PDA

View Full Version : Assembling cold weather gear - need stove

babbage
09-14-2009, 20:51
Its a toss up between the more adjustable Dragonfly and the sturdier Optimus Nova (not the plus model). Similar in price - but the most attractive difference is the metal vs plastic pumps. Several of the gear reviews claim that the plastic MSR pumps are prone to breakage, and that scares me. Apparently more prone to break in extreme temps. I had two whisperlights in the past - but as I understand it, now that REI owns MSR, their stoves are not as well made as the ones I used to own/use.

My needs:
Boil water
melt snow
cook (simmering would be nice, but not totally required)
sturdy
multifuel is not a requirement - White gas will be used
will be used in temps near and below 0*

Any suggestions --

XCskiNYC
09-14-2009, 21:56
Did you check out the Svea 123? Somewhat pricey new ($90 - $100) but there are thousands of these kicking around peoples closets and they seem to sell on e-bay for about $40. If you luck into one at a yard sale you might get a pretty awesome bargain as, with a little smudging, this stove doesn't look that impressive.

Very simple, reliable design. No pump. You just pour a little fuel into a dimple that runs in a circle at the top of the fuel tank around the stem, burn the fuel, and this pressurizes the fuel in the tank.

The stove is mostly made of brass, a plus for durability (and probably instrumental in so many of these stoves still running fine 40 years after date of manufacture) but a negative if you're trying to keep weight minimal. The stove itself is 18 ozs.

I don't know the exact temperature rating. You can check it out on the Optimus site. It is considered one of the best for cold weather operation.

Tinker
09-14-2009, 22:28
Same goes for Whisperlite stoves. Lots of them available used. They're lighter than a full Svea 123, hotter, quieter, and more stable. More parts to fiddle with though. I've rebuilt mine twice and added a new pump recently so I don't have trouble ordering p arts (all you ever need to replace are the O-rings and maybe the pump leather).
Good stove, and you can buy three sizes of tanks (last time I checked) for them depending upon your needs.

Snowleopard
09-14-2009, 23:46
Its a toss up between the more adjustable Dragonfly and the sturdier Optimus Nova (not the plus model). ...
My Optimus Nova has a pretty adjustable flame. I had an older Optimus, similar to the Nova, that I used a lot and they're reliable. I just haven't used the Nova much yet.

I don't think the Svea 123 is as suitable for melting snow as the Optimus or MSR. You'd need to use an insulating pad underneath it.

Another possibility is a canister stove with a preheat tube and inverted canister, such as Primus Etapower. Supposedly you can do a bit of trickery and use these down well below freezing.I've ordered a used one, but haven't got it yet. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=23857&disable_pagination=1

I do have a Primus Etapower pot (with heat exchanger on bottom) and it works well; a bit heavy, but definitely the pot I'll use for melting snow.

Jim Adams
09-15-2009, 01:31
Did you check out the Svea 123? Somewhat pricey new ($90 - $100) but there are thousands of these kicking around peoples closets and they seem to sell on e-bay for about $40. If you luck into one at a yard sale you might get a pretty awesome bargain as, with a little smudging, this stove doesn't look that impressive.

Very simple, reliable design. No pump. You just pour a little fuel into a dimple that runs in a circle at the top of the fuel tank around the stem, burn the fuel, and this pressurizes the fuel in the tank.

The stove is mostly made of brass, a plus for durability (and probably instrumental in so many of these stoves still running fine 40 years after date of manufacture) but a negative if you're trying to keep weight minimal. The stove itself is 18 ozs.

I don't know the exact temperature rating. You can check it out on the Optimus site. It is considered one of the best for cold weather operation.

real hard to simmer with the svea 123 and they are LOUD....but a great reliable stove for boiling.

geek

lazy river road
09-15-2009, 07:34
I have the MSR Wisper light international....used it in 20 degrees, burned effecient and boiled water fast...seemed easy enough for me to use and im new at all this

Funkmeister
09-15-2009, 08:19
To return to the question...I have a Dragonfly and have used it for a decade with no problems. That is, if you consider it's LOUD burn to not be a problem. I have no experience with the other stove the OP mentions.

Also--not sure if REI owns MSR. I do know that Cascade Designs owns MSR, and since I see the Whisperlite and Pocket Rocket on the shelf at my local EMS, I'd bet that REI has nothing to do with MSR, making your phrase 'now that REI owns MSR, their stoves are not as well made as the ones I used to own/use' invalid.

yaduck9
09-15-2009, 08:54
You may want to take a look at the coleman peak 1 stove with its unique canister system. Well regarded for winter use. the down side, coleman canisters may be hard to find. Some stores only carry the larger size.

Another option, optimus omni fuel, one can invert the canister for winter use, or if you don't like canisters you can use white gas in it.

for more on inverting canisters ( there is some risk involved ) see;

http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_StovesTech.htm

This link has more hard core info on stoves then you need.

LiamNZ
09-17-2009, 02:45
To return to the question...I have a Dragonfly and have used it for a decade with no problems. That is, if you consider it's LOUD burn to not be a problem. I have no experience with the other stove the OP mentions.

Also--not sure if REI owns MSR. I do know that Cascade Designs owns MSR, and since I see the Whisperlite and Pocket Rocket on the shelf at my local EMS, I'd bet that REI has nothing to do with MSR, making your phrase 'now that REI owns MSR, their stoves are not as well made as the ones I used to own/use' invalid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Safety_Research

"The company was acquired by REI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REI) in 1981.[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Safety_Research#cite_note-obit-1) In 2000, MSR merged with Edgeworks, the manufacturer of Moss, Walrus and Armadillo tents. Shortly after, these brands (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand) were discontinued and all tents are now branded under the MSR label. In August 2001, MSR was acquired by Cascade Designs."