PDA

View Full Version : Long Trail Resupply

slatchley
07-31-2004, 13:17
I'll try this one again. Do I really need to do bounce boxes, or drop boxes on the LT or can I get everything I need, including isobutane, in the town visits?

celt
07-31-2004, 15:01
The one item you mentioned specifically, isobutane, is one item I don't use. As for everything else, you can definitly resupply your food supply along the LT in larger towns like Johnson, Stowe, Waitsfield, Bristol, Middlebury, Rutland, Manchester Center or Bennington. They all have good grocery stores. The Jonesville Store gets mixed reviews because it is small but its right on the trail. Its good for food, not so good for specialty items.

If your looking for a good guide for long distance hiking on the LT get the GMC's end to end guide:
http://www.greenmountainclub.org/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=End-to-Ender's+Guide&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch

slatchley
07-31-2004, 15:38
Thanks. I had a feeling that I didn't need to bother with drop boxes, particularly since my food needs are very basic, ie I like Ramen and oatmeal and snickers. I am wondering about fuel for my pocket rocket, although I could just take enough fuel for the whole trip, god forbid!

Greenmountainguy
01-16-2017, 22:22
The only issue is the distance some towns and villages are from the trail. Manchester Center stores are at least 3 miles from the trail, more for the real business district. The Dorset store involves a walk of about 2 miles to Rt.7 and a hike of 2 miles north to the store. No canister fuel in Dorset, but it should be findable in Manchester and is in Rutland.
The stroll from the trail in Rutland to the Price Chopper/Walmart shopping center is at least 4 miles. You can find some stuff closer, like 3 miles or so.

Soggybottom
01-18-2017, 17:23
The first 117 miles the stores are close. The second part of the trail you can manage by asking locals and hitting towns. I setup bounce boxes but really didn't need to. You may want to set one up at Green Mt Hostel though. It is a nice waypoint for the first week. Plus you can supply in town too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NHWhites
01-21-2017, 10:57
You don't need to do bounce boxes. Are you planning on a hot breakfast and dinner or just dinner? I was able to make it the Tillitson shelter with one large fuel can and my pocket rocket boiling two cups of water twice a day

Dogwood
01-21-2017, 11:14
I assume within the last 12 yrs since this question was asked Slatchley has already figured out his/her own answers long ago.