PDA

View Full Version : Tarp users

GeneralLee10
09-15-2009, 12:13
I am curious to know something here. For the folks that use a tarp and tarp only on your thru hike. Did you ever have a night where you were not able to set up your tarp due to the surrounding area such as rocks mud etcetera. And if so what did you do for that certain night? Thank you

WalkingStick75
09-15-2009, 13:10
I use hiking poles so I use my poles to make various types of shelters depending on the weather conditions. Not hard to do and if the weather is bad I can eat and pack under my tarp so the last thing I do before I leave is shake as much rain off the tarp as possible, roll it up, stuff it and hike.

Phreak
09-15-2009, 13:13
I haven't thru-hiked but I tarp 8-9 months out of the year. Never had an issue finding a place to set it up.

dreamsoftrails
09-15-2009, 23:32
you won't have an issue finding a suitable place to camp. any time of year.

sbhikes
09-17-2009, 16:39
A tarp should be easier to set up than a tent when there are rocks and bushes in the way. No floor means the rocks and bushes can just be under the tarp. All you really need is space enough for your body.

spirit4earth
09-22-2009, 09:08
what are your opinions on the best all-round tarp size? it would be used mainly as an additional shelter to a tarptent.

sbhikes
09-22-2009, 13:19
Most people suggest an 8x10 or similar size. But if you are willing to practice setting it up before you go, I would say to get a poncho that can serve as a shelter. Then it will do double duty for you. I used a GoLite poncho for a month on the PCT and it was plenty roomy. My friend who is 6'5" tall used the same poncho for the entire PCT, even in rain and snow, but he also used a bivy sack.

dreamsoftrails
09-22-2009, 20:05
what are your opinions on the best all-round tarp size? it would be used mainly as an additional shelter to a tarptent.

if you are looking for an additional shelter, i would say the eight by five poncho size. however, if you are talking primary shelter, eight by ten seems to be the standard size.

redick1955
09-23-2009, 22:31
I haven't thru-hiked yet, but I like the tarp from antigravity gear. There's plenty of room underneath and it's easy to set up

GeneralLee10
09-26-2009, 23:20
For those of you that did use a tarp during your thru, did you happen to use trees to tie of your tarp or just your poles at the ground? I would think that rocks would prohibit one from using a stake at times. If you did encounter this problem what did you do to fix it?

Reid
09-26-2009, 23:49
There's lots of real estate out there. Finding a truly flat spot is harder than finding supple ground, to me at least.

dreamsoftrails
09-27-2009, 15:36
For those of you that did use a tarp during your thru, did you happen to use trees to tie of your tarp or just your poles at the ground? I would think that rocks would prohibit one from using a stake at times. If you did encounter this problem what did you do to fix it?

you can always just tie to a small log, use it as an anchor instead of a stake. may not be real taught but that is usually not necessary.

i always used trees, and this is feasible. the poles can work as well, just more fiddling. you can also use branches that are the right size and use those as end supports.

Wise Old Owl
09-27-2009, 15:46
Feel free to see General's tarps, click on my name and click Gallery. - He is WB member and only answers to PM's Well Worth it.