PDA

View Full Version : Montbell Alpine Light vs Alpine Down Jacket

Earl Grey
09-15-2009, 20:53
So both of these jackets are practically the same its just the plain Alpine one has 2.0oz more down and cost a little more. Would it be worth it to get the regular Alpine? I dont know what kind of temps these are good down to cause I never had a down jacket but sometimes I go hiking in the teens.

Mocs123
09-16-2009, 16:50
I have the Mont-Bell UL Down Inner Jacket and the Mont-Bell Alpine Jacket, but not the Alpine Light Jacket. The main difference between the Alpine and the Alpine Light isnt just the 2oz of down, but the fact that the Alpine is fully baffled while the Alpine Light is sewn thru. The Alpine Jacket is seriously puffy and super warm, so warm in fact that I hardly ever use it. If I had it to do over again, I would probably go with the Alpine Light Parka, which is the Jacket with a hood. If you need a warm jacket good down to 10* or 0*, the Alpine is your jacket though, and is an absolute steal for a 800fill fully baffled down jacket.

Two Tents
09-17-2009, 08:01
I have the Mont-bell UL Down Inner Jacket as well. I am pleased with . As far as the jackets you are looking at it is a matter of the weight and how small it will pack. The Alpine, with its baffle construction and the extra down will be warmer but not pack as small as the Alpine Light. You stated you never had a down jacket. Well I have had a few over the years and I don't hike in them. My down jacket is for when I have stopped and start to cool down. I use mine a lot once I have stopped for the day and the next morning while breaking camp. Also I use it to sleep in if it is really cold.

Mocs123
09-17-2009, 10:31
Yeah, I will second what Two Tents said, a down jacket is NOT for hiking in, they are for camp use only. If you want something to hike in try fleece, although I can hike in temps down to the 20's with just a midweight base layer, wind jacket, and lightweight gloves and beanie.

Spokes
09-17-2009, 10:57
Montbell gets my vote.