PDA

View Full Version : dehydrating fish

LyttleBryan
09-15-2009, 10:44
My apt doesn't allow smokers, so I was thinking of dehydrating some tuna and salmon. Anyone ever tried it?

thanks!

LaurieAnn
09-15-2009, 11:33
yes... I've done it... get a fan and set it so it blows the air out of your apartment window... it's a little "fragrant". Make sure the fish you dry is already smoked, cured or cooked. You can make wonderful salmon jerky and you can dry fish to rehydrate for pasta/rice dishes, soups and wraps.

sarbar
09-15-2009, 12:08
Do it on your deck if you have one. It is not fragrant, rather it reeks and will stink up everything in your apartment for days. ;)

LaurieAnn
09-15-2009, 12:17
The reason fragrant was in quotes was that I was being sarcastic and that's why I posted the need for a fan to suck the air out of the kitchen.

The only problem with outside, Sarbar, is that one may encounter problems with stray cats or other critters if the apartment is on the ground floor. My friend had a big tomcat knock her's over on her second floor apartment balcony. There is also the issue of increased outside humidity depending on the region. The latter makes the dehydrator work inefficiently and can lead to problems with the food being properly dried in the appropriate amount of time. If the air outside is dry enough and you do use your balcony or porch - I would recommend a bug net over the dryer to keep any bugs out.

sarbar
09-15-2009, 12:21
Somehow I have never had "stray cats" be an issue. Many apts don't allow outdoor animals removing that issue.
Where I live we have the best humidity - same inside as outside. Only in the South would there be much of an issue - in the heat of summer or when storms are brewing on the East Coast. Otherwise, it is a great way to dry stinky items. Bugs are usually an issue in high summer, with fall coming not so big an issue.

LaurieAnn
09-15-2009, 12:33
Seems you haven't spent much time in the East. Humidity today for example, 73% (and I am further south than many places in Michigan and New York States). Flies are still an issue this year as the summer was a little cooler and wetter than normal.

Many cities have issues with feral/stray cats - and it has nothing to do with apartments not allowing outdoor animals.