PDA

View Full Version : GeZar List: Input Wanted

Speakeasy
09-15-2009, 15:40
Hi - I'm planning a NOBO thru hike leaving next March and I finally have my gear together. I've done a shakedown hike in Southern ME and will be doing another section this weekend in MA. I'm still tweaking so any input would be greatly appreciated. I measured in ounces then converted to pounds. Here goes...

Pack: Dueter 45+10 - 54
Tent: REI Quarterdome T1 - 54
Bag: Marmot Helium - 31
Pad: Neo Air - 13
Total: 152 = 9.5 pounds

Kitchen
Zelph cat stove/windscreen - 1.6
GSI Soloist (pot only) - 7.3
Bic lighter - .7
TI spoon - .6
2L Platy - 3.3
Aqua Mira - 2.9
Fuel - 7.3
40ft paracord - 3.2
Total: 35.9 = 2.2 pounds

Clothing
Patagonia Cap 3 top&botton - 13.1
EMS fleece - 9
extra socks (2 pair Darn Tough) - 4.9
Marmot Driclime Windshirt - 9
Montbell UL Down Inner - 7.3
Baclava & Fleece Glove Liners - 3
Marmot Essence Rain Jacket - 8
Marmot Precip Pants - 8
Crocs - 9
Total: 71.3 = 4.5 pounds

Hygiene
TP & hand sanitizer - 5
toothpaste, floss, sm. pack towel - 2.9
Total: 7.9 = .49 pounds

Miscl
repair kit/first aid - 3
bug net - .9
BD headlamp - 3
Leatherman Micra 1.7
DEET .9
Sea to Summit Pack Cover - 3.9
compass - 1.2
cell - 3.6
camera - 4.6
Total: 30.9 = 1.9 pounds

Grand Total: 18.6 pounds

I'll be wearing:
TNF cargo shorts
Techwick T
Darn Tough socks
Vasque Breeze boots
Ball Cap
BD short gaiters
BD Trail Trekking pole (1)

Some items I forgot to put down: maps, glasses, ID, $ and chargers which will probably add at least a pound. I'm also keeping in mind that I'll be starting with cold weather gear and will be switching out as it warms up to less clothing and my summer bag.

I look forward to your input:banana

Speakeasy

Speakeasy
09-15-2009, 16:54
Oops. Should have proof read my post. I, of course, meant GEAR list...

Captain
09-15-2009, 20:16
Oops. Should have proof read my post. I, of course, meant GEAR list...

aint so....EASY.. is it.. ::snicker::

Speakeasy
09-15-2009, 20:20
I feel like such a MORON:eek:

Kerosene
09-15-2009, 22:43
Looks pretty good in general. I think you're carrying 1-2 pounds of extra weight with the tent, however. I'd consider looking at a TarpTent or SMD Lunar.

You don't say when you start out, but the Capilene 3 long underwear is either too little or too much in my opinion. You could go with a Cap-1 or -2 to save a bit of weight, or replace the bottoms with insulated pants (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/cocoon_ul_60_pant.html) or bulky Polarfleece 200 for more warmth.

While I really love baklava, it doesn't add much warmth outside of the calories you get from eating it! Now a balaclava on the other hand... :banana:banana

Speakeasy
09-16-2009, 02:33
Oops again. I was planning on starting the beginning of March but since I'm not really on a tight schedule I figure I'll start around April 15th. I also have a silkweight base layer that I can start out with if the cap 3 is too much...

Kerosene
09-16-2009, 11:32
If I was starting on Tax Day then I'd probably go with the silkweight, especially if you're going to be carrying the down jacket. I've found that I can be comfortable in camp down below 40F with clean dry long underwear, fleece, long pants, and my windproof rain gear over everything (plus a skullcap and gloves or an extra pair of wool socks). Your body gets acclimated to cooler temperatures once you've been out for 4-5 days. Of course, you can always climb into your sleeping bag if you're chilly.

Speakeasy
09-16-2009, 18:07
;)Thanks for the info. Kerosene

Ranc0r
09-16-2009, 19:20
I've always heard that you shouldn't start before Mar. 30. Maybe those were April fools giving advice.

I'd suggest changing the Cap 3 for Cap1 baselayer, since I think you'll get more mileage out of the lighter stuff, when really built into a layered system. You've got winter to test out your gear, so wear it outside and start thinking of it as an integrated system - I promise you that even if you end up NOT changing out anything, you'll learn a lot about your gear, if you just take the time and weather to think about clothing in a more (totally?) unified manner. HYOH, of course.

I don't see a bowl or cup. I like things besides water all the time, so I would include one or the other, and be able to eat while your tea/coffee/hot chocolate does its thing, or drink while your food cooks/re-hydrates. Either way, you're only adding an ounce or two to your kitchen, but you add some flexibility to your menu planning. I'll bet your soloist came with a cool insulated deal :-P

Good gezar list. Have a great hike.

Ranc0r

Speakeasy
09-16-2009, 21:40
I've always heard that you shouldn't start before Mar. 30. Maybe those were April fools giving advice.

I'd suggest changing the Cap 3 for Cap1 baselayer, since I think you'll get more mileage out of the lighter stuff, when really built into a layered system. You've got winter to test out your gear, so wear it outside and start thinking of it as an integrated system - I promise you that even if you end up NOT changing out anything, you'll learn a lot about your gear, if you just take the time and weather to think about clothing in a more (totally?) unified manner. HYOH, of course.

I don't see a bowl or cup. I like things besides water all the time, so I would include one or the other, and be able to eat while your tea/coffee/hot chocolate does its thing, or drink while your food cooks/re-hydrates. Either way, you're only adding an ounce or two to your kitchen, but you add some flexibility to your menu planning. I'll bet your soloist came with a cool insulated deal :-P

Good gezar list. Have a great hike.

Ranc0r

Good point about the base layer. I'm hiking this weekend so I'm hoping for some cool weather. I have a Snow Peak Ti cup that I wasn't going to bring but now that you mention it I might like a hot drink while I'm cooking. The soloist came with a bowl/cup thingy that I don't like. I'd rather eat out of the pot and bring along a "real" cup.

BrianLe
09-16-2009, 23:49
I don't use either bowl or cup --- these are sort of personal style issues, no right or wrong answers. For me a 20 oz bottle of Gatorade out new out of various trail towns works great as my "cup" for mixed drinks and just as an additional water container. I use the freezer bag cooking method so no bowl, just a spoon to clean (by licking it clean ...).

I agree about the cap 1 vs. cap 3, but very much depending on how you plan to use it ... if just wearing in camp, or maybe if you tend to overheat less than the average person, maybe the cap 3 is fine. I've hiked in cap 1 (shirt) in quite warm, bordering on hot weather, so it layers well for me. That said, I don't use capilene of any sort at this point, preferring a more efficient (better insulating) true warmth layer when stationary, and preferring a shirt with collar and pockets when moving.