs are personal!

goedde2
03-31-2010, 10:13
You might look at the Gregory Z 65. It has an arched mesh support that keeps the pack away from your back, to stay cooler, and a comfortable pad that fits in the small of your back. It also has a zip around feature that allows you to access everything from the back of your pack.

woodstock64
10-23-2010, 12:09
I have the REI Flash 65 and actually really like it. Its a great balance of size, weight, and features. Having said that I recognize that packs are very personal so why not try the REI pack 1st, since they have an extremely generous return policy. Basically if you use it and dont like it you can just return it no questions asked for a FULL refund. Then go buy one of the other packs.

Moose2001
10-23-2010, 12:39
The Aether 70 is a good compromise. Still pretty roomy, but not crazy big. I loved the Atmos 65, but I did have to make some decisions regarding what I wasn't going to carry, and it took some doing to fit what I did want to bring.

Making those decisions is a good thing. There's an old adage....that I believe is true....that says whatever size pack you have, you'll fill it up. Going with the 65 forces you to make some decisions on what to carry.

Jester2000
10-24-2010, 23:01
Making those decisions is a good thing. There's an old adage....that I believe is true....that says whatever size pack you have, you'll fill it up. Going with the 65 forces you to make some decisions on what to carry.

Absolutely true -- I agree with you completely. I still think that the 70 is a good compromise between the 65 and the 85, particularly for someone like the original poster, who was new to backpacking and might not at first have the experience necessary to be able to make those kinds of decisions.

70L still requires one to make choices.

skinewmexico
10-24-2010, 23:45
I fear the catalyst is to small but then again it will force me to pack lighter and to really evaluate my gear.

You say that like it's a bad thing.