PDA

View Full Version : Ouachita Nat. Forest - Eagle Rock Loop

jcramin
09-15-2009, 08:41
My son and I and a friend and his son are planning to do the Eagle Rock Loop in the Ouachita National Forest on October 9-13. This is going to be for the boys Backpacking Merit Badge for Boy Scouts, so it will be a 5 days and 30 miles, so we plan on doing some of the Points of Interest that are on the side trails so we can make a minimum 30 miles.

Can someone tell me the good things to see and do on the Eagle Rock Loop Trail and where are the best places to camp along the trail ?

Also any special things we may need to look for or take with us.

Thanks,
J

The Solemates
09-15-2009, 09:51
My son and I and a friend and his son are planning to do the Eagle Rock Loop in the Ouachita National Forest on October 9-13. This is going to be for the boys Backpacking Merit Badge for Boy Scouts, so it will be a 5 days and 30 miles, so we plan on doing some of the Points of Interest that are on the side trails so we can make a minimum 30 miles.

Can someone tell me the good things to see and do on the Eagle Rock Loop Trail and where are the best places to camp along the trail ?

Also any special things we may need to look for or take with us.

Thanks,
J

this trail has plenty of campspots, so i would not worry about scheduling one for each night...you will find one. this is a great little trail. its been a few years since i have done it (2005) but at that time there were no bridges across the many river crossings. if that is still the case, some of the crossings will be mid-thigh on young boys. its relatively easy...you'll have no problem covering the miles...in fact youll probably get done early. it took me only 1.5 days to do the loop. near the main parking area (the name escapes me right now, but its where 90% of the people park to do the loop), within the first mile literally, there is a side 'trail' that goes up to the summit of a craggy outlook (on your right hand side if doing the trail clockwise). if you can get up there early in the morning before the fog lifts, that is one of the best outlooks in the ozarks.

have fun. please obey leave no trace since you are taking a group.

jcramin
09-15-2009, 10:32
please obey leave no trace since you are taking a group.

That is why it will just be me, my friend and our two boys, We did one Troop backpacking trip and some of the boys refused to fallow Leave No Trace so we dont do Troop trips anymore.

J